Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Average weight of a drone is 4-6lbs depending on payload. Aluminum and plastic parts + lipo packs.

Velocity vs. mass.. A 4-6lb drone will most certainly take down an aircraft. Especially small private.

Have a look at this.. Kinetic Energy of Bird Strikes & Damage to Aircraft

www.aaae.org/?e=showFile&l=WFPKVO

Last edited by Flynstuff; 08-07-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom line is the FPV guys brought this on them selfs and they DON'T CARE who they take down with them.

Bob hit the nail on the head.

As someone said earlier.. How long can the guys following the rules keep looking at the same field and the same rocks etc.. Its human nature to be curious and they WILL wonder outside the boundaries. One of my club members just admitted to me that he was board of looking at the sod field so he followed the train tracks to the hub! I was Pissed at him. He a great guys but that was so stupid to do.

Point being.. they cant help themselves.. they will continue to put our hobby in jeopardy. Ground them ALL before THEY ground US!!

On the other side of the coin... You have the people the willfully set out to break the rules and even try to promote their stupidity.

On RCCanada there is a moderator that goes by the name MAX. He posted on Facebook that he didnt want to go the field because it was too cold, so he sat at home and whatched his flight from his 60" plazma while sitting on the Couch in his home!!!! When other modelers confronted him... What did he do?.... He posted his actions and how to set it up on RCCanada for all to see. Comments that didnt appeal to him where quickly removed(you can do that when your a mod)

This person has been called into the police station and does not care.. He continues to break all the rules and rub the faces of the FPV guys that try to stay in line,,in the mud.

So there you have it.. a decent guy that just gets board and does something stupid like flying over the train hub. And then you got the SELFISH IDIOT that willing breaks all the rules and doesnt give a crap about anyone else..

BAN ALL FPV!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Max flying FPV from his living room (1).png
Views:	112
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2020760  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you guys seen this post?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...0-000-fpv.html
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And, one more time, the police lower the boom on a quad operator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_AWp4tQyNk
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the purchase of a quadcopter and camera automatically come with a law degree? Very time I see one of these hobby ambassadors out on YouTube they are "explaining" to the police how their rights are being violated and how they are within the law. All these years I thought you had to go to law school.....
Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And, one more time, the police lower the boom on a quad operator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_AWp4tQyNk
The police did not lower any boom other then the boom of making ***** up. He was not being unsafe and was never accused of such. Nice to see our Law Enforcement Officers making up laws out of thin air. I don't disagree people do unsafe things with FPV, but this is not one of those videos and the cop was wrong.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:29 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by DocYates
Does the purchase of a quadcopter and camera automatically come with a law degree? Very time I see one of these hobby ambassadors out on YouTube they are "explaining" to the police how their rights are being violated and how they are within the law. All these years I thought you had to go to law school.....
Apparently being a cop doesn't come with a law degree either. These days they appear to get a Masters in harassment and bullying.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, maybe saying "lowering the boom" was a little too harsh. Then again, after hearing the last arriving officer say that the "policy" would be officially added to the written rules, it's obvious to me that the owner was getting screwed when you consider that he was told he had to drive 45 miles to a "designated flying area" to fly his quad without it being confiscated by the officers
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mike,
The park can have regulations. That is part of a private (public) place such as this. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Regardless if he was being "safe" or not, if he is proving to be a nuisance or posing a threat, he can be asked to leave. According to the video there is a park designated for flying RC models, and they intend for that activity to be conducted there. The guy was wrong and knew it, but wanted to challenge the "written" law. He would never win this fight, but is too dumb to know it.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

mike,
The park can have regulations. That is part of a private (public) place such as this. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Regardless if he was being "safe" or not, if he is proving to be a nuisance or posing a threat, he can be asked to leave. According to the video there is a park designated for flying RC models, and they intend for that activity to be conducted there. The guy was wrong and knew it, but wanted to challenge the "written" law. He would never win this fight, but is too dumb to know it.
Yep, see: http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=1601

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
The police did not lower any boom other then the boom of making ***** up. He was not being unsafe and was never accused of such. Nice to see our Law Enforcement Officers making up laws out of thin air. I don't disagree people do unsafe things with FPV, but this is not one of those videos and the cop was wrong.
Yeah and the Cops drove away thinking..."you know these RC guys are a real pain in the ass. We'll fix that." Yeah.. Selfish Idiots confronting the cops is always a good thing.
He should have reminded the cop how his tax paying dollars pays the cops paycheck.

One more black eye for ALL RC pilots, courtesy of yet another FPV pilot

Last edited by Vettster; 08-11-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Okay, maybe saying "lowering the boom" was a little too harsh. Then again, after hearing the last arriving officer say that the "policy" would be officially added to the written rules, it's obvious to me that the owner was getting screwed when you consider that he was told he had to drive 45 miles to a "designated flying area" to fly his quad without it being confiscated by the officers
He should move closer to his flying field then. Its like having a boat and living 45 miles away from water. Its his own fault for living far away. This is the exact reason we want to be separated from FPV. I only fly my jet at RC clubs or full scale airports and always do my homework like when I go to a new field I get a satellite view from google maps so I can make sure I am not overflying anything that could make it unsafe. I would never try and fly at a park.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by gunradd
He should move closer to his flying field then. Its like having a boat and living 45 miles away from water. Its his own fault for living far away. This is the exact reason we want to be separated from FPV. I only fly my jet at RC clubs or full scale airports and always do my homework like when I go to a new field I get a satellite view from google maps so I can make sure I am not overflying anything that could make it unsafe. I would never try and fly at a park.
I'm sorry but, if the guy with the quad is paying a mortgage, it's not likely he can just up and move. I know that with mine and the wife's jobs, moving isn't an option for either of us, nor is putting our house on the market and moving to facilitate my boat racing hobby
Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sorry but, if the guy with the quad is paying a mortgage, it's not likely he can just up and move. I know that with mine and the wife's jobs, moving isn't an option for either of us, nor is putting our house on the market and moving to facilitate my boat racing hobby
My field is 67.3 miles from my house. Its the only safe place to fly a jet so I make the drive with a smile. I would never fly it in a park and put others at risk. He is the one that choose to live far away from a proper place to fly. No one made him move their.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:12 AM
SushiHunter

Yeah that's like saying I'm tired of driving 20 miles to the nearest gun range, so is it acceptable to just turn by back yard into one instead?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
mike1974

mike,
The "dumb" people are the ones to scared to stand up for their rights and freedom.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by rhklenke
That release is dated June 20th. The video is dated June 7th. From what I have seen so far, there is nothing proving he did anything wrong and or broke any law or ordinance..

Just to clarify for everyone, I am not endorseing this kind of flying nor would I fly in areas like this myself, but cops cant just make up stuff.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Vettster
Yeah and the Cops drove away thinking..."you know these RC guys are a real pain in the ass. We'll fix that." Yeah.. Selfish Idiots confronting the cops is always a good thing.
He should have reminded the cop how his tax paying dollars pays the cops paycheck.

One more black eye for ALL RC pilots, courtesy of yet another FPV pilot
So standing your ground when cops start making stuff up means you become a selfish idiot? Interesting thought process. And yes, he should have reminded the cops who pays their salary!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by gunradd
I hope you would only fly your jet in a safe place. It's fast as hell and can explode on impact! Multirotors are not the same thing. And lipos are more stable than people would have you believe.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
DMichael
My Feedback: (5)

I have no problem protecting real aeromodelers who fly their aircraft of any type for the joy of flight responsibly. The truth is that the guys who are causing our pain are not even in the same hobby as we are- they are amateur photographers, not aeromodelers, and that's how we should characterize them. Our goal should be to preserve aeromodeling not irresponsible amateur photographer who just happen to use quads as their platform.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Yeah that's like saying I'm tired of driving 20 miles to the nearest gun range, so is it acceptable to just turn by back yard into one instead?
No, actually it's not even close to the same thing. Now, if you turn your backyard into an RC jetport, then you might be getting closer to the same thing.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
rhklenke

That release is dated June 20th. The video is dated June 7th. From what I have seen so far, there is nothing proving he did anything wrong and or broke any law or ordinance..

Just to clarify for everyone, I am not endorseing this kind of flying nor would I fly in areas like this myself, but cops cant just make up stuff.
I'm not sure if the incident in the video is in a National Park - my guess is that its in a local park.

My point was that the National Park Service has instituted a policy of "No unmanned aircraft" (which includes regular RC airplanes), so it can be done. Interestingly enough, the NPS instituted this blanket policy after some noted incidents that involved multicopters, not "traditional" model aircraft...

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
rhklenke

So standing your ground when cops start making stuff up means you become a selfish idiot? Interesting thought process. And yes, he should have reminded the cops who pays their salary!
That tact NEVER works!

Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM
rhklenke

I hope you would only fly your jet in a safe place. It's fast as hell and can explode on impact! Multirotors are not the same thing. And lipos are more stable than people would have you believe.
Yes, you are right, multirotors are different than RC jets, and they have a MUCH WORSE safety record to prove it!

Bob

http://everythinggeraldton.com.au/20...njuries-drone/

http://www.suasnews.com/2013/09/2513...o-crowd-spain/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...un-than-bulls/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-been-filming/

http://www.personal-drones.net/tag/crash/

http://dronefocus.com/2013/09/19/cop...-in-barcelona/

http://7online.com/archive/9270668/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fect-shot.html

Last edited by rhklenke; 08-11-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 AM
mike1974

I'm not sure if the incident in the video is in a National Park - my guess is that its in a local park.

My point was that the National Park Service has instituted a policy of "No unmanned aircraft" (which includes regular RC airplanes), so it can be done. Interestingly enough, the NPS instituted this blanket policy after some noted incidents that involved multicopters, not "traditional" model aircraft...

Bob
I agree that a national park is not the best place to go fly FPV. If you are an officer of the law, at least be able to prove you are not making stuff up.

That tact NEVER works!

Bob
No, but some of them need a reminder anyways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.