Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Intravenous bag as fuel tank, why is it forbidden?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Intravenous bag as fuel tank, why is it forbidden?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A practical, negative side effect of the plasma bag, is no external 'start-up' tank sitting on the wing, as well.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by George
I would think there are just too many plane-specific tanks for this to be profitable, but perhaps some of the generic (square, rectangular or round) tanks with internal bladders would be potentially viable.
It would be a good way of making functional external fuel tanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I do understand having a bladder inside of a ridged tank of some sort. But, is it truly worth all of the effort? I do know that Kevlar tanks will tear apart in the air, after my F-18 exploded in the air that started as flutter on the stab. In truth, due to the AMA saying NO bladders, no matter how it is contained. As a Turbine CD who signs guys off, and teaches jets, I wouldn't fly a jet with a bladder, nor sign a guy off with a jet with a bladder. I actually have issues with guys using DuBrow tanks for fuel too. I have seen a lot of those tanks, and truly don't consider them safe. Just isn't worth risking my CD, Waiver, or the liability if something happens and the jet wrecks causing damage and fire to others' property.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 10-13-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 AM
RobinLeblond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... I lost track of the thread during the weekend! The initial objective of the question was not to go over the rules. But to understand why it is like this.
Lance: You had a great point, having a startup tank become hard or even impossible.
One advantage would be to be able to 2 tanks without worrying about one being empty before the other one and draining air in the system (so being able to have 2 tanks in parallel, not in series).
BTW: We have the same rule here in Canada.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 PM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCFlyerDan,
I would respectfully disagree with you on the DuBro or Sullivan tanks. My experience is that they are quite strong and have held up well in crashes... better than the fiberglass and kevlar tanks which usually break apart at the seams. I've had the stoppers come out in crashes, but that happens as well with the fg/kevlar tanks. Unfortunately, they aren't available in the many shapes and sizes that fit our models, and the cost to the kit mfgs to produce the blow-mold plastic tanks in the myriad number of configurations is cost prohibitive. Making a mold to produce a fg/kevlar tanks is relatively inexpensize, so that's why we have them.

KennyMac
The following users liked this post:
Marvinf14 (12-20-2022)
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

KennyMac! Thank you! And I respect your views too. You made me think more about wrecks with 50cc+ size gas models, since I have seen or experienced more of those kind of wrecks. The larger the plane, the better protected the tank is inside and usually doesn't move much off of the wing tube, and stays in tact. 50cc and smaller, normally will get some damage. And you are right, worse is the tank punctures and yes the stopper comes out. So, I concede to the Dubro and Sullivan styles of tanks. Thank you for a polite conversation on the subject.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I would respectfully disagree with you on the DuBro or Sullivan tanks
+1

I have seen a couple of crashes with dubro equipped jets where the fuse was destroyed and the tanks still held some fuel. Tanks were damaged, some had holes in them...but none were split open. Every crash I have seen with fiberglass or Kevlar tanks ended with the tanks split wide open.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is common for tanks to split, wouldn't a bladder inside the tank be extra insurance against spillage and fire in a crash?
Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
SAFETY REGULATIONS FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT