Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

kero start wren spitting flames?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

kero start wren spitting flames?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kero start wren spitting flames?

I have a new Excalibur that I was going to fit a wren 80 kero in and I was trying to find out from owners if they spit much flame out of the back on start up. I don't want a bbq on my first flight!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a good idea to get a steel tube on a small stand to put behind the turbine on start up especially with Jets that have the stab and booms behind. This way on a hot start if you have one no damage will be done.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My Wren Jubilee starts smoothly quietly and cleanly.

But yes, it will not do any harm to protect the tail with a metal tunnel until you are sure.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

But yes, it will not do any harm to protect the tail with a metal tunnel until you are sure.
Or just a piece of flat sheet metal bent at about 90 degrees, sort of like a little tent. - John.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Aluminum tape under the elevator will help. The tube is the ultimate in safety... but it's a pain to use all the time.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:53 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the Jubilee is set up right, it starts very smoothly.. Before you buy it, it is run on the test stand and tweaked a bit.

It also helps to never start into a tailwind.

Run the motor a few times without the tail or with a pipe after setting up. before first flight...

I put alum tape on the underside of the stab on all my high tail units just as a precaution..
Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

I recommend lowering the Pump Start Parameter a couple of units to eliminate the flaming during startups. See the Troubleshooting Section of the Operators Manual for further discussion on this. It's call an "aggressive start".
Also, I noted that you're in the UK and I would ring up Wren directly for their advice on this. I recently had an issue with my Wren 44K Gold and Mike himself sorted it all out- now starts and runs just fine afterwards.
Rgds,
Art ARRO