Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the highest performance engine on the market!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Welcome to the highest performance engine on the market!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:38 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Welcome to the highest performance engine on the market!

Hello everyone.

The new Merlin 200 XBL has just been announced.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collect...merlin-m200xbl

This engine features several impressive technical data, including:

Best power-to-weight ratio on the market.
Third best price-to-thrust-to-weight ratio on the market and best value of all engines in the 160 to 300 N including Chinese products.

Have a look here:

Choosing-the-right-engine-for-your-application

The engine is based on the venerable Merlin 160 concept that has been completely re-designed from the ground up using CAD design tools and a thermodynamics optimization program custom written by Gaspar himself. Obviously, Gaspar's 20 year experience in engine designing clearly shows here.

This turbine also features the new XBL concept: it is 100% digital, from the sensors to the control unit and starter motor as well as fuel pump ( brushless ).

This means the following for the starter motor:

• A much higher starting torque giving a more position clutch engagement and less clutch and o'ring wear.
  • A punchier starting thanks to the motor torque.
  • A more positive starter motor disengagement.
  • A more clever piloting of the starting cycle.

And for the fuel pump, the following benefits are achieved:

• Very precise control of the fuel metering since the ECU can pilot the pump pole by pole and control resolution is 1 RPM! Fuel metering s now to the milliliter!
  • Very fast change in the fuel flow output. The fuel flow is monitored 100 times per minute and precisely altered as soon as change in the combustion cycle is detected
  • In practice this means a much more stable combustion cycle. This is especially important for operating the engine in extreme outside air conditions. Very cold or very warm and humid, as well as in high density altitude conditions are not a problem for the new engine. Also, Idle regime is even more stable than before.
  • The brushless pump itself is a professional grade type. It features two ball bearings, automotive seals and reinforced pump gears.

The valves are integrated, saving some weight and installation complexity. Pump and ECU are external.

Finally, this engine shows the best fuel efficiency of all the engines available on the market on the paper. However this will have to be verified on the dynamometer. RCJI will certainly get one of these pretty soon and will be able to provide independent data on that matter.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 PM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gaspar and his team are the most innovative turbine builders out there these days and i wish them well with it. i'm waiting for the 35 to appear.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:25 AM
Jgwright

Oli

You have a mistake on your site. The engine is 200N not 140N! The price is very reasonable at $3390 and all in a case the same diameter as the old P80 but with 45 lb thrust.

John
Old 06-23-2014, 01:28 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Oli,

Sounds interesting.
How is servicing done in the US? Where are engines sent for repair and what is the typical turnaround time for a Merlin repair.?
also, what kind of warranty does the engine come with?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Oli

You have a mistake on your site. The engine is 200N not 140N! The price is very reasonable at $3390 and all in a case the same diameter as the old P80 but with 45 lb thrust.

John
Thanks John. Typo corrected.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli, also a few typo's on the text too ..... bang for your bugs??

....performant??

marcs
Old 06-23-2014, 03:50 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by -JC-
Hi Oli,

Sounds interesting.
How is servicing done in the US? Where are engines sent for repair and what is the typical turnaround time for a Merlin repair.?
also, what kind of warranty does the engine come with?
Servicing is done at our facility in Houston, up to bearing change.
We do not have the laser balancer as of now and hoping to receive it next month.
Until that time, bearing service has to be done in Spain.
Turnaround time for a repair largely depends on the type of repair. For any minor accessory or body replacement, things are done within a few days in Houston and turnaround time is not more than 10 days.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by marc s
Oli, also a few typo's on the text too ..... bang for your bugs??

....performant??

marcs
Thanks. Corrected!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by jetster81
Gaspar and his team are the most innovative turbine builders out there these days and i wish them well with it. i'm waiting for the 35 to appear.

Yep... I've been chatting with Gasper about the M35 for 2 years now. AND, he even put out a vid of it flying a year ago. Find out when he's getting that one out.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Yep... I've been chatting with Gasper about the M35 for 2 years now. AND, he even put out a vid of it flying a year ago. Find out when he's getting that one out.
Well, it is obviously easier to design a large efficient turbine than a sub miniature one.
Having a flying protoype does not mean that the thing is efficient enough or cost effective enough to reach the production stage.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by olnico
Well, it is obviously easier to design a large efficient turbine than a sub miniature one.
Having a flying protoype does not mean that the thing is efficient enough or cost effective enough to reach the production stage.
Absolutely. I understand. last we talked he said he needed to make a change to the NGV to make it more cost effective. But Lambert (kolibri) can do it. I'm sure Gaspar will be able to also.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM
celso

Hello

Does it run on diesel ( ulsd ) ??
Regards
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Dreamworks performs all Jetsmunt engine service in the USA, we have since we became the US dealer in 2004.... Including bearing changes and balancing.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico

• A much higher starting torque giving a more position clutch engagement and less clutch and o'ring wear.

Oli, what is "a more position clutch engagement" mean?

And wow, 200N for $3390?

What a deal. If Todd, and Oli, can endorse these, they must be great.

We need more reliable, cost effective turbines out there. Great job guys!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
[/LIST]

Oli, what is "a more position clutch engagement" mean?

And wow, 200N for $3390?

What a deal. If Todd, and Oli, can endorse these, they must be great.

We need more reliable, cost effective turbines out there. Great job guys!
I'm assuming he means "a more positive clutch engagement" - meaning that a brushless motor starts faster than a brushed motor, and thus the clutch will be spun out faster and engage the turbine shaft faster with less slippage on the O-ring - which would reduce o-ring wear...

Bob
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I like this more bang for the buck, very nice is there any fuel burn data available? The price has peaked my interest for my next project
Old 06-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Originally Posted by jetster81
Gaspar and his team are the most innovative turbine builders out there these days and i wish them well with it.
+1
Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
philjac94

Pricing for Australian and New Zealand customers.

All servicing and repairs are done by us, in most cases a 3 day turn around. Typical bearing change overnight.

http://jetproductsaustralia.com/home
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I think this will be my next turbine ,own two vt-80 s the best turbine on the market .
Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by sysiek
I think this will be my next turbine ,own two vt-80 s the best turbine on the market .
You're absolutely right Sysiek. The VT-80 has got the best price-to-thrust-to-weight ratio of all the engines available on the market right now.
It also features the lower TFSC of all the engine in the 20N to 160N range and is incredibly reliable.
Not many people realize it, but what Gaspar achieved with the VT-80 is absolutely phenomenal. Especially considering the small size of the engine.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/j...ur-application
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I like this more bang for the buck, very nice is there any fuel burn data available? The price has peaked my interest for my next project
550 gram/min at full thrust per manufacturer spec. Extremely low for the size. This together with the lowest weight in its class on the market makes for an incredible TFSC figure of 0.040.
Installed weight with 5 minutes of fuel is 4513 grams. A quantity equivalent of 2.713 kg of fuel or 3.5 litres/ 118 fl.oz will be enough for 10 minutes of flight in most cases.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I'm assuming he means "a more positive clutch engagement" - meaning that a brushless motor starts faster than a brushed motor, and thus the clutch will be spun out faster and engage the turbine shaft faster with less slippage on the O-ring - which would reduce o-ring wear...

Bob
You're absolutely correct Bob. One word missing here.

The benefits of the all digital control chain is also very evident in the engine weight saving.
Being able to use brusless motors makes the pump and starter motor much lighter.
The valves in the engine save tubing weight as well.

But the real expertize from Gaspar shows in the engine frame weight saving. He managed to shed almost 100 grams compared to its competitors by optimizing the engine design on CAD and choosing high spec materials.

It will take many, many years to its competitors to match the power-to-weight ratio and TFSC, all price considerations excluded.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Its about time we see brushless motors in our turbines. Talk about ZERO maintenance and more precise control.

When brushless motors hit the R/c world, my mind was blown.

I hope that we can change over to the brushless fuel pumps in our brushed engines! Very unlikely I feel.

Oli, I'm out of money man, I can't buy anymore of all these turbines you keep throwing out here!!!

Last edited by ravill; 06-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM
philjac94

The M200XBL showing her performance.
http://youtu.be/76XPBm9897M
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by ravill
Its about time we see brushless motors in our turbines. Talk about ZERO maintenance and more precise control.

When brushless motors hit the R/c world, my mind was blown.

I hope that we can change over to the brushless fuel pumps in our brushed engines! Very unlikely I feel.

Oli, I'm out of money man, I can't buy anymore of all these turbines you keep throwing out here!!!

But Raff, don't you think one of these would look great nestled inside a BVM F-100.. (I think I can see one in my future!!)

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.