Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Elan Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Elan Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boomerang Elan Question

I am putting together my 3rd Elan
Has anyone had to sand down the back side of the flaps where they meet fuse to get a good fit?
My servo's are humming like crazy in the up position. I go into travel adjustment to silence them and the flaps are dropped about a 1/4 inch to stop the humming.
I never had this with my last 2.
Should I just live with the flaps not fitting flush with the fuse or sand the inside to make them fit better??
Has anyone else had this situation with a newer Elan??

Thanks guys

Hoss
Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to re do the hinge points on mine to get things to fit almost right. I say almost as the fit between the 2 parts is ok but not great.

Great flying model and IMO the Elan is the best of the group but it sure would be nice if Alan could find a different/better factory to build em. I think his current supplier is burning him....

PaulD
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I had to rework my Sprint also. It still buzzes the servo when up all the way. But, ... it only takes .08 amps when it is up fully. Also, when you touch it and push it up just a tiny bit, the current reading drops to zero. I figure when flying the air pushes it up because I can get 6-8 flights on a couple 2000 mah batteries before they need to be recharged. When on the ground, I just leave it at 1/2 flap to stop the buzzing.

It helps to leave a healthy gap between the wing and flap. But, ... to get it perfect, I would have had to remove some material from the Fuse. Not sure why they have never bothered to fix this problem. It has been a known issue for years, just like several other known issues that they ignore and leave for us to deal with.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they don't match.. do what you must..
Old 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I wasn't happy with the way they were. I took a razor and cut them off. Than used my dremel with a cut off wheel and reslotted the flaps and glued in new CA hinges.
Than took my dremel and cut new slots in the TE of the fuse. I cut just a tad above the factory slot. Reinstalled it and it works perfect. They fit flush and no servo hum.
I kinda knew how to fix it but I made the post to see if someone had a better idea.
THANKS GUYS

Hoss
Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned I redid my hinges but still where not 100%.
My ones do stay down about 1 mm and it flies beautifully with hardly a trim change.
As mentioned a beautiful model to fly and excellent aerobatics.
Ivan