Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My SM F-14 Tomcat

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My SM F-14 Tomcat

Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 AM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question to the guys flying or building the tomcat with the full function wing: do/will you put flaps and slats on one channel?
what I would like to know, do both travel 'linear' to eachother? (eg, 50% on flaps is also 50% on slats...)

Wim
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

im going to put both slat/flaps on the same switch but each servo will have its own channel so I can adjust end points and travel to make sure of no binding.
I will more than likely do flaps first then once I get the maiden done add in the slats. Then once its all setup add them both to one switch.

Last edited by FenderBean; 08-27-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:45 AM
muzzgail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Wim,

I am also using the flap switch to operate all at once. I will be using XBus, so this allows me to adjust the slat end points of each servo seperately.

The book states:

Slats: 10mm take off and 20mm landing Take note of picture 23 & 24 which shows 20mm on the outer slat edge and 25mm travel on the inner slat edge. So using this as a guide I have decided to make my slat servos with different end points, so at full landing slat I have 20mm slat at the wing tip and 25mm slat at the wing root. Take off flaps I would hope would be about half of that, say 10mm slat at the wing tip and 12.5mm at the wing root.

Flaps: 20 degrees take off and 45 degrees landing

Obviously it will be a balancing act to get close with using only 1 channel (flap) for the whole lot, but with xbus it is probably achieveable for me, as each servo can be independently set up on the one channel.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM
muzzgail

Nice video by the way. Looking forward to the photos of the install of the hook
Old 08-27-2014, 11:41 AM
WimB

hey guys, thx for the feedback.

I got my slats set up mechanicly, pretty close to the instructions, finetuning will be done with the powerbox, as will the flap servo's. I was just hoping to be able to avoid having to use two channels from the transmitter with a curve mix for slat & flap. end points, throw and center can be setup for each individual servo with the powerbox. I just hope I can tie 6 servo's to one input channel. If not, I'll have to look into the possibilities to set up the servo's individually....

On the point of using flaps without the slats: don't know if this is a good idea here... with the full span flaps, wouldn't you be prone to induce a tip stall?? (remember the landing on the maiden of Wendell's FEJ F-14?) Using full span flaps, you effectively increase the AOA on the whole wing....

Wim
Old 08-27-2014, 12:56 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Wim,
if the slats are there i would try and mimic the full scale use of the slats as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2026471  
Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
WimB

Thomas,

that is what I was wondering about, the relationshi^p between the extension of flaps and slats.... I think I remember something like the spoilers were 'relaxed' with maneuvering flaps as well, ie. not totally retracted... would make sense, as the upper face of the wing is made 'bigger'............
Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by WimB
Thomas,

that is what I was wondering about, the relationshi^p between the extension of flaps and slats.... I think I remember something like the spoilers were 'relaxed' with maneuvering flaps as well, ie. not totally retracted... would make sense, as the upper face of the wing is made 'bigger'............
Something like that.. I believe when the plane is dead (no hydraulic power) the spoilers actually fall into the wing / flap cavity a bit giving a less than desireable upper surface camber. This is due to the airplane not having any hydraulic accumulator so once the engine driven hyd. Pumps stop turning, pressure bleeds off and they sag. Once pressure is restored, they pop up a bit to align with the eyebrow doors on the flaps and restore the smooth surface.

As far as takeoff, as best i can determine from the natops manual, for field takeoffs, no flaps or a setting similar to the manuever flap position were used. I believe most used manuever flap one as it prevented any uncommanded wing sweep due. On the boat i believe they used full flaps. Im not 100% sure on this, but it seems reasonable. Maybe one of the guys who actually flew the thing will chime in.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM
oliveDrab

Your F-104 is awesome. It's a guided missile with a couple of stubby wings. Is it difficult to fly? Does it stall easily if it gets too slow?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM
WimB

airbrake operational............

http://youtu.be/w01jrFK_Pnk
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wim, thanks so much for posting the great pics and videos. Its gonna help a lot of us out and much more fun to see than FEJ bashing…. ;-)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM
WimB

here are some pics on the tailhook install.... self explanatory I think..........

bolts are tapped into the central wood stringer, plenty strong....
Wim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0115 (Large).JPG
Views:	506
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2026703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116 (Large).JPG
Views:	504
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2026704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117 (Large).JPG
Views:	514
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	2026705   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0118 (Large).JPG
Views:	516
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2026706   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0119 (Large).JPG
Views:	497
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	2026707  
Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 AM
WimB

DrScoles, I agree.......... done with the bashing as well.... got better things to do... I think everyone who is still willing to put his money into a FEJ jet, is out on his own, and shouldn't come whining afterwards.........,now, if everyone would just be willing to get back to the order of the day, and that is having fun building and flying!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wim
Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
mick15

Airframe and install inspection completed, paper work sent to the CAA. Next step waiting for certificate to test fly.

m
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
WimB

keep us posted!!!!

Wim
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope it goes well Mick, Good luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM
mick15

Thanks guys, my plan is to fly it at the September Classic jets meet at Abingdon on the 26th.

m
Old 08-28-2014, 01:46 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by invertmast
Something like that.. I believe when the plane is dead (no hydraulic power) the spoilers actually fall into the wing / flap cavity a bit giving a less than desireable upper surface camber. This is due to the airplane not having any hydraulic accumulator so once the engine driven hyd. Pumps stop turning, pressure bleeds off and they sag. Once pressure is restored, they pop up a bit to align with the eyebrow doors on the flaps and restore the smooth surface.

As far as takeoff, as best i can determine from the natops manual, for field takeoffs, no flaps or a setting similar to the manuever flap position were used. I believe most used manuever flap one as it prevented any uncommanded wing sweep due. On the boat i believe they used full flaps. Im not 100% sure on this, but it seems reasonable. Maybe one of the guys who actually flew the thing will chime in.
Thomas, you're pretty much spot-on here.

The flaps and slats always worked together, just as you've described, and as shown in the NATOPS pic you attached in post #131. And yes, with the flap handle control, flaps were selected either up or down, and the slats moved up or full extend in conjunction with the flap handle. Field takeoffs could be done either in MIL power or A/B. If MIL was used, then flaps down was selected (and with them full slat extension). For a 'burner' takeoff, typically flaps/slats up was the norm.

Maneuver flaps/slats would extend automatically (except in old Block 65 jets, the one's without an "Alpha" or Rosemont probe on the nose) above a certain AOA, if wingsweep in the 20 deg-55deg range. There was an arc on the flap gage that showed the 'maneuver' range of travel. The maneuvering devices could also be extended/retracted via the stick grip thumbwheel...the same thumbwheel used for DLC (Direct Lift Control) in the landing configuration/flaps down.

Yes, NATOPS says you could get uncommanded wing sweep in the flaps-up takeoff configuration, but I never saw it happen. I can't recall ever worrying about it, or briefing it as something to look out for. Sometimes "maneuver" flaps (and with it maneuver slats) were selected via the stick grip thumbwheel for takeoff, but this was more due to personal preference on the way the jet felt as it lifted off and accelerated, rather than a concern over uncommanded wing sweep.

Carrier launches were always done with flaps/slats down/extended, regardless of MIL or A/B selection.

Again, very impressive Tomcat systems knowledge!! You'd certainly pass the NATOPS hydraulics and flap/slat systems portion of the closed-book exam!

Sluggo

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 08-28-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:26 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Thomas, you're pretty much spot-on here.

The flaps and slats always worked together, just as you've described, and as shown in the NATOPS pic you attached in post #131. And yes, with the flap handle control, flaps were selected either up or down, and the slats moved up or full extend in conjunction with the flap handle. Field takeoffs could be done either in MIL power or A/B. If MIL was used, then flaps down was selected (and with them full slat extension). For a 'burner' takeoff, typically flaps/slats up was the norm.

Maneuver flaps/slats would extend automatically (except in old Block 65 jets, the one's without an "Alpha" or Rosemont probe on the nose) above a certain AOA, if wingsweep in the 20 deg-55deg range. There was an arc on the flap gage that showed the 'maneuver' range of travel. The maneuvering devices could also be extended/retracted via the stick grip thumbwheel...the same thumbwheel used for DLC (Direct Lift Control) in the landing configuration/flaps down.

Yes, NATOPS says you could get uncommanded wing sweep in the flaps-up takeoff configuration, but I never saw it happen. I can't recall ever worrying about it, or briefing it as something to look out for. Sometimes "maneuver" flaps (and with it maneuver slats) were selected via the stick grip thumbwheel for takeoff, but this was more due to personal preference on the way the jet felt as it lifted off and accelerated, rather than a concern over uncommanded wing sweep.

Carrier launches were always done with flaps/slats down/extended, regardless of MIL or A/B selection.

Again, very impressive Tomcat systems knowledge!! You'd certainly pass the NATOPS hydraulics and flap/slat systems portion of the closed-book exam!

Sluggo
thanks Sluggo, its amazing the things you learn when trying to do a really nice model. Lol
Old 08-28-2014, 11:41 PM
WimB

Thomas and Sluggo, thx for your insights on this.... super to get this kinds of feedback.... and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those Natops manuals as well, must be a fascinating read!!!

Wim
Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 AM
FenderBean

Mick, are you still planning to show your hydraulic setup? Good luck

Wim, what is the actual hook part made of? My other f-14 was had a heavy hook so I made a new one out of a carbon tailboom which saves weight. Looking good
Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 AM
WimB

Fender,

It's a fibreglass molded part, and indeed a tad on the heavy side.... I've been playing with the carbon rod idea as well... plus, it's ever so slightly too long, it portrudes a bit behind the boat tail......If needed to get the CG right, i'll modify it...........
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM
FenderBean

Cool thanks for the info, Trex 450 carbon tailboom is spot on for a replacement. Plus its very light and then a small metal gear servo is used for movement. Weight is less than the cylinder, airlines, and two-way valve, but thats just me I make everything as light as possible.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My F-14 arrives tomorrow! Wim, or anyone who already has one. Could you measure the distance between the main gear for me? I want to make a board to support the mains so I can put it on one of those plastic folding tables.

Thanks, Mike
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM
WimB

Mike, super!!! don't forget to post pics!!!

Main gear stance is 70cm (or 27.5") measured at CL wheel.

Wim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.