Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC. Turbine Water Crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RC. Turbine Water Crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RC. Turbine Water Crash

So guys long story short. I could not get my Carf Rookie 2 out of a flat spin and it landed inverted in the lake

So im going to let things dry and blow them off with air.

Any suggestionson what to do with the motor?

Last edited by mikes68charger; 07-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe some WD40 on electronics? But even that light oil could saturate your wood formers, so be careful and what you're doing sounds as reasonable as I can think of.

I remember the thread you asked about doing 3D with your rookie:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...s-3d-jets.html

It looks like erbroens was right! Don't try it!

And in my Bandits, inverted flat spins, always recover. Bummer man.

A very proficient flyer once noted that in his hotspot, he could not recover from a flat spin and saw that the airplane was going down, he shut off the turbine and THEN noted that he was able to recover, but too late.

Just a tidbit to think about next time you want to try some flat spins. I'm not sure I could try some flat spins EVER again if I crashed because of it.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Crumpet46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you need suggestions to dry it or suggestions for why it wouldn't come out of the flat spin.

Not had a rookie but rear COG? not landed in a lake but cold air (compressor) and not hairdrier/heat gun.

Good luck with both problems
Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Put the esc and all electronic to bag with rice this will eliminate the water. And don't dry the jet to fast best is to do in small room with dehumidifier the wood will stay straight.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Don't blow the water deeper into the electronics. Dry the turbine Id flush it with jet fuel dry it out and run it to temp to dry it than re lube it. But that just me.Rice works better. Vacuum things first.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:23 PM
mikes68charger

Im not upset with the plane as I already had 25 to 30 flights.

Each one with a little 3d at the end

This time I pulled to hard. Did 6 back flips and it went in a inverted flat spin

I normally just push the nose down but for some reason it started to fly inverted and then flipped in a perfect nose up hover. But at that point I was loseing altitude as the 26pounds thrust was not enough to pull vertical

I shut it down and it went in the water. The park ranger brought it to me with the reciver still on.

I think the jetcat ecu is done because the 3s life pack for the turbine is swollen

I was thinking of running a little power thro the pump for to bearing

One guy told me to take it out and poor alcohol in it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Don't use alcohol, It has an affinity for water. which leads to rust. Id use jet fuel. try to keep the board dry. run as soon as you can.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ops, sorry to read about this ... crashing sucks, but suppossing you got into the spin all the way down to the ground (water?) most things should be repairable, including the airframe.

Don´t try to turn anything on, until all is dry.. IMO better way to dry circuits is leaving everything dissasembled, without their plastic covers for a day or two under the sun in a suitable window at your place. (and this include servos, ECU, receivers, switches,etc..) then one by one test the components, to see if they survived the adventure.. Mechanical components like the retracts can be oiled to repel oxidation from water.. pretty same with the turbine itself.. be careful to not have the engine soaked with oil or fuel residue the next time you fire it.. this may cause a hotstart. Also don´t try to run the engine again if it doesn´t spin freely or if it rubs, or the bearings make a different noise,

Ravill, one of the good things of the Bandit is that it is very predictable at the extremes of the flight envelope.. Delta wing things like the rookie can do unusual stuff that take some flight hours to interpretate and make the correct action.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger

This time I pulled to hard. Did 6 back flips and it went in a inverted flat spin

I normally just push the nose down but for some reason it started to fly inverted and then flipped in a perfect nose up hover. But at that point I was loseing altitude as the 26pounds thrust was not enough to pull vertical

I shut it down and it went in the water. The park ranger brought it to me with the reciver still on.

I think the jetcat ecu is done because the 3s life pack for the turbine is swollen

I pushing some fuel through the fuel lines to relube the bearings and forcing any water out of the fuel manifols would be a better option i think. Then drain the fuel from the case. So this a few times and then allow to dry thoroughly. Then i would run it at idle power for a few minutes to eliminate any water that may be stuck in some crevises then slowly and gradually advance the power from idle to full so as to allow the metals to get reacclimates in case there was any thermal shock from it hitting the water.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I had an A-10 that "landed" in the water.

The best thing you can do ? Send all your electronics back for service so that the manufacturers make sure they are OK for use. I've seen cases in the past of people that didn't do it and ended up loosing a whole new plane because of that.

In the case of the turbines, they went back to the factory were they checked them and all electronics had to be replaced. Now they are running flawlessly in my other A-10.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

I think the turbine itself will be OK as inconel is pretty resistant to rush e.t.c. the only things to worry about will be electronics board if it was fresh water then you might even be ok as its not as conductive as salt water.

But Overall I think you would be ok motor wise, its really the other electronics you have to worry about... ecu, servos, rx...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM
mikes68charger

I think the ecu is fried. It has that smell. Pluse the 3s life pack that swelled up was at 2.70v per cell

So can I replace my version 6 ecu with any other v6 or can it be newer?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

I wonder if having a 600 degree celsius turbine come in contact with cold lake water might have caused shock to some of bearings, NGV, compressor blades, etc? Not just the sudden extreme temperature change but the 120,0000 RPM to zero RPM when fan blades hit water...?

Might be a good idea to send everything in with the ECU ...

Shaz
Old 07-18-2014, 05:54 PM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

One suggestion for the electronics to dry is to put it inside a container with rice (dry not cooked). The rice will absorb the moisture inside the ESC It worked on a cell phone that was dropped in my pool. It have to stay inside the container for at least 3-5 days.

Good luck
J
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM
mikes68charger

Well guys I got to put it on a test stand far far away. But I did shut the motor down before loseing site of it

Well I figured the worst but it seems like everything may be ok

The esc after blowing it dry, then rice for a few hours and more air, I connect it up and it all seems to be working, I tested to fuel pump, starter, and the hand held is showing temp..

It spins nice and looks great.

I figured if it lets go I was thinking of sending it in for the upgrade.

Thanks guys
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

as crazy as this sounds 85% of all your electronicts are reusable as in my case
i had l 39 that submarined fully the only thing that did not work was batteries
i dryed everything with paper towel and sprayed all electronics with a product called
T9 water displacement spray. this is a miracle spray that all modelers should have in the toolbox
i saw a new 60 inch tv dunked fully submerged in this liquid and tv was plugged in and worked fine while in the liquid

1. all servos were dryed and opened all contact points of metal and circuit boads sprayed
all servos worked with no glitching
i did not recycle them into a jet but other projects without fail
2. futaba rx 6014 hs opened and sprayed down with t9 all channels worked fine without glitching
this i did indeed send back to futaba as it is important to get clean bill and after 1 week turn around it ran flawless
3. gear sequencer sprayed worked fine
4. jc rabbit soaked in jet a for 12 hours and all contact points sprayed including ecu and successfully run after
but this still was sent to jet central for clean bill
5 batteries i did not bother checking tossed those
6. airframe aaaaahhhhhhhh nope no spray for that one lol
not saying that this will work for you but if plane landed in non brackish or fresh water it should be ok
depending on if water has salt content all metalic might be compomised check all points

good luck
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Johnny Isaiah Woods
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Mike,
The Rookie is a dressed up Kangaroo from the old days, and we called the flips chicken flops,
which ends in an inverted flat spin. The recovery was simple, reduce power to idle and wait for the nose to drop,
then full power down to get flying speed and pull out. If you did not do this, you would flat spin to the ground,
or go into a secondary spin if you exited the recovery to fast that would really take you to the ground.
Do not stop doing 3D, always have an exit procedure.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Isaiah Woods; 07-18-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 AM
melnickj

Don't know about jet engines but whenever I've spilled on a computer I've rinsed the coffee or pop out with distilled water to remove all impuities then shaken the excess out then let it dry thoroughly - couple days if you can't put it out in the sun.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

erbroens,
Was in your city about three days ago, very nice. Wish I had more time there to find your field.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry to hear about the splash-down.

The advice on the rice is great for the electronics... but in the PWC world... when we sink an engine... it's important to get heat, and oil back into it, as soon as possible to purge out any water that could cause damage.

If that was my engine... I would pull the front cover, and push some fuel/oil down the bearing feed hose, and let it stand up on it's exhaust, to let it drip though. Then... Since your ECU may be bad... I would use a hair dryer, to spin and blow hot air though the engine. That will push out the rest of the water, and save the bearings and internals.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:38 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cessnaflyer54
erbroens,
Was in your city about three days ago, very nice. Wish I had more time there to find your field.
Thanks! and glad you enjoyed it. . The club directions are here,just in case.. send me a PM next time you come this place.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cu...7a83b0092bb747
Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
mikes68charger

Thanks guys for all the advice

Its seems like everything is going great. The recivers is fine, the JetCat ECU is great.

For the bearings I used a small plunger and put some of my kero oil directly into the fuel feed line. Then pushed it through with a little compressed air.

I put the whole motor in a small thick bag and rinsed it out with jet fuel.

It's crazy even the 2 6.6 life reciver packs are good. I still chunked them tho

Ever servo did have water so I took them apart

I had to use some airopoxy on one side of the motor mount. So tomorrow I will start it up

I wonder what glue Carf used to glued to glue in there fourmers as most of them separated from the glass. It looked flaky

I had to use almost a whole tube of airopoxy.

I ordered new rudders (mine are fixable but at 90 each not worth it) and new canopy frame/canopy
for $300. And $50 for new batteries. I have to say I couldn't imagine a jet crash from that height costing less

Lol
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Dude! You are on here with so many issues of flying jets! Maybe time to give them up?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Thanks guys for all the advice

Its seems like everything is going great. The recivers is fine, the JetCat ECU is great.

For the bearings I used a small plunger and put some of my kero oil directly into the fuel feed line. Then pushed it through with a little compressed air.

I put the whole motor in a small thick bag and rinsed it out with jet fuel.

It's crazy even the 2 6.6 life reciver packs are good. I still chunked them tho

Ever servo did have water so I took them apart

I had to use some airopoxy on one side of the motor mount. So tomorrow I will start it up

I wonder what glue Carf used to glued to glue in there fourmers as most of them separated from the glass. It looked flaky

I had to use almost a whole tube of airopoxy.

I ordered new rudders (mine are fixable but at 90 each not worth it) and new canopy frame/canopy
for $300. And $50 for new batteries. I have to say I couldn't imagine a jet crash from that height costing less

Lol
Bad Things tend to show up in electronic at a later in opportune time. Had a friend spill Smoke fluid on a receiver in his Jet. He wiped it all off. Seemed to work fine (For three flights) fourth the plane went NUTZ luckily it was still on the ground. Replaced the Receiver and all was well. His plane lived happily ever after so far. JMHO but Electronics and Liquid's don't mix well.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drdoom
Don't use alcohol, It has an affinity for water. which leads to rust. Id use jet fuel. try to keep the board dry. run as soon as you can.
No offence, but not true...as a union glazier we would routinely inundate the system with 98% medical grade isopropanol to drive out water from the system before sealing it. The isopropanol would drive out the water then evaporate leaving nothing but a dry system.

Not that I saying this maybe the best solution here, but the alcohol would drive out the water.

Its also commonly done to electronics to flush water from CPU boards as well.

Last edited by glazier808; 07-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.