Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What Gyros are you using for your jets.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What Gyros are you using for your jets.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,
No doubt on my mind that all these great gyros work just well, but one question strikes me.
Don't we need to adjust gain gyro on each axis?
That would need three separate channels to control them and it doesn't seem to be the case...
These three separate channels would also allow to turn on and off each axis/gyro independantly.
I only use gyros on ailerons on some of my jets, so I have no experience on multiple axis gyros.
Could you explain me why you guys don't need all the above.
Thanks for enlightning me.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

On the gyro system I use I adjust each individual axis manually on the unit itself. I then use the master gain adjustment on my flap channel. So anytime my flaps are down the gain gets turned up.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cortex has a preset set of individual gains and Stick priorities that has been determined to work for a large cross section of aircraft.. So all we vary is the master Gain, out of the box..

If an axis needs adjustment, we go into the software and tweak it via the web interface.. which is easy to do at the field with a laptop..

In most of the installations, no tweaking has been required.. The master gain, when sent the middle position removes the gain..

The cortex lets you select 2 presets just by varying the gain, bank 1 and 2. They can be any numbers/modes, but by default its attitude for 1 and HH for 2.

As far as flying it, what you notice is the aircraft is simply more stable, and the wind doesn't affect it near as much with the multiple axis gyro.. it stays where you put it. For me, it makes flying more enjoyable because I can focus on the maneuvers instead of all the tiny corrections needed.. It also makes landing much easier in wind..
Old 07-03-2014, 05:23 AM
Yann

Understood. But you have no way to in flight enable/disable one axis right?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Goose,

Any likelihood of a serial out version in the foreseeable? I know you said you would mention it to them?

Malcolm
Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steven_E,
Your comments on the AR636 receiver piqued my interest on trying a gyro in my jets. I recently acquired a Habu II airframe (gratis) and plan to power it with a Fury fan and some personal mods. Are there any parameters/settings with the AR 636 to start off with and get me in the ballpark for the initial flights? I've been flying the original Habu since it first became available and feel it would be a great testbed for a gyro installation.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 07-04-2014, 09:27 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Malcolm H
Goose,

Any likelihood of a serial out version in the foreseeable? I know you said you would mention it to them?

Malcolm
Malcolm
I have forwarded that info to Captron Bav Demon guys..

We have asked about:

-SXRL, Futuba, ppm out/pass, Full EX, UDI capability
-more power input by including a power wire Y on the bind port as part of the harness,
-6 or 7 outputs, so that we can get twin tail aircraft and nws
-Straight and level rescue mode like the heli has

...Im sure they will look at it for future, I do not know anything further
Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Yann
Understood. But you have no way to in flight enable/disable one axis right?
Yes and no.

You cannot disable one axis in flight without disabling the gyro totally with the default load

You can disable one axis using the laptop

You can set up the other bank identically, and disable an axis in it, so that you would just go from say -40% gain to 40% gain, the light would go green, and you would have your new settings..

In other words, you can build 2 presets.. We used this when setting up a Rafale, where we disabled the aileron and elevator, and added value to the rudder for determination of how much was needed to stop the dutch roll.. then we added back in the aileron/rudder values at a lesser value on subsequent flights..for example
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cortex runs in 1 mode only at any given time. You can't split the surfaces in different modes.
Just to clarify, you can use the software to set the rudder to Hold mode whilst the ailerons and elevators remain in Norm but you can't vary this for individual outputs, so you couldn't have nose wheel steering in Norm whilst the rudder is in Hold.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Walo

Basic Question: What happens with the ailerons in a spin? Don't they go in the wrong direction (against roll), leading to a flat spin?

Regards, Walter
Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Yann

GooseF22,
OK got it. Thank you for your explanation.
I guess this is where the cortex has an edge on the guardian (which I have).
With the cortex, you can preset whatever settings you want (including axis off) for each axis,
and you can switch presets in fight.
While flying, I understand you have two presets plus gyros off to choose from.
It sounds like the cortex is the little device I was looking for.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Walo
Basic Question: What happens with the ailerons in a spin? Don't they go in the wrong direction (against roll), leading to a flat spin?

Regards, Walter
While I haven't tried a spin with my Cortex, I don't think it should be any different than any other maneuver. The Cortex doesn't try to fight you but rather maintain a relatively constant rate of change in each axis based on stick inputs. I had to get used to applying very little (almost no) rudder and elevator corrections during rolling maneuvers as when you input rudder, it thinks you are actually trying to induce Yaw, rather than simply maintain heading..
Old 07-04-2014, 01:47 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by wfield0455
While I haven't tried a spin with my Cortex, I don't think it should be any different than any other maneuver. The Cortex doesn't try to fight you but rather maintain a relatively constant rate of change in each axis based on stick inputs. I had to get used to applying very little (almost no) rudder and elevator corrections during rolling maneuvers as when you input rudder, it thinks you are actually trying to induce Yaw, rather than simply maintain heading..
Yes Yann, you got it..

Walter,
I found it harder to spin though because it tries to hold the aircraft steady until I override it in the stall.. when you neutralize the controls, it will try to fly it out.

so it kinda slows things down.. I would have to ask the 3D guys how it behaves on the big gassers.. I know they sure like it though.. It will hover hands free, and it does deep stall harrier work nicely..

We put it on a foamy at toledo, set the throttle, and just let it hover.. then just bumped it with our finger to watch it self correct.. its pretty cool system.. have fun..
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Steven_E,
Kindly cancel my request for setup parameters for the Spektrum AR636 Receiver with gyro stabilization. I viewed the tutorial on Horizon's site and gleaned the all the info I requested. I now plan to use the ET Guardian as a test gyro in my Habu 2. Also, the AR636 is 6 channels only and I'd like 7 or more for my jets. Both the 7 and 9 channel versions of the AR are currently out-of-stock.
Rgds
Art ARRO
Old 07-10-2014, 02:29 AM
captainjacobs

Hi guys,
I have a question to bavarian demon cortex gyro users.
I would like to use one in a turbine powered jet, is the ultra-acoustic suppression hood required ?
Thanks you.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by captainjacobs
Hi guys,
I have a question to bavarian demon cortex gyro users.
I would like to use one in a turbine powered jet, is the ultra-acoustic suppression hood required ?
Thanks you.

It it is not required unless you have a version one unit.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

how does it affect glide slope for landings??
Old 07-10-2014, 03:47 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR
how does it affect glide slope for landings??
Nicely.. makes it rock solid on approach.. just trim the model as you normally would.. it holds the wings steady, and the round out smooth..
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 PM
haisanjafri

Default Cortex ULTRA-ACOUSTIC SUPPRESSION HOOD

Installed Cortex in a Futura 2.5m Jet with 220N turbine. I do not have following accessory with me at the moment:-

http://shop.bavariandemon.com/en/ind..._store=default

Just want to know how important it is to use Or may fly without it Or any alternate home made solution?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2016, 11:00 PM
gooseF22

acoustic hood No longer needed.. press on.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:03 PM
haisanjafri

Roger that GooseF22
Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I think I must be the last guy out there not using gyros. I've never had a gyro in any jet. Not even ones where guys said they were needed such as my old bobcat.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:25 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not alone Jeremy, sold all my expo also.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Gordon W

Originally Posted by karl hibbs
You are not alone Jeremy, sold all my expo also.
I just zeroed out the expo when I fitted my planes with gyros. I didn't think anyone would want to buy it

Gordon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.