Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New BVM Cougar?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New BVM Cougar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New BVM Cougar?

Does anyone know the scale of the new BVM P&P Cougar?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Thanks
Bet BVM does. Why not give them a call?
Nice to see them thoroughly testing multiple airframes before making an official announcement and releasing for sale. Novel concept in today's market, but as a buyer it's invaluable.
the fit and finish is truly impressive, I've seen it first hand. Looks to fly equally as well from what I saw in KY.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We found this on the Facebook page but don't know much else about it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	2018167  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Thanks
BV is doing a PNP Cougar? Oh my...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smaze17
BV is doing a PNP Cougar? Oh my...
Yes, they took it out of the box at Kentucky Jets and flew it the next day. I think Dustin said it had a 72" wingspan, or thereabouts. It looked like it was about the size of the Fei Bao Panther, which is 1/6.5 scale, I believe...

Bob
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

They proably would have had it flying faster if I wasn't helping out...I kept wanting to wipe my fingerprints off such a nice finish.
Looked really cool flying at dusk with the lights on.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM
smaze17

Wow….so sweet. You guys figure about the same pricing as the 16?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Dustin Buescher

Correction, it was flying that afternoon after the builders took a long lunch... I really need to crack the whip a little harder.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

Yes , this is another Jet legend product that has been hijacked by BVM! its, available world wide but if you live in the states you gotta go through BVM, such a shame for the american jet modeller , but I'm sure that you will get wonderful service from BVM , you'll just be paying through the nose for it, while European and other world wide owners are paying half the price..
check out the Jet Legend display at Jetpower show in Germany come September.

Jet Legend Agent of Eight years
Malcolm Kay Models.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Nice Airframe this JL built BVM Cougar I'm sure BV has had an influence on its development and that's a good thing, there is no substitute for experience..
I just hope that the new "prestige" of JL products such as the F16 this Cougar and perhaps soon to be realised 1/5 Yak 130 being under the BVM domain in the USA dose not hike the prices too much for us long faithful JL customers here in the free market of Europe
Here are a few pics from a Jet meet recently held in China, bit of a F16, Cougar Viper fest but looks like they had fun

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	02234047g9htb099w2t1j8.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	2018254   Click image for larger version

Name:	160004oonnxnzmmihgoi7m.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2018255   Click image for larger version

Name:	160104y7qepfgpy3sejyql.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	2018256   Click image for larger version

Name:	145202b44l31c23rglb421.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	2018257   Click image for larger version

Name:	0222345ttznawgq51yq9qa.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	2018258   Click image for larger version

Name:	003500eknjpetgkjkgqqck.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2018259   Click image for larger version

Name:	145240zbcanz1mjy1jjm14.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2018260   Click image for larger version

Name:	021819hk8itrnclxltlrdr.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	2018261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1450524eeeuu4myqomfoiu.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	2018262   Click image for larger version

Name:	2213361psspoe8epbnd5s6.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	2018263  

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 07-29-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:02 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by Malcolm Kay
Yes , this is another Jet legend product that has been hijacked by BVM! its, available world wide but if you live in the states you gotta go through BVM, such a shame for the american jet modeller , but I'm sure that you will get wonderful service from BVM , you'll just be paying through the nose for it, while European and other world wide owners are paying half the price..

Malcolm Kay Models.
Hijacked by BVM ?? I am sure negotiations were accomplished, and JL obviously agreed. Maybe JL is looking at increased sales through BVM . Going through BVM is not such a bad thing. A shame for the American Jet Modeler ? Service and support is what the "American" modeler wants. I am sure worldwide modelers are looking for the same thing. Does Fly Eagle ring a bell? Paying for quality service and support is worth it. If you buy a model and then have completely re-engineer it to get it to work , what is your time and effort worth? Also being able to talked to BV, Dustin and BV Reps about their products at the jet events is just another plus. I have never seen or met a JL rep at any event I have been to.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insignia on the blue one is wrong but looks good other than that.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

A purely innocent question...

What is this continued "service" American modellers are after and happy to pay additional thousands for? I've owned and built a lot of models from most manufacturers and don't think I've ever had the need for any sort of "service" beyond what even the worst company can offer since the day the kit arrived. Even the worst company I had to deal with answered mails within 4days when I needed a spare part.

I have no beef with BVM, the deal he has done or anyone buying one. I just don't understand how these JetLegend models have suddenly become the new greatest thing because BVM has printed a piece of nice paper telling you where the CofG is yet, beforehand, those praising them now would have been labelling them 'chinese crap'.....

I guess in Europe we're more used to 'mediocre' service and model kits with no instructions, info etc included. Luckily though it doesn't stop us from building and flying them

Personally, I'd prefer to pocket the extra few thousand for the next project and ask someone where the CofG is if it's not included in the kit

Last edited by schroedm; 07-29-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I come from a generation of modelers but in the last thirty years, North America has lost many of those and it has become a land of assemblers. Europe continues to respect the trades / skills and the majority of modelers there are just that - modelers.

Hobby stores here live and breathe from the sales of ARFs, very few kit manufacturers exist and guys can make a pretty good living building for those that don't want to.
When guys here complain that the instruction manual did not clearly state you need to place nut A on screw B - you begin to understand...

BVM knows the North American market. They are very, very, good at what they do and have a loyal following.

Regards
from Canada
Dean W.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM
schroedm

Wow OK. Thanks Dean.

I really just wondered what people were so happy to pay thousands for over and above the European asking price. Especially for a model that has been selling, flying and being assembled for years without any real issues.

Don't lose those damn manuals then, they're worth a LOT
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by Jetdktr
Hijacked by BVM ?? I am sure negotiations were accomplished, and JL obviously agreed. Maybe JL is looking at increased sales through BVM . Going through BVM is not such a bad thing. A shame for the American Jet Modeler ? Service and support is what the "American" modeler wants. I am sure worldwide modelers are looking for the same thing. Does Fly Eagle ring a bell? Paying for quality service and support is worth it. If you buy a model and then have completely re-engineer it to get it to work , what is your time and effort worth? Also being able to talked to BV, Dustin and BV Reps about their products at the jet events is just another plus. I have never seen or met a JL rep at any event I have been to.
Ditto,Jim and I dont mind paying for what we get from BVM. If you dont want the after sales service by it from another dealer; also these are PNP models not KITS or ARFS so again how did they steal JL away from dealers???
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I like BVM. And I like jet legend.

I've supported China plenty and I've supported made in USA jets.

And I also understand what it would mean to have your distributor of your meal ticket taken away from you.

It's like being caught in the proverbial rock and hard place.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Jetdktr

Originally Posted by schroedm
A purely innocent question...

What is this continued "service" American modellers are after and happy to pay additional thousands for? I've owned and built a lot of models from most manufacturers and don't think I've ever had the need for any sort of "service" beyond what even the worst company can offer since the day the kit arrived. Even the worst company I had to deal with answered mails within 4days when I needed a spare part.

I have no beef with BVM, the deal he has done or anyone buying one. I just don't understand how these JetLegend models have suddenly become the new greatest thing because BVM has printed a piece of nice paper telling you where the CofG is yet, beforehand, those praising them now would have been labelling them 'chinese crap'.....

I guess in Europe we're more used to 'mediocre' service and model kits with no instructions, info etc included. Luckily though it doesn't stop us from building and flying them

Personally, I'd prefer to pocket the extra few thousand for the next project and ask someone where the CofG is if it's not included in the kit

JL has not become the greatest thing since , as you say "a piece of paper......" JL is a decent airframe from what I have heard. He has taken the airframe, and hopefully more to come, and brought it up to BVM standards , installed most everything needed, made sure it worked correctly, and put it in a box for the customer , which the customer can pull out of the box knowing his stuff will be right. The thousands you speak of is not all for the service and support. The major difference in whats in the Cougar. JL sells the Couger, BVM will sell the Cougar, and if like the F16, it will have all the required items needed except powerplant and Tx/Rx. Having everything else done and it all working correctly out of the box. APNP as opposed to a bare airframe

Last edited by Jetdktr; 07-29-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

When I go to an event I can spend a few grand on hotel gas and food depending on how long the event is. I spend a week at Kentucky every year for that event. So after taking a week off work and spending all that money I had a problem with a small part on the landing gear that aligns the main wheel on the F16. BVM had it at the event and I could continue to fly. If it was just a JL F16 I would have wasted 26 hours of driving a week of work and a whole lot of money. So its a little more then the CG. Also when I need a part I can have it on order the same day with a phone call or text.

Originally Posted by schroedm
Wow OK. Thanks Dean.

I really just wondered what people were so happy to pay thousands for over and above the European asking price. Especially for a model that has been selling, flying and being assembled for years without any real issues.

Don't lose those damn manuals then, they're worth a LOT
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Starrjet2

Jetdktr you need to contact the people who own the airplane bought before BVM took the exclusive deal the plane was sold plug an play by jetlegend way before BVM ,he did not change it or bring it up to his standard in any way it was totally done by JL with lights gear doors ,landing gear servos wiring fuel tanks except for bvm air trap at the factory and always has been,I admire your loyalty to BV but you believe the guff about a liaison with premier aircraft of china and overseen by his man in China and all that smoke and mirrors you are being blinded ,why couldn't, he tell you all the truth and say up front that he had bought the exclusive right to sell Jet legends airplane in the US ,,,,why would he try to deceive his loyal buyers? Maybe. So that you wouldn't,t know where it came from or the original price ?
There will be no further comment from me. MK

Last edited by Starrjet2; 07-29-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM
smaze17

Malcolm Kay Models.
Hijacked you say? You make it sound like there was a hostle takeover or something. Did not JL agree to this merger? Also, how would you respond to this comment:

"I have never seen or met a JL rep at any event I have been to". I would venture to say that having complete support from BVM is by far worth the extra money involved with the purchase price. It seems like you're grossly underestimating the value of outstanding customer service.

Last edited by smaze17; 07-29-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smaze17
You make it sound like there was a hostel takeover or something.
He didn't say anything about seizing a cheap hotel.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
smaze17

Originally Posted by Kevin_W
He didn't say anything about seizing a cheap hotel.
Lol....error corrected
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Jetdktr

Originally Posted by Starrjet2
Jetdktr you need to contact the people who own the airplane bought before BVM took the exclusive deal the plane was sold plug an play by jetlegend way before BVM ,he did not change it or bring it up to his standard in any way it was totally done by JL with lights gear doors ,landing gear servos wiring fuel tanks except for bvm air trap at the factory and always has been,I admire your loyalty to BV but you believe the guff about a liaison with premier aircraft of china and overseen by his man in China and all that smoke and mirrors you are being blinded ,why couldn't, he tell you all the truth and say up front that he had bought the exclusive right to sell Jet legends airplane in the US ,,,,why would he try to deceive his loyal buyers? Maybe. So that you wouldn't,t know where it came from or the original price ?
There will be no further comment from me. MK
You said it "his man in China". Obviously making sure it is up to "a" standard before BV sells it
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Malcolm Kay Models.
Sour Grapes much? It's called business. There's nothing stopping you from doing the exact same thing. BV is a sharp businessman for sure. He saw a market for a PNP airplane, and jumped on it.

On a different note.. Is there going to be a different nose available for the later models with the radar bump (I think it was radar anyway), or way to add that to the existing nose? A lot of popular schemes are from aircraft with the bump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.