Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BANNED: Fly Eagle Jets from Florida Jets

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
It stops when companies stop offering ARF's that have been proven to be defective and dangerous. Any factory that does so should be held up to the same scrutiny as FEJ and if only a handfull of companies can provide this level of quality then so be it.
While I agree FEJ sucks from what I read but its funny to me how the jet community fells its either the best of the best or nothing

While at the same time you got people acting the same way about FEJ as ESM war birds from Toy built models. Lets not even talk about Hobbyking

What im trying to get at is there a lot of companies out there that make what some feel that are unfit ARFs. But most know we need to work at them to be right.

Heck I cant think of a single ARF I have not had to do some modding to.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rt. 66 Just anounced an FEJ ban at their event. I applaud their decision toward the safety of this hobby.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
While I agree FEJ sucks from what I read but its funny to me how the jet community fells its either the best of the best or nothing

While at the same time you got people acting the same way about FEJ as ESM war birds from Toy built models. Lets not even talk about Hobbyking

What im trying to get at is there a lot of companies out there that make what some feel that are unfit ARFs. But most know we need to work at them to be right.

You don't have to be the best of the best to have an airworthy ARF. There are still many companies to choose from that all have reliable airframes for all different price points.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

For the 100000000000 time WE ALL KNOW, that ALL ARF JETS NEED WORK. Why are you still saying the obvious? FEJ planes are beyond needing work. They are fundamentally flawed. For the FEJ planes that have been made airworthy, you couldn't even say most of them were made by FEJ anymore. Then with all that, those planes have not been around long enough to know if all of the engineering, mods, and rain dances even work over the long run. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Last edited by dubd; 08-25-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by dubd
For the 100000000000 time WE ALL KNOW, that ALL ARF JETS NEED WORK. Why are you still saying the obvious? FEJ planes are beyond needing work. They are fundamentally flawed. For the FEJ planes that have been made airworthy, you couldn't even say most of them were made by FEJ anymore. Then with all that, those planes have not been around long enough to know of all of the engineering, mods, and rain dances even work over the long run. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Hey chill I get it.

I just worry about long term effects. Today FEJ , who tomorrow.

Last edited by mikes68charger; 08-25-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
I'm not a jet person but, if FEJ are so prone to breaking apart why do people continue to buy them with all the negativity towards them?
The same reason people keep buying Hobby King products and from some other vendors that have a bad name, They feel being able to get
a product no one else has and/or save a few bucks makes it worth the risk.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
dubd

Hey chill I get it.

I just worry about long term effects. Today FEJ , who tomorrow.
As someone who owned and lost a FEJ POS in a fireball, I'm not going to chill when someone tries to compare the work you need to do to a FEJ plane to another manufacturer. That attitude, especially when there is no experience to back it up, is exactly how FEJ managed to sell planes to unsuspecting people. The BS has gone on far enough. We're in an environment where the FAA wants to ban RC airplanes and you have short sighted and selfish people supporting FEJ planes being flown around spectators.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a difference in having to make minor "mods" to beef up equipment mounts or strengthen landing gear plates or correcting control linkage setups to eliminate flutter

AND

complete structural design deficiencies.

Fixing small sub structures is simple and something most any modeler in the jet community should be able to do easily. BUT its everything you Can not see that is the problem with some of the FEJ planes. Just because it looks ok, doesnt mean much. Maybe that glass or carbon reinforced bulkhead should have 6oz cloth in it, but they ran out and used 2oz instead.. Or they used one two layers of glass instead of four, now you have a major structural problem that you would never be able to determine just by looking at it.

The entire reason FEJ is under the knife like it is, is because of their lack of admitting fault and fixing their problems. Some humility in their operations a few years ago and we wouldnt be having all of this animosity between event CD's, customers (past and present) and FEJ the company. They have brought it on themselves and that includes Everyone who has continued to support such a horrible company after all of these problems were brought to light.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
I'm not a jet person but, if FEJ are so prone to breaking apart why do people continue to buy them with all the negativity towards them?
I'm not either but I can't figure out why jet people can't spell at grammar school level. Seriously.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 AM
jhicks112562

"affected"............not "effected"
Old 08-26-2014, 03:55 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Originally Posted by dubd
As someone who owned and lost a FEJ POS in a fireball, I'm not going to chill when someone tries to compare the work you need to do to a FEJ plane to another manufacturer. That attitude, especially when there is no experience to back it up, is exactly how FEJ managed to sell planes to unsuspecting people. The BS has gone on far enough. We're in an environment where the FAA wants to ban RC airplanes and you have short sighted and selfish people supporting FEJ planes being flown around spectators.
+1.
In my opinion this action is a responsible one. We all have too much invested in $ and pure enjoyment to jeopardize it. As many have said we are only one unfortunate incident away from losing the freedom we enjoy with our favorite hobby. No one is saying you can't own a FEJ model, and no one is saying that there aren't a few experienced people out there who can make them reliable and safe. What is being said by organizers of large events who not only have a lot of the line regarding costs, reputation, and public safety, is that they are willing to risk an avoidable incident at their event. These organizers should applauded for in my opinion they have not only their events but the whole jet community's best interest in mind, recognizing that an incident at their event would have a far reaching impact well beyond their event.
also while FEJ is being singled out here (with very good justification), I suspect (and hope!) it will send a strong message to other manufactures that they too should be making every effort to strive for reliability and safety to avoid the same fate.

Last edited by smchale; 08-26-2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 AM
toolmaker7341

I am to be our jet rally safety officer in 2015. I will push to ban FEJ and it's time for all those who bought FEJ's to park your ego and man-up to your mistake. They are dangerous. If you disagree I have a couple of Pinto's and Corvair's to sel you O I almost forgot I have this bridge in NY I have for sale.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a famous philosopher once said..."You can't polish a turd. you can rub it all day and at the end of the day you still have a POS".....They make some pretty planes, and their paint jobs look nice, I hate to hear about Lewis's plane, it was a beauty and he is a nice guy, but I would be a nervous wreck on the sticks of one of these things if I had it in the air with a bg crowd in the vicinity. Six years we have heard about these issues and even now a modified airframe comes apart. it would not surprise me to hear FEJ try to blame the demise of Lewis's Hawk on the modifications. It is sad that it had to come to this, but sometimes it takes a rock upside the head to get one's attention.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

It's not just the time-proven flaws with design (or lack thereof), but don't forget you're talking about a company that has shown itself to be completely without scruples again and again. These guys publish bald-face lies on the internet, shamelessly rig silly polls with fake votes, blame the buyer for crashes that they know were due to proven flaws. It's not just that their planes are unsafe. It's also that they know it and don't care so long as they get your money.

"Sorry, but we cannot be responsible for how you flew the jet."
"Sorry, but you should not have taken this to the public forum. Now we can't help you."
"Sorry you did not follow our advise on linkage."
"Sorry you did not make the modification we suggested."
"Sorry, but you modified the jet so we cannot be responsible."
"Sorry, but our experts reviewed the video and determined pilot error."
"Sorry we've had your money for 18months. Whatcha gonna do, Chinese New Year!"

Now I'm going to go entertain myself with the latest 'Wow, look at this great sports jet from FEJ' thread. It's like a vaudeville routine or a South Park episode with the 'golly, I didn't know what to expect, but I gotta admit, it exceeded my expectations!' BS. Then you get the bumps and updates, "no pics or videos, but I want to report that we put another spectacular flight on this weekend. I think these guys have turned over a new leaf!"

Seriously, that's how I entertained myself while I was in the hospital.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by smchale
+1.
In my opinion this action is a responsible one. We all have too much invested in $ and pure enjoyment to jeopardize it. As many have said we are only one unfortunate incident away from losing the freedom we enjoy with our favorite hobby. No one is saying you can't own a FEJ model, and no one is saying that there aren't a few experienced people out there who can make them reliable and safe. What is being said by organizers of large events who not only have a lot of the line regarding costs, reputation, and public safety, is that they are willing to risk an avoidable incident at their event. These organizers should applauded for in my opinion they have not only their events but the whole jet community's best interest in mind, recognizing that an incident at their event would have a far reaching impact well beyond their event.
also while FEJ is being singled out here (with very good justification), I suspect (and hope!) it will send a strong message to other manufactures that they too should be making every effort to strive for reliability and safety to avoid the same fate.

Don't get me wrong fellas I do agree, I just wanted to say be careful as I said when dose it stop

I read a lot of post about how some feel how unsafe Spectrum system are, so do we band them next? So then everyone is only flying Futaba radios

Then possibility next will be if you are not using JR servos your plane is a no go?

While I know we all fear crashes I don't think anyone would sink several k in a jet just to embarrass themselves, I really like how they do it overseas where you have to fly your plane the day beforehand to get certified
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 AM
jfetter

Originally Posted by DocYates
As a famous philosopher once said..."You can't polish a turd..."
Actually, you can polish a turd! "Mythbusters" 2009 season, great episode and definitely worth watching!

I believe this is actually part of the problem, because you can polish a turd (high-gloss finish, flashy graphics & slick marketing) which makes folks assume the rest of the product must be in-line with the finish. I am not surprised people still buy them as many still believe the fit and finish reflect the build and quality, which in this case is cosmetic only and stops at the skin...

Jack
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Don't get me wrong fellas I do agree, I just wanted to say be careful as I said when dose it stop

I read a lot of post about how some feel how unsafe Spectrum system are, so do we band them next? So then everyone is only flying Futaba radios

Then possibility next will be if you are not using JR servos your plane is a no go?

While I know we all fear crashes I don't think anyone would sink several k in a jet just to embarrass themselves, I really like how they do it overseas where you have to fly your plane the day beforehand to get certified
Yes, any manufacturer with a proven disregard for function or safety should be on an event no-fly list. If suddenly we had hundreds of examples of 8711 servos failing and JR blamed it on the weather or sabotage, then the situation would be the same... Banned.

Any responsible CD would do what David Searles started, and now followed by Frank Tiano and Joe Castelao. Think safety first, even if big sponsorship money is involved. Hopefully Lewis Patton will start changing his mind about supporting this POS product as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by DocYates
As a famous philosopher once said..."You can't polish a turd. you can rub it all day and at the end of the day you still have a POS".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

I read a lot of post about how some feel how unsafe Spectrum system are, so do we band them next?

DSM and DSM2 have been banned at many events, AT JOE NALL DSM was banned, many helicopter events will ground you unless you have DSMX or better.

But since most jet fliers have had an illegitimate child with JR they refuse to do anything about it.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

You disregard the remaining position. Yes, you can polish a turd, but in the end all you end up with a shiny looking POS. Try pawning it off on someone and the first thing they think is that it is still a turd. Too many people have been burned by FEJ in the past 6 years. I see their planes and thing "wow" they sure do look nice. Then I think about my cousin who married a "supermodel" who took him to the cleaners and stole his car, and I think..."nah, I don't need no part of that"...
Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM
jfetter

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
DSM and DSM2 have been banned at many events, AT JOE NALL DSM was banned, many helicopter events will ground you unless you have DSMX or better.

But since most jet fliers have had an illegitimate child with JR they refuse to do anything about it.
Do you have a link to Joe Nall banning DSM or other US events banning DSM and DSM2? I'm not arguing, I just never saw that and frankly am surprised to see it?

Jack
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by jfetter
Do you have a link to Joe Nall banning DSM or other US events banning DSM and DSM2? I'm not arguing, I just never saw that and frankly am surprised to see it?

Jack
Wow. I didn't know that
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 AM
jfetter

Wow. I didn't know that
Nothing I can see that confirms it either, Joe Nall 2014 says "2.4 only", it does not drill down to specific protocols. I'm starting to think the original post may have been a tad biased and premature ;-)

Jack
Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings

DSM/DSM2 was never banned outright from what i can remeber. It was changed to a 2.4ghz Only event though. There was talk of their being a over-saturated RF environment that caused some issues, which caused the evolution of DSMX
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, you can polish a turd... Take it down to 4000 wet, compound it out, McQuire's # 1, 2, & 9... It still won't pass the smell test.... The whole situation is really ashamed, they make one of the prettiest polished turd's out there Their finish and look is impressive. But, Like I always heard, If it won't run, chrome it !!! Maybe there should be an event.. " The Polished Turd Invitational " Hold it out in the desert somewhere where there is nothing out there. All participant's will fly from a caged covered fox-hole and the will be anti-aircraft guns on site in case they are needed. ( about a dozen 12ga. goose guns with # 4 and #6 shot should do it ) . No fire or medical equipment needed.... Food for thought

Danno

P.S. A.M Radio's welcome, 27mhz too. No gold sticker needed.

Last edited by rcjetsaok; 08-26-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: P.S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.