Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave,

Please do it give it shot to see what results you come up with. I'd love to hear your results!

Yes, the original iGyro has sbus in/out, but I was looking for an option suitable for a "lesser" aircraft if you know what i mean.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
George

Originally Posted by siclick33
Is the output from the SBE-1 the only S-BUS signal in your setup, or is it being combined somewhere (e.g. a hub?) with a S-BUS signal directly from the RX? i.e. Have you inadvertently supplied 2 S-BUS signals that are conflicting with each other?
Sic,

I didn't mean to skip your question, just got lost in the shuffle.

I'm not sure if that's what's going on or not, or if it's even possible; but the Cortex shouldn't be "sending" any signals while it is completely stationary, correct?

Hopefully someone else (Dave) will give it a shot and see what happens. I'm getting ready to leave town, so won't be able to mess with it for awhile.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:24 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Cortex will pass servo information when stationary to tell the servos to be stationary

Can you explain how your system is set up? What receiver are you using and what have you got plugged in to what? I assume you are using S-BUS (and not S-BUS2)?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Need a bit of advice guys,
Just finishing off a new L39 using Jeti DS16, Powerbox Comp SRS with two rsats and for the first time a Cortex.
Looking at PB website they say a Cortex won't work with their Powerbox because it hasn't got a bus port and that an igyro should be used.
Last week I set it all up on the bench and everything seemed to work fine when I moved the gyro in all three axis, is this just sour grapes on PB's behalf? Anyone else using a similar setup?
Gary
Old 01-18-2015, 02:43 PM
siclick33

I think they've probably just misread the question. Other threads on the Powerbox forum seem to suggest that their preferred installation method, when using an SRS Powerbox, is to install a iGyro (not iGyro3e) between the RX and the Powerbox using it's S-Bus inputs and outputs. You can't do this with a Cortex (or an iGyro3e) as it doesn't have the S-Bus output.

The question actually asked on the forum was whether you can install the Cortex between the SRS Powerbox and the servos and the answer is, in theory, yes you can; however I haven't tested this combination myself.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:45 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure you could set everything up without the Cortex, then take the PB outputs for individual servos to be stabilized and send them to the Cortex .. then from the Cortex outputs to the servos, and it would work fine.

I think what they mean is it would not work "elegantly", or as they intend .. which would be Sbus into the Cortex, Sbus out from the Cortex to the Comp SRS (SRS means a unit designed to take serial/SBUS input), then Comp SRS going direct to the servos.

Interesting that the Cortex takes Sbus in but no Sbus out, and the low-cost PB unit does neither .. presumably they would resist doing that even though they clearly know how, to avoid a conflict with the higher-end iGyro .. of course that unit also has the speed-dependent gain feature with the GPS.

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 01-18-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:36 PM
George

The Cortex will pass servo information when stationary to tell the servos to be stationary

Can you explain how your system is set up? What receiver are you using and what have you got plugged in to what? I assume you are using S-BUS (and not S-BUS2)?
Yes stationary, so the Cortex shouldn't be "sending" any commands to cause a "conflict".

6208SB to multiple hubs with sbus servos with the exception of nose steering, turbine throttle input and electric gear input. No sbus2
Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 PM
siclick33

Is the input to the Cortex plugged directly in to the RX or in to a hub? Is the output from the SBE-1 plugged in to a hub that also has an input from the RX S-Bus output (or from a hub that is also connected via the RX S-Bus output)?

I'm just trying to narrow down potential conflicts.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I should have stated the question a little clearer, the setup I tried was 2 rsats bussed into SRS then SRS to Cortex, Cortex to servo's which seems to work well on the bench.
Sounds a bit complicated but it's neat enough.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:06 AM
mick15

All this enhances my earlier post, coupled with the fact it cannot accept two Rxs a requirement of the UK CAA for over 20Kg models, leading me to re-state they didn't do their homework before bringing this unit to market. So as not to waste it I did fit it to my Boomer Elan in which it works very well.

m
Old 01-19-2015, 03:41 AM
George

Is the input to the Cortex plugged directly in to the RX or in to a hub? Is the output from the SBE-1 plugged in to a hub that also has an input from the RX S-Bus output (or from a hub that is also connected via the RX S-Bus output)?

An extension "hub" is plugged into the rx, then one lead to Cortex, the SBE, then one out to another hub.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 AM
George

Sic,

I just figured out what were you trying to get at. I'm getting ready to head to the airport, but I had to try one other thing before I headed out; and IT WORKS!!!

The problem was the two separate "feeds" into the hub. I plugged the Cortex directly to the rx and the SBE out to the rest of the plane. So we have a good solution to use the Cortex in an all sbus installation. Although not new to this stuff, I'm still new to sbus, so there's much to learn. I appreciate this forum and what it still has to offer between all silly stuff.

Thanks again!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Way to go George! Sorry I could not get back to you over the weekend.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM
George

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Way to go George! Sorry I could not get back to you over the weekend.
No problem Bob! I'm sure the auto show was much better than talking to me on the phone while I was causing a user-induced problem.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Bob_B

I'll let you decide!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2065383  
Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Where's the cars?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Chris True

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a different angle?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Trying to connect Cortex to computer I have software 1.2. Want to load firmware 1.5. Driver loaded, USB detected. Get no connection with a note device powered? Yes it is powered up. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Bob_B

Wayne Make sure the PC cable is plugged into the cortex with the white wire facing towards the center of the gyro. The gyro has to have power too.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Bob_B

Superb lines to the body work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2065467  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Chris True

Originally Posted by bob_b
superb lines to the body work.
lol!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:58 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by WHMC
Trying to connect Cortex to computer I have software 1.2. Want to load firmware 1.5. Driver loaded, USB detected. Get no connection with a note device powered? Yes it is powered up. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks
Just making sure because I don't have my field laptop handy. A friend of mine was having fits, called me up, what he was saying didn't make any sense. What we found out is that he had downloaded the software for the flybarless controller and not the actual Cortex. The heli software appears further up on the download page and caused him some confusion.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
siclick33

Originally Posted by George
Sic,

I just figured out what were you trying to get at. I'm getting ready to head to the airport, but I had to try one other thing before I headed out; and IT WORKS!!!

The problem was the two separate "feeds" into the hub. I plugged the Cortex directly to the rx and the SBE out to the rest of the plane. So we have a good solution to use the Cortex in an all sbus installation. Although not new to this stuff, I'm still new to sbus, so there's much to learn. I appreciate this forum and what it still has to offer between all silly stuff.

Thanks again!
Excellent news. Glad you got it sorted
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 AM
PowerBox-Systems GmbH

Just to clarify that:

For sure: you can use PowerBox SRS + Cortex or iGyro3e. But if you have to match 2 servos - for example if you have 2 servos in one aileron - itīs not possible as the gyros have only one output for each function. Then you need a system which has the gyro between receiver and PowerBox. To do that with a SRS System you need a Gyro with S-BUS IN and S-BUS OUT.

Or
you use a non SRS PowerBox with Cortec or iGyro3e between receiver and PowerBox. This setup has two disadvantages: You cannot make a redundant dual receiver setup and you miss the pulse amplification of the PowerBox. If you donīt need this features - no problem!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 AM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Bob, Thanks again unit is now updated to 1.5. One more question then I will leave ya alone. New firmware indicates the ability to deactivate a stabilized nose wheel when retracted. Not sure how this is done. My thought is pick the stabilized channel the nws is on, retract gear and set gain to zero in up position????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.