Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Highland Jets Countdown

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Highland Jets Countdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highland Jets Countdown

Highland Jets will kickoff in 2 weeks at the Frankfort-Highland Airport in scenic Central NY. This event features the low key/pilot friendly theme of the former Capitol Jets, previously held in upstate NY during this mid-summer period. The afternoon of Friday, July 18th is reserved for Pilots Only to perform test flights, fam hops and general site orientation. A club-hosted Pizza Party will end this flying session about 6 PM. The spectator public is invited to witness model jet flying first hand on both Sat. and Sun. beginning at 10 AM. Food and drink will be available on both these days.
Highland Jets is AMA-sanctioned and JPO has donated their prestigious Top Gun award to the event. The winner will be determined by flight judging a short schedule of jet scale maneuvers flown to Jet World Masters (JWM) standards. These maneuvers are similar to those flown for turbine waiver qualification. This flight judging segment replaces the usual noontime runway lineup of jets although a model display may be held at the spectator fence line. Glow DF, EDF and turbine jets are all welcome but must takeoff and land on the 2800' x 60' paved runway. No hand or bungee launches are permitted.
Further info on Highland Jets is available on our clubsite; www.myfirebirds.com or via direct PM to me. Plan now to attend and bring a friend or jet bud to participate in some model jet flying in Central NY. I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.
Rgds,
Art ARRO, AMA Leader Member/CD
Old 07-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Art, I am just curious if you polled any of the pilots to see if they wanted to fly the WJM maneuvers? We travel to these events for fun, not to compete. That's what Top Gun is for and the WJM. I raised this question when Len wanted to do this at the Big Apple last month and to make a long story short out of all the pilots that showed up, Zero signed up. Len has a pile of forms and score cards he may want donate to you! Just my two cents , but I would rather explain my scale jet to a spectator at noon time out on the runway than doing what your proposing.

Don

Oh yeah please let me know if your going to have any of that expensive mud I bought last year. I will bring my own shovel this year!!!!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:41 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Art,
What hotel do most of the guys stay at?

Don.... should I bring a shovel or may I rent yours?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Art ARRO

Mike,
Event lodging info is listed on the flyer sent to you and posted on the club website; www.mvfirebirds.com. Note this site is the correct one as there was a typo in my original RCU message.
Last year most guys stayed at the motels listed for West Utica and Herkimer. This year some guys (and gals) wanted to upscale and the Hampton Inn & Suites in New Hartford is now a preferred location. Their contact info is: 1-315-793-1600 or www.hampton.com. This location avoids some of the ongoing road construction in Utica and is more convenient to the field. I plan to visit them to check on any group discount rates and will advise on this thread.
Don's "mud" situation was caused by parking his big rig in a rain soaked swale. This year we plan to park all big rigs and RV's alongside the paved county road adjoining the field. It should not be a problem.
Rgds,
Art
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Jetkopter

Art, do you mean the road all the way on the other side of the airport? Is the guy who robbed me last year , is he going to be running a shuttle service back and forth from there if he is I am going to have Lesher bring his gun so at least this year we can negotiate. Mike bring your own shovel because the ones for rent at this event cost $600.00 for the fist 15 minutes. Ask me how I know!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Art ARRO

Don,
Parking for RV's and big rigs will be on Gulf Road, next to the club pavilion, where most pilots parked their rigs last year. The "shovel" that you "hired" last year was a heavy construction front loader from an local escavaton outfit. I did not appreciate their charge either but could do little to challenge it.
On the scale flight judging trials, I discussed this at the Plum Island Jet Rally last month and received mixed comments. I also spoke with Len after the BAJR. Basically, the purpose of this trial is to expose jet pilots to perform some scale maneuvers during their flights. Currently, it seems that a low pass is the classic signature maneuver for most pilots. The selected scale maneuvers are derived from the F4J shedule and similar to those flown for the flight portion of turbine waiver qualification. There are 8 maneuvers, including takeoff and landing, that can be flown in a single 6-7 minute flight. I expect this entire trial can be conducted during the noontime break. Also, this will not detract from a static display which can be held alongside the spectator fence at our site.
Let me know if you plan to attend the event.
Rgds,
Art

Last edited by Art ARRO; 07-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Jetkopter

Art, I am telling you the same thing I told Len," BAD IDEA" Lets see If you have 25 pilots and you have to fly 7 minutes plus taxi and start up you do the math and tell me are you planning a three hour noon time break? I fly at just about every event I can get to on the east coast, every time some one wants to do something at noon time it ends up being a "well I didn't think it was going to take that long" if you want to give intro flights for the kids at noon I am for it, if you want me to sit on my butt and watch IMAC or some thing with the same format I am against it. The pilots travel to events to fly the way they want to fly because the ENJOY the way they fly. The don't like giving up there flying time for something they have no interest in, like the F4J maneuvers. They all past there check rides already! Times have change most of these guys don't care about WJM or competing there going out to bore holes in the sky the way they see fit. Have a low pass contest, they will all sign up! Trust me the ones who said they might be interested just didn't want to tell you its boring, cause the same guys who voice there opinions at all the other events that they hate the noon time stuff but don't tell the CD because they don't want to rock the boat. Sorry I don't sugar coat , it is what it is! As for the RV parking are you saying its on the grass same spot as last year? Let me know, I am on my way to Kentucky Jets, No IMAC NO F4J crap , but plenty low passes there!!!! If I have any money left for fuel after Kentucky I am planning to come to your event and I will personally video tape all the guys who complain about noontime but say nothing to you.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 AM
Art ARRO

Don,
Firstly, the scale flight judging trial at Highland Jets will be voluntary for those pilots that elect to participate. Of the 2 dozen total pilots I expect, only 6-8 may participate in the trial and should consume no more than 1 hour around noon. If additional pilots sign up, then the Sunday noon slot will be used to accomodate them. Secondly, this trial is to survey jet pilots' interest in flying these scale jet maneuvers with the award of the JPO Top Gun trophy as an incentive. Depending on the participation and results this trial will influence the generation of a new event held at a regional or national level. We plan a total of 20 hours of jet flying at Highland with 1 or possibly 2 hours for these trials.
RV parking will be off Gulf Road adjacent to the club pavilon on a sod surface-should not be a problem. Sorry our host club could not afford paved parking locations for the RV's that attend this event. Have a safe trip and lots of low passes at JOK.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM
f106jax

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
I am going to have Lesher bring his gun so at least this year we can negotiate. Mike bring your own shovel because the ones for rent at this event cost $600.00 for the fist 15 minutes. Ask me how I know!
Don,
I'll bring both so we'll be in good shape either way.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:40 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Don on this one. Another 'gotcha' is the Top Gun Trophy award being unattainable to those who don't participate in the noon competition.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Oh nooooo not noon time shows...... Let us fly! Also on Sundays nothing kills an event faster than a noon time show. Normally I would stay until 2 ish... You stop for noon for a "show" of any type we pack up early and head home. Like Don said. We are looking to get together with good friends and burn some Kero!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Square Nozzle

I seem to be on the side of the majority here. I don't plan on doing any maneuvers for a piece of plastic and metal but I also am willing to have Art do his thing to see how it works out. I would enjoy watching some maneuvers during a short period of down time. As Big Bri noted, I'm there to spend some time enjoying good friends and burning some kero.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Art ARRO

Hi ALL,
I have acknowledged the pilot's comments posted on this thread along with several direct telecons and offer the following update regarding Highland Jets scheduled for July 18-20, 2014. The stated consensus is that there is little or no interest in conducting a jet scale maneuver judging trial as originally planned. As a background, this trial was proposed by JPO to expose model jet pilots to typical jet scale maneuvers during their flight routines. A decision to hold or cancel this trial will be decided upon by a simple "thumbs up or down vote" taken during the Pilot's Briefing. Also, the award of the JPO Top Gun trophy will now be open to all entrants and determined by a Pilot's Choice ballot.
I recognize that these jet rallies are held for the pilots' pure enjoyment and trust that this update will quell any concerns on the subject.
Meanwhile. the MV Firebirds club eagerly looks forward to hosting 2014 Highland Jets and is seeking a large turnout. Our goal is to provide a safe and friendly venue to fly your jets to total satisfaction along with the social aspects of the event.
Kindly contact me directly or via PM with any comments on this update.
Rgds,
Art ARRO, CD and AMA Leader Member.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM
FILE IFR

Originally Posted by Art ARRO
As a background, this trial was proposed by JPO to expose model jet pilots to typical jet scale maneuvers during their flight routines.

That's an odd suggestion from the JPO. The scale guys certainly fly the way their jets are intended, same goes for the sport pilots.

Frank's Capitol Jets event stopped at noon for the interest of the public to have a chance to fly a buddy-boxed rc plane. That's great PR and registered pilots can understand that, the proposed trial is a little different in the nature of a traditional jet rally.

I'm curious to know if not doing the JPO 'trial' will truly disappoint anyone.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning my friends!

I've been monitoring the discussion at hand. I am pleased to see that a solution to the proposed mid day activity at the event will be executed during the pilots morning meeting.

This is one event that will sorely be missed by us. The flying site is supreme to many sites in the northeast, and admittingly, even better than what we had to offer at our former Capitol Jets!

I wish all that are planning to attend the best of times, and many safe flights with your jets.

In the mean time, Karen and I continue to press forward in standing up our new digs, Along with the home addition to
accommodate my new 26 x 16 pro shop, and many other things, we anticipate that we will be back in circulation on the jet scene in about three to four months out from now. Oh, on the "southern" jet scenes while its cold up that way!

Take care for now folks,
Frank

Last edited by Frank Alvarez; 07-11-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Art ARRO

Hi Mike,
You can ask JPO directly on the intent of this "trial" as they plan to attend on Sat.
It would be appreciated if you could bring your heli and "Old Glory" to open the event along with our national anthem, as played by a fellow club member.
I look forward to seeing everyone in a weeks time.
Rgds,
Art
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Art ARRO

Highland Jets 2014 concluded with18 pilots from 5 states that brought 28 model jets to fly under "delightful" weather conditions. The model breakdown was 6 scale jets, 18 sport jets and 4 EDFs. The F-4 Phantom was the most popular scale jet and the Reaction topped the sport category. Habu 32's comprised the EDFs. Twenty hours of open flying were scheduled and jets filled the skies until Sunday's closure. Full scale movements at Frankfort-Highland Airport were few in number resulting in minimal downtime for the model pilots. Three flight stations were utilized, with the pilots and their spotters managing their own takeoffs and landings.
The proposed scale flight judging trial was voted down at the first Pilot's Meeting and the JPO Top Gun award determined by a Pilot's Choice ballot. The winner was Jeff Lynds flying his CARF CT-114 Tutor in the Canadian Snowbirds scheme along with his Yellow AC F-15 Eagle. Jeff's Tutor featured smoke and lights which were demonstrated during his scale flight routines. The other pilots showcased their jets to an enthusiatic crowd of spectators that attended the weekend long event. Food, drink and parking were provided by the MV Firebirds host club. Highland Jets 2014 was deemed a sucess and plans are underway for future editions.
Submitted by,
Art ARRO, CD/AMA Leader Member
Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
f106jax

Many thanks to Art and the Mohawk Valley Firebirds for hosting Highland Jets! Great friends, great flying, and a great venue.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Jetkopter

Mike did you see that the F-4 was the most popular scale model? How did that tutor beat us? W--- T-- F---

Last edited by Jetkopter; 07-24-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM
f106jax

Don,
Jeff's wine and cheese tent trumped our Phantoms.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Jeff Lynds

Art,
Thank you for hosting a great event and thanks to the host club MV firebirds, Great event, good to see everyone. We had a great time.
As far as the wine and cheese you have to talk to the Jet Pit Chicks.......
Hope to see the Phantoms in formation at NEJR.
See you all soon
Jeff
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 AM
General Jake

Art, thanks for thinking of me and sending the invitation, but I will be out of town during this event. Maybe next year? Safe flying Chris
Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Art ARRO

Chris,
Thanks for reviving this old thread on Highland Jets. The 2016 edition will be our 4th annual and we're looking for a great turnout. This will be an ALL FLYING event with no demos or interruptions, other than full scale movements. The proposed jet scale activity of previous years was voted down unanimously by the pilots- may it RIP. The MV Firebirds host club is eagerly looking forward to the coming event. Hope to see you next year. Take care.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Art.
What are the 2017 dates? I want to see if I can make it this year. I hope I dont have any conflicts with other events.
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM
Art ARRO

Hi Dom,
The proposed dates of the 5th Annual Highland Jets are July 14th, 15th and 16th, 2017. These dates shift back to the traditional mid-July dates held by Capitol Jets for 9 consecutive years and Highland Jets for 3 additional years. The dates also avoid conflict with ongoing local events in Central NY such as the Boilermaker marathon and induction ceremony of the Baseball Hall of Fame. These events consumed most of the local lodging and detracted from our rally in 2016. The dates are proposed since I still need to get the host club approval and submit the AMA sanction for Highland Jets. We look forward to your attendance at this CNY jet event.
Rgds,
Art ARRO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.