Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is the best kit available?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is the best kit available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ledd4u
CAI jets the best made
I would say that the raptor was probably the best flying sports jet made and structurally the kits were great but the kit quality want great. The raptors needed tons of filler on the stabs to fit and correct the airfoils. All the injection moulded plastic parts are heavy and get brittle. I still love my raptor, and will probably never get rid of it but the kit itself wasn't spectacular. I didn't build the one I have now but the original owner had all the same issues with it as I had with the kit I had.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:21 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FalconWings
I still think the Balsa Bandit is one of the best. Lots of building, lots of prep, and in the end you have one of the best sports jets ever.

David
I agree. I have built a Balsa Bandit and a Balsa Bob cat, plus I have a Balsa Electra kit in stock under the bench.. Great fun kits to build, Honest modelling. The instruction manuals are so comprehensive that even a relative novice could make a fair job of one. Unfortunately, there is no market for these any more, and BVM have discontinued all of them them.

The BVM 80” F-86 (with built up wooden wing) is still available, so I would recommend this to the OP as a good quality builders kit.

I have also built a Super Bandit and nearly completed an F-100D. Both are superb kits and the flying qualities are well known.

Bear in mind that I am unashamedly biased to this manufacturer. I have just always favoured their product, especially the Florida manufactured kits.. I completely understand that others have quite different opinions and expectations, which are just as valid as mine.. .

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2041375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130831_131858.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2041376  
Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have built a lot of kitted planes over the years. Of the jet manufactures I also have preference to BVM kits. While others like Yellow Aircraft and JMP are up there as well. I can't say I've had a better experience with any kit over BVM. I was in Flordia on vacation two years ago and Bvm himslef took me around for over an hour and showed me the factory. I could see then where the money went when I bought a kit form them over the years. I've built two Bandits one each composite and balsa, three STD F-86, a T-33, F-4, Maverick, Viper, Bobcat Xl and my last built kit was an Electra kit. I lost the Electra in a battery failure and ordered a kit to replace it right away along with it I've got a F-80, Viper, F-4, Balsa Bandit, and 80" F-86 in stock or under construction in the shop. I just never liked the F-100, or Rafale or I would have had one of them as well, but I did help build one each of those. In the end there is s couple of manufactures who still make kits now and all are nice some nicer then the others but with JMP only making three planes, and Yellow no longer importing kits It getting slim as BVM is leaning towards all ARFS from here out from what it looks like. I'll keep my kits and enjoy building them.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies.

Avonds seem to be a clear favourite with a lot of people. The Magister looks like a nice model and the price is pretty good considering what is included in the kit.

It's a shame that a lot of people are going away from kits (myself included to a certain extent) but I can understand why. I don't need any more models at the moment but might be tempted with another BVM kit to keep for the future, just in case they become unobtainable