Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes
Old 06-30-2015, 06:54 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you look at always is in flight direction and where the socket side is facing to.
But I agree that your mounting spot makes this a bit weird.
Would love to be at JOK too, but cannot make the trip. I assume Danny (F1 Rocket) will be there though.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys I've just set up a Cortex in one of my jets and notice I get some mild servo buzz even when the plane is perfectly still. I've got other gyro brands that don't do this. I was wondering if this is normal - and of no issue, with a Cortex? Otherwise it seems to be functioning correctly after the setup phase, no issues there and no strange servo motions. I'm only using "rate" mode at this point and all my gyro compensated servos are high end JR digital in this jet (servos do not buzz when not going through the Cortex). Have not flown it yet, wanted to get some experienced thoughts on the servo buzzing before flight.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 AM
DEMONjoe

This is no problem at all. Modern super fast servos can make all gyro actions visible, even on the desk. A control loop does not know any '0' but is always in action.
The faster the servo, the better you can notice this.
So no worries, it will all be fine up in the air.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:10 AM
Eddie P

Thank you for the quick response Joe!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Hi guys I've just set up a Cortex in one of my jets and notice I get some mild servo buzz even when the plane is perfectly still. I've got other gyro brands that don't do this. I was wondering if this is normal - and of no issue, with a Cortex? Otherwise it seems to be functioning correctly after the setup phase, no issues there and no strange servo motions. I'm only using "rate" mode at this point and all my gyro compensated servos are high end JR digital in this jet (servos do not buzz when not going through the Cortex). Have not flown it yet, wanted to get some experienced thoughts on the servo buzzing before flight.

Hi Eddie

As Joe stated this is completely normal. I was concerned about the same thing first time I installed the cortex. Make sure you down load the latest firmware for the cortex. It "calms the jitters".

http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/
Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Eddie P

Good to know. I did not order the "cable" since I read so many reports that people like the Cortex because you don't have to get into the programming. But hey, it is what it is with these little electronic contraptions; and it's typically easy to use these firmware and setup programs anyway. I'll get the plug/cable and download the latest version, thanks for the heads up Now I will be able fine tune the relative axis rates too if necessary.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:35 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Its neat to be able to access it to really tweak and fine tune it, but for most people, if you mount it the normal orientation and go through the learning procedure correctly, about all you need is two or three flights to get your gain numbers down and you're done.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:22 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in progress of mounting Cortex in my Grumania Me 262. The plane is known for two jet engines placed well below axe of the plane and much pitch up and down with various throttle settings.

any suggestion of how to setup the Bavarian? Rate , Hold or good suggestions are appreciated!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Rate, you don't want to go flying a jet around in hold

Other than that, mount it, have it learn your controls, then fly it with the gain on a slider, start at 0 and increase the gain till it settles down the elevator axis without any oscillation.

Oh ya, post a picture, sounds cool!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	2108628   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	2108629   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	2108630  
Old 07-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Misha Javornik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everybody, I have been following this threat and have a couple of questions. Purchased two Cortex gyros but need some help setting them up. Have an Ultra lightning with two elevator servos, two aileron servos. How would you connect this to de gyro? Does it make a difference if you connect the right aileron or the left? Not sure if I should connect the elevator to the gyro but would like to have it on ailerons and rudder?

Thank s
Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hola Misha, como le va? No it doesn´t make difference.. just plug the aleirons in the cortex, two elevators and rudder leads as they are plugged into the rx, and plug the cortex leads into the rx, with the switch mode lead in a aux channel. Perform the calibrating sequence and you are good to go, after checking everything moves as it is supposed to.. Simple as that.

Cortex are sweet.. from Viperjets thru giant scale j3´s
Old 07-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Misha Javornik

Hola Enrique, estas usando uno de estos en tus aviones?
Old 07-21-2015, 02:44 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I am using it in my viperjet, and also set and flew it on another SM viperjet and a 35% j3 from a friend of mine. We liked it very much as It works great. In calm days it almost makes no difference in both planes, but in windy, and turbulent days we often have at our club it makes all the difference.

Using about 40% gain in the Viperjet, about half the exponential we used to fly without this gadget,and always in normal mode (no heading lock).
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

I have gone through the tread but maybe I just missed it. I am trying to set up my gyro on a dx18. I want to set it up much like it was set up on my 12x. This being gyro %ages are preset and work on my flap switch (switch D). I don't see a way to do this with the dx18. I have in the gyro menu got it to accept switch D but now how do I get the gyro to accept the values I want to put in. Any one who has setup the cortex on a dx18 please chime in.
Thanks
George
Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Gordon W

I had the same problem. I wasted a whole frustrating day trying to get the DX18 gyro function to work with my Cortex in a similar way to you want, only continuously variable via the left lever.. Then I asked how to do this on the RCG DX18 thread. The answer I got from Andy at Horizon was :

The gyro functions in the DX18 are designed to provide Stick Priority (ie, gain varies according to input stick position).

If you're just controlling a gyro with a fixed value, just assign the lever to the desired channel. You don't even need to use the gyro function.

Andy

So the way to go is abandon the DX18 gyro functions, assign a channel to your Cortex, set up the travel limits to get the percentages you want and control that channel with your flap switch.

Here's what I did to get my Cortex to work with the left lever on channel 4 between -30% and 0%:

1. Adjust AUX4 channel travel to +15 to -15.

2. Offset AUX4 sub trim by +58 in this case to shift the desired AUX4 range into the -ve bank - the sub trim doesn't seem to work on the same percentage rate as the channels.

3. Reverse the LLv direction .

The result is gyro gain range from -30% to 0% controlled by the left lever position.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon W; 07-25-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Thanks Gordon
I see what your are saying but I don't think that is going to work in my case. I want the gain to increase in set %ages as I increase the throw in my flaps. In in other words no flap little gyro control. Full flap would have the most. It works very well on my 12x but can't seem to find a way to make it work on the 18.
I have turned off the gyro function on the radio as you suggested now I guess I will have to play with it. Thanks for the advise.
George
Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Gordon W

Edit: This works, but post #426 has an easier and better method

I'll end up using the flap control like you George, but will experiment with varying the gyro sensitivity in flight first using the left lever.

Here’s one way to set up the Cortex using the flap switch, which I checked today. I assume you don’t want to use HOLD, and want only NORMAL stabilisation.

In the flap menu, flap settings are not affected by the gyro setting up described below, but suppose we’ve chosen pos 0: 0%; pos 1: 30%; and pos 2: 100% for flaps.

To practice the setting up, pick an empty memory and let the Cortex be on AUX4 channel. Decide on the gyro percentages to correspond with flap switch settings. For instance, zero flap = -5% gyro, take-off flap = -15% gyro, full flap = -55% gyro. That is a gyro range of -50%, with 10% gyro change between 0% and 30% flap, and 40% gyro change between 30% and 100% flap.

Using the 3-position flap switch, you want pos 0 to correspond with -5% gyro, pos 1 with -15% gyro, and pos 2 with -55% gyro. However, to make the switch centre pos1 position correspond with -15%, you need first to operate channel AUX4 using a control with an identifiable centre position, such as left lever (LLv) which pings at its centre, or the knob. I prefer the lever.

So go to channel select, and make LLv the control for AUX4.

Then go to TRAVEL in servo setup and set the range from 0% to +(15 – 5) = +10%, and 0% to -(55 – 15) = -40%. So on one side of LLv centre the AUX4 goes 0% to +10%, and the other side it goes 0% to -40%.

Then go to SUB TRIM in servo setup, pull or push LLv to one end so that it’s showing +10%, and adjust the SUB TRIM so that the +10% value is moved across zero to -5%. This means that the LLv centre position will now be -15%, and the full throw position will be -55%.

Now go back into channel select and make Switch D the control for AUX4. You might need to go back into servo setup and reverse the AUX4 channel to get the endpoints to correspond with the pos 0 and pos 2 settings.

Then check that the flap settings have not been interfered with during gyro setting up.

I seem to remember having to use this kind of logic to set up my JR 10X with a gyro, but it’s a while since I switched over to Spektrum.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon W; 07-28-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: A better method in post # 426
Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Misha Javornik

Just installed the cortex on my Lightning. Set up is as follows.
A – Right aileron B- Right Elevator C- Ruder D- Left Aileron E-Left elevator
Ran the setup and got everything to work ok but my axis on ruder is inverted.
Hocked up the pc and couldn’t find a way to reverse this. Ran through the setup again and to get the ruder going the right way, instead of giving right ruder the left did it backwards left ruder two green light then right ruder one green light. Is this the correct way .?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Had a brain fart earlier, sequence is ail , ele , rudder pull the plug power down and then power up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	2111433  

Last edited by Bob_B; 07-27-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Misha Javornik

Well I am confused now. Manual shows two red lights, then Right ail two greens, then Left Ail one green, then full down Two greens full up one green , Right rudder two greens left one green then neutral many greens ,power off, remove bind plug, power up wait for two bumps and with gyro in bank one check for correct compensation
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Misha Javornik

does it make a diference if you remove the bind plug out before powering down?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Gordon W

I guess that you've already checked, Misha, but here goes anyway

Section 9 of the manual states: If the surfaces deflect incorrectly, either the setup process has been unsuccessful or the installation orientation of the device is incorrect (or the transmitter was already incorrectly programmed prior to setup)

You do need to pull the jumper before powering down. From section 5 of the manual: • If the jumper is pulled out before the end of the setup, the system’s condition is undefined. Repeat setup.

Last edited by Gordon W; 07-28-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 AM
Misha Javornik

Hi Gordon, worked on this last night and figured it out. Was one step ahead of the sequence , all works fine now and will fly it this weak end.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.