Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazingly Their website is still showing a Lewis Patton Hawk on it
Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Did you loose your skymaster A-10 yes or no?
My A-10 crashed because a single engine flameout, not because of a manufacturing or design issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Damo260

Originally Posted by dbsonic
Fundamentally the Skymasters are built responsibly and different. I've looked inside a couple sets of F-16 wings and they are built very nicely with vertical shear webbing the length of the tapered spar. Very nicely done. I can't see inside the stab but check it often for play and am happy with what I see. The vertical fin, there is a well known fix that works great and BVM issued an addendum as well. FEJs baked goods are not in the same class.
But Skymaster did not come up with the fix for the fin BVM did.

Damo
Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disco,

What will it take? No matter what people post, demonstrate or prove, it's still the same ol' tired refrain of "all manufacturers have problems." If you keep saying it, I guess that will make it true (in your own mind), but it just doesn't comport with the facts. They're not an 'out-of-the-box-ready airframe' so the real problem is 'users who don't know how to properly render them airworthy' or whatever?? Does FEJ agree with you on that, because I haven't seen them advertise that?

You mention SM crashes. You even state that they're "way more." I'd be interested to see some verifiable numbers on that. As someone else already stated, you can have a higher number of crashed with another maker just based on frequency of flight and the odds catching up. Are the SM crashes due to fatally flawed design or QC issues?

For me, the truth was obvious after my 3rd or 4th build, but the argument stopped completely when I saw Rav's X-rays. What will it take for you?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by Damo260

Damo
Who cares who came up with the fix? Skymaster planes got better from their partnership with BVM. Skymaster also listens to feedback. Trying to give feedback to FEJ is like talking to a dog with rabies.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:33 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank thank you for acting in the best interest of the jet community and for the safety of all those who attend. Well done!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM
hboost
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this only for the new Honeycone Jets? Does this include the older fiberglass versions with plywood formers etc....?
thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damo
At least they came up with a fix. FEJ never attempted to fix anything. They just continued to blame their customers for the structural failures.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Damo260

I do I almost lost my F- 16 because of it.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by dos007
Frank thank you for acting in the best interest of the jet community and for the safety of all those who attend. Well done!
My interpretation of Franks post is all FEJ jets and their successors.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
dubd

I do I almost lost my F- 16 because of it.
The fix has been available for years. Shame you were not aware of it. I did the same modification to my large SM F-86.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by dubd
The fix has been available for years. Shame you were not aware of it. I did the same modification to my large SM F-86.
I'm actually surprised that Skymaster hasn't emplimented a permanent fix to this problem. Back when I had mine there was a "mod" that completely fixed it 100%. If Skymaster hasn't fixed this then SHAME ON THEM for not doing so. The bottom line though is that generally, most if not all skymaster products are made very well. Comparing them to FEJ is simply rubbish.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
I'm actually surprised that Skymaster hasn't emplimented a permanent fix to this problem. Back when I had mine there was a "mod" that completely fixed it 100%. If Skymaster hasn't fixed this then SHAME ON THEM for not doing so. The bottom line though is that generally, most if not all skymaster products are made very well. Comparing them to FEJ is simply rubbish.
SM has changed their linkage system, but it's still internal. Likely good for people flying with 160 size engines. I think a lot of people would be upset if the plane came with an external linkage from the factory.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
AndyAndrews

SM has changed their linkage system, but it's still internal. Likely good for people flying with 160 size engines. I think a lot of people would be upset if the plane came with an external linkage from the factory.
"The Mod" was totally internal. SM could easily replicate it. And it was 100% rock solid.

Andy
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
dubd

"The Mod" was totally internal. SM could easily replicate it. And it was 100% rock solid.

Andy
There was a change since your F-16. I still opted for an external linkage.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM
AndyAndrews

There was a change since your F-16. I still opted for an external linkage.
It was a great mod. totaly hidden and rock solid. I still have the music wire insterts that I made for backups in case I lost one.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Damo260

At least they came up with a fix. FEJ never attempted to fix anything. They just continued to blame their customers for the structural failures.
I can't say FEJ has started fixing things up like with my 1/4 scale BAe Hawk it has the new elevator and ply formers in it not honey comb formers it a start thing aren't going to change over night I've read and seen all the losses. I hate seeing anyone crashes.

Damo
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM
dubd

I can't say FEJ has started fixing things up like with my 1/4 scale BAe Hawk it has the new elevator and ply formers in it not honey comb formers it a start thing aren't going to change over night I've read and seen all the losses. I hate seeing anyone crashes.

Damo
Too little, too late. RIP FEJ.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Damo260

Skymaster don't tell you that you have to any modification to it. Even with new setup Skymaster have for the F-16 in due time I can see it being a problem.

Damo
Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM
dubd

Skymaster don't tell you that you have to any modification to it. Even with new setup Skymaster have for the F-16 in due time I can see it being a problem.

Damo
Do you know of someone who had the updated stab linkage break when using a 180 or smaller engine? You keep harping on small issues with SM. Fact of the matter is that jet modelers accept a fair degree of modifications. The problems with FEJ are above that tolerance.

Last edited by dubd; 08-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM
Damo260

Do you know of someone who had the updated stab linkage break when using a 180 or smaller engine? You keep harping on small issues with SM. Fact of the matter is that jet modelers accept a fair degree of modifications. The problems with FEJ are above that tolerance.
No not at the moment but give it time. But this is the point I'm trying to make every company are have problems with there kits doesn't mater how big or small. So if a jet crash at this event you going to band to. Because you had done it FEJ ???????

Damo
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM
dubd

Damo, No one has ever disputed your point about every company having problems. That statement is obvious and too simple as there are too many variables to lump all of your examples into a single category. The cause of each crash is different. It's the rate of failure and the response and accountability of the company that will factor in on whether the jet community has had enough. Until now only one company has earned that top spot.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
AndyAndrews

No not at the moment but give it time. But this is the point I'm trying to make every company are have problems with there kits doesn't mater how big or small. So if a jet crash at this event you going to band to. Because you had done it FEJ ???????

Damo
Damo, we have given them time. Skymaster has been making jets way longer than FEJ. They have only improved their products over the years verses FEJ getting worse. Skymaster's issues to date haven't risen to the level that FEJ's have. FEJ's problems are exponentially worse justifying this action. If Skymaster ever does get to the same level of unsafe manufacturing, design flaws and retched customer service, then I can assure you I will be right there hammering them to. This has nothing to do with one brand verses another. This has everything to do with attempting to make our hobby as safe as possible.

Give yourself a reality check bud. Do you actually think for a second, that the owner of one of the world's largest and most prestegious jet events would take this action if the issues weren't valid or didn't merit it?

After what happened to Lewis, I wouldn't be surprised if KY Jets ends up doing the same thing. And I wouldn't blame him!

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 08-25-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:09 PM
AndyAndrews

I just wrote a long letter to AMA and sent it to all of their officers. It's time for AMA to ban FEJ by name just like they reserve the right to do on turbine manufacturers if those are proven to be unsafe. Hopefully thay will respond in kind.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if other "major" jet rally CD's will follow Frank's lead? Heck, forget "major"...how about CD's at any jet rally?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.