Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Need some help with a fiberglass Panther kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Need some help with a fiberglass Panther kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PST Composite Panther

Ziroli Fiberglass Panther

The PST being based on the Ziroli plans is true to the F9F-2 and -3 series of Panthers. I did both my Ziroli and PST in the Blue tail Fly scheme. The BTF is an F9F-5, so the shape of the top fin and rudders are slightly off. the area between the rudders is wrong, as there are two tail lights there. I made a vac formed light housing that is glued over the section mentioned. Also from the Full Scale F9F-4 thru F9F-6 the fuselage is 18 inches longer in front of the canopy. Very hard to adjust with a glass fuse. Also very hard to see on the model so I didn't do anything. The F9F-5 thru 6 Intakes in the wing roots are a different shape, too with vertical fences between the intake and wing. I change them on the Ziroli, but left the PST alone. I fly mine for fun and have never competed with it. Gather all the documentation you can and make adjustment as you see fit. Above all have fun, that's what it's all about, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Coliseum show 010.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2050307   Click image for larger version

Name:	055.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2050308  

Last edited by Terry Holston; 11-26-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I have been told this jet is heavy metal and took a lot of effort to fly scale / smooth

How would you describe the flying of this jet
Old 11-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Terry Holston

Both the Ziroli and the PST with turbine power fly like fast trainers.....Both weigh about 22.5 LBs+ fuel..........with full flaps and 1/4 power, they will float to a nose high landing every time. When you are over the numbers, cut the throttle and let her settle in. I think full body flaps would be too much. I really couldn't tell much difference between the Ziroli with a hopped up Ram 500 13.5 LBs thrust and the PST with Wren mw 54 SS 17.5 LBs thrust. Both about 145 to 155 MPH. My Boomerang Nano flies about the same, speed and feel...............The Panther lands better!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Terry,
Thanks for chiming into this thread-I knew you had some good info based on the Panther's that you built and flew. My experience came from a "deal" that I could not pass up but I ended up throwing the fuselage into a dumpster at the local recyclying center. I was planning to finish mine in the "Bridges of Toko-Ri" scheme and had a plastic kit for scale reference. The differances were obivous after a fellow jet guy pointed them out to me.
I wish Mikes68Charger all the best on competing with the Panther, either in AMA/NASA Fun Scale or Sport Scale. Many years ago I competed in both events at he NATS with my A-4 Skyhawk and had lots of fun in the process.
Happy holidays.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Terry Holston

Happy holidays Art, long time no see........

I had to change the leading edge of the fin on my Ziroli fuse. It was only molded to the top of the stab area, and the leading edge had a curve in it, such that it would have made a big bump where the upper fin met the lower fin at the stab seam. I cut it and reshaped it so the leading edge went straight from the curve in the top of the fuse to the top of the fin. Clear as mud? Also the stab incidence was wrong. I had to make it 0, 0. It was molded with about 3 degrees up in it. Not good.