Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Demon Cortex Gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Misha and good flying!

Hey George, forget my post #419. Here's the best way to set up your Cortex with a DX18!

1. Set up the Flap System for the 3 switch settings you want. I'll assume Pos0 = zero flap, with corresponding minimal gyro gain of -5%, Pos1 = take-off flap with corresponding medium gyro gain of -20%, Pos2 = landing flap with greatest gyro gain of -35%.

2. Choose Cortex gain channel. I'm using AUX4.

3. In System Setup, select DIGITAL SWITCH SETUP.

4. With the roller, highlight "Select" and click. Then roll to Switch D (the flap switch).

5. Then sequentially highlight and adjust the Pos0, Pos1 and Pos2 percentages, eg from above, -5%, -20%, -35%

6. Then scroll down to "Channel" and select AUX4 or whatever you're using.

That's it! Check on the Monitor Screen that AUX4 responds to your chosen percentages, then check gyro action and flap operation.

This setup will be easier to adjust at the field than my previous effort.

Hope this helps

Gordon
Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Good stuff Gordon!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

I tried to read through most but may have missed this. Question is:

If I elect to use banks (I would like to in order to disable the NW steering while the gear is up), will I lose the ability to control gain with a knob or with airspeed (JETI)?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The simple answer is NO.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
The simple answer is NO.
OK... so I can have one bank with fixed gains controlled by flight mode and another bank where gain is controlled by a gain channel.

So, to make this possible the Cortex must read the bank selection off one channel and gain off a separate channel?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Bob_B

No I think you are getting this confused. You have the ability to choose Bank I or bank 2 and to turn off the gyro function on your NG in either bank, and you could have a fixed gain based on a switch position and then have a knob that gives you a varible rate (V/R) would allow you to increase or decrease the switch position but It would affect both banks in the same manner.

It might help if you describe what you are trying to do exactly.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyness
OK... so I can have one bank with fixed gains controlled by flight mode and another bank where gain is controlled by a gain channel.

So, to make this possible the Cortex must read the bank selection off one channel and gain off a separate channel?
I'll give you an example with Switch SB as the gear switch and SF as Cortex Enable switch. This will allow you to select bank 1 (no steering) or bank 2 (steering enabled), and tune each with a knob or disable the Cortex completely using switch SF.

For your DS16, do the following:
1) Create a Logical switch L1, named Bank 1, SF AND SB (in the gear down position).
2) Create a Logical switch L2, named Bank 2, SF AND SB (in gear up position)
3) Create a Logical Switch L3, named Bank Select, L1 MULTI L2
4) In Function Assignment select L3 for Gyro sens and press the Prop and Centr buttons to make it as a proportional control

Go to Fine Tuning, Gyro settings and verify that if SF (or switch of your choice) is in the off position the switch field reads Position 2, with a value of 0. Then Move SF to the Gyro enable position and verify that SB selects between Position 1 and Position 3. Enable the gyro and select gear down, and set the gain to a positive or negative value to select the bank with NG steering enabled and set a gain. You can set the Tuning field to allow a knob to control the gain for this bank and then enter a value in the next field. Rotate the selected knob and observe how the gain changes in parens next to main value. Select the gear up position and repeat this process.

I created this really quickly so there may be better solutions. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wfield0455; 08-12-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Bob_B

Wayne, you truly speak the Jeti Language! I had not even thought about using a logic switch. Need to do more lateral thinking since I switched to Jeti.

Last edited by Bob_B; 08-12-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Max1965

I have an EDF plane which is programmed to apply a certain amount of down elevator at full throttle. Will the Cortex try and correct this?
Also I have my expo set @ 20%......should I do away with expo when flying on the Cortex? Do you need expo?
Old 10-17-2015, 11:26 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max1965
I have an EDF plane which is programmed to apply a certain amount of down elevator at full throttle. Will the Cortex try and correct this?
Also I have my expo set @ 20%......should I do away with expo when flying on the Cortex? Do you need expo?
the answer is: maybe.. if a mix applies a flight control, it will take.. the cortex doesn't know this from your input.. However it could be more or less effective because it will try to correct the climb without the input.. so be ready to disable that mix if needed..

expo... just tighten it up to 12% or so.. at first it might feel mushy with the cortex, but you will find that the model stays where you put it.. I cut my expo by 40% for the final settings from no gyro.. YMMV..

Do you need expo? not really, but make sure you can fly the model with the cortex off, albeit more sensitive.. just in case..
Old 10-17-2015, 11:33 AM
gooseF22

I have shared this a couple times.. My preferred gyro kill on a separate switch:

Mix Gain to Gain at (-100%).. then put that on a switch.. this will send 0 or neutral to your cortex, and the light will turn red in any and every mode..

Reason.. all transmitters use free mixes last.. it will override any internal mixes.. works on all transmitters as far as I know..

I use this methodology because I use knobs and internal mixes to control gain.. its possible to get lost or make a setup mistake when tweaking a model.

What I do on a new model is set the gain on a knob.. the Jeti announces the value, so its easy for me.. then when I get my base value, I load it into the flight modes, and add 5% for takeoff, and 10% for landing..

In the Jeti, if we want to we can then use that knob for a trim, but we can also use the Mspeed to trim the gain.. The telemetry for speed can be converted into a trim command, such as from speed 85-200mph, apply a reduction in trim and gain of 20% linearly as speed increases..

This way you won't ever get a high speed wobble/flutter as it fights to hold it level.. Still experimenting with it, but it has promise..

Bottom line: make sure you can quickly turn off the gain, so a mistake is peachy easy to recover from, such as learning it wrong, or having a servo malfunction..
Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Max1965

it will try to correct the climb without the input
So maybe I would not need the buildt in down elevator as the Cortex would take this control.....it would recognize a climb.

just tighten it up to 12% or so.. at first it might feel mushy with the cortex
Yes....I have my Expo set @ 20% and it is mushy.......I will try 12%. I would like to keep some expo as most EDF are very sensitive without expo if I come off the Cortex for any reason.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:42 AM
gooseF22

Thats what I would do.. try it without, get your gains set, then apply as needed.

Expo.. exactly..
Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 AM
sportflya
My Feedback: (21)

If you are switching from a 12x setup to a dx 18 setup with the cortex gyro, do you have to use the computer to reset up the gyro? For example with 12x no head hold selected, with dx18 will it become active just by setting up to new receiver and dx18 radio?
Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by sportflya
If you are switching from a 12x setup to a dx 18 setup with the cortex gyro, do you have to use the computer to reset up the gyro? For example with 12x no head hold selected, with dx18 will it become active just by setting up to new receiver and dx18 radio?
No.
the cortex is simply looking for a certain PW value for Gain, so you just need to set up the throws and switch for that gain channel to be the correct direction that gives Red light for off, and Orange for attitude values.. It doesn't know whats being input to it, just reports it. Its been too long since I used an 18, but I did use the gyro function, I think I disabled the 1500-2100 Usec side of the gain, IE the plus side.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

I also have a Jeti as well as a DX 18. I always set up my gyro right out the box. I eliminate the heading hold bank and use the three position switch on the top left hand of my radio which on the Jeti I changed that switch to a 3 position one. I always start with a gain of about 70 to 80% for take off and landings and then about 30% but this depends on the jet for normal cruise and high speeds. Finally with the switch in the down position I'm able to turn the gyro off which Danny from Cortx says I do t need but I like to be able to turn it off just give me a good feeling in case it asks up on the first few flights.

Also so I always trim my jets with the gyro off so when the gyro is on it's not fighting itself. I don't trust a nob because you really don't know how much gain you are really using until after you land and check and since I use different gains for take off, landing and high speed/cruise I like to know exactly what number or percentage I'm using and adjust from there.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:29 AM
gooseF22

I use the knob for the first few flights on the Jeti.. the radio can be set to announce the value anytime you move the knob, so it cuts down the gain selection fine tuning to one or two flights.. then I move it to the flight modes once my 'baseline value" is determined.. Funny however it almost seems to be around 30-40% for me Lol..
Old 03-02-2016, 05:34 PM
[email protected]

I have a Aerowork 30% Biplane that I have purchase the Demon Cortex for. The opening to the fuse is from the lower wing only. If I install the Cortex with it face facing to the ground, will there be a problem?

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-02-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I have a Aerowork 30% Biplane that I have purchase the Demon Cortex for. The opening to the fuse is from the lower wing only. If I install the Cortex with it face facing to the ground, will there be a problem?
You would need to change the mounting orientation setting using the Cortex PC software. A bavarianDEMON USB cable is required for this.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM
[email protected]

Danny,

Can I order the USB for the Demon from you? Do I download the software or do I have to order that also?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Bob_B

Software here:

http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/serv...ware-firmware/

PC Cord here:

https://www.demonaero.com/mobile/Pro...e=BD-PCAdapter
Old 03-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Mi-25

There is a USB cord included in the Cortex box...connects directly to the PC and cortex...simply download the PC software. The PC software allows you to program the orientation of the gyro.....

Leon
Old 03-03-2016, 06:20 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yes and no. The new stock doesn't include a USB to reduce the cost per unit especially for folks like me that have a handful of these that dont need 4 or 5 usb cords
Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Bob_B

Correct, the cord is optional now.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:13 PM
[email protected]

Is there anything different you need to do with the bi-plane set up when changing the orientation of the the Cortex face facing toward the ground? I have a Areoworks 30% Bi-Plane which everything (reciever, tail servo, battery packs in the fuse are facing toward the ground. Concerned there might be a difference in the biplane set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.