Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

9th Annual New England Jet Rally Countdown

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

9th Annual New England Jet Rally Countdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Jeff Lynds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9th Annual New England Jet Rally Countdown

Hello Folks,

Let the New England Jet Rally countdown begin! Closing in on the 9th Annual New England Jet Rally Aug 15-17 at the Gardner Municipal Airport 499 Airport Rd, Gardner MA 01440

Looking forward to another great event.

Early set up Aug 14 after 4 pm, please contact me if you plan on coming in overnight

If you are interested in tent rental please contact Atlantic Tent Rental directly 978-534-2322

Flying starts Friday Aug 15, 9 am-4:30pm--no spectators, Saturday and Sunday Aug 16 & 17 flying hours are 8:30 am-4:30pm

The usual pot luck happy hour is planned for Friday night, bring a dish to share I'm sure it won't go to waste!
Saturday night will consist of taco and fajitas with the usual fixings $15 per person with entertainment provided by Travis Winkley who is a local musician I am bringing up from CT that I know all will enjoy.

Overnight hanger storage will be available as well as transportation to and from the hanger if you so choose. Karen's nephew will be there all weekend with his 4 wheeler and a trailer

Also planning on a little extra special foamie flying on Saturday night, have something special planned---might want to bring your beater.......

See you soon
Jeff Lynds
Old 08-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Looking forward too it, Ill be up on the 14th. Does the $15 per head apply to Dom and Brian?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Jeff Lynds

Sounds good, may have to pro rate for dinner for Dom and Bri or at least Dom as there are no spuds on the menu
Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

See you Friday night Jeff.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately I'll only be able to make it on Saturday but I'm definitely looking forward to it..
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Jeff,
Barb and I plan to ETA around noonish Friday. Hope this weather clears for the weekend as we're thinking of building an ark here in CNY.
Looking forward to seeing, and flying, with all the N. England jet jocks.
PS: My beater jet got beaten in a cornfield last weekend-too low and slow on a long final.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are pre-cooking Dom's and Brian's burrito's.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	burrito.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2022094  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Meesh

You're a Bad Man Bob! LOL!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BalsaBob
They are pre-cooking Dom's and Brian's burrito's.

Bob
Just an appetizer!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 PM
FILE IFR

It looks like we'll have good weather for this weekend.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Whaaaaaat........no salsa !!!! And there better be another one... No way I am sharing that with anybody!
BTW anybody seen this guy. He escaped from Clark's Trading post..........last seen on his bicycle at Highland Jets!!!!! Be careful and call authorities if found!!!! This is one smart bear......He found a way to power his bicycle with an electric screwdriver!!!!!!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2022426  

Last edited by bigbri; 08-14-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:03 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics or video from Gardner?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 AM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Morning ladies, and gents!
By now the NEJ event has passed, and I hope that all has gone well for everyone.
Karen and I would have loved to be present, but we're still in transition state here in the new home.
Looks as though the weather held out for your guys, looking forward to the pictures' .
Take care everyone,
Frank
Old 08-18-2014, 04:26 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Mike,
The 9th Annual NEJR was a success despite the high cross winds that grounded many pilots. They had 33 pilots from all over N. England plus several NYers. Reggie Showers represented PA and self-cooled himself with ice water for the ALS awareness benefit. Besides the usual suspects, the CARF Team flew a wide variety of jets including 3D formation routines. a turbine powered sailplane and a really huge L-39. Other than a few massaged landing gears, there were no major mishaps at the time of my departure at Sunday noon. Some of the highlights included hill climbing demos of Brian and Dom who were joined by Major Bob, all flying BVM Bob Cats. We had live entertainment, guitar playing/ singing Travis to accompany the Mexi dinner and Margarita washdowns on Sat evening. The foamies were brought out with a balloon busting task, tackled by a half-dozen models including one with lights. I believe Brian nailed 2 balloons including one tethered at a 3' height, all in semi-darkness. Awards were distributed at the Sunday morning Pilot's Meeting, our aspiring jet pilot Jason won a Starfire II donated by YAC. A mini F-86 EDF, donated by Great Plains, was given to Dom in an effort to get him to fly scale jets. Dom then gave the Sabre to a young spectator who marvelled at our jets and arrived daily as soon as the gates opened. Many photos and videos were taken and should be published in Contrails or viewed on youtube. In closing it should be noted that the entire event was hosted by 3 individuals (and their partners) who worked tiredlessly for many days/weeks to ensure the success of the NEJR. Kudos to Jeff (and Karen) Mike (and Sue) and Bob D. Many thanks again for a job well done.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Jetkopter

Frank, big problems this year. Brian, aka trouble maker Lloyd is the guilty party. Jeff had a deal for a camera guy to shoot the event this year. All the guy wanted was some home made cookies. Janet made a huge batch of cookies and Brian was supposed to deliver them to the event.. Janet makes a hell of a good cookie, but her choice of a delivery boy was not so good. Brian promised not to eat the cookies, but from the time he kissed her good bye and she walked out the door and went to put the key in the car six cookies evaporated from the plate. These cookies where not to be touched until Friday night but it aint looking to good for them as they now have the life expectancy of a fruit fly! Its only an hour from Brian's to the field how many more could he possibly eat. So Brian arrives Friday morning at he field and I go over to say hello to him. When I walked up to him and I noticed that he was covered in this gritty dust. Kind of like a pork chop with bread crumbs on it. We exchange our hellos and such and I don't bring up the subject of why he looks like he was dremeling balsa on the ride in the car. As I move on down the tent line over my shoulder I see Brian now talking to Dom and they both got a look of guilt and concern on there faces. To make a long story short, Brain got of phone call from Janet saying that she was coming to the event early. Brian is now in panic mode and is consulting Dom on how to explain what happen to the cookies. Brian and Dom come up with the idea to pay off Johnny P. to swear to Janet that he ate them. Well if you look at John you know he never ate more than one cookie at a time in his whole life. When Janet sent the plate over the cookies where stacked about six rows high on the plate. Brain being the Wylie E. Coyote super genius that he is goes and appropriates Dom's store bought bag of chips ahoy cookies and places them under the remains of Janets home made cookies. Well you know the only person that trick fooled was Brian. Im hoping that Janet makes more because I would like to see some pics of the event myself, but Im not holding my breath after she told me (and this is all true by the way) she has to take all the snacks with her into the bathroom when she showers because she hears Brian sprinting through the house searching for her snack hiding spots and that guy has a nose like a blood hound that has not been fed in a week. Despite the great Cookie Conspiracy we all had a great time at New England and Jeff and Karen and crew did a great Job. Hope to see you there next year.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Don,
Love your blow by blow of the Gardner Cookie Caper!

Last year Brian gave me a sob story on how the Popcorn Ball Company went out of business. Now I get the picture. The popcorn balls never made it from Boston to Hamburg!

Jim
Farview RC Flyers
Hamburg, PA
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Square Nozzle

Yes it was a great weekend. I surely didn't enjoy the cross wind. I braved the conditions and got in one flight with my Reaction X. Having had a great time flying and landing her at Highland Jets my confidence was up but I soon found out that Brian has an in with mother nature. I wiped the gear on landing. Try again in Maine. All joking aside, as all attendees will agree, the après fly activities were great and just being there with good friends made it a class A weekend.

Janet, I swear to you I didn't eat those cookies. Mother Nature, are you listening?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Meesh

Jim,

You should come to one of the up East events with us. We really do have a lot of Fun!

To Jeff and Karen, Mike and Sue, Bob and his daughter and Karen's nephew (for the shuttle service between the hangar and the field), thank you all for your efforts! we really appreciate ALL of you.

"Fireman Bob"
Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
racer8297

Hi Bob,

I wish I could! Erik and I were all set to come to First in Flight but illness in my family caused me to cancel. We had paid for the tent and had hotel rooms all set. Last weekend was the Giant Scale meet at Farview. I do plan to make a few trips next season and hope to see you at venues other than our own!

Jim
Farview RC Flyers
Hamburg, PA
Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Jetkopter

Jim, there is no friggin way that popcorn ball company went out of business unless the place burnt to the ground. The two BIGGEST customers live right by it!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM
racer8297

I know Don! But maybe they closed the doors because Brian and Dom's business made the popcorn ball company gajillionaires and the retired and moved to the Caribbean, leaving thousands of people without jobs and Brian and Dom with no more popcorn balls. Whadaya think???

Jim
Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Jetkopter

Jim,I am not buying it because those two where stock holders !!! I would go with A) Brian ate them because Dom fell asleep on the ride down or B) Dom and Brian both ate them and fabricated the went out of business story. Mike Lesher being the good amish detective that he his rang me up before and said " If you watch Brian when he walks to the flight line the palm of his hand is all that's holding the transmitter. So I said you mean like its velcroed to him or something? Mike said its not Velcro its the sticky stuff from the popcorn balls. So I guess we got a good idea now of what really happened. There Bears from Boston will be down in October so you may want to let the kitchen know!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM
bigbri

Hello..my name is is Brian and I have an addiction. Cookies of any kind... And popcorn balls....you can imagine my Suprise when Janet entrusted me with a plate of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies to bring for "happy hour" at the Jet event in Gardner. I really don't recall what happened. All I know is by late afternoon most of the cookies were missing by afternoon and John P has chocolate chip cookie like odor on his breath. In a panic I confiscated Doms chip a Hoy cookies and tried to mitigate the damage. Our plan was foiled by Karen! Do t fear folks. Dom and I are on a mission to find the guilty party!!! Updates to follow!
As far as the missing popcornball debacle of 2013 a simple search on the internet will reveal the terrible tragedy that befell the popcorn ball industry that year. My heart goes out to their families!
here is the picture of Karen when she discovered the cookie caper

Views:	148
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2023484  
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
bigbri

On to better things. The cross wind was constant but didn't keep the flight line too empty. Flying was constant. Always a plane or 4 in the air. Top Gun trophy went to Dominic M and it was well deserved! How he found time go fly while helping me with the cookie caper is a mystery! The event was fantastic as always. And the evening balloon bust was a great addition to an already great event.
it must be noted that Dominic M with the TG trophy was awarded his first scale jet! It was short lived....lucky I got a photo!!! Being the gentleman that he is he donated it to a young spectator! Then to complete the generous act Ray Labonte of Ray and Robbins hobby shop I'm Maine then offered the young man the much needed TX to complete the deal! Hats off to both these guys!

although not all was good Dominic had to be impounded for non-cookie related incidents..

Views:	192
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2023495  

Last edited by bigbri; 08-18-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM
bigbri

Here is Dominic with the young man who was recipient of his generosity...... Yet the night before event managers found it necessary to temporarily impound him.......

Views:	123
Size:	908.1 KB
ID:	2023496   Click image for larger version

Views:	189
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2023497  

Last edited by bigbri; 08-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.