Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

partal refund on used turbine?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

partal refund on used turbine?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default partal refund on used turbine?

Hey quys I want to ask a quick question. If you bough a slightly used turbine from this site that said it only had around 5 hours since last service. The add showed the turbine SN as part of the selling point because it has a larger SN and it was able to be upgraded to faster acceleration and more thrust 25-to a new 30ish according to the turbines web site

So I sent the motor in and it turns out to be something up with this particular motor, it has an older small shaft set up vs what the SN shows the motor should have. So it cant be bumped up in thrust as I thought when I got it.

If I would of known that at the later time the thrust could not be bump up I would not gotten the motor

Am I wrong for felling a little burned by the seller?

I wont post names as the question don't need to go there
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd want all my money back.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:59 PM
turbinebuilder
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Partial refund? how about full refund.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Did you ask the seller if it was in fact able to be upgraded to the higher thrust setting? If he said that it could be and now you find out it cant, then id say a full refund would be in order. If he said he wasnt sure or No, then I wouldnt expect anything as you took that risk on your own If its a manufacturer that is still doing business, it would of been prudent to have them inspect it prior as part of the agreement to verify it is what the seller said it was. I say that only because i purchased a "zero time from overhaul" turbine, but a year later when i finally got its airframe completed, the turbine was rubbing when it was at temp and it had some combustion chamber issues...
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by invertmast
Did you ask the seller if it was in fact able to be upgraded to the higher thrust setting? If he said that it could be and now you find out it cant, then id say a full refund would be in order. If he said he wasnt sure or No, then I wouldnt expect anything as you took that risk on your own If its a manufacturer that is still doing business, it would of been prudent to have them inspect it prior as part of the agreement to verify it is what the seller said it was. I say that only because i purchased a "zero time from overhaul" turbine, but a year later when i finally got its airframe completed, the turbine was rubbing when it was at temp and it had some combustion chamber issues...
His listing showed the 5 hour rebuild paper work with its SN. The turbine co list on there web site any turbine with a SN larger than XXXX can be upgraded.

I told him of my intense in text.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
His listing showed the 5 hour rebuild paper work with its SN. The turbine co list on there web site any turbine with a SN larger than XXXX can be upgraded.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.

You got the serial number from the repair paperwork and checked the company's website to see if it can be upgraded to higher thrust and according to them it can. Then you told the seller of what your plan was. So if I am correct in interpreting the facts..it does not sound like the seller lied or defrauded you in anyway. Unless he knew the information about the shaft how can you hold him responsible?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does not sound like the seller defrauded you in anyway. You made the assumption that the turbine manufacturer's web info was correct, not him.

Mike
Old 08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
invertmast

Then it sounds like a problem the turbine manufacturer needs to address, not the seller of the turbine.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by invertmast
Then it sounds like a problem the turbine manufacturer needs to address, not the seller of the turbine.
I thought about being more upset at the manufacturer but as I did not buy it from them who am I

I guess part of me feels like he knew and didn't say anything
Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no way that I can see to prove the seller knew the manufactures info was wrong and unfortunately this kind of thing can happen when
purchasing used equipment.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 PM
invertmast

I thought about being more upset at the manufacturer but as I did not buy it from them who am I

I guess part of me feels like he knew and didn't say anything
The manufacturer is the one who made the statement that any serial number above a certain one is elligible for upgrade, not the seller. If that isnt the case then the manufacturer should be a little more diligent in clarifying or making certain that is the case 100% of the time before making such a direct statement. If it was me i would hold the manufacturer over the fire a little more for them to follow through in their statement or to at least come to some sort of agreement with you that allows what you want done to be done. After all, it was their official statement that led you to purchasing the turbine, not the sellers.

That said, having the manufacturer do a pre buy inspection probably could of eliminated the need for this entire thread. Granted you may of been out $100, but that could of been negotiated into the price.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just sold a turbine on RCU and sent it in to the manufacturer for a complete check up, which it passed with flying colors, and after which it went directly to the buyer......this way there'd be no basis for a claim that 'it doesn't work' or 'something's wrong with it'
Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

I would put it on the manufacturer. It is unlikely (but possible) that the seller had no idea about the shaft diameter.

Jim
Farview RC Flyers
Hamburg, PA
Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

...I guess part of me feels like he knew and didn't say anything
Why? Not everyone wants to rebuild something to make it "better". Some buy what they need in the first place.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah... I dont feel as though the seller was at fault. The manufacturer though.... Well they posted incorrect info. There's really nothing you can do.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
I just sold a turbine on RCU and sent it in to the manufacturer for a complete check up, which it passed with flying colors, and after which it went directly to the buyer......this way there'd be no basis for a claim that 'it doesn't work' or 'something's wrong with it'
Best advise here. When we are talking about this much money it makes sense to have the engine checked out before the sale. I have bought a couple 150cc twins this way. Seller and I split the cost.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had 20+ turbines. I've never even seen the shaft of any of my turbines. Even the ones I've crashed and burned.

I doubt the seller could've known about the shaft. Really.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

All this because you think you will be happier by presumably hovering a rookie hotting up a turbine?

Forgive me if i am saying it straight.

Now back to watching cosmos in netflix.. what a great tv show!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

larger SN and it was able to be upgraded to faster acceleration and more thrust 25-to a new 30ish according to the turbines web site. So I sent the motor in and it turns out to be something up with this particular motor, it has an older small shaft set up vs what the SN shows the motor should have. So it cant be bumped up in thrust as I thought when I got it
Small shaft? sounds like a internal swap out during the last rebuild. Unless its one of those old 19 lbs thrust engine why a newer engine using a small shaft. Maybe I'm missing something

My Opinion
Old 08-19-2014, 12:02 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by erbroens
All this because you think you will be happier by presumably hovering a rookie hotting up a turbine?

Forgive me if i am saying it straight.

Now back to watching cosmos in netflix.. what a great tv show!

Lol. Thanks but I have moved on. I put a 20 pound P80 in the rookie and called it a day.

I just got a good deal on a skymaster F15. That is were I want to put this motor.

And as I fly off grass I was aiming for as close to 30 pounds
Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, glad about knowing this! About the F-15 there is also a catch.. with the standard bifurcated pipe, there is a eficiency loss wich is proportionally bigger as the turbine thrust is increased, so that extra 5 pounds will be barely noticed in this plane:

The good news is that 25 pounds of thrust in this airplane will be plenty to fly it safely on grass.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
This is what I do with every turbine I sell unless I haven't used it at all. That way you know it's FACTORY FRESH before selling it and all fingers point to the factory if anthing goes wrong.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this the P-120 in question

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=975912
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Wclays
Yes

I saw the repair bill. And being new to turbine I figured it was pretty much brand new with 5 hours

But its my fault for not being knowledged.

It is still at jetcat. Apparently this p120 only puts out 24 pounds.

Being new I didn't realize there has been such a evolution of jetcat p120.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

your expectations are way to high, is this your first turbine? sounds like it.... Champagne on a beer budget... not happening.

$1200 For a used turbine kero start jetcat is a good deal, so just take what you got and move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.