Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

George, absolutely, I agree .. it's ugly..

Wayne, I agree that your suggestion should work. But, if one of the goals was to simplify wiring for example to the wings .. to use only one connector to all the servos in the wing .. this would undo that because flaps and ailerons would be on different connectors (the stabilized and unstablized Sbuses as you called them). I like to use the nice heavy duty wing connectors that Robbe makes for the PSS2018 and it makes for a very clean and high-current capacity connection. but it depends on having all the signals on one Sbus

I think if you want a "pure" SBus setup, the iGyro is really the only sensible way to go...since as far as I know it's the only gyro with Sbus out.

Dave
Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wayne,

It was S in from the rx to the Cortex SBE out of the Cortex to the rest of the plane, but because I can't hook up the rest of the channels from the SBE, it doesn't work. I could try Dave's suggestion as I have a SBD here, I just think it's a bit too much at this point to try and make it work, but it may not work based on what I experience earlier with two sbus inputs which goes to your second point.

I hooked it up initially as you stated using a hub, and plugging the SBE & lead from the rx into the hub, but it caused problems with the entire system (locking) because it was getting two different inputs causing "confusion". It is all detailed a page or two back when I started testing.

If you want to discuss on the phone (easier), PM your number.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George
Wayne,

It was S in from the rx to the Cortex SBE out of the Cortex to the rest of the plane, but because I can't hook up the rest of the channels from the SBE, it doesn't work. I could try Dave's suggestion as I have a SBD here, I just think it's a bit too much at this point to try and make it work, but it may not work based on what I experience earlier with two sbus inputs which goes to your second point.

I hooked it up initially as you stated using a hub, and plugging the SBE & lead from the rx into the hub, but it caused problems with the entire system (locking) because it was getting two different inputs causing "confusion". It is all detailed a page or two back when I started testing.

If you want to discuss on the phone (easier), PM your number.
I think the bit about connecting both the SBE and the receiver into the hub explains part of the problem. The SBE provides an SBUS output as does the receiver. I believe the Hub takes a single S Bus input and provides multiple S Bus outputs to be distributed to different parts of the airplane.

Connecting the receiver S Bus to the Hub's S Bus input and one of the hubs S Bus outputs to the Cortex and a second Hub S Bus output to the rest of the airplane to distribute the non-stabilized channels should work. The Ailerons,Elevators and Rudder would be connected to the stabilized S Bus coming from the SBE, which is separate from the other, non-stabilized S Bus for everything but the Ailerons, Elevators and Rudder.

I agree, it gets complicated very quickly and a device that takes a single S Bus in and provides a single S Bus out with the Ailerons,Elevators and Rudder stabilized and the rest passed along "as is" would be a much simpler way of doing things. Still, if you were desperate enough to use a Cortex AND S Bus, I think it could be made to work with enough effort..

Last edited by wfield0455; 03-06-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Gents,

I just installed the Cortex and the only 'good' way to do it was to mount it 'backwards' (i.e. plugs to rear vs front). I know I can adjust if via computer, but that's a PITA. Can I just reverse the control throw direction during the setup procedure to set correct directions (i.e. pull up instead of push down and vice versa)? I know this works, but I'm wondering about third order effects. Common sense says it should work, but I've had a beer...

Also, anyone have any recommended throws for an Electra? I'm currently set up for 30% gyro on (35% on gyro menu in a 12x since 50% actually equals 0% gyro with the second bank disabled) gear up and 44% gyro on (or 28% on gyro menu) for takeoff and 50% gyro on (25% in the menu) for landing flap. Thoughts?

Dave
Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ozief16
Gents,

I just installed the Cortex and the only 'good' way to do it was to mount it 'backwards' (i.e. plugs to rear vs front). I know I can adjust if via computer, but that's a PITA. Can I just reverse the control throw direction during the setup procedure to set correct directions (i.e. pull up instead of push down and vice versa)? I know this works, but I'm wondering about third order effects. Common sense says it should work, but I've had a beer...

Also, anyone have any recommended throws for an Electra? I'm currently set up for 30% gyro on (35% on gyro menu in a 12x since 50% actually equals 0% gyro with the second bank disabled) gear up and 44% gyro on (or 28% on gyro menu) for takeoff and 50% gyro on (25% in the menu) for landing flap. Thoughts?

Dave
I have just installed the Cortex in the BobCat the same way as yours. Only took about 1 Min or less to plug the USB chord supplied, click and change the direction of the gyro. Nothing complicated or PITA. I'll let others comment on the Electra settings.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

DrV,

You just opened the stupid-questions can!

CAn I use a Mac? Do I have to install software?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, no stupid question at all. I don't think this will work on a mac but you can try if you have parallel (I think that's what's its called, I don't have a MAC). yes you have to download the software and it's very simple to do. Follow this link. http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/

Go down the page a bit and you will see Cortex Software. It's also best to have the Firmware of your gyro up to date. When you download and run the software you can do the firmware update from within the program once you run it. It will find the file and automatically updated the cortex. It's pretty self explanatory once you run the program but there are instructions that you can also reference.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will run on a MAC when using Parallels or any similar emulator. The software needs to think it's on a Windows machine. That's all.

Regarding the gyro mount question, I do not think that the gyro controls will do what you want them to if not setting the correct mounting orientation! Try it if you like, you will see when tilting the machine and testing the stick inputs afterwards.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:16 AM
jayshere

Hey guys. Good thread.

Ive read the whole thing learning lots about the cortex.

And ns so far it seems to be an awesome gyro. I picked one up last week and will be installing it in my skymaster 1/6 F-16. My only complaint is the thought of running all my power for the 5 servos through 2 power wires. But then again it's a jet and I won't be banging sticks using all sorts of controls at the same time. I may splice in the power wires for the servos. Anyone done this?

Im wondering if anyone knows if my set up is possible on the cortex. I've set up 2 flight modes. Normal mode is regular surfaces doing the regular stuff. The second flight mode makes the plane fly as a ailevator setup. Blanks the ailerons out and I have a switch that I can deploy the ailerons down as flaps.

Im wondering if I can have stabilization on both flight modes. Or am I just going to have to pick one?

radio I'm using is a Jeti ds16
Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Jay on my F22 I have the dual rudders on a Y and took power direct from the receiver to the servos and only the signal wire goes through the cortex. So yes you can give them their own power.

For the F16... I am flying a 1/6 BVM F16 and it has the gyro on the tailerons. I hate the gyro on the tailerons because on the roll axis the gyro seems to not keep up. Put the gyro on the ailerons and its perfect. I fly it with tailerons and ailerons with some flap but I dont use much flap it really does not need any. So my advice would be to install the gyro on the ailerons. You can still program flapperons on it and tailerons also but dont blank the ailerons out. If you blank the ailerons out when using the tailerons the gyro wont sense your rolling and hold the aircraft straight and fight you..... Dont ask me how I know lol.

Originally Posted by jayshere
Hey guys. Good thread.

And ns so far it seems to be an awesome gyro. I picked one up last week and will be installing it in my skymaster 1/6 F-16. My only complaint is the thought of running all my power for the 5 servos through 2 power wires. But then again it's a jet and I won't be banging sticks using all sorts of controls at the same time. I may splice in the power wires for the servos. Anyone done this?

Im wondering if anyone knows if my set up is possible on the cortex. I've set up 2 flight modes. Normal mode is regular surfaces doing the regular stuff. The second flight mode makes the plane fly as a ailevator setup. Blanks the ailerons out and I have a switch that I can deploy the ailerons down as flaps.

Im wondering if I can have stabilization on both flight modes. Or am I just going to have to pick one?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 AM
jayshere

Hey Gunradd,

thanks for the quick reply. Good to see someone else using a cortex on basically the same plane. I heard it didn't much flap to slow down.

So you say I should keep the ailerons active on all modes? Or just when I have the cortex active? Did you change any of the parameters in the cortex on your PC?

Haha I bet that would have had you reaching for the mode/gyro switch pretty quick. Would have been quite the unsettling feeling trying to turn and the gyro fighting you lol.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the cortex on my F22. The F16 has a eagle tree but similar set up.

But yes I would leave the ailerons active with the gyro on the ailerons. Like I said the gyro on this F16 is on the tailerons and it does not react to roll near as crisp in windy conditions. Ailerons are farther out from the aircraft center line and are a better choice for the gyro to control the roll axis.

Hey Gunradd,

thanks for the quick reply. Good to see someone else using a cortex on basically the same plane. I heard it didn't much flap to slow down.

So you say I should keep the ailerons active on all modes? Or just when I have the cortex active? Did you change any of the parameters in the cortex on your PC?

Haha I bet that would have had you reaching for the mode/gyro switch pretty quick. Would have been quite the unsettling feeling trying to turn and the gyro fighting you lol.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey guys. Good thread.

Jay this should not be a problem. Simply verify the controls are being stabilized correctly in each flight mode.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:18 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Jay this should not be a problem. Simply verify the controls are being stabilized correctly in each flight mode.
I'm curious how the Cortex would be able to determine if it should stabilize the tail as ailevators or just plain elevators. Since the Cortex learns the behavior of all stabilized control surfaces during setup, it seems to me it's going to learn to stabilize the surfaces using which ever flight mode is selected during setup. Still, I've been wrong before and if that's the case now, I'd love to hear an explanation of how it would be done.

Wayne
Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Jay when you do the learning step have the radio set to the Ailevator mode it's as simple as that.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the Cortex do two ailerons,one elevator, and two rudders?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reever45
Yes it will. No problems.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay when you do the learning step have the radio set to the Ailevator mode it's as simple as that.
I'm having a little trouble understanding how this would work but would this not always apply roll correction to the tail, even when in the 'normal' flight mode? This is fine if that is what is required but, unless I'm missing something, it won't allow the Cortex to stabilise the ailerons when the model is in the 'normal' flight mode.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM
wfield0455

And then it will always make corrections using Ailevators, regardless of the current flight mode won't it? The Gyro has no concept of flight modes other than what it sees during setup..
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Reever45
The Cortex has 5 stabilized outputs. It doesn't care what they are, it will learn whats connected where during the setup/learning sequence.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Reever45
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The Cortex has 5 stabilized outputs. It doesn't care what they are, it will learn whats connected where during the setup/learning sequence.
That's what i thought, just wanted to double check
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM
jayshere

Thanks for all the tips guys,

Wayne, I Would have to agree with you. The gyro doesn't have any idea of the different flight modes. So what I'm going to do as suggested above. Is have a normal mode and a ailevator mode. But simplily keep the ailerons active in all modes. I haven't flown the model yet. And once it does its maiden I may just decide what mode to use permanently.

lll be setting the cortex up in the next week or so. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.
One last question. If in ailevator mode, I'm still using ailerons. Would I set it up in ailevator mode. Then manually select the ailerons on the PC?
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 AM
wfield0455

Thanks for all the tips guys,

Wayne, I Would have to agree with you. The gyro doesn't have any idea of the different flight modes. So what I'm going to do as suggested above. Is have a normal mode and a ailevator mode. But simplily keep the ailerons active in all modes. I haven't flown the model yet. And once it does its maiden I may just decide what mode to use permanently.

lll be setting the cortex up in the next week or so. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.
One last question. If in ailevator mode, I'm still using ailerons. Would I set it up in ailevator mode. Then manually select the ailerons on the PC?
If you setup in Aileron and Ailevator mode, the Cortex will always make corrections using both Ailerons and Ailevators as it learns control movements from the transmitter during setup.
If you set it up in Aileron only mode, when you fly in Aileron and Ailevator mode the Cortex will make corrections using normal Ailerons and elevators but your control inputs which make the tail act as Ailevators will still be passed through. So if the plane is correcting a roll it will only apply ailerons but your stick inputs will still control both Ailerons and Ailevators. Gets kind of confusing so I'd just try it out and see. Once you've completed setup, you should be able to rotate the plane about on a stand, etc and see how it reacts easily enough.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:52 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have a question, which I believe I know the answer too, but want to make sure Im not missing something. Putting a cortex in My electra, with a 921 receiver. Currently has all the channels on the receiver used up. Im guessing I have to upgrade my receiver so I have an extra channel for the aux/gain wire correct??
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KFX450
have a question, which I believe I know the answer too, but want to make sure Im not missing something. Putting a cortex in My electra, with a 921 receiver. Currently has all the channels on the receiver used up. Im guessing I have to upgrade my receiver so I have an extra channel for the aux/gain wire correct??
Since the 921 cannot do PPM output, yes, need to upgrade to the small 10 channel for example, or a 12.. If you have a receiver than can do PPM, you can pass 7 channels to the cortex and it will pass thru throttle and aux.. giving you a couple channels to work with.. but the receiver has to have the ability to sequence more channels like the jeti or futaba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.