Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Analog servos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Analog servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first I have heard of this also?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

been using 4721,2721 with jr/spektrum rcvrs for years wit a123 and lithium ions with regulators , a123s no regs never been an issue ever ........
Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
if your digital servos can draw 5A you have big issues! 40A total!! The Rx would blow to pieces...

4.8v batteries are only at 4.8v when they are completely flat, they charge to 6v and operate happily around 5.6-5.7v. It's why JR '4.8v' servos are happy at 5.8-5.9v, it's the voltage they were designed to work at!!

its how the servo motor is powered/controlled that makes the difference between digital and analogue servos. Manufacturers have different ways of doing this in both types, some cope, some don't.
The high currents of HV digital servos are why we use power distribution systems. Not using a power distribution system in a giant scale plane using multiple digital servos on a control surface is why people who simply plug into the Rxer often run out of power and crash, wondering why. You may want to consider some additional reading on the topic.

Most 9+ channel Spectrum Rxer Manuals tell you flat out not to use 4.8 V batteries. Wonder why? Also, many articles are published on this topic.

Bottom line: Analog servos operate sequentially and Digitals can operate simultaneously. When using digital servos the current used simultaneously adds up and, ... some of these servos can momentarily draw up to 5 amps. You may not see that level on your current meter because of the meter's refresh cycle time is too slow. But, it shows up on a good scope with a lock. Again several articles on this topic are out there and easy to get hold of.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Been using servo's like 2721's, 4131's, 8231's, 3421's etc on 2.4 in mutliple jets since switching to 2.4 nearly 9 years ago and never had a problem. Only issue I had with 2.4 and any component was with an amplified Y harness in my kingcat when I upgraded the stab servo's to 8611's. Got rid of the Y harness and no issues.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:47 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, but someone mentioned 225MGs. I had three of them fail. One failure resulted in a bad crash. And I am not alone - check the online reviews. That was some time ago and maybe Hitec has fixed the problem by now. But to be completely safe, I recommend you take them out of your twin and smash them with a hammer so that no one else ever uses them.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:48 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duplicate
Old 11-05-2014, 06:59 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMacG
Off topic, but someone mentioned 225MGs. I had three of them fail. One failure resulted in a bad crash. And I am not alone - check the online reviews. That was some time ago and maybe Hitec has fixed the problem by now. But to be completely safe, I recommend you take them out of your twin and smash them with a hammer so that no one else ever uses them.
They are the ones that didn't like playing with my JR servos.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Gee, and Tower sells ARFs and RTFs using S3004 standard analog, 4.8v servos. I guess they haven't heard there is a problem either.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
fly24-7

I have many airplanes that use Spektrum receivers and use both Hitec and JR analog servos powered by 6V NiMh batteries. I have not witnessed any issues with servos and receivers not playing nice with each other. A couple of my planes have a mix of both JR and Hitec servos installed.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:06 PM
straitnickel

Myth, I've had analog servos that center better than new out of the box digitals. some do and some don't, in my planes i can't show you where a digital performs over an analog, maybe if they are operating at there extreme limits something might show up but i dont do that all mine are the size recomended or past that.