Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking for different ways to sequence gear door system in a Cougar

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking for different ways to sequence gear door system in a Cougar

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Looking for different ways to sequence gear door system in a Cougar

As we all know there are a lot of different ways to sequence the gear and doors in a scale jet. But I personally have very little experience with this stuff. The Cougar main doors retract after the gear extends.
1. UP 2 and UP4 valves. A proven system to mechanically do this sequence. But a mess of tubing!
2. UP2 and a simple servo actuated two way valve for the nose gear doors. With some sort of mechanical servo sequencing.
3. EV5, love it in my Hawk but since DW discontinued it I want to avoid buying another.

So I am interested in other ways to do this. Just for comparison. I imagine that with the powerful programming options available in our modern radios there may be some cool ways to do this sequencing in the transmitter rather than buying standalone sequencers but I am open to anything. Light and simple is my mantra. Low cost next.

Last edited by husafreak; 11-13-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You could use a up2 on the mains and this button valve on the nose gear doors.
Vin...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64669.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2047130  
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerbox Cockpit and Jeti transmitters have built in sequencers.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

My DJ Cougar uses the UP2 and UP4 and it works great. Tubing is not that bad!

D
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
As we all know there are a lot of different ways to sequence the gear and doors in a scale jet. But I personally have very little experience with this stuff. The Cougar main doors retract after the gear extends.
1. UP 2 and UP4 valves. A proven system to mechanically do this sequence. But a mess of tubing!
2. UP2 and a simple servo actuated two way valve for the nose gear doors. With some sort of mechanical servo sequencing.
3. EV5, love it in my Hawk but since DW discontinued it I want to avoid buying another.

So I am interested in other ways to do this. Just for comparison. I imagine that with the powerful programming options available in our modern radios there may be some cool ways to do this sequencing in the transmitter rather than buying standalone sequencers but I am open to anything. Light and simple is my mantra. Low cost next.
UP2 and a single action electronic valve (which will come with your kit )

Connect the door open to the gear down line, so when gear goes down and is down, door is open. Then use the singe action valve to close the door. The valve will be in a different channel, mixed with the gear channel and with a long delay. The other option is, if you have a DX18 or equivalent radio, to have the single action with a sequencing program, so it activates with the desired delay.

But to be honest, the Up2 + UP4 is sooooo simple, that I would just go that route

Jack

PS: get a DX18!!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F-104 has a similar setup. I've used the UP-2 +UP-4 on both Avonds Starfighters I've built as well as the Frankel Learjet. Both planes have sequencing mains that close but the nose gear remains open. Sometimes at the end of the day keeping it simple is the best option.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	2047261  
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 PM
husafreak

Thanks guys. And as always thanks again Jack! In the interest of full disclosure I get lots of solid advice from Jack, then I come on the forums because I want to stir the pot a bit. But with Dave and Jack both pointing the way this case is formally closed
Old 11-13-2014, 10:09 PM
dbsonic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, up2 and up4 are my plan as well.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 PM
husafreak

How many gear doors does an F-18 have anyway?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM
dbsonic

a total of 9 comme je souviens.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

What radio do you have?

If your radio is smart you could use a couple of mini servo driven valves.

Simple, cheap, light, easy to understand.

I'm doing sequencing doors using that system.

John.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

This is my Cougar install.
I love UP valves, they are my go to first choice for any sequenced set up, never had a failure or problem in 15 years-But its important the cylinders seal or the sequencing don't work!
I check each ram before installing. This DJ model has Robart and UP Cylinders which are always good

D

Name:	DSC_0288.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	2047314  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:42 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
This is my Cougar install.
I love UP valves, they are my go to first choice for any sequenced set up, never had a failure or problem in 15 years-But its important the cylinders seal or the sequencing don't work!
I check each ram before installing. This DJ model has Robart and UP Cylinders which are always good
Agree Dave... First time I use them and I am really impressed. So simple and no programming. They just magically work straight out of the box. They do need a quality servo though, they need some torque.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

I read your post with great interest, as I am working on a Ziroli Panther. I also have Robart retracts and the UP-2 & UP-4 units. I first made up a mock up of the arrangement so that I could make the timing adjustments to the valves, then moved everything to the airframe. I used colored tubing for the sake of management , I also keep in mind future maintenance and repair, I currently have the air system mounted on to a plywood platform, there will be more adjustments, I also use only the brass "T" from Robart these appear to be leakfree

Name:	DSC_0447.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	2047359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0449.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	4.79 MB
ID:	2047360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0450.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	2047361  
Old 11-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Dave Wilshere

You cannot make adjustments like that really, the capped off lines will give an instant pressure lock to fire the next shuttle in the valve. In use with retracts and door cylinders plumbed the time the cylinder/ram takes to lock and build pressure will be different. Each and every UP set up I have used is installed as used, pressured to expected pressure 90-110psi depending on gear (leg length and wheel weight) If the legs are big and heavy sometimes I crack the retract in (up) needle a little further out for more air. Then go, rarely need to change anything after that! Amazing.

I have used 2 JT valves on my Hawk and CT-114 and DSX-12 programming, but doors all stay open, so simple. My GJC Mig 15 has a UP3 and is faultless over 2 seasons, When I finally build my DJ Hunter it will use a UP3. Its now my favourite supply on the CARF Hawk too.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:39 PM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

DAVE: PM sent-Thanks