Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine build sacrifices! Share your story.....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine build sacrifices! Share your story.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbine build sacrifices! Share your story.....

Seems you have to sell the whole fleet to build your first turbine. For the average guy anyhow...LMAO.

I did that 4 years ago on a Tornado V2 from Henry.

But with a super busy lifestyle and weekends that had me full of soccer and family events, I felt the need to not let her sit and go to someone who would enjoy her. So I sold her to a guy on the east coast. And now that I have settled down a bit, managed my time a little bit better, I find myself reducing my fleet some to make it happen again for my second. This time I wont be doing a detailed build, but rather get something I can put a little time too and get flying..

How many of you have one turbine in the hangar and nothing else.....was it worth it???

Last edited by Dblex; 09-12-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:04 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with used turbines to reduce the sacrifice but I now find myself with nothing but turbines anyway
Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have several gas, several electric. 2 nitro planes, and this year I bought my first turbine. For me, the jury is still out on whether or not I will ever get a second turbine. Maybe one to "back-up" what I already have??

My turbine has starting issues (excessive flames on start-up and chronic over-current errors). These "issues" remain to be resolved once the flying season is over. This will cause me to send the turbine back to JetCat, which has a less than stellar reputation for solving such problems in a timely manner. Especially, when they tell you what I am seeing is "normal" even though I have never seen one other JetCat display these symptoms, my club's JetCat guys tell me the symptoms we all see are not normal, and I emceed MI Jets where there were a lot of JetCats and did not once see what my jet is doing. Also, I was naive enough to get a turbine that allows no fuel adjustments, period. Yet, I can go out to my gas planes and start them with 4 flips repeatedly. I can fix and/or adjust them at any time, etc.

As far as cost, I have just about as much in one of my gassers as I do the turbine plane. But, I am on the low end with the turbine plane. I doubt I will ever shell out for a BVM class of turbine plane. Guess I do not get enough extra thrill out of a jet to spring for the good stuff!

I enjoy flying basic aerobatics. My particular turbine allows some of that. But given the higher speeds and stress on the airframe, etc. I am a bit reluctant to go beyond what has already proven acceptable for my setup. My gassers have allowed me unlimited potential for flipping them around. One does not see much of that at Jet Rallies. Flying scale gets old for me and most spectators real quick.

Adding a $15.00 can of oil to $54.00 of kero (5 gal), seems a bit costly when you can run five gallons of gas and oil for

Last edited by Len Todd; 09-11-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I didn't have to sell the fleet to get started in Turbines.........Mine was stolen! I was developing a MiG-29 for Topgun Aircraft at the time (Late 90s) when my shop was broken into and all my radios and the MiG were ripped off. The perps were caught and had to make restitution. I bought my first Turbine (Ram 500) with the insurance and the restitution money they had to pay. It took 'em two years to the day, to make up the restitution.

Oh yeah, by the way, I have 5 turbine powered jets now and my go to everyday jet is a BVM KIngCat with a Wren 160K. I have 3 other Wrens, a Funsonic and 2 Ram 500s.

I buy 5 gal of Kero at the local BP gas station for 23 bucks plus a quart of Klotz all synthetic 2 stroke oil added to it.

Last edited by Terry Holston; 09-11-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles Len, from the sounds of it you are dealing a RX series turbine from jet cat. For what it's worth I've been running diesel and I love it. I can get jet a for free but still choose #2 pump diesel for simplicity and convenience.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:40 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

While in my training, I saw a BVM f-4 phantom fly.

I new I had to have a jet some day.

The day came and went, now Jets are pretty much all I fly. Worth. Every. Penny.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:48 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one jet, my first, that I bought here on RCU, RTF. It has served me well for the last 6 years. I did not have to pay a lot for it because it was well used. I still have it and still like flying it. It is not pretty anymore with all of the years of hanger rash, but you can not see that in the air. Almost everyone in the club likes to watch it fly, so I always have the sky to myself. I do not ever fly scale like, I would explode if I did. This first one was literally a 5 gallon bucket that I always tossed my loose pocket change into until there was enough in that bucket to buy it. 5 Gallons of coins is HEAVY but came out at about $4K, the bank teller was not happy about that bucket either.

I have since acquired a YA Stingray kit to build. I have little by little accumulated all of the gear to build it except for the turbine.
I am by no means wealthy, I am sure that I am really dragging down the average household income of a jet owner. Because I got everything over time I did not have to sell anything to get it. But over the years my fleet has dwindled to around 15 flyable aircraft and at least a dozen more in various states of build or repair.....

Last edited by flyinfool1; 09-12-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

My Trainer jet was cheap. I got a used AMT, and bolted on to a cheap Falcon 120. Fly's great, and have under $1200 into it. So... I didn't sell off anything to get into turbines.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:46 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I didnt really sacrafice anything, but all my non turbine stuff became unflyable due to minor repairs needed that never get done. I spend all my hobby time keeping my turbines flying. Last year I only flew turbines 99% of the time.
I took a step back this year and been fixing things, and flying a lot more EDF and props.

I have sold turbine jets to buy other turbine jets, I usually regret that. But I dont need more than 2 at a time, as that is just the right number for me.

On similar note, I've had people act like I am "rich" because I own a turbine jet. My first one costs me under 3K all new. I pointed out that buying 4 $500 foamies is about the same. I see people buying a $300-$400 jet on bananna hobby, gutting it and spending another $200-$200 to make it fly right. Do that 5 or 6 times across two years and you have a turbine jet in $$. I see people doing this and they usually only have 1 or 2 left that havent crashed yet.

Its not about the $$, but what you want to spend your $$$ on. Selling RC stuff is a losing business, and not worth it as you get pennies on the dollar. Save, and buy right the first time.

So it makes sense to not buy the smaller stuff if you want to fly bigger. Both for $$ and time.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE=Len Todd;11878811]I have several gas, several electric. 2 nitro planes, and this year I bought my first turbine. For me, the jury is still out on whether or not I will ever get a second turbine. Maybe one to "back-up" what I already have??

My turbine has starting issues (excessive flames on start-up and chronic over-current errors). These "issues" remain to be resolved once the flying season is over. This will cause me to send the turbine back to JetCat, which has a less than stellar reputation for solving such problems in a timely manner. Especially, when they tell you what I am seeing is "normal" even though I have never seen one other JetCat display these symptoms, my club's JetCat guys tell me the symptoms we all see are not normal, and I emceed MI Jets where there were a lot of JetCats and did not once see what my jet is doing. Also, I was naive enough to get a turbine that allows no fuel adjustments, period. Yet, I can go out to my gas planes and start them with 4 flips repeatedly. I can fix and/or adjust them at any time, etc.

As far as cost, I have just about as much in one of my gassers as I do the turbine plane. But, I am on the low end with the turbine plane. I doubt I will ever shell out for a BVM class of turbine plane. Guess I do not get enough extra thrill out of a jet to spring for the good stuff!

I enjoy flying basic aerobatics. My particular turbine allows some of that. But given the higher speeds and stress on the airframe, etc. I am a bit reluctant to go beyond what has already proven acceptable for my setup. My gassers have allowed me unlimited potential for flipping them around. One does not see much of that at Jet Rallies. Flying scale gets old for me and most spectators real quick.

Adding a $15.00 can of oil to $54.00 of kero (5 gal), seems a bit costly when you can run five gallons of gas and oil for
Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im just now stepping into the turbine world, and cant wait! I never buy anything I cant afford to replace, I would recommend saving before selling everything.

Like essyou mentioned, they aren't that bad when you compare spending on junk Chinese stuff several times over
Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 PM
toolmaker7341

[QUOTE=Len Todd;11878811]I have several gas, several electric. 2 nitro planes, and this year I bought my first turbine. For me, the jury is still out on whether or not I will ever get a second turbine. Maybe one to "back-up" what I already have??

Last edited by toolmaker7341; 09-12-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Have you considered Wren USA which is located in Decatur, IN
Earlier today, we were just talking about taking a road trip and visiting Wren's shop.

Last edited by Len Todd; 09-12-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

If flying a turbine on a high speed low pass doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up sell it your just not into jets.
Agreed 100%.

Even just flying a jet around from my local club strip provides that excitement, the noise, smell, the necessary procedures to make it all happen.

Some people have had a dig at me about the cost of turbine models but most of these same guys spend just as much on an endless series of
cheap, crappy electric foamies or buy piles of second hand rubbish which they fly once or twice then get bored with it all.

I recently taught a friend to fly using his Hangar 9 P-51 & it felt so crude, primitive & slow.

The best thing about this hobby is my friend was every bit as excited with his P-51 as I am with my jets!
It's all about the challenge.

The original question about sacrifices? For me not so much sacrifices but allocating the available funds in one
direction for something I really want to do instead of trying to do a little bit of everything.

John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 09-12-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Len Todd

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
If flying a turbine on a high speed low pass doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up sell it your just not into jets. .... I guess thats why when you were looking to buy a jet recently I offer you exactly what you were looking for at the price you wanted to pay and you declined and have 2 adds still looking for what? You missed a sweet deal on my Shokjet which went to Ohio.
Personally, high speed low passes are boring. Nope a high speed low pass does not raise the hair on my neck. Now, ... designing and installing the electronics that can do it safely is fun.

I have no idea where you are coming from about pricing and not buying jets from you. That was not me.

Personally, Shokjets look like He... Maybe, just maybe, I would consider one if I only flew on grass. Fortunately, I have 3800' of asphalt 1/2 mile away from me. Again though, I never made any inquiry about a shokjet and have no adds out there to buy a jet. ??
Old 09-12-2014, 05:13 PM
M3Baker

I've been in the jet hobby for a few years now. Crashed my first one cause I just wasn't ready. Almost quit flying turbines after that as I had lost my confidence. Fortunately, a good friend who is an accomplished jet pilot worked with me and helped me fix some bad habits. Now I keep two jets all of the time, but I still have the big gasser too. Honestly, I enjoy them both.
I second the comment that when you make a low fast pass it really does make you hair stand up!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:26 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Personally, high speed low passes are boring. Nope a high speed low pass does not raise the hair on my neck. Now, ... designing and installing the electronics that can do it safely is fun.

I have no idea where you are coming from about pricing and not buying jets from you. That was not me.

Personally, Shokjets look like He... Maybe, just maybe, I would consider one if I only flew on grass. Fortunately, I have 3800' of asphalt 1/2 mile away from me. Again though, I never made any inquiry about a shokjet and have no adds out there to buy a jet. ??
Lol. IMO I don't consider the shockjet a jet anyway...
Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by Len Todd

Sorry about that I thought you were the OP he was who I was refering to about the Shockjet and purchase. I really think that your not a jet pilot and why all the sour grapes. Sell your jet and stick to what makes you happy obviously its not jets.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by txshan130
Lol. IMO I don't consider the shockjet a jet anyway...
If it has a turbine its a jet have you ever flown a shokjet? It will do anything your able of its not pretty be is fun sorry i sold the one I had and extra kit.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same started with a $450 AMT 180 in a falcon 120 got hooked now I got 4 turbine jets the next year. But I have realized that there is a stopping point $ I can't believe I got 2 used jets worth over 3.5k. So its time to calm down and get back to my gaint war birds.

I have sold so many of my planes for my jet addiction that I realized I don't have any simple fly planes any more
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same started with a $450 AMT 180 in a falcon 120 got hooked now I got 4 turbine jets the next year. But I have realized that there is a stopping point $ I can't believe I got 2 used jets worth over 3.5k. So its time to calm down and get back to my gaint war birds.

I have sold so many of my planes for my jet addiction that I realized I don't have any simple fly planes any more
Old 09-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Dblex

If flying a turbine on a high speed low pass doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up sell it your just not into jets. I have not had any proplem with JetCat service since John Redman took over. Remember honey,vinigar,and flys a bad attitiude won't get you very far with any company. Kero here is $4.50/gal and DTE type oil is about $2.50-$4.00/qt I use Shell Tellis S 32 oil $2.50/qt in 5gal pails why and where would you pay $10.00/gal for kero? Most sport jets will preform a full AMA pattern of aerobatics and all aircraft have a VN speed for aerobatics thats what the left stick is for. Your whatever aerobatic prop plane can't do a snap roll at 200mph neather can a jet. The tone of your post tells me your not into the excitment of jet and it sounds like your doing it because your freinds do it. I guess thats why when you were looking to buy a jet recently I offer you exactly what you were looking for at the price you wanted to pay and you declined and have 2 adds still looking for what? You missed a sweet deal on my Shokjet which went to Ohio.
Actually Toolmaker7341 I bought one of Shulman's Turbinator's with a heck of a nice electronics package and not cheap HobbyPartz $15 servo's. My experience at the field is that cheap servos don't belong in a Jet. (for me anyhow)So I apologize if you got your feelings hurt. As for flying? well, having an open discussion to talk about choices and decisions made in the past, well..pardon for the honesty. But I fly for me. Only one of 3 jet pilots south of San Antonio. So we are far and few between.

As for economic decisions, my hobby is self supporting. I don't keep more in the hangar than I can maintain and I don't pull from family money to support my flying. So when I sell something to get something else, its because I never touch a dollar outside my hobby funds. Its my justification and economic thinking process.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by Dblex; 09-12-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently lost my first Jet, and I said If I ever crash it I will never get another they are just too expensive,, However 3 days after,, I did what I thought I never would. I am currently waiting for my New Jet to arrive, I ordered a new comp-arf ultra flash,, My wife kinda set my budget, all said and done with the kevlar tanks, and dreamworks gear I am in it for almost 3700. That amount sent me OVER our agreed upon budget, SO to keep the unity in my house, I had to give up something,, I love my pilot 37% edge so that was off the table, However She was standing beside me at the field when a fellow member offered to buy my slick,,, So I sold my 30% slick that was my go to plane, and the one I would fly in 3d events,, Sold it Not to get my new jet,, OH no,, Just to keep in the budget, That knocked off 1k from the jet, I cant believe I actually parted with my slick,,I lost one of my favorite planes, and am still in deep on this new airframe,,, BUT I cant wait to get my new flash,,,,,,,

Last edited by raron455; 09-12-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Dblex

Yeah, kind of where I was going with this thread....For me, I fly with my Dad and my 6 yr old son who made his first solo flight at 4. I keep a gasser to fly with my dad and fly micros and foamy's with my son. Prior to this jet, I sold everything in the shop and built my first jet with everything new from the ground up. I feel your pain! LOL

But with my first I did it over a year and a half with 30mins here and 30mins there. It felt like forever, but was so worth it in the end.

Last edited by Dblex; 09-12-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 AM
John Tancock

Great question,
I would sell every aircraft I own to keep flying turbines!
i do like the technical side of it, but also the great laughs we have at our jet meets in the UK!

Regards

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.