Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon with 18MZ

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon with 18MZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bavarian Demon with 18MZ

I'm sure this has been asked, but not getting any results with my google searches. I'm finally getting around to installing mine & have a setup question. Currently my aux lead is plugged into CH-7 of my rx, & Im using my ATV to adjust gain. The lowest the ATV goes is 30%, & I would like to try 20% for clean flight. I've started playing with the "Gyro" function, but am unsure how to assign it to CH-7, or if this would even be the way to go.
Anyone else using this combo?
Thanks, Jay
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jay, the ATV will only go to 30% but you can use the AFR menu to reduce it as far as you want. The intent is that the ATV menu is the "absolute travel limit" (e.g. binding of linkages) and the AFR menu is intended for reducing operational throws, etc.

I am also interested in using a Cortex with my 18MZ so please keep us posted as you learn more.

I kind of like the iGyro and one cool thing it does that none of the other gyros do (as far as I know) is that it puts the gyro corrections back into the signals and creates a new SBus stream with the gyro corrections embedded. This is great if you only have one line going to a wing. I like the wiring that is made for the Robbe PSS2018, and I use their wiring and sockets (very heavy duty) even in some installs where I don't use the PSS unit itself.

Dave McQ
Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, can the PSS unit be used with a iGyro?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
I'm sure this has been asked, but not getting any results with my google searches. I'm finally getting around to installing mine & have a setup question. Currently my aux lead is plugged into CH-7 of my rx, & Im using my ATV to adjust gain. The lowest the ATV goes is 30%, & I would like to try 20% for clean flight. I've started playing with the "Gyro" function, but am unsure how to assign it to CH-7, or if this would even be the way to go.
Anyone else using this combo?
Thanks, Jay
Jay,
yes use the gyro function. First go into your function menu and "Null" channel 7. Then go into your gyro function. There you will set the switch your want to use. Set the gyro type to "GY" and mode to "normal" then you will assign the % for each switch position. The default will be zero, you will want the off position at zero(red), middle at 20%(amber) and top at 40%(amber) in your servo monitor you will see the output is a much higher number.

Next when you do your gyro programming(learning) make sure all of your surfaces move the same amount either through using the rates switches or you may may have to limit your atv for this just be sure to write down your throws.

Follow the cortex programming instructions, verify the compensation is correct go fly and enjoy.

Last edited by Bob_B; 06-28-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:35 AM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by dubd
Dave, can the PSS unit be used with a iGyro?
Yes it can .. I've done so. But .. if you are using two receivers, you'd have to plug both of them into the iGyro first, use the iGyro's function to switch to the RX with the better signal, and then feed the SBus (Digital out) from the iGyro to the PSS .. so the PSS would only "think" it had one receiver (which is fine, though it can also handle two RXs itself).

You could use both Digital outs (elevator and rudder B become digital Sbus outputs if Dig Out is selected) from the iGyro and feed both RX inputs on the PSS to be redundant on wiring but of course it would be exactly the same signal on both lines. I asked Powerbox if if they put signal strength back into the new reconstruted SBus output (ideally replicating the signal strength from the two RXs connected to the iGyro) they create and they said no, they do not do that. Which is fine since you have their device handling RX switching.

Plugging it the other way around, two RXs into the PSS, then one of the Sbus outputs from the PSS to the iGyro would also work but it would not make good use of the four redundant SBus feeds from the PSS, which is its main value.

If you are only using one RX like most Futaba installs (I only have one airplane with two RXs), then it's the same setup just a tad simpler.

Dave
Old 06-28-2014, 06:31 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, Thanks for the explanation. Any idea if the PSS will work with a Cortex?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM
BlueBus320

Thanks guys, trying it now
Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM
BlueBus320

Still working on it..lol Will attach a pic of my gyro page if I can't get it to work off the gyro menu
Thanks, Jay

Last edited by BlueBus320; 06-28-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 PM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by dubd
Dave, Thanks for the explanation. Any idea if the PSS will work with a Cortex?
Yes, I am sure it would .. can the cortex output SBus? I did not think it could ..

So you'd be giving up most of the function of the PSS, which is redundant RX and battery feeding four independent Sbus outputs. So, while you could make it work I, don't see the point. I suppose you could use the 9 "regular" outputs on the PSS to feed non-Sbus signals for the gryo-d channels to the cortex .. then direct to servos .. but again, no real point in doing that, the PSS does not add any benefit in that setup.

Maybe I am missing something .. I don't have a Cortex but have seen a few installs in my friends' planes. If the gyro can't put out an Sbus stream with the gyro corrections then the PSS adds essentially no value. If you want to do a system with battery redundancy and buffered outputs. perhaps the RX, feeding a Cortex, then the coretex outputs instead of the RX feeding on of the SmartFly units like the Powerexpader competition 12. you would put the cortex onto the SmartFly "deck" and use its outputs to feed the white wires. You might also need some 3 output Sbus decoders since you'd be giving up most of the benefit of Sbus. The only good reason to do this (vs. using a 6014 RX) is to have telemetry . .which is nice.

I have done some "quasi" sbus setups on small planes without gyros. The setup is simple: use one 7008SB RX. take the Sbus output to one of the Futaba 4-way terminal blocks, using one for Sbus "in" then the other three ports can be "Sbus out".

Next, set up the 7008SB receiver for 1-8 or 9-16 as you prefer, with Sbus output (mode 2 or 4). Run the RX outputs to 8 of the 12 white wires on the Powerexpander as usual for stuff like retract valves, brakes, etc that are probably non-Sbus .. then take the three outputs of Sbus you just made with the terminal block and run them to 3 more of the white wires and you get 3 sbus lines, each that can supply 4amps. I run one of these to the right wing, one to the left wing, and one to the tail and either use sbus servos in the wings and tail or put the 1:3 decoders in the wing or tail. I have a SM F-4 set up this way and it works great, and is very convenient to only have one wire to plug in for the wings :-)

No "slick" way to add a gyro to this setup except for the iGyro where it recreates an Sbus signal with the gyro corrections in it...

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 06-28-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:05 PM
BlueBus320

Here's my gyro page. Is there any advantage to using this "gyro" function of the 18mz? I haven't gotten this to work, but seems to be fine by assigning a channel to a switch & adjusting gain via AFR.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140628_215600.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2009641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140628_215534.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	2009642  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Here's my gyro page. Is there any advantage to using this "gyro" function of the 18mz? I haven't gotten this to work, but seems to be fine by assigning a channel to a switch & adjusting gain via AFR.
I'd be interested to hear comments on this. I am pretty good at futaba programming, and never saw much benefit here vs simpler methods (that you cite), but maybe the real gurus can explain...
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, Im using the Cortex with SBUS in and pwm out to the servos. No need to use the gyro menu in the 18 mz it just complicates a simple set up. I used the software and removed the heading hold from the second bank. Use the cortex with a 3 position switch and when your happy with the AFR settings link it to your gear or flap switch to give you one rate for cruise flight and the other for landing and slow flight. I love my I gyro , but the cortex is sweet and way easier to set up. Im flying it in a BVM Mig15 and its rock solid.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 PM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by ww2birds
I'd be interested to hear comments on this. I am pretty good at futaba programming, and never saw much benefit here vs simpler methods (that you cite), but maybe the real gurus can explain...
It appears to work as advertised without the "gyro" function. By adjusting the travel I can see a marked difference (while moving model) between my switches 20% position & 40% position. If I get a chance, I am comfortable flying it like this.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
BlueBus320

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
Dave, Im using the Cortex with SBUS in and pwm out to the servos. No need to use the gyro menu in the 18 mz it just complicates a simple set up. I used the software and removed the heading hold from the second bank. Use the cortex with a 3 position switch and when your happy with the AFR settings link it to your gear or flap switch to give you one rate for cruise flight and the other for landing and slow flight. I love my I gyro , but the cortex is sweet and way easier to set up. Im flying it in a BVM Mig15 and its rock solid.
Thanks Don, will do
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I started using the cortex before the PC software was available. So this setup allowed off and two rate modes, BB I setup the gains on rate 1 only, 0% then 20% then 40% go to the switch menu and assign each of the settings.

Last edited by Bob_B; 06-29-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:57 AM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by ww2birds
just to be clear .. I think gyros are perfectly useful . .the "not much benefit" comment was directed at the gyro menu .. not the gyro!!

:-)

thanks Don for the comments on the Cortex.

Dave