Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for first sport turbine jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Recommendations for first sport turbine jet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM
DeltaViper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for first sport turbine jet?

I've been flying a Boomerang Elan over the summer and would like to move up to my first sport jet. Would anyone be able to advise whether I should go with a Skymaster X-Treme Dragon or AD Scorpion?
Or is there another model I should be considering?

My key considerations are:
- Cost
- Ease of assembly/build
- Quality/reliability
- Ease of landing (short runway) or ability to land/take-off on grass

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Global Jet Club Excalubur. Excellent quality, great grass/short field performance. Virtually lands itself. They are on special now and use a P-60 - Rabbit size motor. Everything you would ask for in a first jet. Really fast with a Rabbit and very agile.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on how much your willing to spend...

How big are you looking for.

One of the best flying sport jets out there for the money is the Elite Aerosport Shockwave. Then you have all of the BVM sport jets to choose from and you also have the Comp-ARF sport jets to consider.

All three of these companies products will last for ever as long as you follow the assembly instructions to the T. Also all of these companies planes are grass field friendly and are capable of short field landings.

So here are my choices.

1 Elite Aerosport Shockwave.
2 BVM Bobcat.
3 BVM Bandit Arf
4 BVM Kingcat
5 Comp Arf Ultra Flash
6 Comp Arf Ultra Lightning
7 Comp Arf Euro sport.
8 Comp-Arf Viper Jet

These are just my choices of the best flying and best quality jets for the money as a sport jet. They build great and will last a long time.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 11-29-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

I have a toki ducty delta wing with a jetcat p20 that's in the for sale section. It's a real fun low stress small field sport flyer.
let me know if you might have interest in it.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM
DeltaViper

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to stay in the 100-120 N range, so not too big. I'm also looking for low-stress flying and easy landings, without spending too much!
I thought the Dragon or Scorpion fit that bill... seems like there are many possibilities.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:48 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

UF

Why? its a sweet plane, and you don´t need to go at mach 1 all the time.

Last edited by erbroens; 11-29-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:48 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Dragon flies great. I have a 140 in mine . flies like a giant pattern plane . The skymaster 2M vipers are great also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atK_VpQBNiQ
Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with a Comp ARF Ultra Flash and wouldn't think twice. I believe this is the best sport jet on the market as of now and is very fairly priced. Easy to land, wide speed range, flys on rails, 15mins to pack in car! Unbeatable!!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend had a Dragon. He used almost 90 degree flap and will slow down immediately for an easy land.
I do think the UF is a better sport jet. You do need a good CG setup on it to make it easier to land (experts may argue the CG is not that critical, but hey they are experts and can land a brick if needed )
Old 11-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

actually it would be your second sport jet. unless the elan wasn't yours
It all come down to how much you want to spend. Build a turbinator or reaction 54, buy an ultra flash, xcaliber, ultima tun (I know of an unstarted kit is). Bobcat, Kingcat, Lots of choices
Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I have a friend who will be selling a brand new, never flown, turn key comp arf eurosport soon. Including transmitter, k140g very nice build. 6k range
Old 11-29-2014, 10:13 PM
number27

ultra flash or jet legend viper
Old 11-30-2014, 12:32 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra Flash
Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 AM
cosmo21

Originally Posted by DeltaViper
Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to stay in the 100-120 N range, so not too big. I'm also looking for low-stress flying and easy landings, without spending too much!
I thought the Dragon or Scorpion fit that bill... seems like there are many possibilities.
Its easy 100 120 - range. The Jet Legend Viper, not to $$$, fast, agile, aerobatic, no bad habits apart from the fact you'll find your self burning so much fuel cuz it's awesome haha, great on grass, looks cool. Uncomplicated, and easy to live with.
It's a no brainer really. Flys sweet.

Matt
Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 AM
bluescoobydoo

jet legend viper all day long, the above suggestions are good but at a cost
Old 11-30-2014, 03:40 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
jet legend viper all day long, the above suggestions are good but at a cost
I agree easily the best value for money and a nice predictable jet for this size turbine. It is available now in various states of assembly check out Global Jet Club. We have flown ours off grass and tarmac with standard retracts and tank layout using cheap servos and very old 80N Simjet. I have seen this Viperjet flying on engines up to 140N but it does not need more than 100N. The airframe is very slippery and it can be flown with low throttle and making flights very economical. Huge build thread on RCU with lots of suggestions.

John
Old 11-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Mike06659

The Ultra Flash is one bad jet!!!!!
Mike
Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 AM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jet Legend Viper 1.9M is a great jet with a 100N turbine. Mine is set up with a Jet Central Rabbit and flys great. This is a very simple jet and a lot of bang for the buck. Aside from a cortex gyro, mine is a stock set up.
Global Jet club is starting a new production run so they should be available very soon. You can contact Jose at [email protected] and he can answer any questions that you have. There are many levels of completion packages from standard airframe up to ready to fly.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:23 AM
jcterrettaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a good friend of Richard and we fly together turbine @ our Club. Richard is very humble but is a very good pilot . Can anybody have experience or advice on a Scorpion?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 AM
Midas D.

Ultra Flash 100%

Was my first as well, better said, was my first jet ever straight of prop plane's!

Best choice ever!!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:25 AM
DeltaViper

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice; very much appreciated!

It seems like there are several good first sport jet models (not including what I would consider to be a trainer, like my Elan), but based on the posts, I note two models in particular when it comes to price, quality, performance and overall satisfaction:
- Comp ARF Ultra Flash
- Jet Legend Viper 1.9

I will likely choose from one of the above. Ease of build/assembly is a major consideration for me given that I have limited time on my hands, so I am leaning a little towards the Viper.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Midas D.

The Flash build is like sticking together an Lego kit, saying that, stick to the recommended parts that will really make it very easy and straight forward.
As son as you go with different set up/parts it will increase building time.

But it fly's excellent on all the recommended stuff so why bother i would say, went that route on my first one and that took me quite some extra building time, now building one exactly as per manual and i'm doing it with your eye's closed.

It's hard to tell how much time you need, but i think both planes will end up around the same building time.

Flying the Flash will make you smile all day lang, she goes ballistic and as slow as you want without any bad habits of nasty stall's or any thing!

Really love this bird!!

( Building an 3e one, just to have one as an back up on the shelf for just in case )
Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by DeltaViper
I've been flying a Boomerang Elan over the summer and would like to move up to my first sport jet. Would anyone be able to advise whether I should go with a Skymaster X-Treme Dragon or AD Scorpion?
Or is there another model I should be considering?

My key considerations are:
- Cost
- Ease of assembly/build
- Quality/reliability
- Ease of landing (short runway) or ability to land/take-off on grass

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Navy Cat Carbon fiber $599.00 with retracts , brakes and all hardware. lands super slow loves grass on a K-80
Old 11-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the Pilot RC Dolphin Jet? $2600 includes everthing except the turbine and reciever. Everything is pre-installed. Gear, servos, everything. Why dump a pile of money into a first sport jet?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c.../pilot-rc.html

Then again, if cost is no object there are plenty of other options.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I was not so lucky with my UF. Everything was off center or out of alignment and it was quite a head ache at times. But I must have gotten one built on a Friday afternoon. My experience was unusual. In any event if flew very well, they are popular planes. There is just enough space in the fuselage, no more or less than needed, so everything will be a snug fit.
Never having had the Viper but having flown the big SM one I would see its advantages as having a bigger fuselage for working in, and presence in the air, so better visibility, and in the case of the one I flew, very neutral handling. Inverted or knife edge type stuff I thought it was superior. I guess I like scale and or bigger fuselage jets, the UF just didn't do it for me in the looks department. But smoke on at speed they are pretty wild.
FWIW, the CARF Hawk was my first jet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.