Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Legend quality and service questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Legend quality and service questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I helped a friend with a JL MiG 29 and it was disastrous. The right stab fluttered. I shouldn't say it fluttered, it flapped (about 10" up and down) and the plane went in. Maybe I was spoiled, being used to planes that were designed well enough to have stabs that were inherently stable, but I was pretty disappointed. When he contacted them, their attitude was basically 'Too bad, so sad...'
Old 10-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a JL F-35 here too and I love the plane's flight envelope! It lands so slowly that it's actually scary! Rollouts are typically less than 75 feet! The quality was pretty good but you should go over the formers glued to the glass with a good eye for missed spots. I got mine through Global Jet Club and their service is nothing short of phenominal! (I also had a JL F-22 from Global before the F-35).

I was coached on the flight characteristics by Duke's friend (Club Pres.) that I flew with in Hawaii during the winters. The plane needs a roll gyro because the forward main doors open 45 degrees to the flight path to both retract and extend the gear. I close them after the gear is down. I have my gyro (Futaba 431) set to be on when the gear is extended, as the plane is pretty goofy even after the forward doors close.

I fought the plane onto the ground once when I mistakenly had the gyro on the rudder rate switch after a switch swapping session to accomodate my moving to Tx tray flying. I was able to safely land it but it was hairy for a time as the plane wants to roll "off the ball" all the time, and unlike Dutch Roll it doesn't automatically level itself with each iteration. I was also advised ed to split the nose doors into two side doors as the area of the nose door would take the CLA (Center of Lateral Area) too far forward when the gear was lowered and again make the plane unstable in both yaw and roll.

I suppose a standard 3 axis gyro might correct all this but after fighting with an iGyro for a week or so and having it debilitate the right side of the plane just before it's first takeoff, I switched to the Futaba on roll axis only! The plane is fun now and has a great presence in the sky!

Let me know if you need any other info!

Len