Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A Build: AD Diamond

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A Build: AD Diamond

Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still like the jet. It reminds me of a spaceship. I would like to have one some day.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, let me say that the Diamond is a fantastic model! I love it! It flys amazing!! Eric did a fantastic job on this model!

The very first thing I encountered were the cheap plastic servo frames. One broke in my hand. Do not use these! place them in the appropriate land fill!
I made my own carbon servo frames before Oly came out with his, but I would have bought his if they were available.

8711 wont fit in them either. chunk them. Im sure Eric could provide them in the kit and raise kit price $210. Just pretend like he did, pay the extra money and get them from Oly.

FYI, the diamond will glide forever without flaps!! I had a flameout at takeoff and made it all the way back around and landed safely the opposing direction.
Scott
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got some more work done on my diamond past weekend. Just some final words on the plastic servo mounts: If you want to use them and plan to install servos like he JRDS8811 or Futaba 9156 / 9157 you have to work on the servos to make them fit. It is necessary to narrow the servos by cutting down the brackets. It does really hurt to do that to a new servo and i still believe that it is just wrong to supply such crap in a high quality kit. Doesn't change my attitude towards using them in the plane. May sound stubborn, i know.

Used BVM vpoxy to glue the control horns in place. They do fit really nice. The fuel tank plumbing is also done. I 3D printed a rack to support the futaba 6014 receiver with a cortex on top.

As you can see. Servo won't fit by design.

Installing the retracts is a joy. They fit very nice and everything left to do is the wiring.

This is how i am going to install receiver and power supply. Turbine equipment in front of the fuel tanks. The 3D printed rack will support the cortex gyro. Sometimes i switch receiver / gyro combos between planes and with the rack its real easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3523.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	2017931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	2017932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3534.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	2017933  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man, Tuggs!! You did that to brand new servos to fit a plastic servo frame
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Tuggs

Originally Posted by schroedm
oh man, Tuggs!! You did that to brand new servos to fit a plastic servo frame
I did break my heart, indeed.

Maybe I will regret it one day, but at least future diamond buyers are aware of these little problems. Don't get me wrong. I love the plane, but this is just one thing that doesn't feel right about it.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Bob Toilet

My Diamond will be shipped on Friday. Ordered the aluminum servo covers on Saturday and got message
today that they will be in the box :-) I really don't understand why you choose to use these plastic ones. I would
never feel good flying my Diamond with the plastic covers.
I think Aviation Design should do something about this!
From what I understand I will receive 8 aluminum covers but only need 7!? Because they are sold as pairs. I can only hope that they come as 4 left and 4 right.
Looking so forward to receive this amazing modell.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG! that's not a good idea!!

I also don't like your flap setup!! clevis on a bent all thread with a plastic servo arm? That's a huge flap that need tons of throw! lots of stress on that
Scott
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Tuggs

Originally Posted by jetpilot
OMG! that's not a good idea!!

I also don't like your flap setup!! clevis on a bent all thread with a plastic servo arm? That's a huge flap that need tons of throw! lots of stress on that
Scott
Scott,

Yeah, the servo arm won't stay like that... I didn't receive the aluminium arms I ordered in the right size yet. I wasn't really worried about the clevis and the threaded rod, but now that you mention it. The thing is I want the rod to be vertial to the arm in flaps up position to have zero slop in the flap. I only get enough throw on the flap like that without having to mill a slot in the wing for the pushrod - I hope its clear what I mean

/T
Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Scott on that linkage, threaded rod is so brittle too, one slight bend and its on its way.

Never seen the Diamond close enough to understand the servo issues but Oli is the master when it comes to linkage calculations and design, a shame the 'standard' hardware is not quite up with the rest of the kit which looks to be superb.

For those who have not come across these guys yet - some well designed and fantastic clevis/horn products for all rc planes, Y ended servo arms so the ball clevis is not subject to a twisting loading, they also do a matching horn range to match up (only issue is the site is in German only!)

http://www.gabriel-stahlformenbau.de...rvohebel-25-55

marcs
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Bob Toilet

Marc: Have you tried the Y- ended servo arms? They look solid.
From what I understand it is a mix of nylon and 43% carbon in them.
And they have them in 14mm length as the Diamond need. They also have suitable ball links for 3mm rod. The only thing missing is double control horns on the Diamond.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 AM
marc s

Christian they do a range of horns too in the double range with a ball link pre-fitted (you can change them over)......

http://www.gabriel-stahlformenbau.de...l?dataoffset=0

I have used them on my Orion, found them superb, easy to fit, strong and well designed. The process is as I understand a carbon reinforced plastic which is pressure and heat set to give a very strong product. The horns are easy to mount as they have pins so a hole is required which is easier to do than a neat slot IMO.

Here's my Orion......

Build thread link, see #34 for horn and linkage pics detail...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-thread-2.html

marcs

Name:	M1:L.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2018202  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 AM
Tuggs

Just a quick update. I wrote an email to Eric yesterday explaining the situation and my thought about the mounts again, now that I started building the Diamond. He agreed and will consider to ship the aluminium mounts in future diamond kits. I think its great when manufactuers listen and adapt to customer feedback. Thumbs up for Eric and Aviation Design.

Last edited by Tuggs; 07-29-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Bob Toilet

Marc: I think I will use these on the control horns
A 3mm threaded rod with a carbon tube outside.

Name:	l74412.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2018312  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 AM
marc s

They are quiet bulky and the clips are not handed so one ends up the other way round which can make removal a PITA - I know as have them on a 2.5M Extra....

marcs
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Bob Toilet

See what you mean, but if you insert clips from right side or left side it will change from up to down. I have used them before and liked them a lot.
nice and tight, no travel. I have had some similar with separate pin and E-clips.
Think I order all three kinds and see what I like best.
Thanks for input.

Last edited by Bob Toilet; 07-29-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:05 AM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Where do you get those clips? I have a 50% Pitts that uses those clips on the flying wires and i lost one of the clips and have been trying to find some replacement clips for a while now. Any info would be appreciated!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Bob Toilet

Hi
In Europe you can order from : www.lindinger.at
They have many of the similar type.

Last edited by Bob Toilet; 08-06-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the info on the clips but when i went to their website i couldn't find them anywhere!! You wouldn't happen to have a spare one of those you would like to sell by chance?
Thanks Mel
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Bob Toilet

Hi Mel
i only have the one for 3mm pushrod and 4mm pin. If you can use this
pm me your adress.
if not, here is where you find them
on the lindinger website:
Choose english.

Push: "Airplanes"
Then: "Accessories"