Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best KingCat jetCat turbine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best KingCat jetCat turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
cyphur01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Zeeb.

Don't worry. This is my dad's kingcat thread and the 180rx that jetcat has been putting through the ringer is mine. My dad knows all about the 180rx. John Redman has been testing with it for a while now. I am pretty confident they have it all ironed out. My vote was for a p200 since he has one sitting around. I really enjoy my 200.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	2016329  

Last edited by cyphur01; 07-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yessiree, I do know a lot about the 180 problems and I also know that, if there's a way to fix it, John R will do it. I think he's real close to sending our first one back to us.

I think ideally, I'd like a 160SX but theres never one around for sale when you want one and the 180RX is the same size/weight so i'll just pull it back a little. Yes, I have a P200 sitting around fresh from the shop ready to go, but with comments like high residual thrust, high fuel burn, higher weight, etc, it has me a little worried. I am graduating up from a 140 powered Elan.

Last edited by patrnflyr; 07-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay that's good to hear. I know John has been busting his butt trying to get things going as I tried to buy a 180 from him about the first of the year, wound up going to a Behotec since there was no sign of when the JetCats would be available what with the backlog of "fixes" being done to the 180 by JetCat Germany.

I have talked with John a number of times, bought a few things from him and really hope he makes a go of this distributorship. He's been an asset to the modeling community for quite some time, I just think he got into a bunch of alligators when he went in to drain the swamp.....
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Yessiree, I do know a lot about the 180 problems and I also know that, if there's a way to fix it, John R will do it. I think he's real close to sending our first one back to us.

I think ideally, I'd like a 160SX but theres never one around for sale when you want one and the 180RX is the same size/weight so i'll just pull it back a little. Yes, I have a P200 sitting around fresh from the shop ready to go, but with comments like high residual thrust, high fuel burn, higher weight, etc, it has me a little worried. I am graduating up from a 140 powered Elan.
Well look at what we have here; a 160SX which the guy says is NIB. Now it's in Dubai but he says he'll ship it anywhere.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=990960

The other issue is that he's got zero feedback.....
Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM
patrnflyr

Bought a 180RX from someone here on RCU. I'm hoping it'll do the job.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

A 180 is going to be great.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things I learned about this jet over the last few yrs..

go thru the plane and make sure all the servo mounts, linkages, and arms are solid.. that aircraft will do 200 on 25lb of thrust.. and go uphill like crazy with a 160/180.. As it gets faster, and faster, it has a tendency to climb with a big power output during high speed, but during lower speeds, will pitch ever slightly down with big power, so be judicious until you get used to it..

Also with a 160/180, it will want to leave the ground butt first.., so set your nose gear steering small throw so you won't wheelbarrow.. I use a gyro on the boom/rudders.. not much gain, but it stops the waggle..

I went from an élan to this jet too.. the difference is this aircraft won't glide like the élan.. once those barn door flaps are down, you will have to carry power.. The jet will fly extremely slow though.. I think stall is around 22mph.. so it will want to keep flying in ground effect.. If it hits nose first for any reason, go around and avoid the kangaroo hop.. it will hop and buck like a bronco.. If you bounce it, just stabilize it and set it down mains first, avoid the tendency to yank the nose up.. I use 1/2 inch crow.. some guys use more.. definitely needs crow to drop the tail..

As far as CG, I fly mine 1/4 to 1/2 inch behind the hole in the booms.. If needed you can add tail weight in the horizontal or booms.. The hole is too far forward imo..

Some guys change out the nose wheel for a smaller wheel, and that helps it set down and stick a little better, but I didn't use that.. Its my favorite aircraft. enjoy..

John taught me most of what I know about the king cat, so he is a great resource..

Last edited by gooseF22; 08-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
patrnflyr

Thanks a bunch for all that info. I wish there was one thread that was the "go to" thread for advice on this jet. I may have missed it. Really appreciate it and will review it again as we get closer to flying it. John

Last edited by patrnflyr; 08-01-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

180 is awesome as many have stated previously, but I think best all around performance is with the P140.........of course I only put the 140-180 performance slightly better than my trusty iron lungs from AMT!!!!! ;-)

As a longtime admirer of dinosaurs.... I couldn't resist.

Hell a P120 gives stellar performance and I only mention the 140 because it gives better acceleration from a dirty flyby than a P120.

Have fun fun with her and don't be afraid to move CG back.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi patrnflyr, here is the video of the KingCat /P180RX testing conducted in Houston a few weeks ago. As I pointed out in the thread, the flight also demonstrates the flight envelope of the KingCat. You will see John was commanding some aggressive power changes and air speeds throughout the flight. Not knowing what type of flying you like to do but you will probably get a good idea if this engine / air frame combo is what you are looking for.

http://youtu.be/BL-piBEvUr0

Last edited by SkyKnight; 08-10-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Woops!! spell cecking
Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 AM
patrnflyr

Originally Posted by SkyKnight
Hi patrnflyr, here is the video of the KingCat /P180RX testing conducted in Houston a few weeks ago. As I pointed out in the thread, the flight also demonstrates the flight envelope of the KingCat. You will see John was commanding some aggressive power changes and air speeds throughout the flight. Not knowing what type of flying you like to do but you will probably get a good idea if this engine / air frame combo is what you are looking for.

http://youtu.be/BL-piBEvUr0
That was my son's P180. Should be receiving it along with mine in about a week. KC is being painted as we speak. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:29 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a JB220 that I'm going to use on my KC & maybe share with my SM Large Hawk, has anyone tried this combo? Also, anyone have problems with the BVM supplied fuel fittings & lines using the bigger turbines?
i will turn my JB220 down to 36lbs.
any info greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Jay