Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

xicoy FADEC with P-60 Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

xicoy FADEC with P-60 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Guys.. Thanks!

and John....SCREW the neighbors!! I'm programming a turbine LOL
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Vettster

Testing has been put on hold! The neighbors just came home
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
Testing has been put on hold! The neighbors just came home

This is what you need a nice sound proof cabinet like mine with remote monitoring. Difficult to justify for just one engine though!

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1610 small.jpg
Views:	1701
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	2027895  
Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Vettster

HA! Thats great John!

Ok... one more hill concurred and another hill behind it. But Im allllll most there. So I lowered the Speed Stop to 40,000. I could see the rpm's drop just below 45,000(previous setting) for a second and that was enough to kill it. Now she has leveled off and does not quit anymore. The next hill to climb is the Throttle Down. When I lower the throttle stick... the rpms remain high for longer than I would like, and then they gently start to come down. If this were in the air.. the plane would be another 3klm away before loosing speed. Is this now the time to lower the Deceleration delay from 10 to perhaps 5 ?

Thanks again guys for the help.

BTW.. this little sucker is LOUD!!!!

Last edited by Vettster; 09-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Felix Barrao

Just saw the thread.

I have modified 2 JC P-60 and 2 JC P-120 for two guys of my club with xicoy fadec, and all of them run perfect.
For both P-60 I used one hall sensor from xicoy with the JC magnet, ad used the same egt sensor, from jetcat, ( you have to pic up the signal from the external conectors of the sensor, desconected from the electronic JC board.
For the P-120, in one of them I used the optical sensor from jetcat, ( and for this I had to order a special fadec from gaspar, ( two pulses rpm)), For this, you have to modify a little the electronic board, ( invert the protection diode, and the wires of the electric motor), and so, for the second one, I used the easy way, and I installed a magnet inside the compresor nut, and used a sensor hall from Xicoy and a standard fadec.
One problem that I had with the four turbines, is that i you route the starter motor wires using the electronic board, you will have trouble with the magnetic sensor in the starting process, making it cahotic. The better way is to make a hole on the front cover of the electric motor, and roue the wires from here.
All this engines start and run perfect, if you need the parameters, le me know. I think that I have pictures too.

Here is a starting of the modified P-120 with the optical sensor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELZy...AnizxsJrreIRMg

Edit: ust found a picture of one modified P-60
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jc P60.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	2028090  

Last edited by Felix Barrao; 09-01-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Add found picture
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HA! Thats great John!

Ok... one more hill concurred and another hill behind it. But Im allllll most there. So I lowered the Speed Stop to 40,000. I could see the rpm's drop just below 45,000(previous setting) for a second and that was enough to kill it. Now she has leveled off and does not quit anymore. The next hill to climb is the Throttle Down. When I lower the throttle stick... the rpms remain high for longer than I would like, and then they gently start to come down. If this were in the air.. the plane would be another 3klm away before loosing speed. Is this now the time to lower the Deceleration delay from 10 to perhaps 5 ?

Thanks again guys for the help.

BTW.. this little sucker is LOUD!!!!

This is also an effect of the learning process of the ECU. You just have to run it and tear your neighbors ears
You should be able to lower the deceleration delay as much as you want, as long as the engine can hold the flame while spooling down. Don't exaggerate or you'll end up flaming out on a power down dive in flight!
If you use diesel you'll have some tell-tale signs when the deceleration is too quick, that is, white smoke puffs. My kingtech was doing that and eventually it flamed out during a steep spooldown on the ground. Raising the deceleration delay by 2 points made it rock solid
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Vettster

OK Thanks mauryr. I'll run her up as you suggest.

Actually the neighbors are all really good people. Many have come over to see whats going on over the years, and all are fascinated. But! I think its ok so long as I dont continually run the engine.. the last few days is the most noise ive ever made and I dont want to push their patients Respect thy neighbor
Old 09-02-2014, 09:20 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, at first they're always fascinated, then they go rage

I was once asked it "it could fly".
Yes, it was mounted on a bench...
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by Felix Barrao
Just saw the thread.

I have modified 2 JC P-60 and 2 JC P-120 for two guys of my club with xicoy fadec, and all of them run perfect.
For both P-60 I used one hall sensor from xicoy with the JC magnet, ad used the same egt sensor, from jetcat, ( you have to pic up the signal from the external conectors of the sensor, desconected from the electronic JC board.
For the P-120, in one of them I used the optical sensor from jetcat, ( and for this I had to order a special fadec from gaspar, ( two pulses rpm)), For this, you have to modify a little the electronic board, ( invert the protection diode, and the wires of the electric motor), and so, for the second one, I used the easy way, and I installed a magnet inside the compresor nut, and used a sensor hall from Xicoy and a standard fadec.
One problem that I had with the four turbines, is that i you route the starter motor wires using the electronic board, you will have trouble with the magnetic sensor in the starting process, making it cahotic. The better way is to make a hole on the front cover of the electric motor, and roue the wires from here.
All this engines start and run perfect, if you need the parameters, le me know. I think that I have pictures too.

Here is a starting of the modified P-120 with the optical sensor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELZy...AnizxsJrreIRMg

Edit: ust found a picture of one modified P-60
Hi Felix... YES I would like very much to know what settings you are using. Thanks for posting your experiences.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by mauryr
Yeah, at first they're always fascinated, then they go rage

I was once asked it "it could fly".
Yes, it was mounted on a bench...
LOL.. To funny
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Felix Barrao

Wich fadec version do you use? If you have the cable to connect to the computer, I can send to you the file. If not, I will list the parameters.

Félix
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Vettster

List the Parameters Please... I dont play well with computers
Old 09-06-2014, 12:20 PM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vetsser

Fallowing in silence and with interest. A friend has a crashed JC120 with out pump and ecu and probaly can get it and do same.

Yoe never mention if at the end the xicoy fadec measures a single pulse or double pulse, when intalling xicoy hall sensor.

thanks,

Juan
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Vettster

The xicoy hall sensor works without adjusting anything. Just mount it to the engine and plug it in. Reads the RPMs the way its supposed to. I didnt even raise it up to the location that JC has theirs mount.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Felix Barrao

This is my setting: ( In red color, at the right side of your settings).

START Menu

Max RPM 165,000 165.000
Min 50,00 55.000
Pump start auto-3 auto+0
Start Ramp 8 7
plug v 2.4
ok if gas ignite.
gas 100% 100%
Low voltage cut off 6.v 6V
Start power at ignition 68 35
Ignition max rpm 6000 5000
min.....................6000 2000
preheat 2 seconds 2
gas off 45,000 (I dont use a gas solenoid. I feed direct from bottle) 40.000
starter at fuel ramp 96 35
RPM 100% starter power.. 22,000 rpm 28.000
RPM OFF Starter 27,000 35.000
reconnect 25,000 30.000

RUN Menu

Max temp 800c 800
Start min temp 100c 100
Stop Speed rpm 40,000 38.000 ( but 40.00 is ok)
pump limit 812 ( I prefer 1020 and don´t use it, but 812 is ok)
accel delay 009 I had to raise it to 30, and acceleration was very fast
decel delay 010 35, you will have to play with accel and decel delays when you test it
stability delay 096 60

There are 5 more parameters that afect to the ramp point, and have no acces from the main menu. ( that change the ramp value depending with the rpm in three diferent points . If you see that the turbine start very fast or with flames, you will have to change them too. The only way is from the advance menu, ( start the fadec, and BEFORE the start message disapear, press data down and menu down. You will enter to a menu when sows the parameter and the value. )

Chenge as follows:
Parameter 026 Value 038
Parameter 027 Value 045
Parameter 028 Value 001
Parameter 029 Value 000
Parameter 030 Value 000

Keep us informed.

Félix
Old 09-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Vettster

Wow Felix... Your numbers vary much from my settings. Given that you have done 2 P-60's and they run.. I will have to give your settings a try.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post them here.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Vettster

Hi Felix. I have set your parameters and mounted the engine back on the test stand. But I cant seem to access the RAMP Parameters. I have tried several times to enter by pressing the Down Arrow and the Negative symbol just as its turned on.. but it just takes me to the main menu?

Any thoughts? This is the Au-108k ecu if that matters..

Thanks
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Felix Barrao

Sometimes is not easy. First data down, after menu down. I use to repeat the procedure very fast three or four times in the starting sequence, it works for me.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Vettster

Thanks Felix.. That works. First the Negative symbol and the down arrow. Will be testing very soon, and then report back
Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Vettster

Ok guys... What gives now?? I tried to start it with Felix's settings but the starter just kept pulsing on and off. So I went back to me original settings and now Im getting this.. The RPMs desplay 65000 right from the get go and then they drop, but then I get the starter overload warning. Check out the video. The battery is fully charged. If I spin the compressor by hand...the rpms read correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVqNkd2DhBs&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Vettster; 09-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Felix Barrao

This is the gas ignite sequence, I understand that the gas didn´t ignite isnt´it? If this doesn´t happends, you have no start. Before you had a continous rpm, but this is not the way to go with a xicoy fadec and gas start. Check.

Before you had the rpm steady for the ignition phase, now ypu have a pulse between 5000 and 2000. All xicoy fadecs works like that in the starting.

Try to ignite the gas, and yu will have a steady start with the parameters that I show, belive me..

Félix
Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Felix Barrao

Be sure that you route the starter wires by the front side of the starter, ( not internally, nead the rpm sensor) this strange reading of the rpm are produced by the interference of the glow plug.

And the overload is because you have a very high start power at ignition

Start power at ignition 68 35

Félix

Last edited by Felix Barrao; 09-09-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Vettster

Ok Felix.. But it started several times before with my settings. But yes I will move the started motor wires to the front.

Do you think there could be a problem with the Red glow wire as I have cut and soldered it to make it shorter.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by Felix Barrao
This is the gas ignite sequence, I understand that the gas didn´t ignite isnt´it? If this doesn´t happends, you have no start. Before you had a continous rpm, but this is not the way to go with a xicoy fadec and gas start. Check.

Before you had the rpm steady for the ignition phase, now ypu have a pulse between 5000 and 2000. All xicoy fadecs works like that in the starting.

Try to ignite the gas, and yu will have a steady start with the parameters that I show, belive me..

Félix
ok Felix... I'll try them again. Wasnt aware that they pulsed like that. I never had the gas ignition problem. Though it didnt seem to ignite on your settings..
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Jgwright

Ok guys... What gives now?? I tried to start it with Felix's settings but the starter just kept pulsing on and off. So I went back to me original settings and now Im getting this.. The RPMs desplay 65000 right from the get go and then they drop, but then I get the starter overload warning. Check out the video. The battery is fully charged. If I spin the compressor by hand...the rpms read correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVqNkd2DhBs&feature=youtu.be

Felix is correct. You also need to twist the glow wires together this usually stops it.

john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.