Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RX series turbines from Jetcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RX series turbines from Jetcat

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:40 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RX series turbines from Jetcat

This thread is not meant to bash jetcat, but simply to make a determiniation. Please no bashing.

I am having serious issues with a P180RX after it was recalled and updated by jetcat. I am not the only one.
I am wondering if the other RX series suffer the same issue with heat and humidity or it if is more specific to this turbine. The issues are allegedly high heat and humid but is only 71 degrees out with 65% humidity when I tried it.

I guess I am trying to determine if buying another smaller RX turbine would even solve my issues.

Thanks!

Last edited by essyou35; 07-11-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What issues are you having?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
essyou35

Please see my thread if you can help. Iam more curious in this thread if all the rx series are having issues.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jetc...e-thrower.html
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Houston area and i have a friend that has 2 RX180's and neither one of his brand new turbines will run. They sputter and shut down before he can even take off fortunatly. Jet cat says it's the humidity and heat here in the south and that they really dont know how to correct the problem yet. If i had 2 turbines that were brand new and wouldn't run and the company says they don't have a fix i would demand my money back and return the turbines back to them.We had a jet meet a couple months back and their was a couple of smaller RX turbines that were brand new on some visitors jets and they wouldn't run either. They definitely have a problem with this latest generation of turbines
Mel
Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM
essyou35

I'm sure jetcat has already considered this, but I am curious what fuel they were using. I used dyed kerosene.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:11 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a buddy that had 3 accidents with P140rx flameouts, but my P-100rx ran perfect until the day I sold it.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Cratus
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by essyou35
This thread is not meant to bash jetcat, but simply to make a determiniation. Please no bashing.

I am having serious issues with a P180RX after it was recalled and updated by jetcat. I am not the only one.
I am wondering if the other RX series suffer the same issue with heat and humidity or it if is more specific to this turbine. The issues are allegedly high heat and humid but is only 71 degrees out with 65% humidity when I tried it.

I guess I am trying to determine if buying another smaller RX turbine would even solve my issues.

Thanks!

I've had a P140 RX for over a year and a half now with absolutely no issue. It runs great. I live in FL, so heat and humidity are par for the course! The 180 RX, however, seems to be the most problematic turbine from JC. I'd keep calling John to see if they can help you solve the problem. Good luck
Old 07-13-2014, 02:24 AM
lxfly

I'm sure jetcat has already considered this, but I am curious what fuel they were using. I used dyed kerosene.
Hi,
Just got this from http://www.kerosenestoves.net/:
People claim that the red dye makes the kerosene not burn as well and creates more odors. That is why it is best to find the K-1 clear. It is more pure and works better. In most areas, you can purchase the red dyed or the clear. You should steer clear of the red dye and go for the clear K-1.

i'm running some JC turbines and used always clear kerosene : 100RX (27 hours) 90rxi and 140RX(1hour) without problems.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

I have a NIB to maiden my F4 and read that newer ones had some issues with flames. Has your P180RX been recalled? I would call JC and give them the SN, to see how to proceed.

I HATE THE MPX CHEAP YELLOW PLUG. Just don't understand how can they put the cheapest MPX plug in a high end dollar turbine

Regards

Nuno
Old 07-13-2014, 04:31 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the turbines I have bought have been Jetcat of various types, including the 100RX,140RX and the 90 RXI. Apart from a few issues with a 70 all have been superb engines! that is until I started using the 180RX which is fitted to a model that I am flying for a friend. It was a flame thrower from the start and has been back to Jetcat once already and is about to go back again. When it was returned the first time it was not any different than before it went away. Once it was up and running it was absolutely fine, the issue is with the start as it was flaming a lot, over temping then shutting down or It would spit flame and them time out on start.

We reduced the pump voltage but this has had little effect. We again contacted Jetcat with the problem and they responded by saying that they have recently discovered that the 180 is more sensitive to the positioning of the temp sensor. This seemed unusual as this has not been an issue before with other turbines. They said that this could be solved by a software update, so we were sent a new ecu and pump. I fitted the pump and ecu on Friday and used the GSU test function menu to prime the lines, test valves, burner etc and all was well. I later took the model outside for a start, I heard the valve open and the pump start but the starter motor was dormant, I stopped the sequence and tested the motor with the gsu, nothing again, cycled the power and still nothing. I looked to see of the motor was stuck on the starter bullet but the compressor was spinning freely, it was then I noticed that it was not showing rpm on the gsu where it had done before when I had tested it in the workshop, the temperature was also flickering to zero.

I swapped the bus lead but it still gave the same indications, I then swapped back to the original ecu but it still gave the same indications and the starter motor was still inoperative. It will be on its way to Jetcat next week, disappointing that yet more flying time with this model will be wasted. I am not the only one with this problem, a friend also received a pump and ecu to use but I do not think he has fitted it yet. The 180 does seem to be Jetctat's 'Achilles heel' and from reading this thread and others it looks as though they still have a way to go, will be interesting to see how the RXI performs.

Last edited by Jamie C; 07-13-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 AM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

I statrted my new in the box 180 yestersday....no issues at all. I ran it for about 1.3 hours on the bench. 25 perfect starts.
It does have the Upgrade.

It starts with ZERO Flames. Acceleration is Perfect. The starts are better than my P160sx.

I live in Lafayette Louisiana...
Outside temp 91F
Humidity 71%

I have videos. I will get them uploaded today.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is exactly what I am hoping to see after it has been back to Jetcat.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM
essyou35

When did you buy it? Mine also ran fine until it was recalled and "upgraded". I wonder if yours has been upgraded yet.

Originally Posted by derrickxp8103
I statrted my new in the box 180 yestersday....no issues at all. I ran it for about 1.3 hours on the bench. 25 perfect starts.

It starts with ZERO Flames. Acceleration is Perfect. The starts are better than my P160sx.

Outside temp 91F
Humidity 71%

Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM
essyou35

Jamie mine starts up really well and sound great. Its when I apply any throttle,even a tiny bit, it starts sputtering and just starts flaming. Doesnt shut down or anything, just cant get past 50K rpm. It goes back to idle fine.

I hate it when this happens, some people have one that works and many others dont. Doesnt make any sense.

LXFLY: Thanks for the information. I've run red dyed in 4 turbines many flights (all kerostart), not a single issue. I can try clear kerosene but my issues are exactly the same a couple other people's issues so I wont get my hopes up.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 AM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I only have Jet cat turbines. Never had an issue until the 180 RX. Mine was one of the first ones and it would start hard and would sputter a little then clear up. until it flamed out in one flight. Overall, went to Bob ( this is before John purchased JC) 4 times+ ECU and the pump two times. Then, when John started the recall. my turbine was there so it was the first or second one that they fixed. Since, it has had five flights and has been running good. I hope it continues. Since, I have purchased a new one from the new serial numbers (after the recall numbers) but it is still in the box. We are in north west so it normally is below 80's and 30-35% humidity. The other ones that I have seen have ran good so it would be good if people posting let everyone know if they have turbines from serial numbers within recalled numbers or after.

Behzad
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Jamie mine starts up really well and sound great. Its when I apply any throttle,even a tiny bit, it starts sputtering and just starts flaming. Doesnt shut down or anything, just cant get past 50K rpm. It goes back to idle fine.

I hate it when this happens, some people have one that works and many others dont. Doesnt make any sense.

LXFLY: Thanks for the information. I've run red dyed in 4 turbines many flights (all kerostart), not a single issue. I can try clear kerosene but my issues are exactly the same a couple other people's issues so I wont get my hopes up.
Theres deffinitely something goofy up with these things. Originally sent Rich's back to jetcat before ever even running it the first time and got the upgrade. Came back and we tossed it in the F-18 and it ran and flew great here in Florida. And just this weekend we took it out to fly in Nebraska and it was doing the same exact thing as yours although if I babied the throttle up crazy slow I could get it to spool up. But most of the time it would just sputter and make popping noises. If I babied it up there was no problem moving the throttle between 1/2 and full but obviously theres a real issue there if you can throttle up on demand from idle. Kinda sucks considering the engine has been ran maybe 8x now. Only thing I know has change is the altitude but thats minor. Hopefully you guys are able to get a simple solution from jetcat. It's a sweet looking engine and really pushes well. Oh and we were running fresh JetA with bp2380 in it with a full bypass system. I just dont know what else could have changed between Florida and NE besides a small altitude change. It wasn't very humid out Friday either.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

I just got back from Kentucky where it was Hot and Humid and My P180 Rx ran like a clock! John Redman was flying a King Cat with a P180 Rx too and it was running great . Jet Cat knows that some but not all of the 180 have been trouble some to say the least! Johns been working day and night to find out why some of you are having problems and I think he finally has the answer. The P180 is like a Ferrari and the 140 is like a chevy. The 140 is basically the 160 derated that's one of the reasons it runs so well. The 180 is a different animal all together. Just because two 180s look the same they don't run the same and John has found some small but critical adjustments that need to be made to fuel delivery system of the 180. John has several more motors going out to customers this week who are in the hot and humid areas for some more testing to prove that the new modifications work for all the motors. If any of you are having problems give Jet Cat a few days to back up to speed after Kentucky. I complained to John that its hard to get him on the phone and he is aware of it , just leave a message and he will call you back. The day to day repairs and the 180 fix are keeping this guy busy! Im not going to put up the details of the mods, John can give you the details if you need them. One thing that I have been doing for the last year with my 180 is using the auto tune feature of the ECU to auto adjust my ramping and it works really well on the hot and humid days. If you go out on a hot day and have the motor set for the fastest ramping your going to have some motors that wont be happy. Spend a few minutes with your GSU and check your settings and see if you need to back them off on the hot days if you prefer to manually adjust your ramping.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:01 AM
essyou35

Be careful doing this, on mine it is spitting a flame and burning up the pipe. You might not be able to see it with a bypass. Its like instead of gaining RPM it just turns into a flame thrower. It turned my pipe red hot at the Y very quickly.

Originally Posted by Gixxy
Theres deffinitely something goofy up with these things. Originally sent Rich's back to jetcat before ever even running it the first time and got the upgrade. Came back and we tossed it in the F-18 and it ran and flew great here in Florida. And just this weekend we took it out to fly in Nebraska and it was doing the same exact thing as yours although if I babied the throttle up crazy slow I could get it to spool up. But most of the time it would just sputter and make popping noises. If I babied it up there was no problem moving the throttle between 1/2 and full but obviously theres a real issue there if you can throttle up on demand from idle. Kinda sucks considering the engine has been ran maybe 8x now. Only thing I know has change is the altitude but thats minor. Hopefully you guys are able to get a simple solution from jetcat. It's a sweet looking engine and really pushes well. Oh and we were running fresh JetA with bp2380 in it with a full bypass system. I just dont know what else could have changed between Florida and NE besides a small altitude change. It wasn't very humid out Friday either.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM
essyou35

Do you know if the mods are ECU settings or are they engine modifications?

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
I just got back from Kentucky where it was Hot and Humid and My P180 Rx ran like a clock! John Redman was flying a King Cat with a P180 Rx too and it was running great . Jet Cat knows that some but not all of the 180 have been trouble some to say the least! Johns been working day and night to find out why some of you are having problems and I think he finally has the answer. The P180 is like a Ferrari and the 140 is like a chevy. The 140 is basically the 160 derated that's one of the reasons it runs so well. The 180 is a different animal all together. Just because two 180s look the same they don't run the same and John has found some small but critical adjustments that need to be made to fuel delivery system of the 180. John has several more motors going out to customers this week who are in the hot and humid areas for some more testing to prove that the new modifications work for all the motors. If any of you are having problems give Jet Cat a few days to back up to speed after Kentucky. I complained to John that its hard to get him on the phone and he is aware of it , just leave a message and he will call you back. The day to day repairs and the 180 fix are keeping this guy busy! Im not going to put up the details of the mods, John can give you the details if you need them. One thing that I have been doing for the last year with my 180 is using the auto tune feature of the ECU to auto adjust my ramping and it works really well on the hot and humid days. If you go out on a hot day and have the motor set for the fastest ramping your going to have some motors that wont be happy. Spend a few minutes with your GSU and check your settings and see if you need to back them off on the hot days if you prefer to manually adjust your ramping.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by derrickxp8103

Outside temp 91F
Humidity 71%

Derick can you post your ecu settings? A freind of mine is flying in Edgard, LA similiar climate and his engine is giving him lots of problems, zombie starts, sputtering and poor acceleration. It seems to be OK in the air though. p-180rx
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM
essyou35

I dont know about you guys but I have very limited settings I can change on my ECU. Basically max RPM, low volt warnings, acelleration speed and autotune. Not much else. Cant change an pump PW settings, ramp settings etc. Is there a code like jet central to unlock the interface?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Jetkopter

I am running a stock motor without upgrades or mods. My point was that a lot of guys don't adjust the ramping on the hot and humid days and its a must for this motor. The Autotune is working well and if you spend a few minutes scrolling through the gsu after autotune is enabled you can actually see the calculated performance factor based on the density altitude As for the mods they are not software they are hard parts.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
essyou35

That may be why your motor is fine, it seems the upgraded ones are having issues now. Mine ran fine before the upgrade and the previous owner put 17 hours on it down in florida.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Jetkopter

I would have to agree with you, the upgrade was a band-aid. JetCat was trying to fix an intermittent problem. That is one of the hardest things to do. If its broke then its easy to fix, but if it only does it sometimes and not everyone has the same problem, you have to take a step back and look at what your missing. The 180 puts out a tremendous amount of power in a relatively small package, too make that power all the time ,every time the motor has to be in perfect tune. As I said earlier I am confident that John has a handle on it now and further testing of more 180s like the one john was flying at Kentucky will prove it . No one wants this problem to be put to rest once and for all more than John, that I can tell you.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
derrickxp8103
My Feedback: (80)

I ran my 180 again today..no issues again.
I disabled the auto tune and it didnt really seem to change anything.

Outside temp 91
Humidity. 78%
Elevaltion. @ 48ft above sea level
Jet cat turbine oil
Jet A

As for posting my ECU settings....there are quite a few of them. More so it seems the the previous non RX engines.

I didnt change any settings. Started and ran right out of the box....after the upgrade.
I never ran the engine before the upgrade.

If you were to change any of the ecu settings i would definitely write the stock ones down before changing them.

Most of the ECU settings are abbreviated in such a way that it is difficult to understand what that actual setting is for.
There must be a code book that explains in detail what each setting is for.

Derrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.