Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Old 09-19-2014, 05:25 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW. This is full on cheating! I got three flights in with a little 60" 3d Extra, so weird to have it fly rock steady in the wind. Very cool. Still not crazy about the power distribution, but the gyro stuff is neat. I have one cortex and two i gyro's, they will go in jets soon.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Svein,
Yes recommend you to update the receiver and transmitter.. there have been a lot of new enhancements in the receiver and transmitter software of the DC/DS..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys I don't know if this has been asked, but can the cortex be used on a jet that uses tailerons only? I'm loving my cortex and
will slowly be adding them to the entire fleet.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
Hey guys I don't know if this has been asked, but can the cortex be used on a jet that uses tailerons only? I'm loving my cortex and
will slowly be adding them to the entire fleet.
It should work fine with tailerons.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would I wire it the same as a traditional jet install? Would I need to make any changes to it using the software?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it's wired the same as a traditional jet. You might need to tweek your individual sub gains using the software.

Regards,

Jim
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi guys,

The Cortex arrived this afternoon and I thought it might be a good idea to check on the version of firmware installed - Software version 1.2 downloaded, gyro connected to the PC....but nothing happening. Then I noticed on the bottom right of the screen. ' USB-cable detected. No connection (device powered?)'

Am I suppose to power up the device? Why can't I find anywhere how to use the PC connection and do the download, even when I click to check online, nothing happens.........a bit ordinary, not all of us have the sense of a sniffer dog to figure it out??? I can see that the 'connected device has an 'unknown' firmware version.....so what???

I don't have the gyro installed, just took it out the box and connected it to my PC.....am I suppose to install it first.....if so, how am I suppose to know that?

I absolutely hate products without decent instructions.......ggggrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 09-23-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jan,
Yes the device needs to be powered.
If you have an old RX battery pack lying around, plug it into the gyro, and the PC software will detect it straight away.
Then you can choose to download the newer firmware (if required) from the link that you get.
Hope that helps
Morten
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Hi guys,

Am I suppose to power up the device? Why can't I find anywhere how to use the PC connection and do the download, even when I click to check online, nothing happens.........a bit ordinary, not all of us have the sense of a sniffer dog to figure it out??? I can see that the 'connected device has an 'unknown' firmware version.....so what???

I don't have the gyro installed, just took it out the box and connected it to my PC.....am I suppose to install it first.....if so, how am I suppose to know that?

I absolutely hate products without decent instructions.......ggggrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Jan
Agree Jan. Something else that's not mentioned (or labeled on the gyro) is which way to plug in the leads. It's easy enough to figure out from the adapter plug that comes with the unit but why not make it perfectly clear? I needed to power mine up for the update just like you and was very nervous about plugging in the power backwards. Just for confirmation, the negative (black/brown) wire goes to the front of the unit.

FWI, I'll be testing mine in flight for the first time today at Super Jet South.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4763_edited-1.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2034703  
Old 09-24-2014, 04:36 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Morten and Craig, I'll give it another go.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
Agree Jan. Something else that's not mentioned (or labeled on the gyro) is which way to plug in the leads. It's easy enough to figure out from the adapter plug that comes with the unit but why not make it perfectly clear? I needed to power mine up for the update just like you and was very nervous about plugging in the power backwards. Just for confirmation, the negative (black/brown) wire goes to the front of the unit.

FWI, I'll be testing mine in flight for the first time today at Super Jet South.

Craig

Craig please post your impression of the gyro after you get a few flights on it.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 PM
DrScoles

So fellow Demon Cortex brothers, if one was to lose the jumper, would it just be the two outside wires that are connected, or all three? I set it up in an electric 3d plane, now transferring it to a jet, pretty sure the jumper is still out at the field....

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

The outsides - it is the same as a spek bind plug
Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:-( My mistake.

Last edited by bcovish; 09-24-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM
DrScoles

I actually read all the instructions and found that its the outer two, good thing I didn't try the middle, says bad things happen.

So, This worked fine on my little 60" electric. I installed it in a jet with a futaba 14 channel rx. The first two channels work, none of the others do. Nor, does the aux. Any ideas? I'm positive I have polarity correct, I tried several combinations, only the first two ports work, the other three and the aux do not.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Can you post photos of your connections. Did you do the learning step with the jumper?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I actually read all the instructions and found that its the outer two, good thing I didn't try the middle, says bad things happen.

So, This worked fine on my little 60" electric. I installed it in a jet with a futaba 14 channel rx. The first two channels work, none of the others do. Nor, does the aux. Any ideas? I'm positive I have polarity correct, I tried several combinations, only the first two ports work, the other three and the aux do not.
Dr. Scoles, By any chance do any of your servo extensions have signal boosters in them?? I had some in my plane and had the same problem. After removing them I was able to set it up no problem. I also have a Futaba 14 channel Rx.

Bob
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Craig please post your impression of the gyro after you get a few flights on it.
Bob,
I made two flights yesterday with the gyro and.......WOW! You guys were right. I was a little skeptical since my big Futura was such a smooth flying *****cat without a gyro, but when we flipped that switch, the improvement was immediate. Absolutely rock solid flight, perfect rolls and straight knife edge passes.....all this in mildly windy conditions. It's interesting how the gyro can accomplish that and still respond smoothly to the slightest control input.

FWIW, on my 12X I used the gyro channel (as Harley suggested) with the 3 position Aux 2 switch. Settings were Off, 30% gain and 50% gain ("gain" being the percentage between Off and full gyro input). One of the Demon Cortex guys named Mike helped me on the first flight and suggested I back the 30% gain down 3 or 4 percent for "normal" flight because he said I was getting some slight elevator oscillation in turns, which I didn't see but took his advise anyway. I used the higher gain for landing.

Anyhow, a great product and really simple to set up. Gordon D. was so impressed we're going to stick one in his KingCat today.

Thanks for the help,

Craig
Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 AM
DrScoles

Bob B, I'm certain its connected properly, the two elevators wouldn't work if it wasn't. Zero chance the polarity is wrong on the leads. Even if I had them wrong, the rudder would physically move. I did not go through the learn process because the ailerons, rudder and aux did not work. I did plug the jumper in and watched it go through the steps, and the rudder did jerk. But it won't allow me to give input. Do I need to reset the gyro since it was already set up in another plane? The directions say no, but that could be it? I have not used the software yet confirmed which version of software/firmware I have. Again, it worked fine in another plane, so doubt that would be a factor either.

Bob#2, There could be boosters in the wires, I did not wire this plane originally, I will look. I'll take a servo and plug it directly into one of the ports and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 05:52 AM
DrScoles

Ran out into the shop before going to the office. plugged a servo directly into the C port, no bueno…. Thinking I need to reset it???
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Plug a servo directly into one of the receiver channels that doesn't appear to be working just to be certain the receiver isn't the problem. It sounds like none of the channels associated with the single wire connections between the Cortex and the receiver, are working, only the ones with full, 3 wire extensions correct? If you are positive that you have the single wire connections plugged in so they connect to the signal pin on the receiver channel then I would connect the Cortex to the PC interface. There is a screen that should allow you to monitor what activity the Cortex is seeing on it's inputs. You are using the provided wiring loom and not SBUS or something, correct?

Last edited by wfield0455; 09-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
c_makhija

Sorry if its been said before, but what is the correct procedure for flight setup. Are we suppose to preset the gain on a switch and activate it in flight or use a knob to increase the gain until we see the occultations and then back off a bit.
Gyro with 3 axis occultation could be viscious in flight i guess.

Thanks
Chatty.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:18 PM
DrScoles

Hi Wayne, I did plug servos directly. I am positive i have the polarity correct. It worked on my other plane two minutes prior…. LOL I will do the pc interface. Wanted to avoid it because it worked fine in the other plane. Just wondering if the 14 channel rx is doing something different than the 6 channel I was using voltage wise??
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 PM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi doc, is that RX a HS?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:43 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by Bob_B

Bob,

Just got home from GA jets South and I flew my Skygate Hawk for the first time with Cortex gryo in it. I love it. It is very transparent. You will fly the plane and not realize how good it is until you turn it off and you remember how flew in wind before. I love how easy you set up for a landing even with a cross wind and you will notice how stable it is. You just need to keep it pointed. Before I would be bouncing around trying to keep it level. Now I just line it up with rudder. It dampens the quick corrections you are making to keep it stable.

I bet I talked to 20+ pilots there that are using them.

The fellows from Demon Gyros were there checking and helping with setups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.