Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New IGYRO 3e is here!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New IGYRO 3e is here!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 AM
Pttcrisp
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the I gyro 1e on 2 planes and am very very pleased with it. I am using it on Ailerons

I have a F9 Panther and I now feel I would like a gyro on the ailerons and Rudder. I assume I can use 2 1e Gyros on the same plane if I Y lead the control channel. I know that I will have to have the same gain on both Axis but I am happy with this. AM I CORRECT.

I know I can go to the 3e but don't need it in elevator and also with 2 1es I save £30 and can also use them individually in other planes.

Interested in your comments
Old 08-16-2015, 05:55 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Just get the 3 axis and you won't look back.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Pttcrisp
Banned

Originally Posted by gunradd
Just get the 3 axis and you won't look back.
I prefer the simplicity of the 1e and as I said I can use the second 1e in another plane if it is not needed on the rudder.

Anyone know the answer to my question
Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 AM
Gordon W

I’ve just bought and flown a Cortex gyro, in which the “rate” and “hold” modes are mutually exclusive, at least out of the box. So at present I’m flying it in my Nano using the “rate” mode. Cortex warn against using “hold” mode for landing and general flying, suggesting that “hold” is only suitable for hovering and harrier-style manoeuvres.

OTOH, the iGyro3E’s “hold” mode appears to be a combination of “rate” and “hold” modes. In “hold” mode, rudder remains on “rate” mode throughout, but if the aileron and/or elevator and sticks are released to centre, those channels go into “hold” mode, and if you then move a stick, its channel returns to “rate” mode.

Is this correct?

If so, are the rate and hold gains both the same when in “hold” mode? I presume that out of the box they would be, but if you download the computer software, you can vary these rates individually.

Finally, is the iGyro3’s “hold” mode safe to have engaged during a whole flight including take-off and landing with a jet flown in a scale manner (including normal jet aeros)?

If not, when would you use that mode in a jet? Hovering and 3-D with vectored thrust, perhaps?

I need another 3-axis gyro (or two )and am wondering whether to plump for the iGyro3 this time as it’s cheaper (though a tad heavier) than the Cortex and can still be flown in “rate only” mode in the same way that I’m using my Cortex. Another plus for the iGyro3 is that it'll take 20A compared with only 10A for the Cortex, and the servo current is shared between all 5 channels and not just two as in the Cortex.

Last edited by Gordon W; 08-17-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 AM
gunradd

Yes this will work fine. A Y going to each gyro will work. But a 3E would be simpler . Panther will benefit allot with one on the rudder.

Originally Posted by Pttcrisp
I prefer the simplicity of the 1e and as I said I can use the second 1e in another plane if it is not needed on the rudder.

Anyone know the answer to my question
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 AM
gunradd

Gordon yes you can fly the 3E in heading hold mode through out the flight. I cant stand how it feels in heading mode and disabled heading hold on mine. Its good gyro for the money that works great. I do still preffer the cortex though. The more I mess around with these it seems that certain planes do better with the cortex and others do better with the 3E. Also every pilot is different. Both are huge advancements in the hobby!

Originally Posted by Gordon W
I’ve just bought and flown a Cortex gyro, in which the “rate” and “hold” modes are mutually exclusive, at least out of the box. So at present I’m flying it in my Nano using the “rate” mode. Cortex warn against using “hold” mode for landing and general flying, suggesting that “hold” is only suitable for hovering and harrier-style manoeuvres.

OTOH, the iGyro3E’s “hold” mode appears to be a combination of “rate” and “hold” modes. In “hold” mode, rudder remains on “rate” mode throughout, but if the aileron and/or elevator and sticks are released to centre, those channels go into “hold” mode, and if you then move a stick, its channel returns to “rate” mode.

Is this correct?

If so, are the rate and hold gains both the same when in “hold” mode? I presume that out of the box they would be, but if you download the computer software, you can vary these rates individually.

Finally, is the iGyro3’s “hold” mode safe to have engaged during a whole flight including take-off and landing with a jet flown in a scale manner (including normal jet aeros)?

If not, when would you use that mode in a jet? Hovering and 3-D with vectored thrust, perhaps?

I need another 3-axis gyro (or two )and am wondering whether to plump for the iGyro3 this time as it’s cheaper (though a tad heavier) than the Cortex and can still be flown in “rate only” mode in the same way that I’m using my Cortex. Another plus for the iGyro3 is that it'll take 20A compared with only 10A for the Cortex, and the servo current is shared between all 5 channels and not just two as in the Cortex.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Pttcrisp
Banned

Yes this will work fine. A Y going to each gyro will work. But a 3E would be simpler . Panther will benefit allot with one on the rudder.
Many thanks for the information.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Gordon W

Gordon yes you can fly the 3E in heading hold mode through out the flight. I cant stand how it feels in heading mode and disabled heading hold on mine. Its good gyro for the money that works great. I do still preffer the cortex though. The more I mess around with these it seems that certain planes do better with the cortex and others do better with the 3E. Also every pilot is different. Both are huge advancements in the hobby!
Thanks Gunradd. I did experiment some time ago with heading hold using an Eagle Tree 2D/3D stabilizer in another plane, with a view to setting up the plane for a sort of auto-land capability. It kinda worked but success wasn't all that repeatable though it was fun trying. The field where I fly now is bounded by trees which enforce fairly tight manoeuvring for landing, so I think the hold feature would be even less useful here during landings. Using 40% rate gain, landing approaches are much less stressful than with no gyro, as all I need to do these days is gently steer the plane to the runway threshold whilst the Cortex takes care of all the bouncy turbulence that used to have me wiggling the sticks all over the place trying to keep the plane on track.

Gordon
Old 08-18-2015, 04:17 AM
gunradd

I also played with the eagle tree heading hold. It worked pretty well but still preferred just regular rate mode. On the 3E the heading hold just felt to intrusive for my taste.

Originally Posted by Gordon W
Thanks Gunradd. I did experiment some time ago with heading hold using an Eagle Tree 2D/3D stabilizer in another plane, with a view to setting up the plane for a sort of auto-land capability. It kinda worked but success wasn't all that repeatable though it was fun trying. The field where I fly now is bounded by trees which enforce fairly tight manoeuvring for landing, so I think the hold feature would be even less useful here during landings. Using 40% rate gain, landing approaches are much less stressful than with no gyro, as all I need to do these days is gently steer the plane to the runway threshold whilst the Cortex takes care of all the bouncy turbulence that used to have me wiggling the sticks all over the place trying to keep the plane on track.

Gordon
Old 08-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the market for a gyro for a giant scale warbird. I have done quite a bit of reading on here and I am pretty confused on which gyro to go with. Seems like a toss up between the Cortex and the PB.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:38 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Gag Jr.
I am in the market for a gyro for a giant scale warbird. I have done quite a bit of reading on here and I am pretty confused on which gyro to go with. Seems like a toss up between the Cortex and the PB.
Tony,
There are advocates for both of these gyros but your "toss up" comment is probably closest to the truth. FWIW, I own both and I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. If you go with the Cortex just be aware that two servo leads provide the voltage for all servos connected to the unit. With a giant warbird, I would recommend connecting a battery directly to the gyro if you go with the Cortex.

I might also suggest that if anybody in your area has experience with one or the other gyro, go with that one. It's really nice to have somebody knowledgeable helping when you first set it up and with initial flights. Lacking that, both gyros (particularly the Cortex) have field reps and folks here on RCU to assist.

Craig
Old 08-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you Craig. I don't have anyone local using them so I will just come in here for advice and help. It sounds like both units are very reliable so I would go with whatever unit is easier to setup.

How does the PB recieve voltage? I assume it is different than the way the Cortex does?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigG
Tony,
There are advocates for both of these gyros but your "toss up" comment is probably closest to the truth. FWIW, I own both and I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. If you go with the Cortex just be aware that two servo leads provide the voltage for all servos connected to the unit. With a giant warbird, I would recommend connecting a battery directly to the gyro if you go with the Cortex.
I am running 5 powerful digital servos from the Cortex and that issue of getting current through just 2 leads does concern me a bit, as 4 of them are elevons which will all be worked at the same time so maximising the current drawn. However I can't see how you get a battery input on its own into the Cortex, could you explain please? The only spare socket is for the USB connection.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
I am running 5 powerful digital servos from the Cortex and that issue of getting current through just 2 leads does concern me a bit, as 4 of them are elevons which will all be worked at the same time so maximising the current drawn. However I can't see how you get a battery input on its own into the Cortex, could you explain please? The only spare socket is for the USB connection.
Harry,
I asked the same question when I first put a Cortex in my big Futura. Here is the reply from one of the Cortex reps in another RCU thread:

"Good question..
the small colored gauge wires are just signal wires.. there has been a lot of discussion about that for bigger jets.. what you can do is this..

The system harness has 2 red/white/black heavy gauge servo wires that power the bus and servos..
Options..
1. Add a servo wire with the signal wire pulled to the Bind port from any power source.(after it its set up and functioning) for more power
2. Add a Y cord downstream to any of the servo wires from any Power source, and it will add to power available for all the 5 ports..
3. If you are using a matchbox downstream (twin rudders), add a power source into one of the numbered ports and it will also back power and add to power available.."

FWIW, like you, I have just been using the two powered leads and have not had any problems.

Tony, to answer your question; the Cortex only passes power through 2 of the servo connections (just the signal wire through the others), whereas the 3E passes power through all the servo leads. I'm thinking that your giant warbird may put more of a load on the servos than some of our jets and you may want to augment the power if you go with the Cortex.

Last edited by CraigG; 08-19-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Harry you you can run power through the USB port.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

They are both different but equally easy to setup.

The IGyro uses hard coded outputs, 2 for elevator, 2 for aileron, 1 for rudder. If that satisfies your needs then you're fine. If you have a need to move things around, then the Cortex is more flexible in that it learns what is plugged in where during the learning sequence.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Gordon W

Originally Posted by HarryC
Hi Harry

The Eagle Tree stabilizer has a similar setup but worse in that it supplies servo power from Rx to gyro through just one lead, the remaining gyro input leads being single signal wires.

Since all the primary control servos are on extension leads, the way I dealt with this shortcoming was to extract the +ve and -ve connectors from a servo extension plug, and re-insert them in the appropriate gyro input plug. The now single wire servo plugs go into the gyro as normal, and the now 3-wire gyro plugs go into the appropriate Rx socket. This eliminates the need for Y-leads and passes power directly from the Rx to the servos.

Unfortunately not all servo connectors are the same, so this idea won't work with every avionic installation as the servo wire crimped connectors might differ from those of the gyro.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use Y harness(s) on the outputs of the gyro(s) and you can feed power directly to the servos from another battery or second switch or whatever.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys, I am installing an I-Gyro 3e in a Marchetti and am experiencing a couple of issues. The radio is 12x.

1- I have set it up in 3way switch with 0%, 15% and 25%. But it works reversed, meaning that at position zero, it has the most effect and at 25% position it has the least. Does anyone know how to fix it and make it shut down on position 0?

2- how can I turn off the heading hold?

3- 4 of the lights remain red and only rudder light goes green when it is on. Does anyone know why?

I have followed the instruction and mounting / wiring is perfect.

thanks in advance. Behzad
Old 01-21-2017, 05:38 PM
DUCMOZ

Sorry guys, one more question. On 12x, it does not let me to enter -any number. All numbers are positive. I think I am doing something wrong that I can't see.

thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think on your radio neutral is at 50 and the extremes are at 0 and 100. So to make the gyro inactive the setting needs to be at 50, for full gain in heading hold at 0 and full gain in rate mode at 100 (or vise versa). I remember some Spektrum systems were like this when setting up gyros on other people's helis, your JR may be similar.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Don't use the gyro function, use a switched channel or slider. The 3e works on travel percentage, that way you can have it off in he middle, rate mode oneway and heading the other. Fly the model and try the two options, you may like one more than the other, then you can zero one or the other end points and have a error free set up.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM
DUCMOZ

Hi Dave, thank you very much. By messing with it and just now talking with a friend that has done it, I was getting there but it really helps that you confirmed. I appreciate it.

Behzad
Old 03-31-2017, 03:51 AM
tow

About to mount a Igyro3e in a plane with a powerbox competition. Will the gyro go between servos -> powerbox ->reciever or ........... What do you guys do?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:24 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tow
About to mount a Igyro3e in a plane with a powerbox competition. Will the gyro go between servos -> powerbox ->reciever or ........... What do you guys do?
Assuming that you are NOT using a Powerbox SRS but the regular version instead, the gyro goes between the receiver and the PB. This way all servos have full protection through the PB. If it's the Competition SRS version, this one only has serial inputs and you can only install the gyro after the PB.

Thomas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.