Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EPA strikes again....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EPA strikes again....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:58 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think its an EPA thing or an FAA thing. I think its a State and Federal Road Tax thing.

Diesel and Kero are pretty similar as very similar as far as Octane Ratings go, Like around 20! I've driven my truck around using Jet-A with no problems. Diesel does have a slightly higher energy content than Kero.

In my old plane that had a Pratt Whitney PT-6 turbine the operating manual states you can use Jet-A, Diesel and even 100LL AVGAS for up to 100 hours.

Jet-A is a less refined Kerosene than K1 Kerosene. It has more Sulphur in it (rather less of it removed). That's why it smells so bad.

Home heating Kerosene is usually burned in an environment where the smell matters so they remove more Sulphur out of the product.

I'm using the K1 Kerosene bought in Drums for home heating. I've used the Jet-A but it is some smelly stuff. Contemplating switching over to Diesel but it also is pretty smelly.

I think the smell of Kero is just fine .. it's the smell of fun! But my wife doesn't like it at all when I walk in the door smelling like fun.

So right now I'm sticking with the K1 just IMHO it's the least smelly of the bunch.

Happy Flying,

Steve
Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I could easily get K1 I would use it. I think it runs much smoother in my motors. But the diesel is so convenient, sort of a no brainer.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM
docfly
My Feedback: (3)

I ran diesel in a K60 than switched to kero with a noticeable drop in power. Diesel in my ohio area is a bio-diesel blend containing animal fat and vegetable components. Is that harmful for a turbine?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Tec
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I considered going to the next airport south which is a smaller non controlled field, but there is pump Kerosene available not far from my house so that's what I wound up buying. You may not be able to still buy fuel at the smaller airports either, they guy who runs line services at the airport I went to said they'd gotten the notice from the EPA just a few days ago.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll investigate and see if anything has changed.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:29 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by Vincent
Diesel stinks worse than jet A imo
Amen
Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
Hey Raf, the three legged grub has feelings too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LmfRMeU6pQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went to diesel but went back to kero. didn't like the smell and smoke and the price difference negligible.
That's crazy right der.

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Yeah,

EPA?!? What a dumb idea. Who needs clean air or water anyway.....
Shawn, that's not the point here. Zeeb getting 5-20 gallons of fuel for his toy airplane is not a gross polluter by any means.

Neither am I flying my toy airplane around in the sky, which is about as far as one can get away from the underground three legged grub population that may or may not be in the vicinity.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

would this mean all FBO's under the same rules in the USA?

HMArmaiz M.D.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

A few airports in California have been this way for years. If you call up the fuel truck and ask them to put it in a can, they will most likely not do it.
If you use automated fuel station at an airport with unicom service or the FBO sees it, they may challenge you. Again this may only apply to 100LL. Not sure about JetA.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Been burning kero forever
Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by ravill
That's crazy right der.

Shawn, that's not the point here. Zeeb getting 5-20 gallons of fuel for his toy airplane is not a gross polluter by any means.

Neither am I flying my toy airplane around in the sky, which is about as far as one can get away from the underground three legged grub population that may or may not be in the vicinity.
The EPA has gone off mission in recent years especially when Lisa Jackson was the director but even today they are practically a rogue agency. Clean air and water are things everyone can agree on but they are way past that. They have destroyed peoples lives with their legal actions and unlimited taxpayer resources for ridiculous things people do on their own property like moving dirt from one area to another.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
Been burning kero forever
+1 and I too hate the smell of diesel.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:30 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was up to Kalifornicatia everyone would have to use DEF to play with their toys. The state and most of it's inhabitants haver gone crazy. I really wish they would have voted to secede from the Union.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ravill

Rav,

Oh, I know. I also know that like any other government engine the EPA has its follies and fumbles. I just get a giggle out of how predictable the reaction to those letters is on RCU. It's like there's a law that says if you fly model airplanes, then you have to act like the whole idea of what the EPA is supposed to be about is somehow evil.

Afterburner,

Well said.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 PM
stevekott

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
If it was up to Kalifornicatia everyone would have to use DEF to play with their toys. The state and most of it's inhabitants haver gone crazy. I really wish they would have voted to secede from the Union.
I wish there was a way Orange County could secede from the State ..... It's embarasing.