Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:00 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob_B
however even in holding hold if landing in a crosswind the model will have to crab to main it path accross the ground.
Not necessarily true. You can also approach using the 'wing down' method which keeps the aircraft pointing down the runway at all times with no crabbing. It is the recommended approach technique for some full size aircraft.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Svein Erik Riis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I have some issues with setting up a Cortex with my Jeti DC 16. I have put the on/of to the sj switch.I have gyro off and gyro normal, but I can't get it in the hold mode. Gyro off is in center and normal is with the switch pushed forward.But when I want it to go to hold, it is still in red when I have pulled the switch to the bottom.I have set the normal at -30 and off at 0 and hold at +40.Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Check your actual travel position, in servo monitor.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Svien can I suggest using one of your sliders to control the gain of the gyro. Assuming center position is zero, one side should make the led red the other side green. You can vary the gain from -100-0+100
Old 09-18-2014, 03:37 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LA jetguy
A few things to note when setting up the cortex gyro: red light the gyro is off... Amber light gyro is normal mode and green light is in hold mode...Also there is a new firmware update ver 14 (1.4).... This firmware will reduce a slight jitter on the control surfaces if you have any...

enjoy the best gyro on the current market......
I received my cortex gyro from DreamWorks last week and it was version 13. When I updated it yesterday, version 15 was the latest. Apparently the only change from v14 is the ability to turn some of the internal functions on/off via the software. I don't believe it effects any of the operational functionality.

FWIW, I followed Bob B's advise and the install and setup went smoothly in my big Futura. The only issue I had was the tight fit of the plugs going to the rx. I found I had to bevel the edges slightly with a fine file to allow them to fit into the rx slots. Really looking forward to trying it out next week at Super Jet South.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4762_edited-1.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	2033210  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:47 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Svein Erik Riis
Hello.

I have some issues with setting up a Cortex with my Jeti DC 16. I have put the on/of to the sj switch.I have gyro off and gyro normal, but I can't get it in the hold mode. Gyro off is in center and normal is with the switch pushed forward.But when I want it to go to hold, it is still in red when I have pulled the switch to the bottom.I have set the normal at -30 and off at 0 and hold at +40.Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here?
What you have done sounds correct. The only way I can understand the behavior you're seeing is if you connected the Cortex to a PC and accidentally changed the bank settings to disable hold mode for both switch positions. Either that or your Cortex is defective, which sounds unlikely. Verify the behavior of your switch with the servo monitor or by plugging a servo into the gain channel. If you find no problems there, I'd connect the Cortex to a PC, ensure it has the latest firmware and reset it to the factory defaults. If it still doesn't work correctly, it's time to contact the vendor you got it from to help trouble shoot the problem or perhaps have the unit replaced..
Old 09-18-2014, 04:40 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by CraigG
Harley,

What switch are you using on your 12X to control the gyro function and how was Dustin able to adjust the sensitivity during flight?

Thanks,

Craig
Craig,
The gyro is plugged into Aux 2, and in code 17, the Aux 2 channel is set to GYR .
In code 17, Device Select, Aux 2 [OUT] selections are: INH, ACT, GYR and PIT.
The Flight mode selection in Code 17 is set to Flap Switch, the Flap channel in Code 17 must be set to SYS, which is part of the "Crow" programming in my KingCat.

When GYR is selected in Code 17, Code 44 (Gyro Sensitivity) is enabled in the Tx, and that is where the sensitivity percentage selections are made. There is a sensitivity selection available for each position in the Flight Modes, FM), FM1, FM2. These sensitivity adjustments can be altered on the ground, or in flight by Dustin (If you are fortunate enough to have him around).

So, when the Flight Modes are changed by the flap switch, the gyro sensitivity changes to match your selection made in the Flight Mode.
Changes are made with the roller in Code 44.
While you fly the airplane in each Flight Mode, the adjustment can be made. You can see the results of the sensitivity changes in real time. This is much easier than flying, landing and adjusting, and repeating the process over and over.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:49 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
Craig,
The gyro is plugged into Aux 2, and in code 17, the Aux 2 channel is set to GYR .
In code 17, Device Select, Aux 2 [OUT] selections are: INH, ACT, GYR and PIT.
The Flight mode selection in Code 17 is set to Flap Switch, the Flap channel in Code 17 must be set to SYS, which is part of the "Crow" programming in my KingCat.

When GYR is selected in Code 17, Code 44 (Gyro Sensitivity) is enabled in the Tx, and that is where the sensitivity percentage selections are made. There is a sensitivity selection available for each position in the Flight Modes, FM), FM1, FM2. These sensitivity adjustments can be altered on the ground, or in flight by Dustin (If you are fortunate enough to have him around).

So, when the Flight Modes are changed by the flap switch, the gyro sensitivity changes to match your selection made in the Flight Mode.
Changes are made with the roller in Code 44.
While you fly the airplane in each Flight Mode, the adjustment can be made. You can see the results of the sensitivity changes in real time. This is much easier than flying, landing and adjusting, and repeating the process over and over.
Harley,
Got it, thanks! I usually don't like people making adjustments to my tx programming during flight but at least I know now how you and Dustin did it. See you guys next weekend at SJS!

Craig
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Craig,
Glad you got the info.
Sorry, but I won't be attending SJS this year. Other obligations are in the way.
Maybe next year...Dustin will be attending, though.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Dustin Buescher

I only skimmed what Harley wrote... so may be redundant info.

in the gyro system, set it up so that the gyro type is "tail lock". This gives the availability of using the two banks. This gives you options of "N" and "T". Think of these as "Bank 1" and "Bank 2". 0% is off 100% is obviously 100% in that bank. An Amber LED is bank 1, the "normal" bank that we use unless advanced computer setup is done.

Best of luck!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Just downloaded and installed firmware update 15. I'm particularly interested in this update as I am stabilizing rudder and nose wheel together and it is supposed to stop stabilization on the nose wheel when retracted. Rudder is on one channel, nose wheel is on another. Nose wheel channel is mixed to rudder in the TX.

Got it all installed and updated, no problem. Issue is I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to stop stabilization on the nose wheel when retracted.

A nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
...jim
Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by JimBrown
Just downloaded and installed firmware update 15. I'm particularly interested in this update as I am stabilizing rudder and nose wheel together and it is supposed to stop stabilization on the nose wheel when retracted. Rudder is on one channel, nose wheel is on another. Nose wheel channel is mixed to rudder in the TX.

Got it all installed and updated, no problem. Issue is I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do to stop stabilization on the nose wheel when retracted.

A nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
...jim
Jim, a single output channel can be disabled in a "bank".
In your case, you can switch between banks with the gear command.
You need to install a new PC software (V1.2) to be able to disable any output in a particular bank.

Jack
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Bob_B

Jim why not disable the NG mix when retracted?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 PM
JimBrown

Thanks Jack! That was the nudge I needed. Got it working now.

Bob, the mix is disabled with the gear retracted, but the Cortex was still applying rudder corrections to the nose gear steering servo. This update, and with Jack's helpful hint, means that the nose gear servo does not move at all when the gear is retracted.

...jim
Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Bob_B

So the steering servo was still moving with the gear up?

Last edited by Bob_B; 09-19-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 AM
wfield0455

So the steering servo was still moving with the gear up?
Yes, even though the mix in the transmitter is disabled, the Cortex would still apply corrections unless the NG channel on the Cortex is disabled as well when the gear is retracted.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Bob_B

I understand the gyro would still apply corrections but if the mix is off when the gear is up, the steering servo should NOT move, so I am not sure why this is an issue.
I can say for a fact that my steering servo is NOT moving when the gear is up.

Glad you found a resolution for your setup.

Last edited by Bob_B; 09-19-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM
wfield0455

I understand the gyro would still apply corrections but if the mix is off when the gear is up, the steering servo should NOT move, so I am not sure why this is an issue. I can say for a fact that my steering servo is NOT moving when the gear is up.
If you have your Cortex connected to your receiver's NG steering channel and the nose gear steering servo connected to the Cortex, without doing anything to disable NG channel on the Cortex, the Cortex SHOULD be moving the NG steering servo as the aircraft yaws. Of course if you had the nose wheel steering mix in the transmitter disabled during the Cortex setup, the Cortex NEVER applies any NG steering corrections, as it saw no servo movement on the NG steering channel during setup. It sounds like something isn't quite the way you think it is but I've been wrong before..
Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM
Bob_B

My mix disables the NG Channel.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 AM
JimBrown

Bob, are you running the NG servo through the Cortex? Not everyone is... particularly if they have dual rudders on separate channels.

In my case, I wanted the Cortex to stabilize the NG as well as the rudders, so I wye'd the rudders together into one channel, and used another channel on the Cortex for the nose gear. On the TX, I have one channel for rudder, and one channel for NG with appropriate mix. During setup, the gear must be extended so that the NG servo is active (via the TX mix) and the Cortex will see it as a second "rudder" channel. From then on, any yaw movement gets stabilized on both the rudder and NG. However prior to the update, when turning off the NG servo after retraction via the mix on the TX, the Cortex does not know that it is turned off and continues to apply yaw stabilization to both "rudder" channels. The only movement of the NG servo when retracted is from the Cortex, there is no movement from the rudder stick on the TX.

With the latest update, you can turn off any channel in one bank, and have it on in the other. So now, I'll use bank 1 for take off and landing, with all channels turned on, and a higher gain. For cruise flight, I'll use bank 2 with lower gain and the NG channel turned off in the Cortex (as well as via the TX mix).

Of course, this setup has to be done via the PC software.

And I should mention that this setup has not flown yet. Maiden flight will be at SJS next week.

...jim
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Svein Erik Riis

Originally Posted by Svein Erik Riis
Hello.

I found the problem. It is really funny, I could not program a switch on any of my planes. They just work from 0 to + 100, not to -100.
I had two new recivers on my shelf and put one of them in my plane and guess what? Now my switches work both ways.
The reciver is over two years old and I have never updated it. Mabye it should try to update it. It is the 14 channel reciver.
Any thougts anyone?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but why aren't people freaking out about the power being supplied to the servos by two wires? We buy all these giant power boxes and redundant systems, then we bypass it all by using this gyro with two little power leads going into it that will power multiple servos? I know you could power them separately and just use the output signal wire, but that would be a pain in the ass.

I have mine installed in a little 3D electric, two more patients and its off to the field to play with it!
Old 09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
We buy all these giant power boxes and redundant systems, then we bypass it all by using this gyro with two little power leads going into it that will power multiple servos? I know you could power them separately and just use the output signal wire, but that would be a pain in the ass.
+1
Old 09-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but why aren't people freaking out about the power being supplied to the servos by two wires? We buy all these giant power boxes and redundant systems, then we bypass it all by using this gyro with two little power leads going into it that will power multiple servos? I know you could power them separately and just use the output signal wire, but that would be a pain in the ass.

I have mine installed in a little 3D electric, two more patients and its off to the field to play with it!
So maybe the extra gear is not really essential?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Bob_B

Jim the model I have the cortex in has a rather unique mix between the rudder and NG and the reason I do not have any output to the NG when the gear is retracted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.