Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

140 rx trouble

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

140 rx trouble

Old 09-19-2014, 06:59 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

indeed...I did this with the plan that I can test these two a bit now...

Also, if they are working, then I have a spare one way or another on the road...

DD
Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 AM
ddennison

double post

Last edited by ddennison; 09-19-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM
ddennison

Perhaps I am just trying to make myself feel better but, if you have POSITIVE experience with this turbine, I would love to hear that as well.

I am hopeful it will work as well as my other jetcats. I chose the two new ones so that at least I can swap/exchange if needed on the road and keep flying if one goes down etc.

Dave
Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave:

Hang in there. My two 140RX's continue to perform flawlessly. They are spec'd to run at 125K, but I am a bit gentler with them and run them at 123K and do use the auto barometric/temp mode. They both are coming up on about (30) 9 minute flights. One pushes my Boomer Torus and the other a Cook T-33 with authority at 2-3 clicks above 1/2 throttle for routine cruise clean at about 165-170 MPH on the Futaba GPS.

Like you with the new 140 order, I am a bit nervous about my decision to buy a 180RX for one of my BVM F-100's. It currently has an old JC Rhino with lots of hours on it. Seems like after the testing at JOK and in FL, John has figured out a proper hardware and software fix for the 180. Will chat with John one more time before I jump in.

Regards.......Tom
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM
ddennison

Hi Tom, thanks for the words of encouragement. I will also run mine a little on the gentle side to limit to <25 lbs per turbine.

I have to check on the auto baron/temp mode. I am not sure I had that active or not, but, I had to abort my first take off as the turbine was NOT coming up to speed. Fortunately Lance Campbell was there and knew to change the settings for the humidity on the idle throttle response so I could fly....Perhaps the the auto baro/temp solves this? I was strongly considering the B100F as it does a check of all these environmental factors each start (if I understand correctly). But since I am one deep, now I am three deep...
Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM
ddennison

I did another look through my v10 pdf but didn't see the auto temp/baro in there...I will have to find more on it but is sounds like a good thing to use, perhaps I am using it?

The slow response on the idle-avg rpm setting does settle it down and works for warm weather pretty well (Thanks Lance).

DD
Old 09-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Dave, go into the limits menu. When you get to the auto tune screen hit change value and scroll till you see Idle and ramp set. Select manual to save the change. You can confirm by hitting the info key and you will see the current barometric pressure. The pressure sensor is so sensitive that you can have the plane on a table and put it on the floor and you will see the pressure reading change. The limits menu will give you a PF number when auto tune is enabled. The is the percentage of max performance available based on the current air temp and barometric pressure. I don't baby my any of my 140 RX motors, there based on the design of the P-160 so there already de-rated.

Regards,
Don
Old 09-19-2014, 04:38 PM
ddennison

Thanks Don,

I would imagine with this setting that the turbine should be optimized for conditions. Is this the way it seems flying through extremes of humidity and heat this past summer? Or did you need to change other settings manually?

Dave
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Dave when in auto tune , you don't have to do anything manually, in auto tune the manual settings are disabled. When the ECU powers up it calculates the temp and the barometric pressure and adjust the ramping to atmospheric conditions. This this technology came about from UAV world where those aircraft are flown from sea level to 20,000 plus feet. I never had to touch any of my RX motors this summer with the auto tune enabled. The reason you wont find this in the manual is because Wilcox was old school and never bothered with the auto tune and he was the one writing the English instructions. 2 years ago when Marcus from Jetcat came to Kentucky jets I got to pick his brain about all the stuff not in the book. I was talking to Redman about your 140rx with the tight spot that comes and goes, the problem sounds like a thrust(spring) washer in the preload system that has a crack in it.

Don

Last edited by Jetkopter; 09-19-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:18 PM
jamesef91

Originally Posted by ddennison
Perhaps I am just trying to make myself feel better but, if you have POSITIVE experience with this turbine, I would love to hear that as well.

I am hopeful it will work as well as my other jetcats. I chose the two new ones so that at least I can swap/exchange if needed on the road and keep flying if one goes down etc.

Dave
53 perfect flights and about 700 minutes on mine so far. I have two rhinos, a superbee, two 180RX and 140 RX, My 140 RX has been the best of the bunch.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 PM
ddennison

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
Dave when in auto tune , you don't have to do anything manually, in auto tune the manual settings are disabled. When the ECU powers up it calculates the temp and the barometric pressure and adjust the ramping to atmospheric conditions. This this technology came about from UAV world where those aircraft are flown from sea level to 20,000 plus feet. I never had to touch any of my RX motors this summer with the auto tune enabled. The reason you wont find this in the manual is because Wilcox was old school and never bothered with the auto tune and he was the one writing the English instructions. 2 years ago when Marcus from Jetcat came to Kentucky jets I got to pick his brain about all the stuff not in the book. I was talking to Redman about your 140rx with the tight spot that comes and goes, the problem sounds like a thrust(spring) washer in the preload system that has a crack in it.

Don
Thanks Don,

1. I understand auto tune and saw it in my 180RX I think. I just didn't know if you liked it always or sometimes but it sounds like always! That is good. I will go that route. I had heard of some hunting with the idle but will see how it goes..

2. I pray that they take it apart this time and check and have an actual answer. It is new and under warranty as well. I have never had THIS problem with any of my previous Jetcat turbines (120(2) 160, Titan SE, 160SX, 180RX, p200SX) although I did have the NGV "BANG" on my 120s and had them fixed but that was a completely different problem.

Fortunately if I can convince it to spin it will start but I wonder if it is going to lock on cool down sometime and cause a real problem....has not yet...I called them today to make it very clear (in addition to my letter describing the problem) what the problem is and I also spoke with John about it twice so far. I hope to hear from him next week about it so I can get the F16 back together. I did ask them to fix it or replace it but I don't know if I can get a replacement. I don't want it back the way it is!

Thanks for the information, good stuff.

Dave
Old 09-20-2014, 02:57 AM
josecilurzo

we have an 11 JETCATs, P80, 90, 120, 140, 180, and, last 2 P80 runs 57 hours without any issues, and, back to Jetcat Brazil, only changing bearings ( they ok after 57 hours!!!

Jose
Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling over 10000 engines I'm sure a few get through the cracks.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 AM
ddennison

Guys, thanks for the good news. I certainly like them or would not keep buying them!

I have had good luck with all of my previous Jetcats, which is why I am expecting this to work out and why I bought two more for the A10...Come on Jetcat!

While I agree with the rate of something getting through the cracks...it still went back once without resolution (through the cracks twice..) and now is back for a third try. And if it went through a crack, perhaps this 1/10,000 event can be resolved with a rebuild or replaced turbine if it is 1/10000?

I am looking forward to its return and the arrival of my two others so I that I can get to work on the installation in the Hog.

Dave
Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 AM
sonicboom

Hi Dave
I sent a P120 to Jetcat USA a few years back for a service. I received it with the same issues. I was told the bearings had been moved somehow in transit and I needed to continually turn the turbine to allow then to seat again.. I seemed to work after an hour of manually turning and very sore fingers. I flew it for a further 10 flights then it stopped rotating completely after a start. It was rebuilt by Jetcat EU.. They stated some anomalies post service but would not elaborate..
Old 10-01-2014, 05:31 AM
ddennison

My 140RX is on the way back from Jetcat. The message I received was that it was not sticking upon arrival to them. The preload was redone and the instructions also suggest to be careful about how tight I secure the straps....

Interesting.

I am certain that I didnt tighten this any more than any of the other 9 jetcats during installation.

I am not sure what else to do to show this problem to Jetcat. I suppose I will need to video it and post it here or on Youtube for clarity.

Most importantly, I hope it arrives working....
Old 10-01-2014, 07:51 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Comment removed.

Last edited by essyou35; 10-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

John just told me they look at every engine 3 times.
So rest assured if they say it is fine, it is fine. Right?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
ddennison

As I mentioned above, I ordered two additional 140Rxs, feeling optimistic and loyal for some unknown reason as I have paid for everything on my own forever...

I was home tonight and ironically the UPS truck arrives. A square box from Jetcat.

I was hoping it would be my recently worked on 140RX but the box looked new so I figured it was one new (Purchased through Dreamworks) of the 2 ordered from Dreamworks.

Well, then I read that it is a P100RX and sure enough the invoice reads a 140RX to me/billing Dreamworks for about $crapload less than I paid.

So, now I have a P100RX I didn't order that I will have to get to UPS to return somehow. Fortunately I will not have to pay to return it. Cindy helped me get it all settled. She has always been helpful on the phone.

I also am wondering if the $crapload less is the 100RX price or the 140Rx price as billed to Dreamworks in my invoice. I know there is a dealer priced etc, I had no idea it was a $crapload.

Well, I still await my 3 -140RXs....now also aware of the value of being a dealer.

Dave

PS _ I realize I am being a little picky about this process but I have had a bumpy ride with performance, service and reliability this year with my Jetcats and am looking forward to things going back to a more normal positive direction..I hope..

Last edited by ddennison; 10-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
I had no idea it was a $crapload.

Well, I still await my 3 -140RXs....now also aware of the value of being a dealer.
I am not sure about Jetcat, but our manufacturers offer margins in the area of 15 to 20%.
If I'd have to rely on the dealership to make my living, I'd be starving to death. I didn't make a single $ of salary for myself this year.

Being a dealer in the hobby activity is unbelievably tricky. On such a thin margin, goods turnover is vital. You leave an item too long in the shop? You loose money on it.