Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Just throwing this fact out there to put some perspective on Drone flying at any scale; in order to fly full scale UAV's you must have a Private Pilot License (not Sport Pilot) AND have a IFR rating.
Ive looked into this industry to be a pilot and this is what I found out.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Thats fine, in this hypothetical new class specification you would have a waiver or certification just like I did to fly turbines. Why should I have to get certified to fly a plane with just a different engine? To certify that I have a clue about operating it safely. Why the high power EDF guys flying the exact same airframe dont have to get some kind of certification is beyond me but thats a different topic.

However, the fact that the AMA requires this self policing certification for turbine pilots has produced very few incidents and a long track record of safety only proves and further supports the need for action regarding the Drone class.

Ive used the RTH feature just to see what it does and its pretty cool, like operating a CNC mill but without the big red panic button, LOL
I've not seen any EDF a/c fireball upon impact like the turbines do though.

Pretty impressive fireballs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTRSGZyjPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aajp-...D637E6D8323056

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOYWU...D637E6D8323056

Last edited by SushiHunter; 07-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

It is only a matter of time before a mutli-rotor aircraft collides with a full-size aircraft. Then let the FAA hurt begin....
Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Chris Nicastro

There are many other dangers related to high power EDF besides an impact and potential subsequent fire. To ignore, dismiss, or diminish the dangers is naive. Thats why at least a safety certification would be great even if its only for AC above 1KW.
EDF aside Ive seen LiPo fires as a result of an impact, in person, at my club including one in flight fire as well which I did not witness.
I worked in this field for several years so Im well versed on LiPos, applications and their dangers which why I mention it at all.

Back on topic...
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM
SushiHunter

There are many other dangers related to high power EDF besides an impact and potential subsequent fire. To ignore, dismiss, or diminish the dangers is naive. Thats why at least a safety certification would be great even if its only for AC above 1KW.
EDF aside Ive seen LiPo fires as a result of an impact, in person, at my club including one in flight fire as well which I did not witness.
I worked in this field for several years so Im well versed on LiPos, applications and their dangers which why I mention it at all.

Back on topic...
Absolutely not ignoring, dismissing, or diminishing the dangers, but I do believe that turbine power plants are of considerably greater capability compared to EDF. Can EDF even be close to the performance specifications as a turbine? Turbines obviously have vast thrust capability, this is apparent with the weight limits/guidelines put in place with the operation of turbine a/c. I'd say the main thing the two have in common would simply be the flight characteristics of a/c with EDF and with turbine power plants.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Chris Nicastro

Id be happy to entertain this debate in another thread SushiHunter but for now Ill disagree and keep this thread on topic.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
And your point is? Other than to try and throw in a snide little comment.

I think the lines are blurred or completely non existent regarding the definition of "Model Aviation" and "Drones" in the public eye based on media drama. When it comes to the hobbyist, FPV is a potential add-on that can help to maximize the enjoyment of Model Aviation and can be added to almost any aircraft.
My point is that this is different than adding another innocuous piece of equipment/technology to our R/C aircraft. Otherwise, we wouldn't even be having this debate.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 07-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just throwing this fact out there to put some perspective on Drone flying at any scale; in order to fly full scale UAV's you must have a Private Pilot License (not Sport Pilot) AND have a IFR rating.
Ive looked into this industry to be a pilot and this is what I found out.
Not 100% true. Some companies, like Northrup Grumman require IFR rating, but others like AAI do not.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by smaze17
It is only a matter of time before a mutli-rotor aircraft collides with a full-size aircraft. Then let the FAA hurt begin....
Yep. There were already reports of a firefighting effort that was impeded by a guy flying a Multi-rotor over a brushfire in CA. Apparently there were people flying multi-rotors at Oshkosh today too.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM
SushiHunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5H1Z5kDcfs
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

I don't totally agree with Bob. Look, it doesn't matter if do or do not UAV's, drones or FPV. They are the future, commercially or in the military application. Do not just put all individuals that use these in a bucket and label them bad. It does not matter what it is, you will always have individuals who will do things that are not smart or safe. Stop a minute and think of the positive uses they can and will have. So instead of thinking negative, be proactive in your thinking and present positive solutions to make their safe use possible. Imagine a child that needs a heart transplant and the have a donor that is 50 miles away. Instead of wasting time, gas and safety of a medical crew driving the donor heart; they could fly it there in less time with a drone. With that said, the bottom line is the FAA needs to get their SME lawyers (oh darn, most left. That's another story) and create policy/regulation (not guidelines), so individuals or corporations will know what and how they can operate these platforms; be it for a business or for pleasure. As for the AMA working with the FAA, beware of what you wish for.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Using your example, I somehow doubt the person receiving the heart will consider it a waste of time, gas, and safety of anyone.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 PM
108buzz
My Feedback: (14)

You totally missed the point.

Last edited by 108buzz; 07-29-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...-drone-anyway/
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM
kberk222

thankyou erik I was about ready to put this guy on blast
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
These morons are gonna ruin it for everyone…..
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Not 100% true. Some companies, like Northrup Grumman require IFR rating, but others like AAI do not.
Perhaps but besides the IFR rating the big point is the pilots license.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 AM
AllAfterburner

Isn't this more about what Jeff Bezos is up to rather than a small niche on a Sunday afternoon?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ivery/3799021/
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
mike1974

Eeeeeverybody must get droned. Think Bob Dylan. Ha ha! I crack myself up sometimes!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

There are valid points on both sides of this issue. There have been a few comparisons in this thread to firearm ownership and how we don't lose our right to bear arms because a mental case goes off his meds and shoots up a school when there are literally millions of legal, responsible firearm owners who know how to safely store and handle them. While that analogy is valid, it's not realistic for a few reasons. The first is obvious which I think Andy pointed out is firearm ownership is a right. The gun lobby is one of the most powerful lobbies in the country and they have a great defense to fall back on when a gun massacre occurs and politicians start looking at more restrictions. The constitution. So when an office or school is shot up with ten, twenty or thirty casualties it makes national news and politicians at the federal and local levels start trying to push through more restrictive legislation on legal gun owners. Much if not all of this legislation never makes it through because of the power of the gun lobby. Now picture some fool with zero common sense trying to get great video footage with his hexacoptor of a 757 taking off at JFK and the unthinkable happens. Does anyone with any sense of reality think the AMA or any other group or individuals will have a prayer of stopping the wrath of the feds that will come down? There would probably be an immediate ban on all RC aircraft activities for who knows how long and then broad sweeping legislation that would make us jump through so many hoops that most of us will look for a new hobby.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by afterburner
There are valid points on both sides of this issue. There have been a few comparisons in this thread to firearm ownership and how we don't lose our right to bear arms because a mental case goes off his meds and shoots up a school when there are literally millions of legal, responsible firearm owners who know how to safely store and handle them. While that analogy is valid, it's not realistic for a few reasons. The first is obvious which I think Andy pointed out is firearm ownership is a right. The gun lobby is one of the most powerful lobbies in the country and they have a great defense to fall back on when a gun massacre occurs and politicians start looking at more restrictions. The constitution. So when an office or school is shot up with ten, twenty or thirty casualties it makes national news and politicians at the federal and local levels start trying to push through more restrictive legislation on legal gun owners. Much if not all of this legislation never makes it through because of the power of the gun lobby. Now picture some fool with zero common sense trying to get great video footage with his hexacoptor of a 757 taking off at JFK and the unthinkable happens. Does anyone with any sense of reality think the AMA or any other group or individuals will have a prayer of stopping the wrath of the feds that will come down? There would probably be an immediate ban on all RC aircraft activities for who knows how long and then broad sweeping legislation that would make us jump through so many hoops that most of us will look for a new hobby.
While I agree with almost everything you wrote, you and Andy are missing the point that was trying to be made. Which is more restrictive laws, or all out ban will not keep guns out of criminals hands, just as strict regulations/laws or all out bans of BLOS FPV will not keep poeple from flying them in a unsafe way. The Constitution, lobbying and Government have nothing to do with this fact.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by mike1974
While I agree with almost everything you wrote, you and Andy are missing the point that was trying to be made. Which is more restrictive laws, or all out ban will not keep guns out of criminals hands, just as strict regulations/laws or all out bans of BLOS FPV will not keep poeple from flying them in a unsafe way. The Constitution, lobbying and Government have nothing to do with this fact.
I understand and agree with what you are saying. I didn't really make my point well probably because I started typing and was interrupted for a while What the government tries to do is divide and conquer. When they come after what they call "assault weapons"(every weapon is an assault weapon) the bolt action hunter or shotgun owner says "I don't own those so I'm not going to bother worrying about those who do". The powerful gun lobby will come in and fight for any type of gun owner with the same amount of zeal. I completely agree with this tactic but when it comes to RC, the AMA is minnow in shark infested waters when it comes to lobbying power. When a disaster happens where there are numerous souls lost because of a complete disregard for safety and common sense, the AMA and it's members can scream to their representatives in DC but our numbers will sound like a whisper to them. They will pass draconian legislation across a broad swath of RC aviation activities. IMO the AMA needs to distance themselves from BLOS FPV and make it abundantly clear to the FAA that it's not an activity they are associated with or condone. Since these aircraft have hit the mainstream market, the number of news reports on incidents has increased quite a bit. Probably more reports in the last two years compared to the last ten with fixed wing or helicopters simply because they are flying them over populated areas or landmarks and then posting videos.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Perhaps but besides the IFR rating the big point is the pilots license.
Actually I don't think AAI requires a PPL either.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Doug Cronkhite

IMO the AMA needs to distance themselves from BLOS FPV and make it abundantly clear to the FAA that it's not an activity they are associated with or condone. Since these aircraft have hit the mainstream market, the number of news reports on incidents has increased quite a bit. Probably more reports in the last two years compared to the last ten with fixed wing or helicopters simply because they are flying them over populated areas or landmarks and then posting videos.
This exactly. Unfortunately, the AMA is only seeing the $$$ associated with the BLOS FPV crowd, and not thinking about their actual effect upon the rest of the hobby.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO the AMA needs to distance themselves from BLOS FPV and make it abundantly clear to the FAA that it's not an activity they are associated with or condone. Since these aircraft have hit the mainstream market, the number of news reports on incidents has increased quite a bit. Probably more reports in the last two years compared to the last ten with fixed wing or helicopters simply because they are flying them over populated areas or landmarks and then posting videos.
We said Marty.

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
2:59 says it all:

"The laws and regulations have not kept up with the new technology".

This is the rapidly developing conclusion being reached by the media and by extension, this is the conclusion they will push onto the general public.

Until maybe 3 months ago, you saw one of these "stupid drone" reports about once a month. A month ago it went up to one a week. Now it is one report every 2 days. The story template is getting traction and I predict daily FPV horror stories. The general public is not going to put up with this.

Don't you guys see what is coming? This stuff is going to get regulated right out of existence and the AMA wants to spend another 1/4 million on defending FPV??

I think the fireworks analogy earlier is good. People that were using them safely were not the problem. Is it fair that everyone was affected by wide regulation of fireworks? No, but it happened anyway. Just like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.