Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Jet Trainer "FireBird"

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Jet Trainer "FireBird"

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need one to take a 80 to 100n engine. I would buy one then. just think a 110 size engine would be to much
Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 AM
jamesroutledge

It's really sad that a thread about an economical trainer, which would allow guys with limited budgets to enter the world of jets has been hijacked by conceited arrogant morons.
Badmouthing this plane has stopped the flow of info about a really good plane. A friend of mine has one, and it's a real peach. Easy to fly, economical , very forgiving.
Don't let the jibes of guys with too much money spoil your opinion of this plane.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroutledge
It's really sad that a thread about an economical trainer, which would allow guys with limited budgets to enter the world of jets has been hijacked by conceited arrogant morons.
Badmouthing this plane has stopped the flow of info about a really good plane. A friend of mine has one, and it's a real peach. Easy to fly, economical , very forgiving.
Don't let the jibes of guys with too much money spoil your opinion of this plane.
I don't have much money, I have jets because I put my money away. My issue with this particular one is it is yet another rip off of a successful design. There have been many rip off's of successful designs, in the end it catches up with you. They stole this design from one manufacture and the name from another. When you are going to drop a couple grand on an engine the smart money says go with a proven designer that will be there to support you as time goes on. Not another offshore rip off.
Just my 2 cents.

Besides that, outside of the fact that it's not an ARF, The BTE Reaction kit is less money than this ARF. So with covering and glue it would be about $100 more plus your time. You could build an R54 with fixed gear if you wanted to and they are proven.

Last edited by LGM Graphix; 06-13-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Name calling will win you friends here

I dont have a lot of money and that makes the money that i have to spend on jets that much more valuable! I dont want to invest it in a piece of crap like this thing. Id rather invest in the REAL R54 and know that it will stay together in the air.

This thread should be titled Herpes... cause it keeps coming back!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! Back in the day, I would've ripped you apart. I'm in a much better place now.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My issue was with the name choice. Tom Cook worked hard for many years to earn his reputation for producing world class jets. I consider him a friend, and thought using the Firebird name for a balsa and monokote trainer jet was in extremely poor taste. Lots of other names out there. If that makes me a conceited, arrogant, moron in your opinion, God bless you.

Beyond that, the day has not arrived, where I woke up in the morning and said to myself," I have too much money!" I work hard for the money I have. Nobody handed it to me. Thanks for your assessment of my financial status though. I do consider myself blessed, and am humbly grateful.

Lastly, This thread is years old. If your desire was to altruistically promote this airplane, you simply could've left it festering in the archives, where no one would be reading it. Maybe a little self examination of motives, tactics, and perspective might be in order. All the best,

Erik
Old 06-14-2016, 04:39 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Erik, when did you start using words like "altruistically" ? Is Robin giving you too many vitamins or something.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Erik R

Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by Jetkopter
Erik, when did you start using words like "altruistically" ? Is Robin giving you too many vitamins or something.
Yea, your speachafacation has greatly improved.lol
Old 06-20-2016, 09:16 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik R
It is a travesty calling that POS a Firebird. This is a Firebird.

LOL I was hopeing it looked like yours NOPE

Sorry Didn't read the thread,

It is what it is, No thanks.

Last edited by mikes68charger; 06-20-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:37 AM
jamesroutledge

As you guys have replied, I'll start out by apologizing for the use of the term morons. Spoken in haste.

The remainder of my statement stands. To put things in perspective, the average American salary is $2826 according to numbeo.com.
The average salary in many other countries for similar level of skill is very much lower in dollar terms. For instance, a degreed software engineer has an average salary of $2200.

This makes a Firebird like yours ($5000 for airframe and accessories, $3000 for Jetcat P180, $1000 for sundries) a considerable investment. Only people with a pretty high salary can contemplate that. ( not to mention that it's probably not the best "trainer" available. It's fast with a pretty high wing loading)
The Firebird under discussion opens the field to a heluva lot more ordinary folks. Yes, it wont last 1000 flights. Yes, it's not a carbon fiber wonder. And yes it may be a Chinese copy of an existing airframe. But when you make your rookie mistake and hook it back towards the runway in a tight turn, it won't bite and try burrowing a hole, and if you do plant it, you won't have to sell one of the kids to finance the replacement.

In summary it is an economical, simple trainer, but calling it a piece of s**t is overstepping it in my opinion.

All in all it's great value and does what it says on the box. The one we are flying here has 40 plus flights on it, and is still in perfect condition.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Erik R

Enjoy your airplane. All the best.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you guys have replied, I'll start out by apologizing for the use of the term morons. Spoken in haste.

The remainder of my statement stands. To put things in perspective, the average American salary is $2826 according to numbeo.com.
The average salary in many other countries for similar level of skill is very much lower in dollar terms. For instance, a degreed software engineer has an average salary of $2200.

This makes a Firebird like yours ($5000 for airframe and accessories, $3000 for Jetcat P180, $1000 for sundries) a considerable investment. Only people with a pretty high salary can contemplate that. ( not to mention that it's probably not the best "trainer" available. It's fast with a pretty high wing loading)
The Firebird under discussion opens the field to a heluva lot more ordinary folks. Yes, it wont last 1000 flights. Yes, it's not a carbon fiber wonder. And yes it may be a Chinese copy of an existing airframe. But when you make your rookie mistake and hook it back towards the runway in a tight turn, it won't bite and try burrowing a hole, and if you do plant it, you won't have to sell one of the kids to finance the replacement.

In summary it is an economical, simple trainer, but calling it a piece of s**t is overstepping it in my opinion.

All in all it's great value and does what it says on the box. The one we are flying here has 40 plus flights on it, and is still in perfect condition.

I don't think anyone here was saying go start out with a JMP Firebird, they were just saying give it a different name..
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

It comes down to wants and responsibility.
Lets put things in perspective.

I am self employed. According to your average american salary, I am below average, Note that I am Canadian and currently your monthly salary number equates to $3621 Canadian per month or roughly $43500 per year. That is a little less than what my wife and I make combined per year but quite a bit more than I make by myself. I have a mortgage, I have vehicle debt, I have credit card debt, I have to pay the same bills as everyone else, hyrdro, gas, water, taxes, groceries blah blah blah.
What does this mean? Not a damn thing except that I better make my dollars count every step of the way.

When I started in turbine modeling in 1999 it took roughly $10,000 of my Canadian dollars to buy an entry level jet. That was a fiberclassics kangaroo and a RAM750 turbine plus all the support gear needed back then. As the years went by I slowly bought a couple more jets, made some good deals, bought some used stuff etc BUT, I still bought the best stuff I could get. Even with that, back then, it was anybody's guess how long a RAM turbine would last, some lasted forever, others, like 2 of mine, blew up in a short amount of time. I spent a lot of time building fiberglass and foam kits as they were much less expensive than the full composite airplanes.
Eventually I was able to sell off a number of models (jet, pattern and sport alike) and buy a BVM Super Bandit. The super bandit once completed would represent $13,000 of my hard earned dollars and "trading up".

I had wanted a JMP Firebird since the day I first saw one come out. After flying the Super Bandit I realized I did not like that airplane. I put it up for sale. My $13,000 airplane only netted me $7500 with the turbine however, that was a large enough one time number to pay for a JMP Firebird (almost, the exchange rate wasn't in my favor at the time still). I ordered the firebird. Slowly I aquired the servo's I needed and then came the big hurdle of the turbine. For this jet the AMT NL Olympus HP was the only option in my mind. As luck would have it they had a florida jets special of $5000USD that year. I borrowed the money which I paid back by selling off a couple guitars and another jet that I had.

Now during all of this time I did have a number of less expensive jets but they were all from reputable manufactures. One of those jets I had was a Reaction 54. It was evident that Bruce Tharpe put a lot of thinking into this jet to make it the easy building easy flying and durable airplane that it is. While it did require building it was not really that much more expensive at the end of the day than this chinese copy called the "Firebird". The reaction flew great, in fact it is still flying today as far as I know with probably it's 5th or 6th owner. The airplane still had some value when I sold it as well. Not only that, it supported a business that has been supporting modellers for years.

I will continue calling this chinese abomination of a copy called a firebird a joke because it is. It is a poor copy of soembody else's hard work. 40 plus flights means little to me to be honest. I've seen many airplanes that were great after 40 flights, there have been many chinese jets that lasted 40 flights just fine only to blow apart without warning or signs in the next few.

Nobody in here has compared the chinese firebird to the JMP firebird outside of the name theft but I guess if one wanted they could accuse Tom Cook of stealing the name from Pontiac. It is however a rip off of a Reaction 54 and is yet another chinese company profiting off of somebody else's idea and design.

Oh, back to my firebird, by the time all the smoke had cleared, with the sale that AMT had on the engine, I was into that jet for about $15,000USD (almost 20K Canadian). Could I afford to replace it if I break it? Nope, not at all. But it kind of squashes your theory that only people with a high salary can contemplate owning one doesn't it?

No, it's not a good trainer and nobody has ever said it was, you are the only one who has compared airframe to airframe between the two firebirds. The chinese are capable of coming up with their own good designs, skymaster has done it a number of times. The biggest issue is few of these companies do any real testing themselves, instead they let their customers be the guinea pigs.
The field is open to anyone without having to buy a chinese copy. I have 2 jets to this day that I paid less than $2000 for turnkey. Both by American manufactures (not saying american manufactuers are the all end all, but they are original jets that have stood the test of time, both jets were built in 2000).

Yes, my firebird is a considerable dollar amount, so are my $2000 jets when you have to put money away for a long time to purchase one. But it comes down to want and smarts. I know a huge number of people who all say "I wish I could afford jets but they are way out of my price range". Truth is, they really aren't. Those same people will own 15 different foamies, 2 quadcopters, a 30CC something rather and a power substations worth of batteries. The difference is, they bought all of those $300 at a time instead of saving it to make one large purchase. In the meantime they still have $10,000 tied up in RC models. That will pay for a couple of brand new jets or a few used ones in today's market. Cheap chinese is tempting, but in the end, the few dollars I have need to last. I want airframes that I am confident will not blow apart in flight.

Just my 2 cents (now give it back, that's real money!)