Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Plug and Play F16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Plug and Play F16

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information on CG and for offering the Xicoy balance numbers, I will be watching.

Dave
Old 11-05-2016, 02:45 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ozief16
The primary reason for the 210 was so that I could swap motors between this plane and my SM Phantom that's coming rather than having two motors.
Come on Dave.....don't be a typical cheapskate pilot. Use that retro pay check that's coming and buy another motor!

Craig

PS: Congrats on that F-16. I may have to get one of those bad-boys myself.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:47 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Craig,

But I'm saving for a belt clip for my cell phone and some Birkenstocks to wear with socks!

My intent is to buy another 210 for the Phantom. I just wanted to be able to swap motors if I had to instead of having two different motors

The KT has performed flawlessly though I did go to the full-expo mode today and found I preferred that to the half expo I ran early in the week. Basically I was finding that the throttle was 2-3 clicks off idle in the pattern and I hated feeling like I had the throttle buried with a high drag config. This mode (internal to the KT) lets me have the throttle further off the stop but still be producing the same thrust on the low end. Yes I know the motor is at the same rpm and the only difference is the throttle stick position and that its all mental, but Dumbo needed a feather to fly!

I am finding the further I push the CG back the happier the plane is.

Additionally I found with flaps deployed the roll got sloppy and took almost 50% stick deflection to get it to turn. I mixed in elevons with flap today and was pleased with the result. The plane retained a nice turn capability even slow with flaperon hanging. I highly recommend that. I used 20%

Again, this is all technique. I'm just sharing in case it helps someone

Dave
Old 11-06-2016, 05:52 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Dave I also have tailerons mixed with flaps down. With the breeze we had this last weekend I was doing high alpha passes and at times the plane was not moving at all with ground speed! Its the best high alpha plane I have ever flown.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:54 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig,

But I'm saving for a belt clip for my cell phone and some Birkenstocks to wear with socks!

My intent is to buy another 210 for the Phantom. I just wanted to be able to swap motors if I had to instead of having two different motors

The KT has performed flawlessly though I did go to the full-expo mode today and found I preferred that to the half expo I ran early in the week. Basically I was finding that the throttle was 2-3 clicks off idle in the pattern and I hated feeling like I had the throttle buried with a high drag config. This mode (internal to the KT) lets me have the throttle further off the stop but still be producing the same thrust on the low end. Yes I know the motor is at the same rpm and the only difference is the throttle stick position and that its all mental, but Dumbo needed a feather to fly!

I am finding the further I push the CG back the happier the plane is.

Additionally I found with flaps deployed the roll got sloppy and took almost 50% stick deflection to get it to turn. I mixed in elevons with flap today and was pleased with the result. The plane retained a nice turn capability even slow with flaperon hanging. I highly recommend that. I used 20%

Again, this is all technique. I'm just sharing in case it helps someone

Dave
Hey Ozie...

Interesting what you are finding out. As you say, it must be about preference. I went the other way. Fount it too tail heavy with the recommended CG. Floated too much on landing and was hunting on Pitch.

Maybe the big difference is that I don't use the forward tanks (fuel or smoke), which create a big variation on CG during the flight.

Also, no flaps for me. Much more predictable landings. It will slow down just by AOA. But the flaps made it super floaty and I do not like that at all. I'm used to heavy metal, so like planes that sink predictably.

But all in all, what a sweet airplane

And Gundradd, the High Alpha is just insane!!!! Only matched by the BVM Twin Rafale!!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:37 AM
ozief16

Jack,

I found it to be semi-unperdictable in pitch until the CG got back a bit and now it feels better. It is now more predictable in pitch and sinks much better and at a lower airspeed as well. I felt like I was hunting in pitch previously and had to dump the nose to get it to come down which immediately picked up 15 mph which I had to scrub somewhere else. Now it settles in at about 58mph and just drives down final...not quite heavy-metal but much better behaved IMO.

I do miss the feel of my BV Phantom though. I always said you could put a drop of glue on the elevator stick once established on final and just use power all the way in. The FS F-16 is a lot more floaty in the pattern than a FS Phantom as well. In fact, depending on weight, you touch around 140 and the thing keeps flying all the way down to 90 or so, so there's a fight in a x-wind for those 50 knots!

All that said for those reading, Jack is "The Man" and has more time in the last year than I've got total, so move your CG with all of this in mind. To see him land his F model Hun is akin to poetry in motion...truly amazing.

As I have it now I think 400' would be more than comfortable if you nailed the landing...I think mine rolls 200' with medium braking...pretty spectacular.

Yes, it's an expensive plane guys (thank you USAA insurance!), but it really is a low stress machine that seems to be very reliable despite its complexity.

Dave

Last edited by ozief16; 11-06-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: better speaking mostly goodly
Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM
ozief16

There was a gentleman named Warren out there yesterday that was kind enough to snap a couple photos and share them with me.

Check out the landing photo, on the centerline (phew!)

I have already started weathering the plane and will repaint a few spots to match my plane (changing the tail number and from an Eileson jet to Nellis)

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Model F-16 pre-weathering 3.jpg
Views:	1954
Size:	1,010.8 KB
ID:	2189138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Model F-16 Pre weathering 2.jpg
Views:	1950
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2189139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Model F-16 pre weathering.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2189140  
Old 11-06-2016, 11:23 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Check out the landing photo, on the centerline (phew!)

I have already started weathering the plane and will repaint a few spots to match my plane (changing the tail number and from an Eileson jet to Nellis)

Dave
photoshop. LoL look forward to Phoenix. Show em the pilot
Old 11-06-2016, 11:33 AM
ozief16

Duh Buck! I'm lucky to hit the damn pavement!

Dave
Old 11-07-2016, 08:37 AM
JackD

Jack,

I found it to be semi-unperdictable in pitch until the CG got back a bit and now it feels better. It is now more predictable in pitch and sinks much better and at a lower airspeed as well. I felt like I was hunting in pitch previously and had to dump the nose to get it to come down which immediately picked up 15 mph which I had to scrub somewhere else. Now it settles in at about 58mph and just drives down final...not quite heavy-metal but much better behaved IMO.

I do miss the feel of my BV Phantom though. I always said you could put a drop of glue on the elevator stick once established on final and just use power all the way in. The FS F-16 is a lot more floaty in the pattern than a FS Phantom as well. In fact, depending on weight, you touch around 140 and the thing keeps flying all the way down to 90 or so, so there's a fight in a x-wind for those 50 knots!

All that said for those reading, Jack is "The Man" and has more time in the last year than I've got total, so move your CG with all of this in mind. To see him land his F model Hun is akin to poetry in motion...truly amazing.

As I have it now I think 400' would be more than comfortable if you nailed the landing...I think mine rolls 200' with medium braking...pretty spectacular.

Yes, it's an expensive plane guys (thank you USAA insurance!), but it really is a low stress machine that seems to be very reliable despite its complexity.

Dave
Ha! not at all. Im new to this plane. I have a Hypothesis: you are using the front tank for fuel..is that the first or last tank to empty? If so, that is the difference. You are flying with 2 pounds of fuel well in front of the CG (which you measured dry), while i have those 2 tanks empty. It would be interesting to see where your CG is with the front tank full...

But, the important thing is that you are enjoying it!!! me too!... and now you got me curious about trying my Rhino 200 in it haha

DId you convert the fuel system to Hi-flo? or are you going with the stock fuel system? what UAT are you using?

Thanks
Jack
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 AM
ozief16

Good hypothesis Jack...except I empty that tank first into the mains and then to the motor from there so my landing CG is always the same.

The big motor really just loafs around in normal cruise and isn't working hardly at all. When you punch it however, it is THERE!

I redid the whole fuel system. I went 6mm lines everywhere, large bore clunk lines with brass tubing in the middle, heavy clunks, and drilled out the vent nipples on the tanks. I am using a UAT that looks like a BV but is high flow from DW.

Dave

Last edited by ozief16; 11-07-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 PM
CraigG

I redid the whole fuel system. I went 6mm lines everywhere, large bore clunk lines with brass tubing in the middle, heavy clunks, and drilled out the vent nipples on the tanks. I am using a UAT that looks like a BV but is high bore from DW.

Dave
Dave.....the BV website says "BVM Hi-flow fuel system" installed. Is this a recent change or did you do something above and beyond?
Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
ozief16

Craig,

I ordered mine in July so not sure to answer your question. I've talked to a few guys that are running big block motors as the fuel system is.

To me I just wanted the peace of mind of going to 6mm throughout. The 6mm has a larger ID than stock line. I'll take a pic tonight for you. Like I said, lots of guys flying it with zero prob, but I swapped it as long as I had the system all torn up to convert one of the smoke tanks to fuel. Personal preference

The pic is crude at best but it shows the stock brass on the left and what I went to on the right as well as stock fuel line on the left and 6mm on the right. Again, 99% of guys have no probs with the fuel system so I don't want to start a hysteria

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2189318  

Last edited by ozief16; 11-07-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: pics
Old 11-07-2016, 06:54 PM
ozief16

Oh, Craig, I see that on the 1:5, but not the 1:6 (which is what I have)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:29 AM
CraigG

Oh, Craig, I see that on the 1:5, but not the 1:6 (which is what I have)
Thanks Dave.....I'm with you on the 6mm fuel lines in either case.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:43 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to agree with Jack. I have flown 5 different ones and they are very pitch sensitive with rec CG. I added 5 ounces to nose and they all flew much much better. Flaps used for landing and landings very predictable and slow
Old 11-08-2016, 10:48 AM
ozief16

Guys,

Now you have me wondering. I'm liking how he plane is flying much better after moving the CG aft...but from what? Mine had big CG marks on the wing root that someone put on with sharpie marker that I am using as my zero datum; so there is a potential for human error with the marking. I will throw it on xicoy when time allows to see where CG is relativ to main gear

if you guys do the old 45 Deg nose high and roll it on its back what do you see? Even now mine will arc gently back towards the horizon (i.e. Still slightly nose heavy)

Dave
Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 AM
JackD

Guys,

Now you have me wondering. I'm liking how he plane is flying much better after moving the CG aft...but from what? Mine had big CG marks on the wing root that someone put on with sharpie marker that I am using as my zero datum; so there is a potential for human error with the marking. I will throw it on xicoy when time allows to see where CG is relativ to main gear

if you guys do the old 45 Deg nose high and roll it on its back what do you see? Even now mine will arc gently back towards the horizon (i.e. Still slightly nose heavy)

Dave
Dave,

I measured mine last weekend with everything on, including batteries, gear down, UAT full, but no wings. My fuselage balanced right where there is a double panel line closer to the leading edge. (it is pretty obvious when you look at ti). That is probably about 2" or so in front of the mark that comes from the factory (again, wings are not on, it will move back once wings are installed, but since wings should weight approximately the same, just the fuse is a good reference for comparison).
Old 11-10-2016, 12:52 PM
ozief16

Jack,

i see the line youre you're talking about. It tough to accurately know where I am due to fat fingers but I am well aft of where you are. I find the plane to be very solid back there and will provide accurate numbers once I have it all sorted. Different strokes I guess. Like I said if I jack the nose 45 high with a good turn of speed and roll it inverted and release the sticks, the plane arcs back down indicating it's still slightly nose heavy. I think that's an old pattern flier trick

Dave
Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM
JackD

Jack,

i see the line youre you're talking about. It tough to accurately know where I am due to fat fingers but I am well aft of where you are. I find the plane to be very solid back there and will provide accurate numbers once I have it all sorted. Different strokes I guess. Like I said if I jack the nose 45 high with a good turn of speed and roll it inverted and release the sticks, the plane arcs back down indicating it's still slightly nose heavy. I think that's an old pattern flier trick

Dave
Totally a matter of taste

The interesting finding is that the plane is very forgiving on CG
Mine does the slight arc too, but I do have a Gyro, which in some way limits the arc

My next experiment is trying a 200 after hearing about yours!! mine with tha Cheetah 160 is just awesome, but just for fun, I'll try the 200 and see how it comes out of High Alpha (not needed for anything else, I fly the 160 at 3/4 max most of the time)

Thanks for sharing all this info!! finally something useful in RCU haha
Jack
Old 11-10-2016, 02:18 PM
ozief16

Ha! Good points all the way around Jack

Dave
Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM
tymt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone running a KT 210 in the bypass? Just wondering if the bypass diameter is large enough.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:41 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tymt
Is anyone running a KT 210 in the bypass? Just wondering if the bypass diameter is large enough.
You can do that but it's not necessary.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
You can do that but it's not necessary.

Agree!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX18 using the Cortex

Originally Posted by jsnipes
I have a Cortex in mine.

I have not flown the SM but the BVM is easy to land and all around easy flier. The light wing loading makes it a great flyer all around.

Honestly, I don't see a lot of 1/6 SM's here in the SC/NC/GA area so I don't have a good baseline. On the 1/5, the weight difference between the two is very dramatic.

JS
Installed the Cortex in mine. Curious to know if most people where using the gyro function in the DX18 or just assigning to a 3 position switch? This F16 is my first jet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.