Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Down to the LAST ONE--F-18 Hornet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Down to the LAST ONE--F-18 Hornet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Down to the LAST ONE--F-18 Hornet Kit

Hi,

Well, our in-country stock on the big F-18 kit has dwindled down to ONE. In the case of this ONE, I have it here in San Diego. We will no longer be bringing them over here for stock. They'll still be available for special order, but the shipping charges on that will be in the $500 to $600 dollar area. We plan to still stock major parts (like landing gear, etc.) for that kit for the time being.

The (LAST) kit I have in san diego features the kit, scale gear, wheels/brakes/tires, offset hinges wing pylons (2), and all the air cylinders for gear doors and speed brake. Shipping is around $200 in the CONUS.

Just to be clear, NO WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. We're just adjusting to the current (and sometimes lame) business atmosphere. As much as guys who've had them think our F-22 was awesome, that added up to about 9 people. The venerable old Hornet has sales that justify its continued creation, but not its continued importation into the US by the container.

If you would like this last kit, let me know!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Shaun which YA kits will still be imported to the US continually? Will the F15?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:34 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Shaun,
What is the shipping on the F-22 if special ordered?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Shaun

So no more P-38s, no more F-4s, and now no big F-18s. Hate to see this, you guys sell some great kits

So which models are being discontinued, and which are being made available as "special order". I know of two people who were finally ready to pull the trigger on the P-38 only to find out it's been discontinued
Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

To bad the F117 isnt available special order
Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO!!!!!! what a huge bummer
Mine is in the shop such a pretty plane......if I had the extra cash I'd buy it as a back up right now
Old 09-09-2014, 02:53 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I would have got it but just got a smoking deal on the Skymaster SuperHornet. I love YA, bummer to see that people just don't build like they use to...
Old 09-09-2014, 04:53 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the second to last one. I was going to purchase them both from Charles but only took one. Almost pulled the trigger on that one too. When Charles told me he was done bringing them in, I Immediately purchased one of the two he had in stock. I will be posting a build thread. Possibly the last for the Y/A F18. What a run that airframe had.

Ron, according to Charles himself, you will be able to get airframe parts, just not a fuselage unless you pay the HUGE shipping costs. Stabs, wings, landing gear parts will be available.

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 09-09-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by SkunkWerkz
I have the second to last one. I was going to purchase them both from Charles but only took one. Almost pulled the trigger on that one too. When Charles told me he was done bringing them in, I Immediately purchased one of the two he had in stock. I will be posting a build thread. Possibly the last for the Y/A F18. What a run that airframe had.

Ron, according to Charles himself, you will be able to get airframe parts, just not a fuselage unless you pay the HUGE shipping costs. Stabs, wings, landing gear parts will be available.
you would think that with the insane shipping charge it would be cheaper to find a place in the US to do the fuse layups for that model.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Originally Posted by invertmast
you would think that with the insane shipping charge it would be cheaper to find a place in the US to do the fuse layups for that model.
You have someone in mind??
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Shaun any word yet what will happen when Charles retires? Is anyone taking it over? Any chance to see the models make a comeback down the road?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:40 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
You have someone in mind??
Maybe
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by SkunkWerkz

Not quite. I think you got the third or fourth-to-last one. The guy that got the second-to-last one got a great deal on it through me As for what Charles Himself told you, sounds like it was exactly what I reported in my post....
Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by invertmast
Maybe

Lol,

Call me sometime.
619-944-7574
Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by gunradd
Shaun any word yet what will happen when Charles retires? Is anyone taking it over? Any chance to see the models make a comeback down the road?

Gunn,

We talk about it a little. Though I hope the molds make a comeback someday, I can't see how unless the trend of Hobby-King-quality kits and ARFs being the mainstay for today's modeler changes. For the price to produce and sell a high-quality KIT like the big Hornet, anyone over there can shovel out a box of Future Embers (Justsayin'...) that includes the pipe, tanks, gear, etc. If I had a dollar for every call I got asking for a quote which turned into a "but I can get all this for this much over there" debate. There are only a handful of holdouts who build quality and know they have a small but dedicated group of people who know the difference and will pay for it.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Shaun,
What is the shipping on the F-22 if special ordered?
Tom,

Let me see what I can find out. That kit may not be available even as a special order.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 PM
invertmast

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Lol,

Call me sometime.
619-944-7574

I'll give you a ring tomorrow afternoon
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

no more p-38's either? sounds like that company is slowly dying in the vine like so many others. sounds to me like they aren't going to have much left to offer.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 AM
warbird_1

back to scratch building..
Old 09-10-2014, 05:33 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Tom if yellow wont produce the F22 anymore I hear skymaster has a new one in the works but not sure how long until its going to get done. I have had so many people come to me and want to know were to buy this after I fly at shows its crazy. Yellow needed to promote the product better at events IMO. I love my F22 and I am almost up to 400 flights on it now. Its by far the best kit you can buy.

Tom,

Let me see what I can find out. That kit may not be available even as a special order.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
no more p-38's either? sounds like that company is slowly dying in the vine like so many others. sounds to me like they aren't going to have much left to offer.
Yeap. If it wasnt for Shaun, there would be no product awareness at all. Doesn't help that the owner used to be a grumpy old men back in the day, who really didn't seem to care about promoting his product. But these were very fine kits.
Back in the DF days, I remember the talk at the field was Yellow vs BVM. BVM kept developing basically the same airframe but kept it up to date, fresh. Yellow did not, to the point that the F-16 and Large F-18 were basically the same Ducted Fan airframe until just a few years ago.

I wish Yellow the best. Is not easy surviving the Flye Eagle era. Hopefully the Warbird business improves and helps Yellow stay afloat.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Yeap. If it wasnt for Shaun, there would be no product awareness at all. Doesn't help that the owner used to be a grumpy old men back in the day, who really didn't seem to care about promoting his product. But these were very fine kits.
Back in the DF days, I remember the talk at the field was Yellow vs BVM. BVM kept developing basically the same airframe but kept it up to date, fresh. Yellow did not, to the point that the F-16 and Large F-18 were basically the same Ducted Fan airframe until just a few years ago.
I wish Yellow the best. Is not easy surviving the Flye Eagle era. Hopefully the Warbird business improves and helps Yellow stay afloat.
yep, i get the grump old mad thing. i remember back in the mid to late 90's before charles took over , i called YA to ask some questions about their spitfire being tippy on the gear . what i got was... What do you expect ,it's a spitfire. i refused to buy anything from that point until i heard it was under new ownership. yellow kits to me were what byron used to be only better :-)
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

The YA F-22 is without doubt the best flying jet I ever built. Fast, well built, shame it couldn't withstand a 200mph straight down impact with the ground.......man did it make a big hole, fuel squirted straight up 30ft but no big boom. Burned after the batteries shorted out. Amazingly Eric and the Jet Central guys saved my Rhino. Still brings a tear to my eyes. Not many kits left to build.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not quite. I think you got the third or fourth-to-last one. The guy that got the second-to-last one got a great deal on it through me As for what Charles Himself told you, sounds like it was exactly what I reported in my post....
Oh ok, my apologies then sir. I got mine from Charles a few weeks ago after a lengthy conversation with the man. I asked how many he had there in stock at that specific moment. He said two and quoted me for both of his last ones in stock with shipping. I declined the second one and when I called back a week later to get it once mine arrived, he said it was gone. I don't know if your inventory is aligned with his, I only buy direct from Charles. Unless Charles mislead me, I got the second to last one from his inventory at his location.

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 09-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

We will no longer be bringing them over here for stock.
Sad news. I have built some for others but never one for me. Was hoping to do so when I retire....if I get to retire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.