Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Actually in the new firmware/software you can switch off the NWS in either of the modes, which you can also make rate or heading hold at your discretion.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok then the NWS can be deactivated in both banks. How is that done with computer program or tx. ?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Bob_B

Computer programming.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:59 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Set both banks to normal mode, then, in bank 1 leave gain alone on NWS, in bank 2 set gain to 0 on NWS. Select bank 1,when gear is down and bank 2 when your gear retracts.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't even need to do that with the latest software. You can simply select the appropriate channel off in the appropriate bank, using the 'channels assigned' option in the Bank 1 and Bank 2 pages. Doing it this way allows you to retain stabilisation for the rudder when the gear is up.

Last edited by siclick33; 01-20-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:17 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerBox-Systems GmbH
Just to clarify that:

For sure: you can use PowerBox SRS + Cortex or iGyro3e. But if you have to match 2 servos - for example if you have 2 servos in one aileron - it´s not possible as the gyros have only one output for each function. Then you need a system which has the gyro between receiver and PowerBox. To do that with a SRS System you need a Gyro with S-BUS IN and S-BUS OUT.

Or
you use a non SRS PowerBox with Cortec or iGyro3e between receiver and PowerBox. This setup has two disadvantages: You cannot make a redundant dual receiver setup and you miss the pulse amplification of the PowerBox. If you don´t need this features - no problem!
Thanks for that Richard!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:47 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by siclick33
You don't even need to do that with the latest software. You can simply select the appropriate channel off in the appropriate bank, using the 'channels assigned' option in the Bank 1 and Bank 2 pages. Doing it this way allows you to retain stabilisation for the rudder when the gear is up.
Other than saying to set the gain to 0 for the nose wheel steering channel in one of the banks instead of uncheck it (I wasn't in front of the computer and I did this over a month ago), isn't that exactly what I said? The bottom line is 2 banks, both normal mode, 1 bank has stabilization turned of on the NSW channel the other doesn't. Both banks have everything else enabled, Doesn't that about sum it up or am I missing something else?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:38 PM
WHMC

Hi Wayne, what I'm getting in the way you describe, bank 1 will be stabilized all controls plugged in cortex. Bank 2 will have all stabilized except nws. So takeoff bank 1 fly in bank 2 then switch back to bank 1 for landing with nws stabilization? Too bad gyro needs to be switched back and forth. Landing equals switch bank 1 gear switch down! Guess you lose the hold function doing this? Thanks Wayne

Last edited by WHMC; 01-20-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 PM
siclick33

You can't set the gain for individual channels, only the gain for the axis (i.e. elevator, aileron and rudder). If you set the 'rudder' gain to zero to remove the stabilisation to the steering (you can't set NWS gain to zero on its own) then you lose stabilisation to the rudder as well, which isn't what you want. However, you can turn individual channels off using the toggle option in the software.

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Other than saying to set the gain to 0 for the nose wheel steering channel in one of the banks instead of uncheck it (I wasn't in front of the computer and I did this over a month ago), isn't that exactly what I said? The bottom line is 2 banks, both normal mode, 1 bank has stabilization turned of on the NSW channel the other doesn't. Both banks have everything else enabled, Doesn't that about sum it up or am I missing something else?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 AM
WHMC

Sic, If nws is plugged in cortex separate from rudder then you could set gain to 0 is that correct?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by WHMC
Sic, If nws is plugged in cortex separate from rudder then you could set gain to 0 is that correct?
Yes, what Tx do use presently? Most are putting the gyro gain on the flap switch setup to be the flight mode switch too. The way the gyro knows to be in bank one or bank two is whether the signal is negative or positive. Example, bank 1(-), flaps up, rate mode, nws gain off, bank 1(-) t/o rate mode nws steering active, bank 2 (+), landing flaps holding hold mode, nws active. The difference is in the T/O mode switch position the radio has to output a positive signal to know you want the bank 2 settings which can be heading hold or rate mode on any of the cortex outputs.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 AM
WHMC

Bob, 18X
Old 01-21-2015, 09:50 AM
siclick33

Maybe I'm missing something now

There is no NWS gain control in the Cortex. There is 'rudder' gain that controls the gain of everything in the Yaw axis; this could be rudder(s) or NWS. You can have several rudder/NWS servos plugged in to the cortex but they are all controlled by the single 'rudder' gain. If you set this to zero then you turn off gain for all servos operating in the Yaw axis, including the rudder.

If you select the relevant channel for the NWS steering 'off', using the 'channels assigned' option in the software, then you can retain your rudder stabilisation whilst turning off the NSW stabilisation.

I hope that is clear but I'm concerned that I'm missing something now

Last edited by siclick33; 01-21-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 AM
Bob_B

There would if he stabilizes the steering separate from the rudder
Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 AM
siclick33

How do you do that? I didn't think that was possible.

Last edited by siclick33; 01-21-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Bob_B

The Cortex Has 5 I/O's so you could use one for the Rudder and one for the Steering then just turn off the Steering channel on the gyro in flight! Of course the radio has to be set up accordingly too.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM
siclick33

OK. I understand now. You are talking about turning off the steering channel which agrees with what I said earlier WHMC was talking about setting the gain to zero on just the NWS channel, which isn't possible.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM
WHMC

OK here is how I set it up. A=Ail. w/ Y harness 3 wire power lead/ Ail port rx.
B= Rt. Elev. 3 wire power lead/ Elev. port rx.
C= Lf. Elev. Orange/ Aux 4 port rx.
D= Rud. Yellow/ Rud. port rx.
E= Nws. Green/ Aux 3 port rx.

All controls are setup and working! Next will use the computer and turn off aux 3 that goes from rx to Cortex that controls nws. Not very familiar with computer program? Will plugging in usb to jumper port erase programming in Cortex? Well...... will find out and advise if successful turning off stabilization on nws in up position. Guess the worst that can happen is blow the plane up ha ha!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM
WHMC

And yes sic I will use the channel selection not gain as now I understand what you are saying. Gain will effect all controls on yaw axis ie rudder!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM
WHMC

Seems to be working! Left bank 1 standard. Changed bank 2 to all norm and all on except rud. E= off. No stabilization to nws in bank 2. Guess the senario is to takeoff bank 1, fly in bank 2 (also norm) land bank1. Hold function of Cortex in this program is now gone! Never used one of these before is hold used very much? What for?
Old 01-21-2015, 04:27 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by siclick33
How do you do that? I didn't think that was possible.
There are 5 channels that the Cortex can stabilize and I have 2, Ailerons, 1 Rudder, 1 Elevator and Steering or 5 channels total. I probably did a poor job of describing the process due to having done it a while back and not having the software running in front of me. I was remembering the older software as allowing you use the PC software to adjust the gain independently for each channel so that the overall gain could be optimized so each control surface had the best possible gain setting but again, it's been a while so I may not be remembering that quite right either. In any event, it wasn't difficult to get a separate steering servo that was disabled when the gear was up. The only real issue was whether your plane would allow you to fit, ailerons, elevator, rudder and steering into 5 channels, which my Hawk with a single Elevator servo did..
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=George;11964635]Sic,

I just figured out what were you trying to get at. I'm getting ready to head to the airport, but I had to try one other thing before I headed out; and IT WORKS!!!

The problem was the two separate "feeds" into the hub. I plugged the Cortex directly to the
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps if you used one of the 3-channel SBus decoders to take channels 5,6,7 back to PWM, and feed them into the SBE it could work? I know, seems awkward to convert ALL channels back to PWM then recombine into an SBus stream post-Gyro stabilzation. Perhaps someday the Cortex will have SBus out like the iGyro does - that is really the more elegant way to do a gyro with a "pure SBus" install.

Dave
Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe that would work Dave, but it's a little too much at this point considering sbus is supposed to cut down on wiring, but now I potentially have to add more to prevent running extensions to the Cortex.

I was willing to add the SBE, but I'm over it now. I'm not sure why you would have S in, but still have to run everything else conventional, it defeats the whole purpose. It's a great gyro in my Shockwave, but just can't fit the bill in my other planes. Anyone looking for a NIB Cortex?
Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by George
UPDATE!
I finally got around to trying to finish up the install, but although it initially looked like it worked, I never had the wings plugged in until today. And although the elevator and rudder were fine, both flaps and rt. aileron did not. The SBE needs all corresponding signal leads for channels being used, and since 1,2 & 4 were plugged into the gyro, they functioned properly, but channels 5,6 & 7 do not, hence no function from the flaps or rt. aileron. It does not look like there is a "work-around" for SBUS out with the Cortex. I feel I have exhausted all possibilities to make this work with what's available. I'll be going with a true SBUS in/out solution for my serial installations. I really thought I had it figured out!!
I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly how you had this connected ?

Since the Cortex can stabilize a maximum of 5 channesl, I assume you had Left Aileron, Right Aileron, Left Elevator, Right Elevator and Rudder connected to inputs 1 - 5 of the cortex and then outputs 1 - 5 of the Cortex to the SBE and all other channels patched directly from the receiver to the SBE? That should definitely work.

If you used S-Bus from the receiver to connect to the Cortex, I assume you also selected those same channels to be stabilized within the Cortex software and connected Cortex outputs 1 - 5 to the SBE. You would also need an S Bus Hub, ahead of the Cortex with one side of the hub used to connect the non stabilized channels and the other side connected to the cortex. In effect you would end up with a stabilized S Bus and a non stabilized one. It gets ugly but it should work if connected properly..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.