Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who goes to a jet event without a Fire Extingisher

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who goes to a jet event without a Fire Extingisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who goes to a jet event without a Fire Extingisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVM...D637E6D8323056

Rcpete
Old 08-26-2014, 03:48 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, that's a crazy video.

I learned to bring an ABC extinguisher along with my CO2 when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mgrJEMczg

I couldn't put the fire out with the CO2 and just watched good R/C equipment burn!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Pete that's real old and a some one told me the extinguisher was empty that was under the table . Our club has a guy assigned to the extinguishers and they are checked all the time. Sometimes people use them and don't tell anybody.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Along with my CO2 fire extinguisher, I also carry 3 of the pressurized 2.5 gallon water extinguishers. Come in handy for fuel spills also....even diesel on asphalt.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Justflying1

Hello Garry,
i thought I would point out that although water fire extinguishers mite be great to clean up any spilled fuel they should never be used to extinguish a liquid fuel fire. It will actually spread the fire and make it worse.
Ivan
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

I have bought 4 extinguishers in the past few months, 2 - CO2 and 2 halon, never thought i now need a ABC.
Gunrad, that video got my attention and woke up past menories.
Fire extinguishers have really gotten expensive, this past summer, $150 for a 5lb. CO2., about 9 seconds at 800 psi.
Do you lend out your extinguisher.
Rcpete
Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpete347
I have bought 4 extinguishers in the past few months, 2 - CO2 and 2 halon, never thought i now need a ABC.
Fire extinguishers have really gotten expensive, this past summer, $150 for a 5lb. CO2., about 9 seconds at 800 psi.
Rcpete
CO2 and halon are both good for fires before something (other than fuel ofcourse) has caught on fire. If wood or fiberglass has already started burning, I found that CO2 just can't put that kind of fire out.

I think an ABC is probably more useful than water even because it's easy to get to the site that is burning if you're hoofing it over.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that is a very old video...and I know some of the guys in it. It is also just the tail end of the original video. It's a real eye opener to watch the entire vid.

Beave
Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM
gunradd

Water is good for grass fires when a plane goes down in grass.

We learned from a fire at our club. We now have a Gator with 2 rakes 4 water extinguishers and regular fire extinguishers. We have to replace the Halon extinguishers at work in the helicopters once a year so I take the old ones for me
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Pete did you see the guy at Michigan Jets last month with the panther about burn the tail off of it on start up? He didn't have one there either. He had to use his shirt to put it out.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL That is my flying buddy who got me started on turbines

That is our regular flying feild. The extinguisher was empty

Since I started to fly turbines I donated 2 CO2 extinguisher for the club and we are also required to bring our own
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

I brought my new 5 # CO2 to Kentucky Jets, never to be seen again! I just bought another one, this time with my name on it!
i will never start my jets without one.......
Old 08-27-2014, 04:32 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Rcpete
Go to a local fire extinguisher service company I purchased a used 20# with fresh test and fill for $20.00
Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I was more aware this season at some jet rallies on how many people roll their jets up to the starting area with no extinguisher and then you have some who have the canopy and engine bay hatch on while they initiate the start! Very bad habits that will eventually cost you.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FEJ has just released their own line of fire extinguishers... Comes in a pretty painted bottle.. but the handle keeps breaking off
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by Vettster
FEJ has just released their own line of fire extinguishers... Comes in a pretty painted bottle.. but the handle keeps breaking off
LOL!!!! O my that one hurts... I love that one.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of joking but if you do not have an extinguisher at start up, you are violating the requirements of the turbine waiver.

Paul S
Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got my waiver this year, I went to the field when the turbine pilots were there so I could learn from them, once my plane was done they were right there to help, with inspection and then first flight, and help me with my first flight, and watch me until I was ready to be signed off, Did it on my first flight. From the beginning they taught me, You can not show up with a turbine aircraft and NOT have a fire-extinguisher, they taught me you had to have it on hand, needs to be full and in working condition, they taught me to actually have it in reach for startup. Also our field has a portable extinguisher full of water. I copy what the members I learned from do, I pull my jet out of the pits, and on the parallel taxiway, I have my extinguisher sitting right there, and also my blower for when the flight is done, I start and end my flight there. This is just the way I learned,, I would never take mine out with out the extinguisher.. here is a video on youtube of (what I read somewhere) a turbine pilot starting his up after fueling, and had a fire in the turbine which then burned his whole plane to ashes there was an extinguisher there but there are 5 men there, and no one had the frame of mind to pull it and use it because it is under a table,, had it been sitting by the jet, he may have been able to save something,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVMJBLy-UU

Last edited by raron455; 08-27-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by G4guy
I brought my new 5 # CO2 to Kentucky Jets, never to be seen again! I just bought another one, this time with my name on it!
i will never start my jets without one.......
Hey Ron, I think you need one of these

http://3gstore.com/product/4451_trak...e_tracker.html
Old 08-27-2014, 12:52 PM
gunradd

The video you posted is what Pete posted in POST #1 of this thread

Also the extinguisher was empty and that was covered in post #3 of this thread. Very glad people taught you the right way of doing things. We all have enough clubs trying to ban turbines because of the fire hazard and doing stupid things just adds fuel to the fire.

Originally Posted by raron455
I got my waiver this year, I went to the field when the turbine pilots were there so I could learn from them, once my plane was done they were right there to help, with inspection and then first flight, and help me with my first flight, and watch me until I was ready to be signed off, Did it on my first flight. From the beginning they taught me, You can not show up with a turbine aircraft and NOT have a fire-extinguisher, they taught me you had to have it on hand, needs to be full and in working condition, they taught me to actually have it in reach for startup. Also our field has a portable extinguisher full of water. I copy what the members I learned from do, I pull my jet out of the pits, and on the parallel taxiway, I have my extinguisher sitting right there, and also my blower for when the flight is done, I start and end my flight there. This is just the way I learned,, I would never take mine out with out the extinguisher.. here is a video on youtube of (what I read somewhere) a turbine pilot starting his up after fueling, and had a fire in the turbine which then burned his whole plane to ashes there was an extinguisher there but there are 5 men there, and no one had the frame of mind to pull it and use it because it is under a table,, had it been sitting by the jet, he may have been able to save something,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVMJBLy-UU
Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

doing stupid things just adds fuel to the fire.
Hey! ...that's a pun .. right?

John.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM
[email protected]

A idiot ?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
Go to a local fire extinguisher service company I purchased a used 20# with fresh test and fill for $20.00

Yep... the 20#-er's go cheap since they are big and heavy. I paid $45 for mine. But, I did score a new 10# Halotron for $65... so I grabbed it too.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 PM
[email protected]

I am not a jet guy , (not yet) but between the lipo's, gas and nitro one would be crazy not to pack a fire extinguisher ,in with all the other junk to support this hobby .
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Yeah, that's a crazy video.

I learned to bring an ABC extinguisher along with my CO2 when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mgrJEMczg

I couldn't put the fire out with the CO2 and just watched good R/C equipment burn!
Yeah it's kind of a bad deal on the fire extinguisher. Flammable liquids are Class B fires and while CO2 extinguishers are listed for that, they don't do a very good job. The theory is that you cool the burning material while depleting the oxygen. Great theory but it doesn't really work in practice. The solids in your model e.g. wood, fiber of various materials and such are a Class A fire and CO2 just doesn't cut it on Class A fires. Unfortunately, if you use an ABC extinguisher on your model, that cotton pickin powder is really corrosive and very difficult to remove. So you may put the fire out but your electronics and possibly the turbine may have some substantial damage from the ABC powder.

There just isn't a really good solution although the Halon comes close if you can find one.

Depending on where you fly, having a couple of pressurized water extinguishers on hand can be a life saver if something goes down in the weeds and starts a fire, one of the guys I fly with also brings a shovel; he's had need of it before and didn't have it... lol

Just sign me a retired Firefighter/Paramedic....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.