Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Bandit Composite - how to set stab incidence

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Bandit Composite - how to set stab incidence

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:56 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BVM Bandit Composite - how to set stab incidence

Hey All -

Looking for some help with setting the stab incidence on a Bandit Composite...

Double posted on RC Jet Addiction as well but hoping to get a few replies here quickly. Maybe some of you guys with lots of Bandit experience can help out with some pics of how your stab is set up.

Anyway, just did our maiden on our composite Bandit...got it down safely but had some serious CG/stab incidence issues. Had forgotten about the RCJA thread and just now read about setting the stab 1/8" below the fuse saddle (this is the part I am not sure about) :-( Anyway, I had it centered in the fuse saddle and it almost wouldn't rotate for takeoff...needed almost full up to get off the ground. I am guessing this was due to having too much positive incidence in the stab. Landed with a full header (probably aggravating my incidence problem with a forward CG) and barely got it down with full up elev and a ton of up trim.

Any help, clarification, and/or pics would be appreciated as to how to set the correct incidence angle of the stab!

Thanks,
Brian and Scott
Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it back OK..

Some clarification.. Is your model a Classic Bandit, or a Super Bandit.. If it is the former, it can be identified by having splitter plates on the inlets.. These are the oldest Bandits, and had the small issue with the stab needing to be set 1/8 th (LE down), below the saddle.

Roger
Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 PM
txshan130

Hi Roger. It is a classic. Can you explain better the 1/8 in down part? That is where I am confused...
Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK,

Yes I suspect I had a similar maiden flight with my Classic Balsa Bandit many years ago. On the take off, it required full up elevator to rotate, and then required all the up trim I had, but was still nose heavy.. We got it back ok, but it was pretty nerve wracking.

After the maiden I did some net research on RCU, and discovered the mismatch between the saddle and stabs. As you state, it needs to be set close to 1/8” LE down. (I don’t have photos sorry as it has gone to the great hanger in the sky). This is pretty easy to do, if it is built as per plans and you have the adjustable incidence stab. I guess this misalignment is a fault in the plug of the original Bandit Fuse.. It was corrected when the Super Bandit was released, which has a totally different Fuse.

Some other tips I discovered about the Classic Bandit, (which also holds true to My Super Bandit).

• The BVM suggested CG is way too forward. I suggest at least ½”behind this. A quick check. Sit your Bandit on its wheels on a level surface, empty of fuel and remove the canopy and engine cover. It should just tip back and rest on its stabs, nose in the air. (We maidened a BARF on Sunday, just gone using just this method alone, and it was very close). If the CG is not correct, it can be a pig to land.
  • Always use part flap for take off, and full flap for landing. Do not be frightened of the big flaps.
  • For landing, set up your elevator so that it has the full 1 1/8” up throw. You wont need this much throw for take off and normal cruise, but it is essential to have it all available for the landing, hold off and flare.
  • On final landing approach, the model should sit close to level, or slightly nose down (see pic). Never nose high. When you make the runway threshold, try to hold the nose off as long as possible, until you run out of up elevator, and the stick is fully back, the model must touch down nose high. This is the best way to avoid the Bandit bouncing. They do not like to be put down early and fast.

The above works for me with both my Super and Classic Bandits.. Others may have different ideas of course. They are actually very easy to land, if they are set up correctly..

Let us know how you go.

The pics show my Classic on final approach, and my Super in the flare, just before touch down.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48783.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2036613   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).JPG
Views:	212
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	2036614  

Last edited by roger.alli; 10-01-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 PM
txshan130

Great pics Roger! Thx again for the info. Will reset the stab and have another go at it tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Roger nails the landing procedure on the bandits.

Every bandit I've ever flown lands like described.

I like to keep the throttle on and "aim" down to the runway.

Great pics Roger!