Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New android based telemetry system for our jets (and other flying things :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New android based telemetry system for our jets (and other flying things :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Hound,
that is something that I (and others) are already looking at
In my opinion, its not an option to look at your transmitters display while flying, personally I don't dare look at it, I'm afraid I might not find my plane again in the sky (but instead on the ground)
Thats why I'm doing all the warnings etc using voice feedback. However, having a HUD display in ones (sun)glasses would be something, lets see what happens in the future
I Probably get away with it because I'm not flying jets, just slower stuff. If I want to change menus I place the Xmitter up at arms length
just under the plane and I can track the plane and see the menu to change it that way. But again it ain't a JET.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent question Gary!
No it does not
How many do you want, and how would you like them to work ?
(This is the good thing about doing this "ourself" )

PS: Jokes aside, this is a very good idea Gary, very nice to get some inputs and ideas from you guys !!!

HoundDog, I agree, this is also how I do it when flying something that does not go like a rocket (I have to get the screen out to an arms distance anyway, my eyes are not young anymore )
Old 09-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Carbon-Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe once again the genius Carsten makes toys..
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carsten,
How do you get AoA data?
Did you make an AoA vane?
I've been working on my own telemetry as well for quite some time.
I also hooked up a small GPS receiver and an SD card interface for FDR purpose.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Carsten Groen

Yann, if you look in the ASSI thread you can see some details. Baaically it is a special Pitot tube with 4 ports.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:01 AM
Carsten Groen

Did some more work on the Android system. Also developed a small GPS receiver that works together with the system (connects via the CAN bus). It delivers GPS positions and it has a very sensitive Altimeter mounted (resolution around 20 cm (8 inches) !)

Used one of my recorded flights (Ready2Fly Venom with P20SX), simulated a dual engine setup using these data (using the single engine data for simulating a second engine)
This now enables some nice features on twin engine jets

Work continues, more updates when I have some more news....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n28znVqEOsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n28znVqEOsc

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 10-16-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:08 AM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cartsten, Super!!!!
now get this ready for those Evojet Ecu's..... want this for my Tomcat...........
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Carsten Groen

Still waiting for some info from them

Something new regarding the telemetry, now it is possible to connect to a small "Bluetooth gateway" I have running. That means that you no longer need to have the small radio module connected to the phone via the USB port !
The idea is then to have the BT gateway with reach of yourself when flying (max distance around 15 meters or so), it will then relay the live data from the plane to your phone !
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Something new regarding the telemetry, now it is possible to connect to a small "Bluetooth gateway" I have running. That means that you no longer need to have the small radio module connected to the phone via the USB port !
The idea is then to have the BT gateway with reach of yourself when flying (max distance around 15 meters or so), it will then relay the live data from the plane to your phone !
Hoping the BT gateway is not a 250 kgs armored box
Old 10-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How about AMT, any news from Ray about the interface?

Jan
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi Jan,
no, not yet
Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Carsten, did I see somewhere that your devices will soon be compatible with the Behotec ECUs??
Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Mark,
If I remember correctly, Oli is talking to them (I'm sorry, but I kinda lost track of all the turbine manufacturers, they are initially interested. Then it takes forever to get information etc from them. Guess the need/market is not big enough for this stuff).
So far, the only confirmed working ECU's are all the JetCats and all that uses the new Xicoy ECU's
Maybe when my device/system is finished they will open their eyes
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 PM
stevekott

Just an FYI I use Carsten's ASSI units and they are amazing! I can just flip a switch and it tells me in an earbud exactly how many ml of fuel I have in the tank. Very handy at jet meets when it seem's like everyone needs to land at the same time.

Don't overlook his gear air pressure sensor. Brilliant piece of work .. saved me from a gear up landing a couple times .. worth it weight in gold!

Only thing would like to see an option for mph and psi so I don't have to convert in my head.

All products have performed flawlessly over a hundred or so flights.

Thanks for these products, Carsten.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Steve,
thanks for the kind words
I try to do my best with this stuff The Android app will have a "imperial"/"metric" setting for this stuff! If I remember correctly from my "JetCat info display" I did some years ago, most people want the EGT of the engine(s) still in deg C instead of Fahrenheit, does that still apply ?

The fuel amounts will be in oz, pressure in psi and the speeds in mph when coming from the Android phone.
I will gradually go away from the Futaba/SBUS2 telemetry, it is just too limited and kind of "ugly" the way I have to mis-use the various sensors on the radio.

The newer systems I will be making will apart from Futaba also support JR transmitters (XBus)

When done, I will only use the data from the receiver "one way", that is only information about the channels position (servo). No data will flow "to" the receiver like telemetry etc.
This way all telemetry will come from the Android device, this enables us to do exactly what we want from a system like this !!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to see all this new gear being developed .. thanks as always Carsten.

For those of us in the old backward "yard-pound" world, as Futaba calls it, yes, we would prefer to have turbine EGT in centigrade .. since that's all we've ever seen we are all "mentally" calbrated to that. For all other readings our mental calibration is in mph, oz, feet, etc.

Dave
Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Dave,
the "centigrade" stuff was explained to me the same way a couple of years ago I will make it so that the other stuff can be adapted to imperial values, no problem
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 AM
GrahamN

I look forward to being able to buy this.
Will there be a function to acknowledge a warning and turn off voice prompt for that warning?
Will it only transmit ASSI info or will it be able to process sbus2 info from other sensors - eg a vario in a jet powered glider?
Where can I buy air pressure sensor?

Keep up the good work
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Graham
The way the warnings are made currently, is the unit will announce the warning twice, and then keep quiet. If the warning goes away (f.ex the airspeed warning) and then triggers again, you will get the announcement two times again etc. Another way would be to assign a switch on the TX that you would have to hit to acknowledge the warning, maybe that is a good idea also (sonfigurable) ?!?

As it is now, no other SBUS2 info is sent back to the Android device, but that might also be a good idea to include the 32 slots of data, and then assign the sensor type for each slot (as we do in the TX) !
It would only be supported for SBUS2 then (and not other TX types)

The airpressure sensor (for retracts etc) can be ordered from Oli from Ultimate Jets: http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collect...ressure-sensor
It will show the airpressure on the TX also (using SBUS2) as well as the Android system once it becomes available
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 AM
olnico

Can't wait to get my telemetry system prototype
Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 AM
GrahamN

I would think that you would want to maybe pause low fuel warning but have the airspeed continue warning whilst below the low trigger point and should go away again once above the minimum.
Someone else suggested that perhaps not having that function arm until that speed was passed would be good so that you would not get readings while taxying
Thanks Graham
The way the warnings are made currently, is the unit will announce the warning twice, and then keep quiet. If the warning goes away (f.ex the airspeed warning) and then triggers again, you will get the announcement two times again etc. Another way would be to assign a switch on the TX that you would have to hit to acknowledge the warning, maybe that is a good idea also (sonfigurable) ?!?

As it is now, no other SBUS2 info is sent back to the Android device, but that might also be a good idea to include the 32 slots of data, and then assign the sensor type for each slot (as we do in the TX) !
It would only be supported for SBUS2 then (and not other TX types)

The airpressure sensor (for retracts etc) can be ordered from Oli from Ultimate Jets: http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collect...ressure-sensor
It will show the airpressure on the TX also (using SBUS2) as well as the Android system once it becomes available
Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Carsten Groen

I get your point Graham!
The IAS is only announced when the speed is above 20 km/h and below the settable point (60 km/h in the example) so you do not get any announcement when taxiing. But the abillity to have warnings with different severity could be a good idea, I will look into this!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Carsten Groen

Just implemented support for JR XBus in the ASSI device, this means that the features of the ASSI device (autothrottle, flaps monitoring/warning of IAS/AoA) will function and at the same time the telemetry data is delivered to the ground via the Android app More video etc once finished, but so far everything is looking good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gpWX0NAOQM
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 AM
olnico

Old 11-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Carsten Groen

A rough drawing of what can be connected to what
Note: AMT support not yet finished
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	System.png
Views:	136
Size:	636.7 KB
ID:	2045561  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.