Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BV's letters to AMA and FAA

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
I hope you would only fly your jet in a safe place. It's fast as hell and can explode on impact! Multirotors are not the same thing. And lipos are more stable than people would have you believe.
((And lipos are more stable than people would have you believe)) REALLY??

Lipos are the number one cause of RC related aircraft and car fires. Sorry but I strongly disagree, I have done significant testing on proper use and storage of Lipo's for the USG. If so much as a twig punctures a pack it's on fire.

6.6 Life packs for me..
Old 08-11-2014, 08:51 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Flynstuff
((And lipos are more stable than people would have you believe)) REALLY??

Lipos are the number one cause of RC related aircraft and car fires. Sorry but I strongly disagree, I have done significant testing on proper use and storage of Lipo's for the USG. If so much as a twig punctures a pack it's on fire.

6.6 Life packs for me..
I'm not saying they are perfectly safe, but I have yet to see a lipo explode/catch fire whether it was charging or in a crash. I have seen a lipo cause a fire because a wire came loose and shorted it out. I certainly agree that Life packs are the better option.

I dumb thumbed my .30 size heli a couple years back and the lipo was ejected and thrown into the side of the steel building. It did nothing. I didn't use it again, but it did not explode or catch fire.

Last edited by mike1974; 08-11-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not saying they are perfectly safe, but I have yet to see a lipo explode/catch fire whether it was charging or in a crash. I have seen a lipo cause a fire because a wire came loose and shorted it out. I certainly agree that Life packs are the better option.

I dumb thumbed my .30 size heli a couple years back and the lipo was ejected and thrown into the side of the steel building. It did nothing. I didn't use it again, but it did not explode or catch fire.
Well then you need to get out more before you make comments about something you don't have enough experience with. Several people here have lost their homes because of lipos. At Kentucky jets saw 3 different planes catch fire 2 of them where charging and another was just sitting their. We also almost lost out flying field due to a lipo catching the grass on fire that got out of control and burned down allot of trees around the field.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by gunradd
Well then you need to get out more before you make comments about something you don't have enough experience with. Several people here have lost their homes because of lipos. At Kentucky jets saw 3 different planes catch fire 2 of them where charging and another was just sitting their. We also almost lost out flying field due to a lipo catching the grass on fire that got out of control and burned down allot of trees around the field.
Just describing my personal experience with lipos. Never said they were completely safe. Sorry your experience has been for the worst. I will try and get out more.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lipos have nothing to do with the debate here. Perhaps you guys can debate lipos on a lipo thread.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So standing your ground when cops start making stuff up means you become a selfish idiot? Interesting thought process. And yes, he should have reminded the cops who pays their salary!
Ohh Please Please... The next time you get pulled over, tell the cop you pay his salary and then throw the law in his face. I beg of you!! TAKE VIDEO!

Those cops didnt do anything wrong what so ever! In fact they were very courteous unlike the ***** that couldn't care less about the people in the park or showing any kind of respect for the police. This was just one person.. but this happens thousands of times a day across N America.

BAN ALL FPV. If I were American.. I would send the FAA a letter SUPPORTING their decision.

Last edited by Vettster; 08-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Vettster
Ohh Please Please... The next time you get pulled over, tell the cop you pay his salary and then throw the law in his face. I beg of you!! TAKE VIDEO!
What are you talking about??!?!?!?!? Please show me my blanket statement that says you should be rude and defiant to any and all officers. Did you even read what I wrote?

If I get pulled over for speeding or a tail light being out, reckless driving, etc., thats my own fault and would not argue a bit. It's called personal responsibilty. On the other hand, if I were approached by an officer while flying my little foamie at my local ball fields with noone around and he told me to leave; then he needs to prove I cannot be there or he can be on his way.

Just because my opinions in this thread most certainly are not in the majority here does not mean I am trying to argue, pick on anybody, troll, etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Vettster

OR... the Dumb Ass could have just packed up and left! Then he could return the next day to continue his selfish acts.. But NO! He had to think he the BIG MAN and start a debate with the police cause he thinks he better than them. Have you even considered WHY the police were called there? Perhaps and most likely the public didnt like haveing this thing buzzing over their heads and possibly their childrens heads.

ITS A PARK.... NOT AN AIRPORT!! Sheesse

BAN ALL FPV!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

No, actually it's not even close to the same thing. Now, if you turn your backyard into an RC jetport, then you might be getting closer to the same thing.
In other words there is a degree of lawlessness involved. As long as it's Mike's fun then that lawlessness is ok.
No, Mike, it is the same thing, especially if I put up berms to stop any stray bullets. However, s--t happen. And whether I trip and fire a gun into the air or drop my transmitter and the quad falls into a car driving down the street, it is still negligence, not an "accident"..
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike, what you and those who think like you don't get is that s--t happens. Those of us who follow the rules follow them so that minimal damage occurs when that s--t happens. That is the stated purpose of the rules.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:29 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by rgburrill
In other words there is a degree of lawlessness involved. As long as it's Mike's fun then that lawlessness is ok.
No, Mike, it is the same thing, especially if I put up berms to stop any stray bullets. However, s--t happen. And whether I trip and fire a gun into the air or drop my transmitter and the quad falls into a car driving down the street, it is still negligence, not an "accident"..
We will have to agree to disagree that guns firing bullets are akin to flying a multirotor in the backyard. Apparently you missed the part about flying at the local ball fields when NOONE is around. And it is a small foamie. There is no lawlessness. lol I also NEVER fly my nitros or my larger electric foam fw-190 anywhere other then the club field.

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Mike, what you and those who think like you don't get is that s--t happens. Those of us who follow the rules follow them so that minimal damage occurs when that s--t happens. That is the stated purpose of the rules.
Me and those who think like me? He was not following the rules? Please show me what rules he was breaking. I agree that flying a large multirotor FPV or otherwise around people or property is not a wise thing nor would I do it. I also think it is stupid to fly any RC craft around airports, near flight paths, around homes, buildings you don't own, etc. I think you guys are confusing my argument of the legal right to be there vs the fact that they should probably fly somewhere else. Apparently you see me as some rogue pilot flying whenever and wherever I feel like it. This is anything but true. I am very safety oriented, am a member of a club and I am an AMA member. My son is a junior AMA member and a junior member of the club. I teach him to always be safe and how to operate RC crafts and equipment safely. I'm sorry if my propensity is not to bend over and have my rights shoved up my you know what just because someone is wearing a uniform.

OR... the Dumb Ass could have just packed up and left! Then he could return the next day to continue his selfish acts.. But NO! He had to think he the BIG MAN and start a debate with the police cause he thinks he better than them. Have you even considered WHY the police were called there? Perhaps and most likely the public didnt like haveing this thing buzzing over their heads and possibly their childrens heads.

ITS A PARK.... NOT AN AIRPORT!! Sheesse

BAN ALL FPV!!!!
A little hostile? Ya, ban all FPV. That will show all those rogue pilots who don't care about the laws whose boss. lol If he was in an isolated area, safety/property damage was not an issue AND there were no laws/regulations banning RC then he had every right to be there. Notice I did not say I would do that, or that it was a smart thing to do, or that I think people should fly anywhere they want.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I suspected for years that there were thousands of modelers who wish they had the money, time, and the skill necessary to fly model helicopters back about 15-20 years ago. Then came the advent of the toy counter-rotating 'helicopters' that became very popular, especially when Horizon, Tower, and others started selling them. Next came a few quad copters which were even easier to fly, and thanks to Asian technology and mass production techniques, were literally everywhere. Of course the people that always wanted to fly helis were attracted to them -- by the thousands. And they are pushed harder by the huge profit margins and the hobby magazines always seeking the next best thing. And they ARE fun. And there you have it. They are everywhere. Do they attract people on the fringe of responsible actions?.... of course. Are they as dangerous as a Violett jet out of control? Or Hodges' B-29 crashing into a tent behind a flight line? Or a 3D plane crashing into spectators? Or a helicopter spinning 700mm blades at tip speeds over 300mph? If it's airborne and radio controlled, there will be issues. The nut behind the wheel should be our concern in ALL venues. I honestly am not as worried about 'drones' as I am about some other aircraft, especially if they are equipped with reliable GPS units. But then again, I don't sell any hobby products for profit. I just don't want anyone telling me what and when and where I can fly.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

He was not following the rules? Please show me what rules he was breaking.
Something tells me this will be "fixed" MUCH faster after this exchange....

And when it "gets fixed" you can bet it will be all RC banned,

A microcosm of the danger we (AMA) will face, trying to "protect" FPV. There is a great chance we will get dragged down with them.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Something tells me this will be "fixed" MUCH faster after this exchange....

And when it "gets fixed" you can bet it will be all RC banned,

A microcosm of the danger we (AMA) will face, trying to "protect" FPV. There is a great chance we will get dragged down with them.
I'm sure it will get "fixed". That means in the future. My argument is strictly his right to be there at that time. No one has shown me any law/regulation that he broke. Let me be clear; I am not trying to protect FPV or suggest he was making a smart decision as to where he was flying.

1. If there is no danger and no laws/regulations prohibiting such actions, then the Police have no leg to stand on and therefore have no right to harass, threaten or confiscate anything or anybody. Does not matter if anyone feels he should be there or not.

2. Banning FPV will do nothing other than keep honest people from flying FPV while the rogue pilots you see in YouTube videos will continue. So what does that accomplish?

Last edited by mike1974; 08-11-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Vettster

Why is this guys RIGHTS the only thing you consider? How about the RIGHTS of the PUBLIC to walk freely around a PUBLIC PARK with out being concerned weather or not their going to be hit in the head by something they have ZERO understanding about.

You say he has the RIGHT to endanger unaware people in a Public Park because it was not in writing.... Does that mean that the Public can walk all over the runway at an AMA flying field because it not in writing?? Show me where it says the public can not walk all around the runways.. Not Club rules... but LAW since thats what we're talking about. In fact the public would not do such a stupid thing knowing the obvious danger.. but to go for a walk in the park, they now loose their rights because some selfish idiot wants to fly his Drone?? and its not in writing?

Banning FPV will make a difference. Because there are VERY few that actually play by the rules. If it becomes illegal.. guys like this wont have a foot to stand on. One by one they will be ticketed and their names recorded. Repeat offenders will stand with greater fines or even jail. Soon enough the cost of the fines will out way the cost of flying FPV. And for thoughs extreme idiots that fly in controlled airspace?? Its the slammer.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM
mike1974

Why is this guys RIGHTS the only thing you consider? How about the RIGHTS of the PUBLIC to walk freely around a PUBLIC PARK with out being concerned weather or not their going to be hit in the head by something they have ZERO understanding about.

You say he has the RIGHT to endanger unaware people in a Public Park because it was not in writing.... Does that mean that the Public can walk all over the runway at an AMA flying field because it not in writing?? Show me where it says the public can not walk all around the runways.. Not Club rules... but LAW since thats what we're talking about. In fact the public would not do such a stupid thing knowing the obvious danger.. but to go for a walk in the park, they now loose their rights because some selfish idiot wants to fly his Drone?? and its not in writing?

Banning FPV will make a difference. Because there are VERY few that actually play by the rules. If it becomes illegal.. guys like this wont have a foot to stand on. One by one they will be ticketed and their names recorded. Repeat offenders will stand with greater fines or even jail. Soon enough the cost of the fines will out way the cost of flying FPV. And for thoughs extreme idiots that fly in controlled airspace?? Its the slammer.
To address your first paragraph. As I have already said before, if he is not endangering anyone or anything or causing any problems, then I don't see the problem. If he finds an open, empty field and is responsible and not causing problems let him be. I'm not advocating that he has the right to endanger or disrupt people at a park. Just like I won't fly my little foamie at the ball fields if anyone is there. I live in a very small town and lots of times the ball fields are deserted.

To your second paragraph. I never said he has the right to endanger unaware people in the park. What I did say was that if he was being responsible and safe when it comes to people and property then there should not be an issue. If you have read through my posts you know that I am in no way advocating danger and deviance towards persons and property. What I do advocate for is standing up for your rights if you are being responsible and pose no danger to persons or property. Especially if there is no law/regulation against such activity. Why don't the club rules count? So if a park makes a regulation banning all RC aircraft activity that does not count? We are talking laws and regulations which is why I continue to type "law/regulation". I never said that the police should not be able to enforce a law/regulation, just that one needs to exist to enforce.

To your third paragraph. I respectfully disagree that banning FPV will make a big difference and I also see a problem controlling it, not to mention there is a large amount of money to be made worldwide. I guess we will see. Why does it have to be ban all FPV? Just go after the people that are flying unsafe. The parks can create their regulations to disallow RC aircraft if they choose and that will in turn provide officers a way to remove the individual/s violating the regulation. I would like to think that the FAA realizes it cannot just ban all RC aircraft and single handedly destroy an entire industry.

If you read what I have posted in this thread you should see that we are in agreement about most of this.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100% with Bob V's comments and have been wondering why ( well we all know why ) the AMA has embraced FPV and UAV type aircraft.
All I can say is that Bob may have some trouble advertising in MA Magazine in the future!

2 thumbs up Bob. You nailed the AMA on this one!

Amazing all the illegal crazy stuff going on in this country and you are still required to have a license to own a dog!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

I have an idea to the problem of people flying FPV and various copters is that the AMA and the FAA should get together and see if it could become a nation wide law that all FPV and Copters be flown only at AMA sanctioned fields That way if a person flying a FPV aircraft starts to fly it out of sight another member could tell the individual that they are breaking the law and that the aircraft needs to be brought into line of sight. We, the.AMA members could at least be a self policing entity with FPV and Copters. We could do it the same way as when we see someone not doing the right thing at an AMA field flying a standard aircraft. You call him down and tell him he can't be doing that sorta things. This would also put a stop to people doing crazy things with FPV aircraft because they would be forced to do it from there house or store parking lot,parks or whatever. If a police officer see an individual with transmitter and no aircraft in sighr he could go over to the individual and tell him he needs to bring the aircraft back and land it and then write him a citation with a really good sized fined attatched ($500-$1,000) I really believe when people who fly FPV aircraft and copters start hearing on the tv that people who are flying FPV aircraft and copters are being seriously fined for not being at a AMA field that they may get the idea and stop doing it. This way we could go back to be a self policing organization.Also the AMA would benefit because a lot of new members would sign up so they could fly within the law. In short i'm saying that ALL aircraft HAVE to fly from an AMA field (except park flyers)

Last edited by melvin; 08-11-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

I think Mike is trying to tell you we are a nation of laws. Don't be so quick to give up your rights. The police job is to enforce the law, not make it. Please see the founding documents if you are confused. With that being said we are a nation of laws and that is why they will probably be passed to put more restrictions on our hobby. Especially when we argue over what is more dangerous in our hobby A - jet crashing. b - burning lipo. C - 3d plane in a crowd of spectators or d - high speed prop to the face. When all is said and done at least my giant scale planes will make nice lawn ornaments.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, I never expected to see this kind of response to posting that video link. But now, for better or worse, FPV is going to court:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV0HEzQM_Uw
Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 AM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Actually i'm not giving up any rights because i don't fly copters or FPV aircraft. But in this world we live in today some peoples rights may,will have to be limited to protect the masses from the few idiots that argue that their rights are being trammpled. I would think at one time you could fish any time of the year and catch as many fish and any type fish you wanted. Those days are long gone!! Ialso believe that when autos first were invented people were driving them without any regulations. You know how that story went. Driver license's Insp. stickers ,Proof of ins. regristration. We are a nation of laws,whether we like it or not it has to be that way to protect people from the morons in this world. FPV and copters have to be regulated before somebody gets killed If that happens than the whole RC community will suffer the consquiences. They need to be forced to fly at AMA fields where they can be monotored by other club members. The rogue flyers who refuse to do so will be a lot less in number and than let the police deal with them. I'm sure a lot of them will say that's boring flyig at a AMA field and not want to fly anymore but that is going to be too bad because if we don't do something soon we will all be shut down because a few think their rights are being trammpled.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Wow, I never expected to see this kind of response to posting that video link. But now, for better or worse, FPV is going to court:
Old news. Actually, the judge ruled against the FAA, but its under appeal now. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...rker/11793203/

Bob
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 AM
krzy4rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Its funny, I don't think the FAA took a reasonable approach aginst him, They should have gone after his flight in New York. That's the type of flying that is damaging to our hobby. Flying over people and buildings without permissions is not safe to me.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The police were well within their job description to stop the flying in the park, written rules or not. They are tasked with safety, and when in doubt, shut it down. They witnessed him flying, and there have been too many incidents lately involving similar activity reported in the media. They made a reasonable assement of the situation, and shut it down. Agin, peferectly within their rights and there is no court in the land that would fault them for it. Most of the FPV guys are living under the pretense that is it better to ask for "forgiveness rather than for permission", and then when they are confronted they want to use the old "you work for me" adage to the police, which goes over about like a rat in the cereal box. This only goes to make things worse. Instead of packing up his toys and going to seek permission to fly the thing in the park he had rather argue with the cop and ask for written laws to be pointed out. He was never going to win that battle, show me any video evidence where someone caught like this, after such a confrontation, was allowed to go back immediately and start to fly again. Goobs like this are ruining it for everyone. I have seen it occur in the turbine community, and will be the same with the FPV crowd. Unfortuanely they have caught the eye of the media and the FAA at the same time with thie shenanigans and I think before it is all said and done we will all be the worse for it.
And Mike, yes, there are plenty of "dumb" people out there who think it is more prudent to question authority than accept it. I have lived long enough, and am intelligent enough to know, those type of battles are never won in a situation like that. If you want to, however, win the war, do it the right way, cover your bases and have written permission before engaging in that activity. You will get a lot further.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 AM
krzy4rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DocYates
The police were well within their job description to stop the flying in the park, written rules or not. They are tasked with safety, and when in doubt, shut it down. They witnessed him flying, and there have been too many incidents lately involving similar activity reported in the media. They made a reasonable assement of the situation, and shut it down. Agin, peferectly within their rights and there is no court in the land that would fault them for it. Most of the FPV guys are living under the pretense that is it better to ask for "forgiveness rather than for permission", and then when they are confronted they want to use the old "you work for me" adage to the police, which goes over about like a rat in the cereal box. This only goes to make things worse. Instead of packing up his toys and going to seek permission to fly the thing in the park he had rather argue with the cop and ask for written laws to be pointed out. He was never going to win that battle, show me any video evidence where someone caught like this, after such a confrontation, was allowed to go back immediately and start to fly again. Goobs like this are ruining it for everyone. I have seen it occur in the turbine community, and will be the same with the FPV crowd. Unfortuanely they have caught the eye of the media and the FAA at the same time with thie shenanigans and I think before it is all said and done we will all be the worse for it.
And Mike, yes, there are plenty of "dumb" people out there who think it is more prudent to question authority than accept it. I have lived long enough, and am intelligent enough to know, those type of battles are never won in a situation like that. If you want to, however, win the war, do it the right way, cover your bases and have written permission before engaging in that activity. You will get a lot further.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.