Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What Gyros To Use

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What Gyros To Use

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:25 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What Gyros To Use

Hey Guys, a rookie question. Working on my second jet, and would like to use gyros. What gyros are recommended and what surfaces should I install them on - elevators/ailerons or elevators/ailerons/rudder? Many, many thanks for all and any advice. I am using Spektrum equipment. Chic
Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stricker says run them on everything. Lol. I would use a good quality aircraft rate gyro if I was going to put one in my plane. I don't use any on my personal planes.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Gyro's are always on my nose wheel. I use JR 410. Unfortunately, they aren't available anymore.

I have JR's newest 410 replacement on my nose wheel and rudder on one airplane.

If you really wanted to experiment, why not all surfaces! One of those new fancy Demon cortex, or some other airplane gyro, would be my recommendation!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Demon Cortex. Hands down the best on the market.

http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/prod...planes/cortex/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2029421  

Last edited by DrV; 09-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Pepperpete

Couldnt agree more. Best Gyro there is bar none. Dead simple to setup. Works fantastic.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone, will look into the Demon. Chic
Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the cortex, installed mine this morning and flew about 10 flights love it!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 PM
jetster81

Why do people seem to think they need a gyro en everyday model? Surely if it is built and set up correctly then it should not be required? . But I do see a need in a perhaps some scale type that is inherently unstable by design.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetster81
Why do people seem to think they need a gyro en everyday model? Surely if it is built and set up correctly then it should not be required? . But I do see a need in a perhaps some scale type that is inherently unstable by design.
It is neither required or needed in most well built and balanced models. Think of it as a "luxury" component/device such as parking sensors on a car to assist during tight parallel parking. I don't need it and can park without bumping the front and the rear car. But having the option sure makes parking so much easier. (Disclaimer against flaming: this is merely an example of "luxury" and not equivalent what a gyro does in our models)
I was a non-believer like you until last week when I maidened my Ultra Flash with the Demon Cortex. It made a fun and well flying airplane fly even smoother with less workload on me during gusts and in the landing pattern all the way to touchdown. I also have a BVM Bandit MKII and refused to put a gyro on it despite all my friends and Dustin B. from BVM recommending to do so. Well, after the Ultra Flash I'm installing one in the Bandit. You won't know what people are talking about until you fly with one. Try it and you will see and feel what a difference it makes.

Last edited by DrV; 09-05-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 AM
jetster81

Originally Posted by DrV
It is neither required or needed in most well built and balanced models. Think of it as a "luxury" component/device such as parking sensors on a car to assist during tight parallel parking. I don't need it and can park without bumping the front and the rear car. But having the option sure makes parking so much easier. (Disclaimer against flaming: this is merely an example of "luxury" and not equivalent what a gyro does in our models)
I was a non-believer like you until last week when I maidened my Ultra Flash with the Demon Cortex. It made a fun and well flying airplane fly even smoother with less workload on me during gusts and in the landing pattern all the way to touchdown. I also have a BVM Bandit MKII and refused to put a gyro on it despite all my friends and Dustin B. from BVM recommending to do so. Well, after the Ultra Flash I'm installing one in the Bandit. You won't know what people are talking about until you fly with one. Try it and you will see and feel what a difference it makes.
I am not a non believer by any means but thank you for your reply, it explains a lot.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Like2fly!

After reading Bob B's report on the Cortex on RCG I started investigating aero gyros. I picked up a Guardian but I felt like it was fighting me. I didn't spend a lot of time tweeking it, just abit. Guardian off loaded.

Still interested I pulled the trigger and got a Cortex, popped it in my Slick 51 as a test bed and wow! So easy to set up, It completely eliminates wind gusts and smoothed out the whole flight. Cross wind landings in 20mph gusts are a breeze. I've just left it on stock settings and they work great. We've had a fairly windy summer and the Cortex has allowed me to fly when others are staying on the ground/ going home. So impressed it's staying in the slick and I got another two for edf jets.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:31 AM
Dieselman1220

What DrV stated above is exactly how I feel. I've owned about 15 jets and never ran a gyro. I installed a cortex on my carf hawk and just made a great plane a fantastic plane. Wind gusts are a non factor now and when changing configuration (lowering flaps and gear) the plane just stays solid. My only regret about about it is waiting so long to get one. It made me think back to all the previous jets I've owned and how much better they could have been.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Like2fly!
After reading Bob B's report on the Cortex on RCG I started investigating aero gyros. I picked up a Guardian but I felt like it was fighting me. I didn't spend a lot of time tweeking it, just abit. Guardian off loaded.

Still interested I pulled the trigger and got a Cortex, popped it in my Slick 51 as a test bed and wow! So easy to set up, It completely eliminates wind gusts and smoothed out the whole flight. Cross wind landings in 20mph gusts are a breeze. I've just left it on stock settings and they work great. We've had a fairly windy summer and the Cortex has allowed me to fly when others are staying on the ground/ going home. So impressed it's staying in the slick and I got another two for edf jets.
If the guardian was fighting you it was in the wrong mode.
Put it in the other mode and it wont fight you. It will just stabilize your AC
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I fly nothing but JR I would recommend the JR G370 A. For those who popo gyros try flying a helicopter without one. Now back to fixed wing aircraft and gyros. I learned to fly like thousands of others without the aid of a gyro on any control surface but some plane designs are a terror to get airborne. I'm referring to all those short coupled airframes such as a WWI DR I or a WWII Wildcat. Place a gyro on the rudder and problem solved.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Like2fly!

Originally Posted by dirtybird
If the guardian was fighting you it was in the wrong mode.
Put it in the other mode and it wont fight you. It will just stabilize your AC
Sorry I should have stated, I was in 3D mode. No interest in the Guardians 2D mode. It just felt awkward. Note I didn't spend ages tuning the Guardian.

Likewise I have no interest in the Cortex's hold mode. Only rate mode.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM
geonato

Last edited by geonato; 09-08-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
What DrV stated above is exactly how I feel. I've owned about 15 jets and never ran a gyro. I installed a cortex on my carf hawk and just made a great plane a fantastic plane. Wind gusts are a non factor now and when changing configuration (lowering flaps and gear) the plane just stays solid. My only regret about about it is waiting so long to get one. It made me think back to all the previous jets I've owned and how much better they could have been.
Joseph, are you using any kind of power box on the Hawk? I'm tempted to try a Cortex on the hawk but im running a PowerBox Cockpit with a 6014 futaba Rx and was told i would have to install it between the servos and PowerBox, im thinking it would be easier and a more simple install between the RX and Powerbox and should function the same?
Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Dieselman1220

Originally Posted by Kenrico
Joseph, are you using any kind of power box on the Hawk? I'm tempted to try a Cortex on the hawk but im running a PowerBox Cockpit with a 6014 futaba Rx and was told i would have to install it between the servos and PowerBox, im thinking it would be easier and a more simple install between the RX and Powerbox and should function the same?
No I do not run a power box just 2 a123s and 2 switches plugged straight into my 6014hs