Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Glue joint resistance comparative test.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Glue joint resistance comparative test.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sensei
Building and gluing to crash proof as suggested is a waste of time and only hinders the performance of an airplane IMO... We build to fly. The proper choice of airframe materials, adhesives, and a properly designed structure that includes proper bond lines is what is needed.

Personally I only use thin and medium CA on all my wood airframe structures including firewalls and landing gear blocks, I do use thin laminating epoxy on my sheeted foam wings and tail feathers though. There are many really great adhesives out there, most are much stronger than the materials that make up our airframes, so again bond lines are key.

Bob
I'm not sure it hiinders performance but it certainly can be overkill. And "less is more" as long as the bonding requirements are met. I like to use a variety of adhesives...each has its strengths and weaknesses...Hysol on firewalls around spar tubes, gear mounting blocks, basically anywhere there is repeat vibration and high stress...West Systems epoxy for finishing and laminating glass and CF and a lot of CA framing the bones as well as clear silicone to cushion and help secure wheel pants and the like. I like CA a lot but I don't use it around high stress, high vibration areas as I have seen it fail. If the fuel tank area is exposed wood I like to thin epoxy with isopropyl alcohol about 50/50 and fuel proof the area. And....all joints must be flush and clean! And I always keep a little JB Weld on hand for odd jobs. All of this takes time and patience and I have had to "walk away" more than once on a project...I find better results working with smaller batches of adhesive or confining it to a smaller area so I can control and clean along the way...even Hysol has a short pot once it is out of the tube when the ambient temp is 105F.

Oli, could you please add JB Weld to the test list.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
CafeenMan

The ONLY epoxies I've seen that fall under the category of turning to chewing gum are the hobby grades of 5-minute epoxy that are marketed to us. I used them back when I was a beginning builder and noticed it in planes I had that survived long enough for it to happen and I could peel those glues out completely. That would leave an absolutely clean joint as if no glue had ever been applied except for the glue that was actually between the pieces. For example if I used it to glue on a firewall the glue would be in the joint but the fillet behind the joint came out completely.

That's when I started never using it again.

Some CA's I've used have turned to a white powder. I believe those were hit with accelerator but I don't know for certain.

in general I use carpenter's glue and 30-minute epoxy for all my building and have no worries about any of my glue joints. I don't build jets, btw, so my problems are more normal model airplane problems. I'm not dealing with the heat and stresses that you guys are.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:17 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Interesting thread Oli. At the very least, we'll have some good empirical data to look at.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by sensei
Building and gluing to crash proof as suggested is a waste of time and only hinders the performance of an airplane IMO... We build to fly. The proper choice of airframe materials, adhesives, and a properly designed structure that includes proper bond lines is what is needed.

Personally I only use thin and medium CA on all my wood airframe structures including firewalls and landing gear blocks, I do use thin laminating epoxy on my sheeted foam wings and tail feathers though. There are many really great adhesives out there, most are much stronger than the materials that make up our airframes, so again bond lines are key.

Bob
Bob

On our jets it is now rare to have wood airframes. They may have some wood components like retract mounts but even these can be replaced with flex plates. Personally I have not had good results from CA. On chinese assembled airframes with built up wings they just come apart with a sharp knock failing along the glue line. I found I couldn't use CA after a very short while with the nasty side effects on my sinus. I only use it very rarely now and only when outside.

John
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Hysol 9462 has a chemical reaction (surface tension) with the surface being glued, I did lots of tests myself on a sliced up fuselage and glued formers to it. Hysol 9462 was the best. I did peel tests, shear and others. Its not so cut and dried and the combination of materials being glued can change what I reach for. But I'd say on the vast majority of Jet builds its 9462, with some ZAP 20 (Slo Zap) and ZAP 39 (30minute)

Dw
Old 09-03-2014, 02:43 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Bob

On our jets it is now rare to have wood airframes. They may have some wood components like retract mounts but even these can be replaced with flex plates. Personally I have not had good results from CA. On chinese assembled airframes with built up wings they just come apart with a sharp knock failing along the glue line. I found I couldn't use CA after a very short while with the nasty side effects on my sinus. I only use it very rarely now and only when outside.

John
Understood,

That is why I stated a properly designed airframe that includes bond lines designed for the use of CA gluing.

Bob
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Test with E-20HP.

30 kgs:

32.5 kgs:

35 kgs:

37.5 kgs:

40 kgs:

42.5 kgs:

45 kgs:

Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 AM
olnico

The glue joint broke at 47.5 kgs. That is a mighty 105 lbs.

That gives a shear strength of 9.20 kgs/cm2 or 131 PSI.

Note that the servo bracket is in perfect shape and ready for another test !!!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can stop testing now Oli.. Thats my choice of glue and those results are good enough for me lol

Last edited by Vettster; 09-04-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:04 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico

Oli,

that is my favorite glue. I prefer it over Aeropoxy because: sets quicker, like the color better and most importantly, I have had Aeropoxy show through the fuse while that has not happened at all with Vpoxy.

BTW, my Mig 15 was built in 98 with Aeropoxy and glue joints are as strong as new!!!! (I didnt finish the plane until 2008, but that is a different story )
Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 AM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see how 9462 stands up in comparison.

I have never used Hysol until now. I have glued my first formers in with 9462.

Just an observation. With the first test the mount was glued onto the timber with the grain running horizontally and the second with the grain vetical. Could this affect the outcome?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 AM
patf

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

that's why i like this testing. i bet the grain orientation did benefit in the latest test. now i know it matters how i orient grain when cutting servo mounts out of ply..
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by drac1
Just an observation. With the first test the mount was glued onto the timber with the grain running horizontally and the second with the grain vetical. Could this affect the outcome?
Yes it would.
The horizontal grain was just strong enough for the 5 min Z-poxy. The E-20HP test would have been meaningless on the same grain. The wood would have broken at about 30 kgs/ 60 lbs.
On this test with the vertical grain, the wood fibers did not separate. The glue joint sheared at the wood interface.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by patf
that's why i like this testing. i bet the grain orientation did benefit in the latest test. now i know it matters how i orient grain when cutting servo mounts out of ply..
Absolutely: wood grain along the width of the servo = 50% stronger glue joint.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 AM
olnico

That's pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see how 9462 stands up in comparison.
Will do soon!
Next E-20NS, then 9462.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
olnico

That's pretty impressive.
What's really impressivve is when the joint brakes and the 90 lbs load drops on the ground...
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great test Oli,

Are you familiar with this adhesive (9460F)? Similar to 9462, quicker setting.

http://www.henkelna.com/product-sear...=8797872947201
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Great test Oli,

Are you familiar with this adhesive (9460F)? Similar to 9462, quicker setting.

http://www.henkelna.com/product-sear...=8797872947201

Matt,

9460F used to be available, (and sold by Dreamworks), but it was my understanding it was no longer available and has not been for sometime. It had one part black, the other part white and ended up gray (looked like JB Weld when dry); and was great stuff. I wonder if you found an "old" page or if it's available again?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:43 AM
RCHS1
My Feedback: (1)

Nice work !

Try adding milled fiber to epoxy - curios how much if any strength it adds - my favorite mix is some 30 min epoxy and some milled fiber10-15%
Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCHS1
Nice work !

Try adding milled fiber to epoxy - curios how much if any strength it adds - my favorite mix is some 30 min epoxy and some milled fiber10-15%
I do the same thing for firewalls, but lately I've been wondering whether it's really necessary. Going to try Hysol 9462 on my current build.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Vettster

What's really impressive is when the joint brakes and the 90 lbs load drops on the ground...
You really should consider a safer method. Perhaps a 300lb weight on the floor if you dont want to secure an anchor to the floor... and then a ratchet with an inline scale. Just video the scale as you continue to increase pressure with the ratchet.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Vettster

There's really is one more glue you should test.. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	glue gun.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2028958  
Old 09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by George
Matt,

9460F used to be available, (and sold by Dreamworks), but it was my understanding it was no longer available and has not been for sometime. It had one part black, the other part white and ended up gray (looked like JB Weld when dry); and was great stuff. I wonder if you found an "old" page or if it's available again?
You would know better than me, I have a bunch of9460F still in the fridge. 9460 is good too, thicker than 9462 and I believe easier to ensure a good mix (with the black and white). I never like the beige aeropoxy color.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:26 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.oldbrownglue.com/images/a...urGlue_FWW.pdf
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Vettster
You really should consider a safer method. Perhaps a 300lb weight on the floor if you dont want to secure an anchor to the floor... and then a ratchet with an inline scale. Just video the scale as you continue to increase pressure with the ratchet.
Great idea, but I really don't have the time to implement it. So I'll keep digging holes in the workshop floor .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.