Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New android based telemetry system for our jets (and other flying things :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New android based telemetry system for our jets (and other flying things :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Danny,
Thanks for the words
The airborne system of mine just needs a SRXL output from your receiver. It will then send telemetry from the plane (engine data, G force, airspeed etc) to the ground. You can then receive the data on an android phone/tablet. If the xg28 would be able to act as a normal android device i dont know ?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello. Where can in get the android app?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:40 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The Android app is available on Google Play.
Under RATS IGS .
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.rats.igs
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Carsten Groen

Sorry, it's not Oli.
You need to have your email added before you can access the app in the play store
Matt, send me a PM with your email address, and I will add you ASAP !

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 02-07-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Carsten Groen

Support in ASSI device for AMT engines. See more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11978403
Old 02-14-2015, 03:31 AM
Carsten Groen

Guys,
I have now opened my Android App up for general download!
It can be found in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.rats.igs

There is a number of new things implemented. I have now introduced the possibility to add 3 different zone types:
1) Airspace (green definition in attached picture). This defines the allowed airspace you can fly in (typically the airspace that are associated with the airstrip(s) you are flying at.
2) Airfield (orange definition in attached picture). Defines the actual runway(s) you are operating from. I have few features in the making that will make use of this feature. Warning about non-optimum glideslope during landing etc. More to come
3) No-fly zones (red definitions in attached picture). You can define a number of no-fly zones, f.ex houses, windturbines etc that lies within the allowed airspace (defined in 1) above) but that must keep out of. No Fly zones can be defined as a square or a circle.

You will get a warning message if you leave the airspace you are flying in as well as if you cross the boundaries of no-fly zones. You can define as many airspaces, airfields and no-fly zones as you want. When the system tries to detect the correct airspace/airfield, it looks for one that is within 1 km of the current position of the plane.
These features requires the plane/ASSI device to be equipped with a GPS receiver, either the Futaba F1675, SBS-01G or my CAN-GPS device.
If you have defined airspaces, airfields and no-fly zones, you can export/import these so its easy to reuse them on another Android device.

If a flight is recorded for later playback, the file is now stored on the Android device as a comma separated file (.csv) so you can actually look at the raw data from the plane in f.ex Microsoft Excel etc.
None of this stuff changes the way the ASSI device works

Hope you enjoy it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-14 11.23.24.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2072924  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Carsten Groen

Just a headsup, the Android telemetry app (and ASSI device) now supports AMT engines
A small (crude quality) video can be seen here (running on sampled data from a Titan engine).
Thanks to Bennie and the gang at AMT for helping with protocol descriptions and testing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G8TCvliZQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G8TCvliZQg
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM
xfghfh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! very nice guys, looks like a clean UI and install. I am not on Futaba or Android so will watch from the sidelines but congrats on your nice project!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 PM
Carsten Groen

Thanks,
actually the ASSI also support Spektrum (SRXL port) and JR (XBus)
In the case of JR and Spektrum (more info in the ASSI thread here on RCU), no telemetry is sent to the transmitter itself, "only" on the Android device (which does not matter much as 95% of all transmitters are pretty limited when it comes to telemetry anyway )
Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 PM
Carsten Groen

And I could not help it, a special message when the fuel is all gone, hope language used is not too disturbing
(Watch video to the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TFN78rGUc
Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli,
Any source of the Xicoy serial adaptor (v10 ECU) available in USA? Can you guys get it?
Not sure ordering Xicoy direct is a safe bet. But I haven't tried either.

Chris
Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Chris Smith

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Still waiting for some info from them

Something new regarding the telemetry, now it is possible to connect to a small "Bluetooth gateway" I have running. That means that you no longer need to have the small radio module connected to the phone via the USB port !
The idea is then to have the BT gateway with reach of yourself when flying (max distance around 15 meters or so), it will then relay the live data from the plane to your phone !
Carsten,
Do you have any Gateway suggestions? There are quite a few bluetooth gateways out there. Probably depends on the CAN-RF connector correct?

By-the-way, has anyone confirmed JetCat V5.0 ECU compatibility with the ASSI yet?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Carsten Groen

Chris,
I will get to this in a couple of months (basically need the summer/flying season to be over ) then I will get to the gateway stuff
If you are a "electronics DIY" you can actually "roll your own" gateway. It just needs to pass the TX/RX from a radiomodule to a Bluetooth module (at 57.6KBaud). I have a prototype here running just perfect that way.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
Oli,
Any source of the Xicoy serial adaptor (v10 ECU) available in USA? Can you guys get it?
Not sure ordering Xicoy direct is a safe bet. But I haven't tried either.

Chris
I think we have a couple couple in stock.
If not we can re-order.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Chris Smith

Just a note:
I attempted to use my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with the RF module connected via USB "On The Go" OTG cable. Unfortunately, the S3 Mini does not have the necessary firmware/hardware to support usb hosting. The standard charge cable supplied with the phone will interface with a PC for file sharing and charging only. On the S3 Mini, the RF module OTG cable is not usable nor are any other OTG adaptors.

Even after rooting the phone, the only solution for the S3 mini will be telemetry through Bluetooth. This is my next project. This is also the case for those trying a Samsung Tab 3 7". Luckily these are older Android items and there are plenty of other devices to use.

Another note: Dreamworks is also stocking the correct Xicoy Serial measures telemetry adaptor for V10.0 ECUs. They stock both kinds so be sure you choose the correct one thus:
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...asures-Adapter

Last edited by Chris Smith; 08-01-2015 at 05:16 PM.