Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ture that all of the jets need to pass a preflight inspection?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One already has. Best of the West:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...st-2014-a.html
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by drdoom
Is it ture that all of the jets need to pass a preflight inspection?
Do you mean for FEJ jets alone or for all? I don't know about all but I do know preflight on a FEJ would be fruitless becasue you can't do a preflight on the interior of a wing.

JWM does preflight inspections on all jets flown. And they check everything including turbine mounts, pipes, throws, gear etc.

All Jets?

Last edited by drdoom; 08-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 PM
vquick
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What they need to banned is all those pilots they don't have a clue of how a jet should be build and also those who they should be flying a trainer but they are loaded with money and they fly jets
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Originally Posted by FTiano
The unacceptable number of airframe failures has urged us to make the decision to ban any Fly Eagle Jet product from flying at Florida Jets, effective immediately. If some company has taken over the manufacturing of FEJ products, those models are subject to being banned as well. I imagine this will cause some grief for a few people and for that I apologize, but it is in the interest of the safety of thousands of spectators, and other pilots, that encouraged this announcement. Hopefully this is reaching any effected pilots in plenty of time to change their travel arrangements or which jet they were considering to bring. Thank you, FT
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Airplanes400

Originally Posted by ravill
It's a sad day to see anything get "banned" but, boy have FEJ dug their own grave.

R.I.P. (P = pieces!)
RIPieces ... That's hysterical !!! Wish I'd thought of writing that.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Maybe an opinion from a non jet guy. I have some interest in this simply because I am a composites tech by trade and yes some of the pictures I have seen posted screams loudly to me that they do not have a good understanding of structural composites.

That being said, I too applaud FT for taking this step. Sure other jet manufacturers may have their issues however the FEJ issues have been much more publicized. That in its self is reason for concern in my book.

Having inspections or allowing Jets with " fixes " is a bad idea. For one, you can't inspect what you can't see. For two, slapping some CF on a part is not a fix. From what I have seen and I will just use some opened up stabs as an example. From what I saw when looking at those stab pictures is that the fundamental design was flawed. No way to fix. Anything added would simply move the stress riser to a different location that would become the failure point.

Either way IMO it's the amount of bad press FEJ has gotten in the past year or so that would give a ton of ammunition to a lawyer representing someone who was injured or lost a loved one.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
adocape1414

Thank you Frank Tiano
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cross_sunset-26.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	2025976  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Airplanes400

I'm sure FEJ would indemnify any of their customers who would be brought to trial if their FEJ jet caused an injury, death or property damage.

Although I wrote this sarcasm, I could never say this with a straight face before having to gasp half way through saying it ...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Airplanes400; 08-25-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jetpilot
And the major difference is when Skymaster or other manufacture crashes from a manufacture default, it is addressed and fixed, unlike FEJ who could give a sh*t less, your on your own marketing strategy/customer service.
Scott
Really I have read about 5 cases of my Carf Rookie 2 with wings exploding and I just got one 5 months ago and there has been no change
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
mikes68charger

My only concern when it comes to this band is when dose it stop?

Do we get to the point when we all will only be flying the same planes by the same companies?

American main marketing principal is sell a good product at a good price and you will make money, I have been reading all these FEJ crash posting but I cant believe all these people who keep buying FEJ jets only do so to save a little money vs Skymaster

I was looking for a f15 and got a quote from them just out of curiosity and it was only like 200 cheaper than a Skymaster so why do people by FEJ?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

I'm not a jet person but, if FEJ are so prone to breaking apart why do people continue to buy them with all the negativity towards them?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Really I have read about 5 cases of my Carf Rookie 2 with wings exploding and I just got one 5 months ago and there has been no change
Really? I haven't heard of these. They need to step up and fix the problem or face the same scrutiny as FEJ if this is the case. No company should be allowed to get away with obvious structural failure due to poor design or construction.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
mario tavarez14
My Feedback: (37)

Omg

Last edited by mario tavarez14; 08-25-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
I'm not a jet person but, if FEJ are so prone to breaking apart why do people continue to buy them with all the negativity towards them?
Good used car salesmanship and they paint pretty planes.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM
AndyAndrews

My only concern when it comes to this band is when dose it stop?

Do we get to the point when we all will only be flying the same planes by the same companies?

American main marketing principal is sell a good product at a good price and you will make money, I have been reading all these FEJ crash posting but I cant believe all these people who keep buying FEJ jets only do so to save a little money vs Skymaster

I was looking for a f15 and got a quote from them just out of curiosity and it was only like 200 cheaper than a Skymaster so why do people by FEJ?
It stops when companies stop offering ARF's that have been proven to be defective and dangerous. Any factory that does so should be held up to the same scrutiny as FEJ and if only a handfull of companies can provide this level of quality then so be it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 PM
adocape1414

Frank Tiano 12 of my guys cancel already for florida jet 2015 i wonder who will lose $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cross_sunset-26.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	2025987  
Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by adocape1414
Frank Tiano 12 of my guys cancel already for florida jet 2015 i wonder who will lose $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ here
Sometimes safety is more important than money. I doubt very seriously that a bunch of FEJ fanboys not going to Florida Jets will be missed.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you using a million year old design as an example? That plane came out when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I think a brontosaurus soloed on one. How many CARF Ultra Flashes, Hawks, Ultra Lightnings, Tucanos, and Eurosport failures do you hear about?

Last edited by dubd; 08-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM
tl671
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by adocape1414
Just because of this post, I will be going for the first time. To support a wise choice made by Mr. Tiano. To answer your question directly, with a little bad press, and the lack of free advertising that comes with having a companies products involved in such a show, hopefully it will be FEJ that finally loses enough money to realize something must change.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM
toolmaker7341

"Disco"Now I understand where your coming from as the plot thickens.I agree 100% with Frank

Discowings quote
I have 3 FEJ airframes, and there hawk is a great plane, but expect to spend another $400 in upgrades and about 5-10 hours doing mods to it. Once done its as good as skymaster, actually no it flies better than the skymaster. I don't know about the 1/6 f-18 or 1/7 F-15. But I have had the elevators rebuilt on the F-18, placed rudder servos inside the rudders, New plywood ribs installed in the wings, turbine mounts have been re-enforced and elevator mounts strengthened. Next would be to replace stock exhaust pipes with TAm, so overall I'll be in it for another $600.00 in parts and about 20 hours of additional building time. After this its as strong as anything else on the market.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Wonder if other "major" jet rally CD's will follow Frank's lead? Heck, forget "major"...how about CD's at any jet rally?
Sluggo,

One year ago, I went on record on this forum, banning all HC constructed FEJ jets at any event I CD'd. Admittedly, my event is not "major", but I remember the amount of nasty PM's I received, and funny enough, from some of the same people who this year are now applauding FT & Joe C's action. What a difference a year makes! Words that come to mind: Vindication, "Time will tell", "Better SAFE, than sorry"

Seriously, I am very glad to see FL Jets and BITW step up. Hopefully, other CD's across the country will take note. If CD's at "Major" events aren't willing to take the risk, why are you?

I know that there are some pilot builders with the expertise and skill to modify these jets enough that they "seem" airworthy, the problem though, is how does a CD manage or quantify that info. No one is saying you can't fly your FEJ, you just can't fly it at events where the risk of collateral damage is enhanced.

Definitely a step in the right direction!

David S
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Searles
Sluggo,
What a difference a year makes! Words that come to mind: Vindication, "Time will tell", "Better SAFE, than sorry"
Vindication indeed.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tl671
Just because of this post, I will be going for the first time. To support a wise choice made by Mr. Tiano. To answer your question directly, with a little bad press, and the lack of free advertising that comes with having a companies products involved in such a show, hopefully it will be FEJ that finally loses enough money to realize something must change.

+1
Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by dubd
Why are using a million year old design as an example? That plane came out when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I think a brontosaurus soloed on one. How many CARF Ultra Flashes, Hawks, Ultra Lightnings, Tucanos, and Eurosport failures do you hear about.
Maybe because im not a million years old. And that the are still selling them to newbies like me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.