Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF question for those with experience

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EDF question for those with experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF question for those with experience

So I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Habu 32. Most, if not all turbine guys have gone the EDF route before getting into turbines, as EDF is a milestone between going from the classic nitro and eventually full blown turbines. I'm at this milestone right now.

With that said, in justifying why I'm entering a EDF thread on a turbine forum, what do you guys have to say about the Stu Max system vs the extremerc system below? I'm planning to go with an 8s system. I'm leaning towards the carbon setup vs the steel for weight. But what would your choice be and why?

The two I'm looking at are as follows:

http://www.espritmodel.com/edf-stuma...het-motor.aspx

or

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1327
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Don't forget about Tam's fans. This would be a good question to ask on rcgroups.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a TamJet TJ80 on 6S. The StuMax with 8S would of course be faster but I was basically looking for "good" performance and the ability to take off from a typical grass strip. The TJ80 got me what I needed.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
speed is life

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
?....(snip)...
.......planning to go with an 8s system. I'm leaning towards the carbon setup vs the steel for weight. But what would your choice be and why?

The two I'm looking at are as follows:

http://www.espritmodel.com/edf-stuma...het-motor.aspx

or

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1327
SH
You don't show a location; presume you are in the USA?
- Best note that Esprit's 80mm Stumax shows "on order", you could be in for a really long wait.
- if in the USA you can get fans easily without having to order from Australia.
(BTW - it's aluminum not steel)

You might look at the Jetfan80 with HET700-60 1738kV. Basically 90Amps and 2600watts on 8s

Check with TamJets, Performance-EDF, or Efflux RC for great 80mm fans

Suggest you look at RC Groups "EDF Jet Talk" for a lot more info related to EDF.

Last edited by speed is life; 09-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM
SushiHunter

Thanks for the replies guys. Hoping for more. I'm leaning towards the Stu Max though. I have seen a number of vids on youtube and I really am liking what I see on there in regards to Stu Max products. Only downside to Stu Max so far that I'm aware of is it's a product that is not easy to come by or readily available from nearly all of the on-line suppliers I've contacted in regards to the Stu Max products they are advertising. For this reason I have found extremerc on line and have been looking into buying an EDF system through them. In regards to the extremerc system, the shroud and rear cone material being metal and manufactured in Taiwan does not leave me with a warm and fuzzy quite like the carbon Stu Max system does. I'm worried about cooling between a carbon fiber and cnc metal in comparison. Another little issue I'm concerned about is the blades on the extremerc don't seem smooth, seem to be very rough. Blades on the Stu Max system looks nice and glass smooth like what "we" tend to like to do by polishing intake ports on built up chevy heads and intake manifold. The smoother the surface the better the airflow. Those are my only concerns with the extremerc EDF system.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 09-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Go with a Jetfan, great product and customer support.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:59 PM
ChicoFlyer

Call up Billy D at usarcjets.com. His site says he has 2 Stu-Max 80's in stock.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown Habu 32's with the stock fan, Stumax, Jetfan, and Tam's. IMO, the Jetfan wins the day. Stu's fans are great no doubt but they can be difficult to get. Stock fan sucks and I don't mean that in a good way. Eflite put all kinds of effort into an airframe but then used a sucky fan. It was like an after thought. Makes no sense to me. The Tams I flew was noisy and irritating in sound. Efficient yes, but the sound sucked. Jetfan 80 on 6S with a HET 2100kv or 8S with a 1800kv is the way to go. Reasonable price and the sound is oh so nice!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 PM
BILLYDSRC

Wow I missed that one!! Sorry we are out of stock on all Stu fans at this time.
Thank you Billy D

Originally Posted by ChicoFlyer
Call up Billy D at usarcjets.com. His site says he has 2 Stu-Max 80's in stock.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance goes to Tam, sound goes to jetfan and stumax. Don't waste your time with the extreme stuff in my opinion.

if it was between the jetfan and stumax, the jetfan performs as good and sounds just as good for way less dollars. Jetfan is easy to get and works with a wide range of motors. If your going for blistering speed I would go with Tam he is pushing edf habu's to 200mph.

Keep in mind he habu is a daily flyer and thou a great airframe you will get board with it and want something bigger or turbine down the road. Keep it lite, cheap and simple. I wouldn't even mess with having to charge 2 batteries to fly a jet that small,. I have a jetfan 80 with an het motor on 6s 5000. Flys for about 5 min, goes 135-140 mph,has great vertical and only needs one battery to charge per flight.

I rarely fly it much since I have larger edf and turbine jets in my hangar....
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 PM
ChicoFlyer

Originally Posted by BILLYDSRC
Wow I missed that one!! Sorry we are out of stock on all Stu fans at this time.
Thank you Billy D
Darn! I was tempted to pick one up for a future Habu 32 build myself!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying Tams TJ-80 in my habu for three years now on 12S if you want speed that will get you there, Im also flying the TJ80 on 8s in the e-filte phantom and it preforms well. The units are bullet proof. I heard good things about the stu max as well but never tried one.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don is correct on the Tam TJ-80 they perform well and Tam's service is excellent . here is a video of the 8 cell version I believe it has the 1509 motor and a 120 esc Mine is going strong for 3 yrs also

Ed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMVaJKa8C6w
Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 PM
icicles

Have a Stumax in my Habu. 7 cells. Unlimited vertical and it keeps the turbine boys honest
Yes you will have to patient in getting one, but well worth the wait

Chris
Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go 12s with a jetfan and do 200+ with a Habu 32...lol....pretty bad axx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxEpseS7LE I have the stu max on 6s 5000 in mine and have really enjoyed it....not much faster than stock but way better vertical and the sound is great
Contact Stu maybe he can hook you up I know he plans to get back up to speed making his master piece fans

http://www.stumaxaircraft.com/
Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 PM
SushiHunter

Awesome! Thanks guys for the great info. I knew I'd get the goods on this stuff from you guys on this forum. Cool Beans!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

12s is fast and heavy. My Habu has stock set up and it's at 7.5lbs. 12s has got to be getting near 10lbs. that's alot
for a small airframe. At the altitude I fly at it would drop like a rock. I fly at 7000ft in CO, so stock is cheaper and alot
lighter.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:15 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Another option...
Old 09-11-2014, 05:55 AM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I get Stumax fans direct from Stu. Great guy!
But then, so is Mike! http://www.performance-edf.biz/
Jim
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
tulz161

Hopefully you already have your habu 32 as it looks like they have been discontinued.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:21 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, not to just be argumentative, but rather share my experience:
Use the stock power system. On top of that, either put the ESC in Heli mode or put a throttle delay on it.

The habu 32 doesnt have a heavy wingloading, but it has more than some trainer turbines. If you over power it with some of the systems listed, you wont have a realistic expectation of a turbine jet. Most turbie jets cant "punch it and go". You have to use energy management.
The stock habu 32 power system will require you to use energy management and not get into a slow position you can just power out of with the systems in this thread. If you hit a bump in the runway you cant just power out of it and pull up, you have to learn to deal with it using rudder or other methods , you'll snap in.

Now if the point is to have a fast habu 32, then go for it. But its not the speed that makes the turbine jets hard, but rather the energy managment required. If you can fly the habu 32 from grass and not break the gears you are doing well.

However if you plan to get a true trainer jet for a turbine jet, like a shock jet then it doesnt matter. That habu 32 is harder to fly. I am saying if you want to get into some real sport jets or scale jets.

I had a habu 32 and it was great experience. Not fast but most turbine jets I have are not that fast either. If you take the speed and size of the habu 32, and scale it up to one of my turbine jets, the appear about the same speed in the sky. The habu is slower for sure, but its smaller making it dissapear just as fast as a turbine jet.

I love EDF and when you get into HET type stuff (RIP HET) they are actually harder to fly, and I use my turbine jet to warm up for it!

And please, for gods sake, dont put a gyro on your habu 32. If you need a gyro on that just give up.
Just my .02!

I wish I still had my 32, I sold it back before there were upgrade options other than tam$$.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 AM
tulz161

I agree that the stock system is great for training. I flew mine stock but with a balanced rotor and shaft (super smooth) for a number of months. Hundreds of flights. Then put a p-20 (first turbine) in it and didn't have any problems.
The following users liked this post:
ludansim (01-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM
SushiHunter

I bought the Habu 32 recently from ebay, Horizon Hobbies had about five for sale a few weeks ago. I think I was the first to buy one from this particular ebay account, most were then sold in the following weeks.

In regards to speeds of 200+ and 12S, that's a lot of weight and at that speed, something had to have been modified on the wings/tail I'd think. The factory stock setup doesn't seem like the wings and horizontal stabs would hold up so well under those flight conditions (weight & speed). Even I'm a bit surprised at how simple the wing halves and horizontal stabs connect. Seems like a weak link. Plus no hinges on the stock setup. Hinges is the covering material only to my knowledge. If I was going for 200+ and/or turbine on the Habu 32, those are the two things I'd modify first and foremost.

First day receiving it, I took it out of the box and it looked awesome, just right out of the box. Few days later, first thing I did was remove all of the stickers from the plane. Paint job still looked nice. However, I didn't care for the stock paint scheme, well, because it was just that, stock. I've spent a few hours sanding down the fuse to nearly the factory primer and now I am in the custom paint scheme stages. I'm doing her up in bright yellow on the top and aluminum for the underside. Wings and stabs will be less custom, my plan is to only paint the tops yellow over the red film portions. The bottom will be left original. Another thing I didn't care for was the factory color scheme didn't "stand out" in reference to the top and underside being of a very distinct color scheme. They both had the same colors, just different design. Flying over 100mph, I want something that I don't have to study the design in order to understand what side I'm looking at. Color association works best for me. She's also got retracts and just waiting on power plant. Going with an 8S setup. Should be exciting.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 09-11-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Try the stock system on 7s....

that's a 6 pole motor... it can handle even 8s with burst mangement... stick a TAM heat sink on it and there's some serious get gone in it.... STOCK... without it weighing a ton...

The stock system is ~215 watts to lbs of thrust on 6s... needs to be balanced well to put some stank on it

THERE'S NOT ONE FAN DOING THOSE THRUST TO WATT NUMBERS TO DATE BIG OR SMALL...

Byron Fans do better up to 20is lbs but the efflux suffers as we all know...

Look at the YT vids of the stock 7s.... CONSISTENT 150s

Make sure stock fan is turbine balanced... Tam can hook you up with that

Last edited by erh7771; 09-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
So I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Habu 32. Most, if not all turbine guys have gone the EDF route before getting into turbines, as EDF is a milestone between going from the classic nitro and eventually full blown turbines. I'm at this milestone right now.
Do I understand right that you are getting this setup to just transition to a turbine? If so I would skip the EDF and go with a turbine. Save the money.

Sorry if I misread your post.

EDIT sorry I see you already have one

Last edited by mr_matt; 09-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.