Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets & Gasoline DF Engines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets & Gasoline DF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Believe me they are not slow! people have forgotten how fast the good ones flew
+1 Ron

Faster than some of the turbines we are flying.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Mike06659

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess if we got the RPM, cooling, and tuning solved we would have something
Maybe a propjet with the new smaller gas engines would be more feasible but they are gone as well The good old GreatPlanes Patriot, Sig Cougar and King Cobra airframes would be great candidates for these engines and great flight times!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want DF just go glo. You can still scrounge up everything you need and it is not as hard as it looked. An OS 91 with Ramtec or Dynamax was not too bad and had preturned pipes.

I ran BVM 82/91/91R/96. Everything engineered for you. As I said, pretuned pipes were very important. You did not have to tune the pipe on either of these systems.

I don't think gas could ever work due to the heat.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Bring back glow DF!? I'm all about fond memories and all, but really? Do you not remember the oily mess, the vibration, the blown glow plugs, the tuned pipe o-ring issues and the meager thrust? No thanks. Viva technology!
The 'good ole days' always seem to be viewed through misty eyes that can only see the good things but blot out the bad things.

Old cars, old bikes, old ICDF's, it's all the same. If you're the sort of guy that looks forward to the suffering that went along with the
good times then go for it. I found out the hard way with a reproduction of my first R/C model complete with 1/2 A engine. One
outing with a Cox 020 immediately had me on to Hobby King for the bits to convert it to electric!

Models have evolved too, electrics are where the development is happening, glow engines are becoming extinct (except for large 4 strokes)
and the new generation of gassers are only popular because they are a cheap way to get large power. People aren't prepared to put in their
time to get things right anymore either, it has to go first time out of the box, people even get other people to assemble ARF's today. And weren't
ICDF's time intensive to get flying & maintain?

Non turbine jets? Ten minutes labour invested had me flying an EDF with great performance, a Habu.

John.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Mike06659

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for crushing my hopes guys It was just a thought. If battery technology would just catch-up EDF will be even better. I might have to try out the Habu for my non turbine adventures.
Mike
Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I'm with ya bro, I do miss the old DF days in a nostalgic way of course. I have a small F-22 that was designed around a Kress fan and a .25 size glow motor, but with the electric fans putting out way more thrust, I'm going electric (even though I don't particularly like the sound). My avitar is an old Y/A A-4M ducted fan with an OS .91 and Dynamax fan, good times and fond memories.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I might have to try out the Habu for my non turbine adventures.
You won't regret it one bit. They fly straight out of the box just like in the video.
No sorting, no mods, no fiddling, you will have one assembled before the battery charges.

The only mod I made on mine was to change the receiver from Spektrum to Futaba to
match my transmitter. The latest version has a better colour scheme & is retract & flap ready.

You can't go wrong. - John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3gzlT5AGlY